The older generation: Victoria 2/3, Michael 2/3 and their children renders

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

That bratty...as in you'd swear she was possessed?

Umm...not quite THAT bratty...but close.

• There isn't a lot of content for Laura or Millenium Girls, is there?

​Here is MG coming out of the Witches House in a recent render I did...
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/237426/

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

There isn't a lot of content for Laura or Millenium Girls, is there?

It's more that they are so old...a huge chunk of content that used to exist no longer does...it's been 'retired' from stores, stores have closed, artists have closed websites and so on.  Another thing is much of it has/had rather restrictive use clauses...and most of it (especially the free items) was tied to very specific versions of things (like the models/Poser version/etc).  Also, much of it was not allowed to be redistributed in the event the original download location/method ceased to exist, so even if someone has  treasure trove, they can preserve it, but not do much else with it.

• It's more that they are so old...a huge chunk of content that used to exist no longer does...it's been 'retired' from stores, stores have closed, artists have closed websites and so on.  Another thing is much of it has/had rather restrictive use clauses...and most of it (especially the free items) was tied to very specific versions of things (like the models/Poser version/etc).  Also, much of it was not allowed to be redistributed in the event the original download location/method ceased to exist, so even if someone has  treasure trove, they can preserve it, but not do much else with it.

​I am very involved in the retro video game community and preserving the code from the late 70s, 80s and 90s despite copyrights that no one actually cares about anymore.

​Let me just offer that when data dies because of protection that has no economic benefit for ANYONE, anymore...

​Everyone loses.

• And I couldn't make block quotes work for that last post, either.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

Wow Kerya ! Renders look great yes

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited October 2016

Very nice to see a thread dedicated to the old-timers. I have recently dusted off Michael 3 (so to speak) and brought him back into service. There's something about his body type that is really appealing for the current, Non-Photo Realistic (NPR), comic style work I'm currently doing. Plus, there are a LOT of free morphs out there for him, making it very easy to create a wide variety of figures. Here are some of the images I found by doing a quick search of my gallery.

These two are my most recent uses of M3, which I did in July. I chose M3 for this treatment because ther was a free Bela Lugosi head morph I could apply.

M3 Guard Full Body  M3 Guard Face

These next images are oldies, but (I hope) goodies. I made them in 2008 and 2007, respectively. For these, I was experimenting with Poser's sketch renderer. The results were okay, especially considering the technology available 8-9 years ago.

This was one of my earliest efforts, from 2003! Yikes, that's a long time ago! Nevertheless, it was one of the first images I did that I was really happy with.

The Whistling Hangman

M3_Guard_Face.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 211K
    M3_Guard_Full.jpg
    1000 x 1185 - 361K
    M3_Bounty_Hunter_Artsy.jpg
    800 x 600 - 214K
    M3_Bounty_Hunter_Sketched.jpg
    947 x 1013 - 131K
    Whistling_Hangman.jpg
    550 x 480 - 41K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Nice to see this thread is alive. :o)

Great renders!

Freebies for Millgirls: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Millennium_Girls

and Laura: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Laura

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412

For those using Laura, there's a free morph set for her at ShareCG, which is especially useful since DAZ has vaulted the Laura/Luke face and body morph sets:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/56962/gallery/11/Poser/135-Morphs-for-Laura-3

There's also a set for those who can't use PMD files:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/73761/related/11/Poser/Laura-3-Morph-Pack-CR2Diff-Beta

I don't know how that one works; I still have DS3 installed and so I just use the first one.

Also, the Laura morphs can be injected into other figures, like Luke and the Mil Baby 3. Here's a quick test render I did with the Mil3 baby using a mix of the baby morphs and the 135 Morphs for Laura 3:

mil3bab-laura-morphs.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 308K

Cute baby!

Thanks for the reminder of DieTrying's morphs - I added them to the Wiki.

You're welcome!

Making a cute Mil3 baby face has been a bit of a challenge for me. One of these days I'll get around to buying the CDI set for this little figure.

There were nice freebies for the PT Girl, like the Miko uniform.

Miko-PTGirl.png
    850 x 1200 - 710K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Lovely thread- some of these renders look better than some of what I'm seeing from the other generations- it's the skill of the artists!  wink

mmalbert said:

You're welcome!

Making a cute Mil3 baby face has been a bit of a challenge for me. One of these days I'll get around to buying the CDI set for this little figure.

There were nice freebies for the PT Girl, like the Miko uniform.

The Miko Uniform is still available: http://web.archive.org/web/20061017162942/http://digitalbabes2.com/~yamato/MilGirl.html

laugh

Wanna see a very old render (2008) of the Milbaby3 in DazStudio?

A child's fantasy

Credits:
    Milbaby3
    Lily (texture) - Thorne and Sarsa (morph by me)
    Dazzling gaze - TiffT785
    Ysaris hair - AprilYSH
    Omaru - Batlab (limited time freebie)
    Mute Swan - ContentParadise
    Niké's Place#1 - vikike176
    Weeping Willows - Paleman
    Pondlife plants - Lisa Buckalew
    Water displacement map - mcvdaz
    Background - Jean-Luc Ajrarn

achildsfantasy.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 203K

That's a pretty cute Mil3 baby! I assume that little riding toy is no longer available?

And yes, many blessings upon the Wayback Machine. laugh 

Unfortunately the "riding toy" (which is a potty) was one of Batlab's limited time freebies. I just thought a baby sitting on that potty may be fantasizing about real swans ...

• Very nice to see a thread dedicated to the old-timers. I have recently dusted off Michael 3 (so to speak) and brought him back into service. 

Superb stuff! Yeah, M3 has an "edge" other Michaels sorta don't.

Elleque's free Stuart character comes with very useful shoulder fix deformers:

http://elleque.net/?p=3291

In DS, all conforming clothing automagnetises to the figure's magnets, so this type of fixes is much more useful than just morphs.

• nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited November 2016

Just found this thread. I've used Aiko3 as my primary model for the last 6 years.
    If you check my page on DeviantArt, you will find that Aiko is in almost all of my renders.
    I also use Luke3, Laura3, Vicky3 & Mike3.

I never got into Genesis as it didn't work in DS2 or DS3. I never liked the user interface in DS4, so I didn't use it.
    That and the fact that 3rd gen models use about half the memory space as 4th gen or 5th gen models.
    Since I do a lot of ensemble renders, I have to watch the scene file size.

Up until just recently I was using winXP and was limited to 3.5 gigs of memory.
    Now that I finally upgraded to win7, I can use the 12 gigs of ram that my machine has.
    So along with rebuilding my runtimes, I installed DS 4.8, plus all the free starter files.
    Yes I did backup everything, but I still have to rebuild most of my scene files, as half the props are missing.

My first Iray render is in this month's freebie contest. And 3 of the models are 3rd gen! A3, Luke & Laura.

shezow

Now I have to download all the Genesis stuff that I 'purchased' from the DAZ store but never used.
    I'm a pack rat, if it was free I grabbed it. Now I have to see just what I have in inventory.

Post edited by nitehawk_ltd on

I like that ladybug! Cute - and a pink car!

• I remembered that one of my favourite Thorne/Sarsa characters, Azha, is MilGirl-based =)

Here is the DAZ gallery page with all the links to the products used.

Lovely! I like your lighting and her skin tone!

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited November 2016

So I thought I would help Victoria 2 come into the Studio 4 world and I created a iRay setting for one of her free texture sets. I have packaged it up and have uploaded it to Sharecg (https://www.sharecg.com/v/86560/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Creating-Victoria-2-iRay-Material-Files) if any of you are interested. It has a tutorial that will allow you to take any of the Vickie's texture sets and create an iRay material preset. You will have to download the texture zip from Arrow3D to use the preset. All of this information in included in the package. and now I give you, Victoria 2, as the Vargas Girl.

VargasGirl-DAZ.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 231K
    Post edited by DollyGirl on
  • Kerya said:

Lovely! I like your lighting and her skin tone!

Thank you Kerya! The lighting is quite simple actually, it's my "dev rig" single mesh light plane (iabout 100x40cm and positioned at an angle at about 250 cm from the floor). It gives a pure white light. And then there is an HDR for environment light and reflections - this time, it was Frozen Waterfall from here: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive/

• DollyGirl said:

So I thought I would help Victoria 2 come into the Studio 4 world and I created a iRay setting for one of her free texture sets. I have packaged it up and have uploaded it to Sharecg (https://www.sharecg.com/v/86560/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Creating-Victoria-2-iRay-Material-Files) if any of you are interested. It has a tutorial that will allow you to take any of the Vickie's texture sets and create an iRay material preset.

A commendable work on the tutorial, DollyGirl! Let's hope people will try their hand at this and expand their creative options.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

@DollyGirl - and the render is quite nice as well - thanks for the tutorial!

@Mustakettu85 - quite beautiful - both the character and the render.

--ms

DollyGirl: Thank you very much! Looks great! (I wished I had time to try ...)

• DollyGirl said:

So I thought I would help Victoria 2 come into the Studio 4 world and I created a iRay setting for one of her free texture sets. I have packaged it up and have uploaded it to Sharecg (https://www.sharecg.com/v/86560/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Creating-Victoria-2-iRay-Material-Files) if any of you are interested. It has a tutorial that will allow you to take any of the Vickie's texture sets and create an iRay material preset. You will have to download the texture zip from Arrow3D to use the preset. All of this information in included in the package. and now I give you, Victoria 2, as the Vargas Girl.

That is VERY nice! I don't usually go back as far as Victoria 2, but looking at this I may reconsider. The body has different proportions than the later Vicki models, and that sort of thing can be very useful in crowd scenes. And thanks SO MUCH for making the texture available to the rest of us.

• Very nice to see a thread dedicated to the old-timers. I have recently dusted off Michael 3 (so to speak) and brought him back into service. 

Superb stuff! Yeah, M3 has an "edge" other Michaels sorta don't.

Elleque's free Stuart character comes with very useful shoulder fix deformers:

http://elleque.net/?p=3291

In DS, all conforming clothing automagnetises to the figure's magnets, so this type of fixes is much more useful than just morphs.

Thanks! I'll take the time to read the shoulder tutorial in detail later, and if it looks worthwhile I download him. The face is definitely something I could work with, too.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited November 2016

Thank you everybody and your welcome. While I was putting the tutorial together I started the Ewelina texture set iray material preset. I tweeked it today and I think I will upload this preset to round out the tutorial. I did a lot of little changes, putting a tench of blue in the diffuse color channel. Corrected the cutout file reference on the eyelashes and adjusted the reflection values on the body and face. I adjusted the bump values for the body and face and the reflection values to the eye shaders. Here is a sample of the textures:

Ewelina-iray.png
    500 x 647 - 378K
    Post edited by DollyGirl on
  • I need to revisit some artwork I created waaaaay back in 2005. I'm currently dusting off Michael 3 and even the P4 "Dork" figure. I'm going to post some new images made with the old stuff very shortly.

• mindsong said:

@Mustakettu85 - quite beautiful - both the character and the render.

Thank you! Most of Thorne/Sarsa characters are extremely beautiful (although with very old textures like this, it's necessary to make bump maps).

I need to revisit some artwork I created waaaaay back in 2005. I'm currently dusting off Michael 3 and even the P4 "Dork" figure. I'm going to post some new images made with the old stuff very shortly.

Oh wow, even Dork =) Would be interesting to see!