ARGH!!! Norton Antivirus One is eatting my new Daz products!!!

DamselDamsel Posts: 374
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have an issue that's driving me nuts. Norton Antivirus One, otherwise known as Big Brother, considers many new Daz Studio products I buy from this store to be highly suspicious. As a result, it will EAT THEM. The way the stupid program had been functioning is there was a way for me to go after the file, and there was a heading called OPTIONS, and I could choose UNDELETE. Now that function seems to be gone. It just ate the new file called Skies of Reality. I gather this is because I am one of five people to install the thing. (??!!!) //sigh. Norton has been eating my files for three or four months now. Does anybody know how to get the files back?

Comments

• DavageDavage Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

I've been having the same problem, used up tons of my downloads to figure it out. But there is an option on the norton icon in the tray to turn on silent mode. It will then ask you for how long. This has been working for me for the most part, but for some reason it did not like Rawarts Man Wolf and the last freebie the living room collection. Even with norton off, they would just dissapear, I could not even find them within norton or the recycling bin. I ended up renaming them for the download and that worked for those two.
    Yeah, it's a nightmare dowloading stuff from here now. No way to sort PC or Mac and now theres all kinds of extra file formats that you can't sort either. I dread going to my downloads page when I'm done buying stuff here.

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited November 2012

I know for Microsoft Security Essentials you can choose default actions it takes on detected files.

Same for AVG, unless they changes it within the last 1 1\2 years when I stopped using it.

NORTON, Managing items in Quarantine:
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=v6200305_NAV_Retail_2012_en_us&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1&lg=en&ct=us

Post edited by jmper on
    edited December 1969

Also, most AV programs do not let the user turn them off now-a-days. I guess they wanted to simply their use.

Norton will still keep deleting your false positive Daz files in Silent Mode as well, when Norton detects them.
    http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Quiet-mode-and-silent-mode/td-p/650889

edited December 1969

And to remain topical.
    McAfee introduced a new feature besides quarantine. Avoid Authorities.
    http://news.terra.com/john-mcafee-from-tech-pioneer-to-murder-suspect,89988695b143b310VgnCLD2000000dc6eb0aRCRD.html

*joke* I know. :(

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited November 2012

Okay, McCaffee, Norton and all the rest are craaaaap!

Not kidding, Microsoft Security Essentials

FREEE... it's also the best.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

I got rid of Norton a year ago. Haven't had a problem since!

Post edited by wancow on
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Norton and McAfee seem to always cause headaches. We tried both of them and got rid of both of them in our place of business because of their difficulty without having an IT person (It's just me and another guy). If you are running in Windows 7 I have been told that the firewall and antivirus programs, Security Essentials, work perfectly well. Since 2 years ago I have been running Windows 7 at home and have yet to experience any problems with a virus on all three of my machines. But I am just a user and have no technical know how, it's just from experience.

edited December 1969

The one problem I do know is they can be a booger to get rid of, especially AVG. It can cause you headaches and I will never use AVG again.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

Used the free and then payware AVG for years without issue. I now use Avast thanks to an IT friend. I will never use Norton or McAfee again. had to wipe a HD just to uninstall McAfee years ago

edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    The one problem I do know is they can be a booger to get rid of, especially AVG. It can cause you headaches and I will never use AVG again.

After an update that wasn't suppose to go live cause my Win7 computer to die on boot. I wasn't happy.
    http://www.dailytech.com/AVG+Update+Cripples+Users+Windows+7+Vista+Computers/article20310.htm

I got rid of it and stopped using AVG as a suggestion for people who need a free virus protection.

Many years ago, AVG was pretty darn good and then became bloatware.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,711
    edited December 1969

Used the free and then payware AVG for years without issue. I now use Avast thanks to an IT friend. I will never use Norton or McAfee again. had to wipe a HD just to uninstall McAfee years ago

I use Avast too (AIS), after having tried many others. Think it's the first one I really like.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

The latest version of AVG antivirus detects some of my drivers as suspicious files and automatically quarantines them. One of them is the Realtek audio support program.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

me three, another happy Avast user.

edited December 1969

The latest version of AVG antivirus detects some of my drivers as suspicious files and automatically quarantines them. One of them is the Realtek audio support program.

Eww, that isn't good.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

Damsel said:
    I have an issue that's driving me nuts. Norton Antivirus One, otherwise known as Big Brother, considers many new Daz Studio products I buy from this store to be highly suspicious. As a result, it will EAT THEM. The way the stupid program had been functioning is there was a way for me to go after the file, and there was a heading called OPTIONS, and I could choose UNDELETE. Now that function seems to be gone. It just ate the new file called Skies of Reality. I gather this is because I am one of five people to install the thing. (??!!!) //sigh. Norton has been eating my files for three or four months now. Does anybody know how to get the files back?

You MAY find this link helpful:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/25/how-to-bypass-symantecs-ws-reputation-1-system/

The most common reason for Symantec to take the decision to delete your files after you have downloaded them is because not enough people have already downloaded the file!!! Yes, that's right ... it's unbelievable, but Symantec have decided that if a file hasn't been downloaded very often then it has a poor "reputation" and therefore must be deleted to "protect" you. This will happen irrespective of whether or not the file has a match in the database of virus signatures.

Sometimes I really wonder what thought processes are going on in these people's minds. ;)

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

Damsel said:

Yep, it's doing this to me too. So, you simply wait a minute, then open Norton Antivirus and click on Advanced, then in the next window you click on Quarantine. It will then give you a list with the removed files and the option to retrieve them. I would suggest after you've got the files back you right click on them -> Norton Internet Security Online -> Norton Insight and select trust. Otherwise it will remove the file again if you try to install it.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited November 2012

wancow said:
    Okay, McCaffee, Norton and all the rest are craaaaap!

Not kidding, Microsoft Security Essentials

FREEE... it's also the best.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

I got rid of Norton a year ago. Haven't had a problem since!

AGREE, 100%. I used Avast for years thinking it was the best until I discovered it didn't detect 4 viruses that have been illegally living on my HD for weeks. I tried MSE. Never looked back. Had those Guys arrested within the first scan. Also its smart enough to know that what you are installing isn't a virus.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Im another user who swears by Microsoft Security Essentials. I gave up on Norton and McAfee long ago, they really suck. MSE does a fantastic job.

However, MSE doesnt prevent everything so a little supplementation is needed. Every once in a while I run scans with Super Anti-Spyware and with Malwarebytes and they do find things MSE might have missed but they are rarely critical level threats. MSE all the way. And it's free no less, soooooo happy with MSE.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

And then ask yourselves... why do you continue to use a system that would even need such measures?

Kendall

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

And then ask yourselves... why do you continue to use a system that would even need such measures?

Because I like to do stuff (games, Carrara, DAZ Studio) that doesn't work well (if at all) under Wine. I have used computers some 15+ years mostly without any anti-malware software, and I haven't had a single instance of malware, unless you want to count SecuROM and the like.

As much as I don't want to defend Windows, sometimes the only alternative is giving up entirely.

edited November 2012

Kendall

Deleted by me.

Post edited by ledhead on
    edited November 2012

araneldon said:

Because I like to do stuff (games, Carrara, DAZ Studio) that doesn't work well (if at all) under Wine. I have used computers some 15+ years mostly without any anti-malware software, and I haven't had a single instance of malware, unless you want to count SecuROM and the like.

As much as I don't want to defend Windows, sometimes the only alternative is giving up entirely.

Use the right tool for the job. Windows works just fine for uses where security is not a concern. It doesn't work so well where security is necessary. So, use Windows where security is not necessary, and don't use Windows where it is. There are many ways to do the job, and relying on one tool is rarely the most efficient way.

Wine/Linux are not the right tools for many folks. Too many people want "bread in, toast out." There are other options.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited November 2012

For some people that makes sense, but for me it's simply not worth the inconvenience (dual booting, virtual machine) or cost (second workstation).

I might recommend the virtual machine approach to others though.

Post edited by araneldon on
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    For some people that makes sense, but for me it's simply not worth the inconvenience (dual booting, virtual machine) or cost (second workstation).

Dual booting isn't the only option. There are a plethora of "Live Disks" that allow one to boot from a USB or CD/DVD for specific purposes. ChromeOS/Chromium for instance. One can leave their Windows install on the HD and use the USB or Optical drive to boot into a more secure environment (one that can still use the Windows partition for downloads) and be better off -- for free.

In many cases, the live disks operate faster than the Windows install. In most cases, people would rather gripe, and spend money on useless "protection", than to take the little effort to use a better solution that doesn't have the base problems to start with. However, tablets are starting to show the sheeple that M$ is not "the way" and that other, sometimes better, options DO exist.

Kendall

• ElspathElspath Posts: 180
    edited December 1969

I am having the same issue with Norton 360 at the moment. I got Victoria 5 the other day with no issues, but now that I got M5 I'm getting security errors on every single one of his zips. And yes, it is basically because not enough of Systematic's users are cool like us. going to see what options I get. (sorry for the spacing, the final frontier button is wanting to go where it pleases)

edited December 1969

araneldon said:

Dual booting isn't the only option. There are a plethora of "Live Disks" that allow one to boot from a USB or CD/DVD for specific purposes. ChromeOS/Chromium for instance. One can leave their Windows install on the HD and use the USB or Optical drive to boot into a more secure environment (one that can still use the Windows partition for downloads) and be better off -- for free.

In many cases, the live disks operate faster than the Windows install. In most cases, people would rather gripe, and spend money on useless "protection", than to take the little effort to use a better solution that doesn't have the base problems to start with. However, tablets are starting to show the sheeple that M$ is not "the way" and that other, sometimes better, options DO exist.
    A live disk is practically the same as dual booting.

It's fine in some situations but too inconvenient in others as it doesn't allow use of both systems at the same time, so no browsing the web while rendering or playing a game, for example. A virtual machine is a much better solution for regular use.

edited November 2012

araneldon said:
    araneldon said:

A live disk is practically the same as dual booting.

It's fine in some situations but too inconvenient in others as it doesn't allow use of both systems at the same time, so no browsing the web while rendering or playing a game, for example. A virtual machine is a much better solution for regular use.

The major difference being that the live disk doesn't modify the base Windows install.

Agreed on the VM. However, many still don't have the resources to properly run a VM... and Windows makes a horrible host environment as far as performance goes. Windows 8 is killing the multi-tasking from within Windows anyway :-) so there's no big loss there.

As much as I hate to say it, for the majority of people here, MacOS is the best option. However, it's going to take Apple pulling their heads out of their collective A$$es to realize that locking Darwin to specific hardware is keeping them from really causing M$ some major indigestion.

For people in general, I expect that Android/Chrome will soon rule computing, with iOS following. If only DAZ would create an Android port of DS :-) ... most tablets have the 3D ability.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Which is more 'inconvenient'

...going through your downloads and downloading/resetting them until Symantec has hit that 'magic number'...or rebooting a couple of times?

...removing an AV that is more stubborn to remove than a lot of malware, then finding and installing one that doesn't use some asinine 'reputation'/profiling system or rebooting a couple of times?

...sitting around, whining, crying, complaining, blaming a company that can't do anything about what an AV is doing or rebooting a couple of times?

...letting some company control what, when and where you can download something or rebooting a couple of times?

One common definition of madness is doing the exact same thing, in the exact same manner over and over, expecting a different outcome.

There are alternatives, some easier to use than others, but when it comes down to getting the files or not, it's definitely time to start exploring them...unless one really does prefer waiting until Symantec decides it's perfectly fine to proceed...

edited December 1969

Right. Who blamed DAZ? Who suggested that Symantec's "solution" is anything but absurd?

And yes, rebooting between Windows and Linux is pretty friggin' inconvenient, unless you're the sort of weirdo who can cope more than 15 minutes without access to the internet ;)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    Right. Who blamed DAZ? Who suggested that Symantec's "solution" is anything but absurd?

And yes, rebooting between Windows and Linux is pretty friggin' inconvenient, unless you're the sort of weirdo who can cope more than 15 minutes without access to the internet ;)

Not specifically in this particular thread...but in one of the the myriad of other similar threads, it's come up a few times. My comments were of a general nature, not to a specific post in this thread.

And when was the last time you used Linux?

Most modern distros have a connection going before the boot process is finished and you log in (and the few that don't are more for tinkerers anyway)...if it's taking 15 minutes to reboot a computer, there's other problems that need attention, more than a few files not downloading.

edited December 1969

Missing the point completely. Linux can boot in one microsecond for all I care, I would still have to stop whatever I'm doing (playing a game, rendering, w/e) to boot into it to use the internet.

Capiche?