Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited November 2016

Does anyone have Jepe's body jewels?  I really love these especially for sci fi renders but am running into an issue.  Not sure if its because it uses a geo shell and i am using Iray (have no idea if you can do that lol) or if its something else. Or if  need to offsett the geo shell a bit more (its preset as part of the product)  If you look at the render (sorry its not even close to done and its been 18 hours,  background and other items will be added postwork as well) but you can see a strange shadow on her face and most of his body jewels are not shiny, like they are sunk into the skin maybe?  Anyway, his don't look anything like hers.

Brainstorming.jpg
    2040 x 2040 - 3M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,148

Well, I stumbled upon another G3F character with elf ears. That is P3D Brita for Tween Julie 7. I don't have Tween Julie 7, but Brita loads without even giving me an error. I suppose she doesn't look the same as if I had Tween Julie 7, but she still looks OK. Anyway, the point of this post is that the Brita elf ears look very nice. Even if I turn off limits and dial the ears up to 300%, they look nice. This is the same scene and lighting I used for the Arianna elf ear renders. So, I don't think the bad looking elf ears in Arianna for Karen 7 are due to a limitation in G3F.

If you need elf ears, try P3D Brita.

P3D Brita Ears.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 656K
    P3D Brita Ears limits off 300%.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 769K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Sorry, I don't have the Body Jewels. I see what you mean about the differences.

Barbult- good to know on the ears. They do look a lot smoother!  Are you liking Brita overall? I have her, I think she's adorable overall. 

edited November 2016
    Novica said:

Sorry, I don't have the Body Jewels. I see what you mean about the differences.

Barbult- good to know on the ears. They do look a lot smoother!  Are you liking Brita overall? I have her, I think she's adorable overall. 

OMG, she's great! P3D has moved to the top of my list for Iray skins. Since I don't have Tween Julie 7, I decided to mix in some Teen Josie 7 and a few other morph tweeks (boy these names are confusing!). I think she turned out fabulous. I didn't tweak the materials at all, because they are perfection as delivered. This just finished rendering - I mean literally, like 3 seconds ago.

The HDRI background is from http://www.aversis.be, licensed for non-commercial personal use only.

P3D Brita Mix Ears Hellenic_003 Close.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M
    P3D Brita Mix Ears Hellenic_002 PS.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on

LOL, I know what you mean about the names. Too many J's. The sheen on the skin is lovely! The mouth looks like it poses easily too, no strong puckering. The color of the outfit complements her skin nicely. Thanks for sharing! 

Novica said:

LOL, I know what you mean about the names. Too many J's. The sheen on the skin is lovely! The mouth looks like it poses easily too, no strong puckering. The color of the outfit complements her skin nicely. Thanks for sharing! 

Thanks for the nice comments. I used an expression from Superexpressions Mix and Match Expressions for Karen 7. The pose is from Daily Poses for the Genesis 3 Female(s).

She looks lovely!

I just noticed the background in your image. That looks exactly (and I do mean exactly) like part of my back yard. My bamboo is at least 25 feet to 35 feet tall.

Don't forget Fast Grab, Forgotten Chapel is in there.

Novica said:

I just noticed the background in your image. That looks exactly (and I do mean exactly) like part of my back yard. My bamboo is at least 25 feet to 35 feet tall.

The HDRI background is from http://www.aversis.be. I added the missing attribution in the post with the images.

Before you buy the garden tools (in the $4 section) be sure you don't already own the Potting Shed and Tools.   However, I think the Wheelbarrow is better so I am getting that. 

edited November 2016

Gotta get out the door to run errands, I don't have time to see which vendors are still featured stores so want to get these products shown as soon as possible.

Featuring Crescent Cove   

Dmitri for Gen3M         European Clothes for Gen3M          Thomas Hair    

FWSA Mina for Arabella 7  (got her for$3.10, still in featured stores)    Everyday Updo Hair          Open Pumps for Gen3F   

Hotel Staff Gen3F   

I'll be honest, that set took me awhile to light from where I wanted my characters, and I'm stubborn. The dome rotation is already set at 200, I changed the Y rotation to 103.35 to get more sunlight coming from the front/side (I'm just used to doing Y. I like 270 for most sets, it gives side lighting.)    Also, I went into the Surface tab and made the diffuse color gray for the white walls, otherwise you're dealing with quite a bit of washout (depending on your lighting.)  It needs more tweaking but moving on, said I was spending half an hour on a scene for you and it's been a couple! Doing a closeup of the two characters for you now, because that's what's not showing up well here. (Well, running errands for a couple hours first. Back in awhile.) 

Dmitri doesn't have a clean-shaven option, so if you don't like stubble, remember that. I like him!

For poses, I find myself using Muscleman's Ritratto Poses for V7 and tweaking from there. When you want good, basic standing or walking, take a peek at those. There are hand poses too, and you can easily move a finger or two and get more natural looking hands (to me, those are a bit too "elegant" and staged.)  For men, the Nice Guy Poses for Guy 7 are a great posing set. Again, there are hand poses.   

"THAT'S my view?"

@bitwelder  @darwinsmishap   @oskarsson   @3DCelebrity  @outoftouch         @tentman  (for both he pumps and staff uniform)

@muscleman   @designanvil

crescentcoveDmitriFWSAMina.jpg
    615 x 800 - 417K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2016

Dmitri for Gen3M         European Clothes for Gen3M          Thomas Hair    @darwinsmishap   @oskarsson   @3DCelebrity

FWSA Mina for Arabella 7  (got her for$3.10, still in featured stores)    Everyday Updo Hair          Open Pumps for Gen3F       Hotel Staff Gen3F   

So note the difference in skin tones, I didn't adjust anything in postwork so you would see the originals. Mina has more green, Dmitri is more ruddy. Out the door to run errands. (Sorry to rush!)

crescentcoveDmitriFWSAMina2.jpg
    615 x 800 - 419K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2016

Dmitri for Gen3M       Thomas Hair   

Okay ladies, here's your man! I got home and had time to do a better light setup. I left the skin tone as the default. THIS is Dmitri. 

Dmitri.jpg
    615 x 800 - 377K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2016

And here's a better one of Mina for Arabella 7. Not bad for $3.10  I did put a tinge of red in the lighting and in postwork, changed the tone slightly. So the default is actually a bit greener.

MinaFWSA.jpg
    615 x 800 - 246K
    Post edited by Novica on

Ice Dragon Art- did you ever find a solution to your problem with the Jepe's Body Jewels? Sorry I couldn't help, I don't have that.

edited November 2016

Okay, if you're wondering about the Xfrog stuff for Daz Studio, here's my Google findings- a post that tells you step by step what you need to do. (thanks to Sean.)  After reading all that, I'll stick with what I've already got.

Post edited by Novica on

No I haven't even had a chance to look at it any further. I have a render that I have been trying to get to render all the way through for three days now.  I keep getting a kernal exception failure on my Nvidia card.  I know its a Nvidia issue and not a Studio issue other than the fact that something in the scene is probably setting it off as it only happens once in a while.  Had it almost finished and managed to accidentally hit the power strip and shut the whole machine down lol.  Won't be home til close to 9 tonight but plan to revisit this weekend hopefully.

Has anyone done the older dragons?  I picked up a bunch of them during the sale and played around a bit last night on the laptop just to see how they looked and how they posed etc.  Not bad at all for as old as they are.  Only did them in 3Delight my poor laptop is starting to struggle with Iray.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

If it is the Xfrog packages in the sale then these aren't .obj files but Billboards which are flat planes with the images on them.

I did a render with the Millennium Dragon, way back on thread 1 or 2. I'll have to look and see if I can find it. I loved the materials on it, looked wet and glossy IIRC. I love the old dragons!

I did the fork horn and the hammer tail in one render, I will load it when I get home later tonight.  I was pretty impressed with the texture as well to be honest and dragons are one of my favorite beasts lol. 

Fishtales said:

If it is the Xfrog packages in the sale then these aren't .obj files but Billboards which are flat planes with the images on them.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear- those posts are regarding objects. When using billboards, do they actually load in the studio (say, Content Library) and you just load them into a scene, or do you have to keep them in files and get them from there? (And do they have to be put on a plane or are they just stand alones?) 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    Novica said:
    Fishtales said:

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear- those posts are regarding objects. When using billboards, do they actually load in the studio (say, Content Library) and you just load them into a scene, or do you have to keep them in files and get them from there? (And do they have to be put on a plane or are they just stand alones?) 

I can't help you there as I haven't used them in DAZ Studio, only the .obj ones in Bryce, but there are other sets that I use in the Cyclorama in DAZ Studio which are bilboards,

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Novica said:
    Fishtales said:

According to the readme's they come with DS presets, so they're already set up with a plane and transmap ready to load.

Thanks, both! I'll have to get them and play around.Right now posting in Zbrush thread here in Art Studio. If anyone can help out over there, someone has a question on bringing an OBJ into Daz and rigging it. I posted the doc center links, but don't know how helpful that is as I haven't looked at rigging yet. I'm still trying to create my OBJ  lol!  I just shared how to make an eye in Zbrush.

edited November 2016

Here's Toruun for Genesis 3 Male. Wearing Kameron Hair. If you want to match this hair with the default light colored brows, use Blonde then change the Diffuse to 180 / 148  / 133.   

Kameron Hair- it's strange that you have to undo Parameters to undo limits to get flatter hair, but you do- often. For the sides, back, and sides. So don't forget to do that or you'll have a fluffy 70's hairdo. This hair works well for teens/ making a character look younger.

Several things shown here- Toruun is shown with longer eyelashes, then with makeup. Here's my question- I'm not seeing materials to match the face when the skin color changes due to makeup. So look at the last two- the neck and body don't match the face. Am I missing something?

The first one is default, second is longer eyelashes, the rest are self-explanatory. One thing you'll like is the darkened eyebrows when the makeup changes to a dark theme. (number three for example)

toruun.jpg
    615 x 800 - 195K
    toruun2eyelashes.jpg
    615 x 800 - 194K
    toruun2Face3EbrwsDrkened.jpg
    615 x 800 - 191K
    toruun2Face4NoBodyMats.jpg
    615 x 800 - 203K
    Post edited by Novica on

Did you accidently apply a 3Delight makeup when the character was using Iray shaders? Check the Surfaces pane and look at the shader settings for Face and Torso and see if they are the same except for the maps that are used.

edited November 2016

I checked, there's only Iray options, and when I checked in Surfaces, the face and torso had the same settings. I didn't keep that light setup/duf, but rendered again with the default Iray, and I'm not sure if it's still two different colors or not, harder to tell. I have no explanation as to the steps I took, but the only options for this character ARE Iray, so that wasn't it. I didn't work with any other characters unless I clicked open someone else, but I wasn't switching back and forth between anyone deliberately.  But I'm thinking that was it, and It has to be user error. 

toruunTest.jpg
    650 x 900 - 221K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2016

Here are two of the older dragons the Fork Horn Dragon (top dragon) and the Hammer Tail Dragon. 3Deight.  I was a bit concerned as to how usable these would be but they look very good.  I just picked up the N.G. S. Anagenessis 2 Revolution for Iray skin and he says it will work on all the figures so I am going to see how they look in Iray as soon as I can get it loaded and I have time to read the directions

Fork Horned Dragon Hammer Tail Dragon.jpg
    2040 x 2040 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Good action poses! Let us know how you like Anagenessis. 

This discussion has been closed.