which software is in fluid simulation videos?

Hello, I was searching for the answer but can't really find it in clear terms- what software has fluid and water simulation? I assume poser? Or addons to import blenders fluid sim? The render quality in some of these anims leads me to think poser or maybe even maya...-thanks for your time.

Comments

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 508
    edited November 2016

deleted - thought it was about daz studio

Post edited by DigiDotz on
  • Noved1Noved1 Posts: 160
    edited November 2016
    I figured the poser section, as it has simulation dynamics, would be a good place to ask
    Post edited by Noved1 on
  • highly likely it is Blender if not a high end software like Realflow.

I know at least one Carrara user who imported Realflow sims as an obj series which could also be done in DAZ studio using Casuals script for obj sequences, but its a very pricey software, Blender is free and I have even done fluid sims in that but I have had no luck exporting them, but thats user ignorance.

• ShemeiShemei Posts: 21

Nerd3D has a spray and splash tool that he has developed.  It works in Works in Poser7+, DAZ Studio 3.x, and DAZ Studio 4.6+. Does not work in DAZ Studio 4.0-4.5 due to issues with geometry switching.  It can be used for both stills and animations.  I don't know if this is what you are looking for but here is a link to a video tutorial on it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKaoT_lRHFI  There are some still renders of the splashes on the store page for it at Hivewire3D.

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215
    edited November 2016
    Noved1 said:
    Hello, I was searching for the answer but can't really find it in clear terms- what software has fluid and water simulation? I assume poser? Or addons to import blenders fluid sim? The render quality in some of these anims leads me to think poser or maybe even maya...-thanks for your time.

It all depends on what sort of water animations you're looking for. Both Poser, with Bullet Physics, and DS, with whatever it uses, support "particle generators" and basic object physics. This lets you, for instance, have a "spray" of "water-like" particles gushing around.

However, AFAIK, these are individual instances of objects, either generated or actual. What that means is that it's not easy to get them to look like they coalesce to come together to form larger bodies of water. ie: Combining or pooling to form a puddle, pond, ocean, etc.. AFAIK, they will remain distinct, individual, particles without some visual tricks by the animator. (Loading "growing" particles at some point, reducing number of generated smaller particles, hiding them, using material tricks, etc.)

There are two extremely difficult types of animation to do properly. One of them is realistic hair animation. And, the other is... you guessed it - Fluids. :) Blender can do fluids and Poser uses a version of Blender's Cycle engine and has a native Bullet Physics engine, so there could be some help there, eventually, for conversions back and forth from/to Poser and Blender. I don't know how iRay works in regards to physics calcs and materials, so I can't chime in on that.

High-end, complete, 3D packages for creation and animation generally have some sort of particle system as well as fluid animation and liquids. But, as these are the most difficult physics to render properly, they're pretty intensive. Approximations can be done, with a bunch of work, using things like Poser's Cloth Room combined with Bullet Physics, I'd imagine, to yield a basic fluid-like liquid animation.

Post edited by Morkonan on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

Most of the time if you see water in CG (outside a Pixar film) it's RealFlow.  It's become a market standard on the level of Zbrush for sculpting and Substance Painter for hard surfaces.  It costs more than either, but at this point most people and organizations will consider it to be worth it.

Blender is capable of doing a few things with fluid sim.  Realistic small splashes is not one of them.  I say this with some confidence because I've spent hours and hours trying; for my own water products I ended up manually creating and duplicating a LOT of small droplets before I learned to use the particle system.  It's very hard to get something that isn't chunky and goo-like out of Blender's fluids if you're trying to have it splash or fall or do anything but slowly flow and slosh in a container.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Blender is capable of doing a few things with fluid sim.  Realistic small splashes is not one of them.  I say this with some confidence because I've spent hours and hours trying; for my own water products I ended up manually creating and duplicating a LOT of small droplets before I learned to use the particle system.  It's very hard to get something that isn't chunky and goo-like out of Blender's fluids if you're trying to have it splash or fall or do anything but slowly flow and slosh in a container.

Or make seascapes without spray....

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215

It's very hard to get something that isn't chunky and goo-like out of

Did you really have to use those words... I haven't been feeling well the last few days, if you know what I mean. :) :D

(Gave me a laugh, needed it, thanks!)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited November 2016
    Morkonan said:

It's very hard to get something that isn't chunky and goo-like out of

Did you really have to use those words... I haven't been feeling well the last few days, if you know what I mean. :) :D

(Gave me a laugh, needed it, thanks!)

Hope this helps...

Something I've found with Blender's fluid sim...larger is 'better'.

It does a decent job with things like swimming pools, lakes, oceans, rivers...but not so good with a glass of whiskey or a faucet running in a sink.

tissues.png
    512 x 512 - 192K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on