JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]

Comments

• AkhbourAkhbour Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Combining two different sets gives ...

Time travel

Only two lights in this scene, an UberSoftLight (slightly tweaked) and a "raytracing" Distantlight pretending to be the sun.

TimeTravel.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 148K
  • SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

:P haven't posted a picture here for a long time...

Used Curator Aquarum for this one:

2012-11-23_Discontinued_web.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 752K
    edited December 1969

Awesome Sedor, really!

Btw Jack, think about adding skydomes to your scenes, I can't always use Stonemaso,'s! ^_-

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited November 2012

Akhbour said:
    Awesome Sedor, really!

Btw Jack, think about adding skydomes to your scenes, I can't always use Stonemaso,'s! ^_-
    Ditto, great job Sedor! Akhbour, feel free to use my skyspheres, they're free.

This one uses Jack's Curator Aquarum. DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Looking for Water

LookingForWater-x2000c.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Someone missed a few polys?

broken.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 272K
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Baglet said:

where did the year go??

It was those rare days when it didn't rain.

Aint that the truth :)

edited November 2012

Totte said:

Hmm that's a weird one.. will check it and get that fixed up. Thanks for the heads up :)

Ok fixed, and sent in.. so the update should be out next week sometime :)

Post edited by Daz Jack Tomalin on
    edited December 1969

Akhbour said:
    Combining two different sets gives ...

Time travel

Only two lights in this scene, an UberSoftLight (slightly tweaked) and a "raytracing" Distantlight pretending to be the sun.

Nice work :)

edited December 1969

sedor said:

That's cool - reminds of that Fallout game :)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

Hmm that's a weird one.. will check it and get that fixed up. Thanks for the heads up :)

Ok fixed, and sent in.. so the update should be out next week sometime :)Poly Gon......I feel the dead parrot sketch coming

edited December 1969

lol - do it, doooooo itttt

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

Was rotating around looking for a good camera angle...

edited December 1969

Yea, it was an issue with the groups, rather than the actual geometry.. which is probably why it slipped though net.

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    lol - do it, doooooo itttt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

Hurrah! Nice one :)

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

sedor said:
    ..Used Curator Aquarum for this one:

Very nice picture :)

edited December 1969

Here is my first run with Cyber-Vicky:

Refuge

Refuge2.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 71K
  • M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited November 2012

Totte said:

Hey Jack, a quick (tech) question if you don't mind - for these sorts of issues (and constructing models in general), do you maintain your master scenes/models/assets in some form of configuration control system (eg RCS, CVS, SVN, Hg, or whatever), or is there no real need to maintain a "development trail" and you just use something like datestamped files/directories? (forking off copies when "drops" are made to external locations).

The reason I ask is I'm starting to get swamped in my own assets (diffuse, AO, baked textures, various iterations of hires and lores geometry, target platform files, drops to the customer, etc etc X), and I was curious what you do under these circumstances. Is there a "Make Order" button, just beside the "Make Art" button you have on your desk there? ;-)

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

Akhbour said:

Refuge

Great contrast and mood Peter...again simple but effective.
    edited December 1969

sedor said:

Awesome...seems too tame...but it is sedor. :)
    edited December 1969

Akhbour said:
    Awesome Sedor, really!

Ditto, great job Sedor! Akhbour, feel free to use my skyspheres, they're free.

This one uses Jack's Curator Aquarum. DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Looking for Water

Nice POV and light, a serene image.
    edited December 1969

Akhbour said:

Refuge

Unintentional I'm sure, but it looks like shes just banged her head on the wall, and giving it that 'ooooooooouch' face :)

edited December 1969

M F M said:
    Totte said:

Hey Jack, a quick (tech) question if you don't mind - for these sorts of issues (and constructing models in general), do you maintain your master scenes/models/assets in some form of configuration control system (eg RCS, CVS, SVN, Hg, or whatever), or is there no real need to maintain a "development trail" and you just use something like datestamped files/directories? (forking off copies when "drops" are made to external locations).

The reason I ask is I'm starting to get swamped in my own assets (diffuse, AO, baked textures, various iterations of hires and lores geometry, target platform files, drops to the customer, etc etc X), and I was curious what you do under these circumstances. Is there a "Make Order" button, just beside the "Make Art" button you have on your desk there? ;-)

That's actually a really good question - first time I think anyone's actually asked, too.

I personally don't use anything other than files/dirs. I have toyed with the idea of using SVN, but I think that only really would be worthwhile for huge projects.

I have the main dev folder, where I keep all the master files (PSD's, templates, etc) and then once the product is complete have an 'upload' folder which contains the DS/Poser stuff, promo artwork etc. I also use the same file suffixs, so it's easy for me to know whats what in the dev folder.

I do use a few homebrew scripts to pull stuff in and out of Runtimes, too.. but that's about it.

Hope that helps!

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited November 2012

How interesting - given the quantity of your output, I would have thought you'd had _some_ organisational "secret" in there to keep everything under control... thanks for the insight! (^_^)n.

(maybe my issue is that I'm approaching my graphic assets a little too much like source code - ie version#s, datestamps, historical copies etc... perhaps I should just chill and do Jack and let it all "flow" -_-... ;-). SVN et al would generally be appropriate for long-term multi-developer projects, I'd imagine - as a convenient way of sharing "asset trees" amongst geographically (and chronally) dispersed creators...).

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

Yea, I dare say you'd need it in bigger dev houses, but here there is only little old me.

My source files generally have iterations built into them (different layers and such..) but nothing fancy. While it's a nice idea, I think the time spent actually managing the files would be proportionally 'too much'. Keep it simple, and all that.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited November 2012

Szark said:

Looking for Water

Nice POV and light, a serene image.
    Thank you! And this got an Honorable Mention in the November 15th PlatClub Inspiration contest -- thanks again Jack!

Hey, if anybody wants to try out the lighting I used it's the light array shown in the Simple Sunshine and SkySphere tutorial, with all the fill lights on Intensity 32.0%, and the Sunlight on Shadow Type: Raytraced, Shadow Softness: 1.0%, Shadow Bias 0.50, and Intensity: 80% -- that's the example below on the left. (Actually I did two "final" renders, one with the vines and one without. Then I opened them in GIMP as two different layers with the vine-filled render on top, applied a white Layer Mask to the top layer, and blackened the mask where there were a couple of inconvenient vines behind her feet and over her head.)

On the right is the same render run through the postwork steps shown in the Bright Sunlight Mini-Tutorial, with the Saturation Overlay layer at 100% opacity, one Contrast Mask layer at 100% opacity, and one Contrast Mask layer at 32% opacity.

LookingForWater-2x1000.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 730K
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

Akhbour said:

Refuge

Unintentional I'm sure, but it looks like shes just banged her head on the wall, and giving it that 'ooooooooouch' face :)

Now that you say it, it could be that or one of those mornings after, where you only want to die and your wife is constantly repeating the things you've done while drunken! ^_^

edited December 1969

Akhbour said:
    Akhbour said:

Refuge

Now that you say it, it could be that or one of those mornings after, where you only want to die and your wife is constantly repeating the things you've done while drunken! ^_^

lol.. yea! so I imagine anyway, never been in that situation before *cough*

edited November 2012

Akhbour said:
    Akhbour said:

Refuge

Neither have I, though I have friends who have been telling me that kind of horror stories!

*cough, cough, cough, aheum*

Post edited by Akhbour on
    edited December 1969

Akhbour said:
    Akhbour said:
    Akhbour said:

Refuge

Neither have I, though I have friends who have been telling me that kind of horror stories!

*cough, cough, cough, aheum*

lol - theres a lot of coughing going on here.. think there must be something going around ;)

This discussion has been closed.