Can you change the splash screen (start up) image?

ManOfSteelManOfSteel Posts: 14
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Where does that image reside? Is it possible to change it? I'm tired of seeing that girl sitting on the rocks.

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited November 2012

Credits:
    Scene: David Brinnen (free with Bryce extra content)
    Lions: Millennium Lion LE (free from Daz)
    Rendered: Bryce7 Pro (free from Daz)
    Irony: Supplied free of charge by me.

:coolgrin:

Loins-Main.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 340K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • ManOfSteelManOfSteel Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Beautiful! But do you know how to change it?

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Nice Dave... nice...

OK, no I don't think so. In answer to the question. What was suggested was that the splash scene should be picked up from a folder where Bryce is installed and if more than one scene is sitting in that folder then it should make a random choice (that way users could have Bryce launch with a gallery of their own favourite scenes) and it would mean you wouldn't have to look at the same scene every time Bryce launched. But I don't think this was ever implemented. I did though create some examples to test this with.

Splash_eg5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 313K
    Splash_eg4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 361K
    Splash_eg3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 386K
    Splash_eg2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 301K
    Splash_eg1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 357K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Beautiful! But do you know how to change it?

No, I've just had a good snoop around and can't find the source file anywhere.

There is a way around it though.

Start Bryce in the usual way by clicking a Bryce document or clicking the Bryce application icon.
    As soon as Bryce begins to start, look away (maybe out of the window, or at the cat).
    After about 60 seconds, it's safe to look at the monitor again as the splash screen will have gone.

Hope this helps.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited November 2012

Where does that image reside? I believe it is embedded in the "Bryce7 / data / splashscreen.dat" [Resource composite] file.

Is it possible to change it?

Possibly, but certainly not easily. If that file is missing or corrupt, Bryce will not start.
    Post edited by stem_athome on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Credits:
    Scene: David Brinnen (free with Bryce extra content)
    Lions: Millennium Lion LE (free from Daz)
    Rendered: Bryce7 Pro (free from Daz)
    Irony: Supplied free of charge by me.

:coolgrin:

Oh my, that poor girl, bad kitties!

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited November 2012

This is easy enough to get around. Back up the file, try various methods to see if the image section in the file can be located and surgically replaced with the end result still usable. Replace with original backup if necessary. Common method for hacking these types of things. Also works with using hex editor on old computer games to change character stats ;p

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Nice Dave... nice...

OK, no I don't think so. In answer to the question. What was suggested was that the splash scene should be picked up from a folder where Bryce is installed and if more than one scene is sitting in that folder then it should make a random choice (that way users could have Bryce launch with a gallery of their own favourite scenes) and it would mean you wouldn't have to look at the same scene every time Bryce launched. But I don't think this was ever implemented. I did though create some examples to test this with.

That was a brilliant idea too bad they didn't implement it.

edited December 1969

Nice Dave... nice...

That was a brilliant idea too bad they didn't implement it.

Yeah, well, even though it's my own image I figured even I would get tired of seeing it eventually. So I can't blame anyone else for feeling the same way. My apologies Man of Steel.

• ManOfSteelManOfSteel Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

...As soon as Bryce begins to start, look away (maybe out of the window, or at the cat).
    After about 60 seconds, it's safe to look at the monitor again as the splash screen will have gone..

Wah! I followed your advice and looked out the window, and what do I see? A girl sitting own on some rocks!

Yeah, well, even though it's my own image I figured even I would get tired of seeing it eventually. So I can't blame anyone else for feeling the same way. My apologies Man of Steel.

Oh my goodness. Don't apologize. It's such a nice image. As is too often heard...
    ...it's not you, it's me.
    I'm one of those people who gets tired of the same visual stimulus quickly. All the rooms in my house are painted the same cool white because, while I can get enamored of a color, I know in a week I'll be sick of it. I have no bumper stickers on my car. My computer's desktop is a slowly moving abstract image; no desktop picture, no icons, no clock, no doo dads, no gizmos. I change the skins on my programs regularly, but they're all black and minimal. While watching "Superman" one day with a friend, she commented that the planet Krypton looked so plain, sterile, inhuman, and cave-like.
    I said, "I know. Isn't it wonderful?"
    You can find the splash screen image in Poser and change it. I just thought it would be fun to do with Bryce.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Nice Dave... nice...

David stop teasing folks with postings of photographs, there is no way those are Bryce renders, and if they are, I want the version you have, mine doesn't do that. :)

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Nice Dave... nice...

David stop teasing folks with postings of photographs, there is no way those are Bryce renders, and if they are, I want the version you have, mine doesn't do that. :)

Now then.

Scene 2 and scene 4 you've got! They are in your free content.

Free content cloud over big sur 1.br7

Free content R4 1.br7

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

My computer's desktop is a slowly moving abstract image; no desktop picture, no icons, no clock, no doo dads, no gizmos. I change the skins on my programs regularly, but they're all black and minimal.

You must lead such a hollow life.... :)