Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Sonja,  If you have any questions about shaders in Carrara there are many threads... some I list in my Shader Creating & Settings for Carrara - Q&A - Come One, Come All thread... feel free to ask anything there you want to know.

Thanks for the offer on DS questions I have.  I'd been studying it last winter but lost interest when the first encrypted content was released. One of the main reasons I started re-learning Carrara was I wanted the ability to model objects, people and creatures in Carrara. Studio is a powerful tool. A kewl feature is to model clothing in Carrara and use DS to automagically have it applied to use on a DAZ figure and later sell it, use for personal use or share it.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    wgdjohn said:

Sonja,  If you have any questions about shaders in Carrara there are many threads... some I list in my Shader Creating & Settings for Carrara - Q&A - Come One, Come All thread... feel free to ask anything there you want to know.

Thanks for the offer on DS questions I have.  I'd been studying it last winter but lost interest when the first encrypted content was released. One of the main reasons I started re-learning Carrara was I wanted the ability to model objects, people and creatures in Carrara. Studio is a powerful tool. A kewl feature is to model clothing in Carrara and use DS to automagically have it applied to use on a DAZ figure and later sell it, use for personal use or share it.

One of the main reasons I picked it up was for the modelling aspect as well.  something I really really want to learn how to do. I will be over checking all the threads out no worries there, and I am sure I will have lots of questions lol.

Sonja, For modeling I found this video by Dmensiont, DimensionTherory, for a good introduction for some of the main modeling tools and how to use them...  Carrara Vertex Modeling Tutorial Part 1 - An Intro to most of the tool icons in Carrara and how to use them, what they do as well creating some cool objects for inspiration. Don't miss Part 2.

Awesome thank you!  Will be checking that out on my lunch tomorrow lol.  I was having issues with missing tabs and stuff tonight, no unwrap tab for the uv's and missing several tabs along the top.  Finally got it figured out, I had to re input the serial number.  Took a couple of hours to work that one out and lots of help from a couple folks over in the Carrara thread.  I am so excited to finally get to the point where I might actually be able to do some real modelling!  Thanks so much for your help and suggestions as well as the links!

edited November 2016

Do you have all 3 entries yet for It's Raining Men Again Competition -- Starts now! Entry Thread I've tossed in an additional amount for a Carrara render which falls into a spot in any placements... 1,2,3 etc.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Enjoying the thread! Hope you have fun with Carrara (I have it, never used it. Not enough time in the day.)  Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

wgdjohn said:

Do you have all 3 entries yet for It's Raining Men Again Competition -- Starts now! Entry Thread I've tossed in an additional amount for a Carrara render which falls into a spot in any placements... 1,2,3 etc.

Haven't even started lol.  Might give it a go if I can find the time.

edited November 2016

I think i'm going to give the Its Raining Men Challenge a try in Carrara.  Unfortunately tonight is going to be a watch videos and read tutorials night as I have had a massive migraine all day.  Took my meds, took a 2 1/2 hour nap and feel better but not up to anything that remotely resembles serious concentration lol.  I decided to take the laptop up to bed with me in case I fall asleep in the middle of something (the meds make me very sleepy, which is why I avoid them until I absoluteyl have to take them, and can't take them while working.  It was a long day at work!) and my husband knows to just shut the laptop and move it off the bed.  Although he tends to forget the mouse which can make for lumpy sleeping lol.  Anyway, if I'm in the middle of a conversation with you and I all of a sudden disappear for the night, I probably crashed.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Check out all the cool and quick models made for Animation Clubs 3rd animation starting - Story Decided, Modeling starting. I've modeled a few simple things while other much better modelers are building all kinds of creatures, cars and other stuff.

• I would definitely love to see what you come up with for the contest.  Sorry to hear about the migraines.  Those can be brutal.  Glad it seems to be better.

Ugh I'm ready to rip my hair out!  It should NOT be this hard to figure out how to UV map a simple freaking post. The bottom, the middle, the top.  Should not be hard.  should just be able to click where I want the seam, then unrwrap.  The directions are detailed and easy to follow. Except I can't get the darn thing to do what its supposed to do!  Ugh, I quit for the night and am going to work in Studio where I know how stuff works. Moving  around in Carrara is driving me a bit nuts as well.  It takes me ten minutes in the model room to flip the object around so I can pick which verices I need.  Or maybe I will just go read a good book.

Sonja, Don't go pulling any hairs.  Check out UV Mapping and Unfold and A UV mapping problem. I've not taken the time to learn UV mapping well. Some folks prefer to used other programs to do this because they are easier... but I want to find out why.  Here is a real good and simple video... UV Mapping in Carrara 8.5 by Keith Unitt-Jones.

Thank you!  No actuall hair was ripped out only virtual hair lol.  Had to step away for a bit.  Will watch these and tackle this again tomorrow.  I have another UV mapping program but haven't used it yet.  I would like to just do it all in one program if its at all possible.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Sonja, feel your frustration.  I posted a walk-through for some of the uvmapping selection and zooming tools.  Hope it helps.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1790586/#Comment_1790586

Oh thank you so much! 

edited November 2016

Okay, no laughing.  I did get the posts uv mapped but not sure what I am supposed to do with them lol.  I modelled the wall the balcony and the posts and just added simple textures to them.  Followed the tutorial over on the Carrara thread . Obviously there are improvements that could be made as far as lining up the posts a bit better etc.

1st Modelling attempt.jpg
    640 x 480 - 48K

Yay!  Now that you have started making your own models to supplement your Daz stuff, your imagination has no limits!  Congratulations.  Next, you will have Eva Peron singing on a balcony.  Or Juliette being wooed by Romeo.  Or John Wilkes Booth assassinating Lincoln.  Or those two old guys from the muppet show heckling the rest of the show.  Just keep experimenting and asking questions.

As far as constructive feedback goes, you might open your shader for the wall and increase the rate that it tiles your shader so the cracks are not as big. 

• I'd say that model turned out okay for a first attempt.  Better texturing would help, maybe increasing the tiling, but it isn't anything to laugh at.  Good job, girl!  I'm so proud and happy for you!  :)

diomede said:

Yay!  Now that you have started making your own models to supplement your Daz stuff, your imagination has no limits!  Congratulations.  Next, you will have Eva Peron singing on a balcony.  Or Juliette being wooed by Romeo.  Or John Wilkes Booth assassinating Lincoln.  Or those two old guys from the muppet show heckling the rest of the show.  Just keep experimenting and asking questions.

As far as constructive feedback goes, you might open your shader for the wall and increase the rate that it tiles your shader so the cracks are not as big. 

I'd say that model turned out okay for a first attempt.  Better texturing would help, maybe increasing the tiling, but it isn't anything to laugh at.  Good job, girl!  I'm so proud and happy for you!  :)

As soon as I figure out where, exactly. the tiling parameters are I will most definitely do that lol!
    I was shocked I managed to get any type of texture onto them.  I will admit the materials room is a bit intimidating, there is a LOT of different parameters.  But I will keep working on it and watching and reading as much as I can.

And thank you KM I finally sat down and did it lol.

edited November 2016

I think you should just bask in the glory of doing new stuff.  However, since you asked, here is where you can change the tiling for a shader.  I couldn't do it exactly like yours becase I'm not sure which shader you are using, but here I tiled a brick map.

hh01b texture room.jpg
    1169 x 916 - 421K
    hh01 wall test render no tiling.jpg
    640 x 480 - 29K
    hh03b tile box.jpg
    1113 x 856 - 402K
    hh04 test render tiled.jpg
    640 x 480 - 32K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Ah thank you!  I am basking lol.  I am actually in photoshop adding snowflake tatoos to a skin for the newbie contest lol.  The shader I used was just a simple .jpg file.  I have a rather large library of photo textures...

edited November 2016

Sonja, Cool!  Very nice job... my first attempt did not look nearly that good... I've even had some very unexpected ones earlier this year.  I don't notice the posts not lining up.  Here is my method of lining up objects and vertices etc... use the move tool and select each object one at a time... look at the xyz coords in the upper right panel to see which ones need adjusting. I'll copy the cordinate that I want all to be that are in a row and paste it into any which need to be corrected.

For your wall texture... if it is a texture map it needs to be tiled, as stated earlier. If it is procedural you probably need to play with the scaling.

One distracting thing that quickly caught my eye was the roughness, bends in polys, around the circular part of the opening.  I just posted an example of using Smoothing in my modeling thread... Check it Out... also see earlier posts of mine and also the latest one by 3DAGE earlier.

I'm curious... do you have an experience modeling in another program? Either way you learn a lot faster than I have. Three cheers for Sonja... Hip Hip Hooray x3. :)

Thanks wgdjohn!  No other experience.  I have opened and closed blender numerous times, just couldn't make heads or tails.  Watched a ton of videos.  Checked out all of the links you and others have shared.  The wall was done with a spline something or other?  Not the vertex modeler.  Don't know if that matters or not.

edited November 2016

Ah, you added a spline object from Assemble room which takes you into the spline modeler. I'm rendering at the moment so can't check but the Spline modeler has some cool functions like bezier curves... like in vector graphics.. the roughness is likely due to a lack of or too many points in the bezier curves or the handles not being adjusted just right... perhaps not stretched out enough??... or... I can't really say... need more practice in the Spline modeler... concentrating on Vertex modler for for most of this year... and still a lot to learn. Diomede is very good and familiar with modeling... check his windows in the walls. I've not taken the time to read his entire thread... just bit's and pieces... I need to go back and model some of the things done there.

For a user with no experience in another modeler... your work is progressing at astonishing leaps and bounds. Fantastic!

You can reduce the roughness in the spline modeler by using the menu choices GEOMETRY : SURFACE FIDELITY and increasing the percentage from 100% to something like 400%.

wgdjohn said:

Ah, you added a spline object from Assemble room which takes you into the spline modeler...     ... the roughness is likely due to a lack of ...

For a user with no experience in another modeler... your work is progressing at astonishing leaps and bounds. Fantastic!

Thank you!  Most of the credit goes to you guys with all the helpful tutorials and walk throughs.  The balcony is a walk through on Diomedes thread.  Modelling is something I've wanted to do for some time but put off because I found it very intimidating lol.  And I felt I needed to have a good grasp of the basics in Studio. Now that winter is here I will have more time to devote to this as well.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

So much new stuff around here! I admire your energy taking up Cararra! I'm sufficiently stuffed the DS. Not much inpout I can give you for that exept that I'm amazed about the progress you make.

Aw thank you Linwelly!  I don't know about energy, maybe curiosity.  And I love to learn.

Thanks diomede,  I'm headed over to your thread... I'm in a spline mood tonight.

edited November 2016

Damen and Aylin - by Darwins Mishaps.  This is pretty dark, its slated for some post work hopefully this weekend.  I have another one cooking that is exactly the same but the I have the light coming from the front.  Might end up compositing the two.  Need to add dirt and some other things as well.

Stolen Moment.png
    2065 x 1652 - 4M
This discussion has been closed.