DSON Importer for Poser 1.1.3.50 General Release, Now Available!

124»

Comments

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited January 2016

@ the group:   Genesis 3 does *NOT* support any version of Poser in any shape fashion or form.   The DSON Importer for Poser WILL show and load anything that was saved with Poser Companion Files.  However, if you try saving/exporting PCFs with Genesis 3 stuff from DS 4.8, it MIGHT export the items, but be substantiantially weirded out if it even loads in Poser.  frown

Post edited by McGrandpa on
  • I've been reading this and other threads.

Can I just check I have the right idea here. I am thinking of upgrading from basic Poser 8 to Poser 11 - not Pro.

As I understand it, I need to buy the DSON importer from the shop to be able to get most Daz stuff into Poser.

This Daz stuff is limited to G2 and prior and generally G3 is not working or is a pita to get limited results.

Is this about right ?

Thanks !

AS OF DS 4.8 a new "format" was created by DAZ for Studio to use.  It is a single universal format for DS.   Apparently Poser can use that format IF it has specific instruction for each item, these instructions are called Poser Companion Files, and DS 4.8 is able to create and save these PCF's.  I am not positive but I am thinking that the DSON Importer for Poser is still needed, even with the PCF's.  Things for the OLD format versions are what the DSON was created for, and still works for some 99% of the older than 4.8 versions of DS formats.   Posers later versions are able to use the DSON Importer which enables it to use most content for DS all the way up through Genesis 2.  DAZ specifically excluded Poser from any interpretation of information FOR Genesis 3 and have flooded the store with DS ONLY items too.

Genesis 3 does not work at all in Poser.    Now, that is for Genesis 3 FIGURE and by extension conforming items FOR Genesis 3.   The difference between DAZ and Poser actually stops right there.  UNLESS the authors of content specifically write their content to work in DS ONLY.  So, as an instance for enlightenment only:  Stonemasons China Town is sold as DS ONLY.   I used DS 4.8 to create Poser Companion Files for it, which failed.  Next I used DS 4.8 to export a Poser PROP of China Town, this succeeded beautifully.   NOTE:   The success or failure of these exportings will be entirely dependant on how the AUTHOR of the item creates and saves that item.  So it is actually best if a buyer goes by what information is given in the products store page.  If you are a Poser user and the item lists as DS ONLY, then it is unsupported for use in Poser and it may not work at all.  

ALL THAT BEING SAID, there are more tools right now, today, that allow Poser users to get DS content into Poser than any time in the past.  The writers of DS have always provided their users with the ability to read and use Poser content.   Shaders have always been a problem, but the item will always load.  THIS IS HOW DAZ MADE ITS ENTIRE LIVING.  DAZ has always been the leader in producing POSER CONTENT, and DS used it.  Period.    This condition no longer exists.  DAZ existence does not include Poser now.  However, DAZ people *DID* write the DSON Importer for Poser.   Smith-Micro people did nothing I am aware of to support the use of DAZ content.  Shame too cause SO FAR Poser animals and people are crap stood next to DAZ animals and people.

END MY PARTICIPATION IN THIS DISCUSSION.

McG.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

A few clarifications:

The DSON format (.duf) was introduced in DS4.5.  The DSON Importer is a plugin for Poser that enables it to read the DSON format.  Poser Companion Files are files that are visible in the Poser librries which call the DSON Importer to load the DSON files, since .duf files aren't visible inside Poser.  D3D also has a script which allows Poser to browse and load .duf files, but you still need the DSON Importer -- D3Ds script just lets you skip the Poser Companion Files and go directly to the ,duf files.

Older DS formats (.daz, .ds, etc.) won't work in Poser.  Most older content from the Daz3D store is available in Poser format and can be used in Poser without the need for the DSON Importer.

Genesis 1 and 2 used TriAx weight-mapping.  Poser 9 weight-mapping is similar to TriAx, so the DSON Importer can usually translate the TriAx weight-maps to Poser weight-maps.  Genesis 3 uses Dual Quaternion weight-mapping, which is (a) more standard in the industry outside of DS/Poser, and (b) much more compact than TriAx weight-mapping.  It would be virtually impossible to weight-map all the facial bones Genesis 3 has using TriAx.  Poser doesn't support Dual Quaternion, which is why Genesis 3 won't work in Poser even with the DSON Importer.

Items in the store which list "DSON Importer for Poser" under compatible software have been tested to work in Poser and have material presets which look good in Poser.  If something is listed as DS4.8 only, it MIGHT be usable in Poser if you create Poser Companion Files and tweak the materials yourself, but it isn't guaranteed.

• Ok thanks, so if I buy the DSON importer I should at least be able to use most G2 things yes ?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100

Ok thanks, so if I buy the DSON importer I should at least be able to use most G2 things yes ?

Just a note, it appears that something in Poser 11's SR1 changed something in Poser's API so the DSON Importer for Poser has an issue which causes the mouth and tongue to appear above the head of Genesis 2. 

Also note that the progress bar can be turned off in the DSON importer for Poser and if you don't turn it off then the new Poser 11 Library can fail. 

• Well I can't really use it then if the main character does not even work right, that's a pain. Thank you for saving me from wasting my money on Poser.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Ok thanks, so if I buy the DSON importer I should at least be able to use most G2 things yes ?

Just a note, it appears that something in Poser 11's SR1 changed something in Poser's API so the DSON Importer for Poser has an issue which causes the mouth and tongue to appear above the head of Genesis 2. 

Also note that the progress bar can be turned off in the DSON importer for Poser and if you don't turn it off then the new Poser 11 Library can fail. 

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?102493-Genesis-2-Poser-11-Misaligned-Mouth-Fix

• Any whizzkids on-line today (11 Sept??) I'm tearing my hair out trying to install DSON importer and loading a G2 figure. The documentation for G essentials talks about an installer installing, but it doesn't. It decompresses to a folder called "content" containing folders. See attached screenshot. This should not be so hard. Where does the CONTENT folder go? Where does the content of the CONTENT folder go? Any straight answers to these straight questions most gratefully appreciated. I've tried various positionings, but the best I can do is double-click G2 base in the library, and it loads a hierarchy, but does not show up in the viewports. Huh.

DAZ installer doesn't.jpg
    594 x 232 - 32K
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,783

1. The Importer installs to your Poser Program directory.

2.  The zip files from DAZ are set up to install using the DAZ Install Manager.  To manually install them for Poser, unzip them into a temporary  folder as you have, and drag the contents to the Content folder to a folder that has been added to the Poser Library.  Since you are just starting out, I would create a folder called Genesis2 or somesuch, drag the contents of the Content folder there, then add that folder to the Poser Library as an external Runtime...

• WandW, 

Finally, a clear answer! A thousand blessings on your household. I'll do as you suggest. I had actually tried to add the CONTENT folder as a runtime to my Poser library, and got an error message that it wasn't a Runtime. Go figure. Best regards, David

• I've had PP 11 for some months now, and DSON 1.1.3.50 working in both PP 2014 and PP 11.  Well, sort of.  I have and use Genesis 2 Figures and like them, right alongside all the old figures.  BUT, both my Poser Pro versions will crash doing the same things with the G2F/M figures.  Manual posing.  I can load pre-saved poses all day and its fine.  But not manual.  And obviously, I won't get Genesis anything into Poser without DSON working.

I downloaded DSON today and see it is up to 1.2.0.12.  Is this the best version, or do I need to go back even further to 1.1.3.49?

McG.

edited November 2016

I don't think there is any significant difference between 1.1.3.49 and 1.1.3.50; I use 1.1.3.49 because it's in my Product Library as the Beta version.  1.2.0.12  of course has the issue with the dented ankle whch apparently wont be fixed... 

Post edited by WandW on
  • OK (spins G2 Figure round) nope, no dent.  Have 1.1.3.50 installed in both PP 2014 and PP 11.  No dents.  I have noted that PP 11 will crash often while using Genesis 2.  Am thinking it might be related to my use of many external runtimes.  I hear there are folks with far more than this and on several different drives.  So this shouldn't be an issue, right?

Runtime Folders List s.jpg
    233 x 929 - 73K

The Dent is the reason I use the earlier version.  I myself haven't had issues with crashes in PP11 with Genesis 2.  I have 73 runtime folders in my Library...

edited November 2016

Thanks for the info WandW!    IF I keep growing my collection of content, I will eventually have as many I think.   I am limiting the size of each Runtime to a max of 22 gigs.  So they will fit on a BD-R disk.   I am wondering if I should have individual artists for V4 clothing too.  Gosh!  I doubt very seriously that my number of runtimes is cause for alarm anywhere now!  LOL!

Post edited by McGrandpa on
  • McGrandpa said:

Thanks for the info WandW!    IF I keep growing my collection of content, I will eventually have as many I think.   I am limiting the size of each Runtime to a max of 22 gigs.  So they will fit on a BD-R disk.   I am wondering if I should have individual artists for V4 clothing too.  Gosh!  I doubt very seriously that my number of runtimes is cause for alarm anywhere now!  LOL!

Don't forget that even regular bluray discs have a limited lifetime, and the data begins to degrade and be lost.

I have used CDs that have lost data after perhaps 10 years.

M-Discs made on an m drive are very good for archive and have a long life, up to 100 years I have been told by librarians who use them for archive work.

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 302
    nurmy said:

McGrandpa,thanks for this detailed and likeable comment( oct-05-2014). You are full of hope and optimistic that everything works well with Genesis as you want it. I keep the fingers crossed for you. As for me: I do not dive into all this problems with Genesis for Poser without knowing the final result. And I refer to the comment of Richard Haseltine: "For users of Poser 9/PoserPro 2012 it is possible to use the CR2 exporter in DAZ Studio to send Genesis to those versions of Poser, though there are feature limitations compared to the way Genesis performs in DAZ Studio 4."

Amen to both you and McGrandpa - a bit of a slow learner myself. I think the documentation could have been clearer in general.

• Where ca i download the 32b version of the dson i cannot find it anywhere

thanks

• Where ca i download the 32b version of the dson i cannot find it anywhere

thanks

In Install Manager, in the Ready to Download tab, click the Download Filters button and make sure that 32 bit software for your platform is checked. Also check the Show Hidden items box, just to be on the safe side.

• thanks, that got it

• Poser 11 just does not like Genesis 2 at all, so I go back and use poser 10 with as it is stable and reloads GF2 and GF1 saves, also a word of note I noticed that V4 poses do not scramble up any scenes when you use frames and V4 poses seem to agree with genesis 1 and 2 more than the ones created for her although you might need to adjust fingers and feet

Poser 11 just does not like Genesis 2 at all, so I go back and use poser 10 with as it is stable and reloads GF2 and GF1 saves, also a word of note I noticed that V4 poses do not scramble up any scenes when you use frames and V4 poses seem to agree with genesis 1 and 2 more than the ones created for her although you might need to adjust fingers and feet

Your problem is likely that Poser 10 and Poser 11 are using different writable runtime folders, which is where the importer stores the converted assets.  The default location is the default Poser content folder for that version of Poser.  Try copying the files in Poser 10 content runtime/DSON/auto_adapted to the corresponding directory in Poser 11's content folder. 

Also, multiple auto_adapted folders in your Library will cause problems; I consolidated them all in  the runtime folder where I install my DAZ Genesis content (which coincidentally I use for DAZ Studio's content wink ) and pointed the Importer to use that one as the Writable Runtime Folder in Scripts>DSON Support>Importer preferences.  More details here...

http://daz3d.com/forums/discussion/73999/keep-track-of-your-dson-files-in-poser-11

• The DSON importer for Poser doesn't work for Poser 12 because Poser 12 has a newer Version of Python  in it. Does anybody know if there will be a new DSON Importer for Poser 12? It would be a pitty if all Genesis figures aren't usable in Poser. This would also mean that the DAZ-Figures aren't longer interesting for Poser user. It can't be in the interest of the creators of Genesis-Figures too cut off this group of buyers, can it?

• A moment's search would discover that this has been asked time and time and time and time and time again.  Literally hundreds of times. Do some search before you revive a read thread from 2018 and waste everyone's time.

The DSON importer for Poser doesn't work for Poser 12 because Poser 12 has a newer Version of Python  in it. Does anybody know if there will be a new DSON Importer for Poser 12? It would be a pitty if all Genesis figures aren't usable in Poser. This would also mean that the DAZ-Figures aren't longer interesting for Poser user. It can't be in the interest of the creators of Genesis-Figures too cut off this group of buyers, can it?

Since the new software bridges here at DAZ are open-source, I've been hoping that the DSON Importer would be made so as well...