Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Until you posted this, I didn't even remember buying a camel!  But, apparently, I must have as it showed purchased when I clicked on it.

I love what you did with Haven!  She's such a cute little girl.  I love that little pointy chin!  :)

edit: fixed grammar.

LOL, join the club. I was thinking, "Now WHY did I buy a camel? Well, probably for the same reason as the armadillo." Yes, I have that too. Seriously, it's adorable! 

edited October 2016

CS Armadillo

I have too much time on my hands. Not really, but...

So let's have some fun. What have you bought that you asked yourself, "WHY did I buy that exactly?" 

Mine would be the Loveable Llamas. I just thought they were cute. Haven't a clue how I'll ever fit a llama into a storyline.

armadillo2.jpg
    508 x 578 - 397K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

You sure find some cute stuff! Thanks for taking the time to link them here. I've purchased a few things I never would have considered without you pointing them out.

barbult said:

You sure find some cute stuff! Thanks for taking the time to link them here. I've purchased a few things I never would have considered without you pointing them out.

It's my goal in life to drag everyone else into temptation. devil

Novica said:

barbult said:

It's my goal in life to drag everyone else into temptation. devil

Well, you've achieved that goal. wink

edited October 2016

In case you hadn't noticed, FWSA Piper has a variety of eyebrow colors. ($8.09 with banner and a debut/new)  And those of you who are PC+ and have the orange banner, it's MULTIPLE USE for today. You have about two hours left to shop. 

EDIT: Many of the FWSA are already 65%, they go down to $3.49)

Post edited by Novica on

Hmm, I remembered what I didn't like about Nurnies and Greebles. All pieces are one material zone. There are some neat pieces that  would be stunning with multiple shaders, but no matter how many surface areas there are (and some are nicely complicated) every piece I tested was one zone. I started to get the second set but I don't want to have to create zones (and haven't used the first set, so being prudent.) If you need odds and ends and don't mind them being one zone, these are really cute. (And the second set is in the featured store and not "new") 

edited October 2016

And for $4.84, this Polly Hair is perfect for Halloween/Costume Parties. (think outside the box.)  There's so many outfits this would go great with for a costume party! (note it has a long version.)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

Ok, at it again. GREAT FOR KIDS' TOYS.

Here's a Gumdrops cutie just in time for the upcoming holiday season. Meet Jingles! (she goes to $2.42 if orange banner plus debut/new)   And her playset.

I am shopping the cartoon page. (Go set it from low>high and see all the freeibes and cheapies. That link should already have it set that way for you.) 

Edit: and for harvest/fall, Patches and corn field.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:
    Novica said:

Don't check out if you have the orange banner. The discounts aren't applying right now. I'm getting the 10% off for having a new/debut item, but not the orange banner. It's working on the gift card only.

As far as I can tell the banner discount is applying, at least to some things, since I am seeing an extra discount on new releases which are excluded from the longer-running 10% - where is it missing for you?

Richard- sorry, not ignoring you. Right after i posted that, I got a call that Stetson may be coming down ill so I rushed out the door and just got back (7pm) (Stets is fine. He got overheated and they had already given him a bath when I got there. Great stomach sounds, breathing normal, eating normal, etc. Walked him in the arena about an hour ago and let him eat grass, he was eating the hay in his stall just fine.)   What you posted in Commons was my problem- the other 10% doesn't apply to new releases, so the 10% I was seeing was the orange banner discount. Thanks so much!

Well, I'm glad it was a false alarm.

I saw your post explaining what you had in your cart only after I replied here, thanks for confirming that was the issue.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited October 2016
    Novica said:

Hmm, I remembered what I didn't like about Nurnies and Greebles. All pieces are one material zone. There are some neat pieces that  would be stunning with multiple shaders, but no matter how many surface areas there are (and some are nicely complicated) every piece I tested was one zone. I started to get the second set but I don't want to have to create zones (and haven't used the first set, so being prudent.) If you need odds and ends and don't mind them being one zone, these are really cute. (And the second set is in the featured store and not "new") 

For the most part, I don't see them having a single mat zone each to be too much of a problem given that each is pretty much intended to be a "single solid piece of metal", not a complex mechanism. About the only ones I see maybe needing multiple zones are the two that look like scopes, WPN04 and WPN05, as well as the joystick, UNK54. I honestly don't see the others needing more than one zone.  

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    barbult said:
    Novica said:

She definitely doesn't look like the promo, agree.(I hadn't really looked at that because I was doing the Growing Up right away.) 

Yah, something is wrong. If you load G3F and then apply the Haven head shaping preset, the head looks pretty good. Then when you apply the Haven body preset, it drastically changes the head as well as changing the body. A body shaping preset should not change the head. I've submitted a help request.

Thanks for your testing on Haven. Was thinking of buying her, then saw this post. Will wait until this is fixed.

edited October 2016
    dawnblade said:
    barbult said:
    Novica said:

She definitely doesn't look like the promo, agree.(I hadn't really looked at that because I was doing the Growing Up right away.) 

Yah, something is wrong. If you load G3F and then apply the Haven head shaping preset, the head looks pretty good. Then when you apply the Haven body preset, it drastically changes the head as well as changing the body. A body shaping preset should not change the head. I've submitted a help request.

Thanks for your testing on Haven. Was thinking of buying her, then saw this post. Will wait until this is fixed.

I haven't heard anything from CS yet. If she is cheap enough, get her on sale and update when the fix comes through. If they don't fix it in 30 days, you can always return it. I'll go ahead and post the render of Haven without any Girl 7 dialed in. I used the V3Digitimes Iray skin converter on her skin, because I thought it looked better than the material settings in the Haven product. Your opinion might be different.

Haven No Girl 7_008.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

I didn't particularly like the skin, thought it a bit "chalky." Don't know how else to explain it. Yours looks better. 

I picked up some fun stuff to experiment with while it was dirt cheap. Palanquin and Wedding Gazebo among other things to try with shaders.

Novica said:

I didn't particularly like the skin, thought it a bit "chalky." Don't know how else to explain it. Yours looks better. 

I picked up some fun stuff to experiment with while it was dirt cheap. Palanquin and Wedding Gazebo among other things to try with shaders.

I see that "chalky" look frequently, even on Genesis 3 models that come with Iray materials. The V3Digitimes Iray Smart Converter is my antidote to that. I also use the version for Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 to convert non-Iray materials for Iray rendering. The one product that I bought recently that has fabulous skin without any tweaking is Gwenbleiz. He even comes with a few skin variations (scars or no scars) and a great beard. I'm now keeping my eye out for any new characters from Kayleyss.

edited October 2016

Novica made me buy it!

You were right that Sunny Dress is nice for children. This is the white version.

G3F Growing Up Sunny Dress Park Bench_002.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 724K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited October 2016

Oh, I'm so glad you did! I did get it but haven't rendered it yet. Yours looks so sweet! What made me think of kids was the cute collar combined with the ruffles. I'm setting up a render with Destiny Garden's Iray Tropical Fabric Shaders of another dress, and I bet the Sunny one would look really good with those too, with the collar and bottom patterned, and the dress solid, or that flipped.(@DestinysGarden)  

I'm trying to do renders today to help people with their buying choices, I'm on a different sleep schedule so just waking up (11am)  Let me just say to everyone (in case you're checking out soon) you'll really want to give Soraya for Rune a look (it IS Connect) because I put her on Victoria 7 and she is quite nice. I didn't buy Rune.   ( @3dSublimeProductions @FredWinklerArt  @Sabby  ) 

And SURPRISINGLY- Nox Hair  ( @AprilYSH )for (wait for it) a sophisticated up-do. Yeah, you read correctly, I'm putting it in bold and red because this is a "you-wouldn't-know-it." The included morphs allow that mohawk to be sized down and even rotated backward or forward, which then makes it quite elegant compared to the promos. I'm not saying you'll get a Baroness type hair (speaking in general, but I believe there is also a hair named that and it came to mind.)  So it may be about half an hour or more before I get these posed and done but want you to know about those.

And yes, as mentioned before- the Jackyline Outfit  @Zoe goes GREAT with the Supersuit top underneath. (and texture sets, already linked a few posts back.)  No poke through, just parent the supersuit to the woman and the outfit to the suit. (think layers, newbies. This lays on top of the bottom item so is parented to it. Then the top layer of clothing is laid on top of the middle item.)   

Let me say I don't buy jewelry. I just use what comes with the outfits and I have more than enough. But SO glad I bought @Fisty&Darc Jewels At Dawn  Every bangle is a separate material zone, and the materials and shaders are AWESOME. So many to choose from, there is an outstanding variety. Well worth the price! 

And heads up- @HowieFarks UltraScatter is in the sale. I didn't pick it up when offered and have been reading SO many good things about it. Definitely going to get it. I'm tired of doing repetitive plants and background elements. This is a practical product you'll use in many scenes. Instances help you render those more quickly, and this product isn't a plop and done- you can rotate and scale too. It's 10.78 with a new/debut in cart.

A cute little cheapie that I think will be adorable after shaders- Kemet and it has two wine holders- note the plugs! They're not vases. Use shaders on those too and you'll have a cute prop, all for $2.70!   Retro Dream car is also $2.70  (assuming New/Debut bought)

And using Jennifer Hair- really like it! Good for dressing up or casual. ( @Kool )

Let me go finish setting up the render.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

Just going to add in quickly- I would recommend the @Zedicuss store for poses that give you a good variety in each product. I was surprised (because I try to pick up those pose sets as often as possible) that I missed this pose set for kids / men. Just Boys Things- Poses For Teen Ryan   And the Just A Man Morph Dial Expressions are very unusual, not stiff. They look realistic, not the "perfect" expressions (I tend to use those type here simply because I'm showing the products, usually in a calm situation. If you want great action shots btw, go to SereneNight's sci-fi thread.)   Z Masculine Appeal are good for relaxed male poses.  This store also has wonderful hand poses, I have all of them I think. For MEN and women.

Gotta go get on that render.  Edit: This hoops pose product has some great swimming under water pose potential. Some wouldn't even have to be mildly tweaked.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

I'm thinking on this one. Badlands Roamer.  It's $4.74 and I like the boots A LOT, the belt, the gloves. And the top is okay if I put something under it, finagle a bit.  I'm thinking the top has several material zones based on the sides, and the sleeves has nice wrinkles. The boots may have different zones too. Anyone got it?

Also finally picking up Temple of Silence. It's just so classy! $7.90  @Renderwelten

Don't forget about the aging morphs by Zev0 if you don't have them, or Growing Up!   @Zev0

GDN Erika has great eyebrows   @Godin

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

I need to quit looking. But I remembered Bitwelder had two planets and HDRI's. Planet X-3  (can't get link to popup window to work, forum is lagging, so be SURE to hit your back button for all these in this post.)  and Planet X-2.  Love the double planets in the background! 

EDIT: This will go great with those Planets too!  Nature Canyon

And yes, patience pays off. I managed to get the Supersuit, the Guardian product for it, the Add-On so I could get Cetus X. Well, finally! Eva1 is in the overall sale, so just scooped up that Cetus X set  

Flipmode's Gym is not new (don't know when it went off) and have been watching that one periodically. (right now $10.79) and a lot included. There's also poses, head to Flipmode's store from the gym link.

JeanZ has looser fit jeans. Love 'em!

Old World Chamber starts at 65% off   $5.38

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

Here's a few more (and I added some to previous post, be sure to check those too.)  I'll ADD HERE as I go. Prices, when shown, assume you have a new/debut to help drop the price. (plus that 10%. Nice.)  BTW, just because I'm pointing this stuff out, doesn't mean I'm Jakiblue's "Mrs.Hilton" (I'm married)  LOL and buying all this now. Some of it I already have, some of it stays wishlisted. But if it's wishlisted, I've already checked it out for you/think you might be interested. I put it in the cart to test it so I can tell you the prices.

If you love George don't forget @Deepsea has the George Expandable. Different morphs, very versatile.  $9.00

Talim Heels are quite chic, not too high, nice materials. $5.37

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

Okay, FINALLY. When I do scenes to show products, it takes forever! Go back to this post for most of the information. The only products not linked were the Deco 12th Floor and I changed the floor to gray, some walls to gray, and seating to blue. The grays were to help with the brighter lighting, I used one Distant light from your right to throw more side lighting/rim, and use the Architectural Lighting Rig (I'd scoop up ALL of those while on sale, and to be honest, if I were a vendor I"d be using that and a couple distant lights, and those would be my promo lights for portraits! You'll see in a few minutes. I'm not saying mine are promo worthy with this minor tweaking, I'd want to finesse a bit more, but I like them. wink)  @Marshian   @Marshian2

And I love Soraya on Victoria 7. (In the dress.)

FWSA Imogen is on the left, wearing the Jackyline Outfit, and you can see a hit of the red Supersuit in the sleeve cutout. Will be doing from the front for you to see. Love that outfit!  @FredWInklerArt    @Sabby

Wouldn't know that is Nox Hair when you see if from the front, and the mohawk sized down! One nice thing is you can actually click on a braid in the viewport and just use bend to get it off the shoulder/chest. You don't have to go to Parameters and find the move morphs.

Note Soraya's multi-colored shoes, that is also DestinyGarden's tropical shaders!  I added a hint of the waist color into it, it already had two different shades of blue and green. I think there's about four colors in the shoes. NEAT! And aren't Imogen's shoes cool?

Edit: one other note- I changed the diffuse base color for the dress, to make it green instead of white. Remember that even with shaders, you can still change the colors of the base color and change the overall "tint." 

Deco12thFLoorJackylineOutfitSorayaImogenV7.jpg
    536 x 578 - 264K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

Architectural Lighting Rig on Soraya for Rune 7 (but as mentioned previously, on Victoria 7.) More coming. Also doing Imogen in this lighting.

BTW, she will have a gap between her teeth which you'll need to tweak, when on V7. 

Click to enlarge, this is 575 pixels, height it 800.

Soraya.jpg
    570 x 800 - 258K
    Soraya2.jpg
    570 x 800 - 313K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

Just in case you were curious about selling on Daz, or just want another source for learning rigging, Creating Content for Daz Studio is $10.77    Take a look at the promos.

Don't let the Aiko base fool you, put the materials on V7 or Gen3F.  this one has more natural eyebrows! Mira   @changelingchick  @DisparateDreamer

Courage Under Fire can be adapted for many scenes.

Edit: Also take a look at Lonely Tear, looks clear and realistic like saline.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

One last one coming of Soraya, switched to Prae's Vidra Hair. This one has the saturation increased during postwork so you can see her more tanned.

Next I am going back to Leila (upcoming from PA_ThePhilosopher) and putting her in a swimsuit based on comments in the commercial thread. Remember, she is not released yet, don't go looking for her.

I haven't forgotten about the Jackyline Outfit from the front on Imogen. I'm getting to it!

Soraya3VidraHair.jpg
    570 x 800 - 366K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

Wow, you've been a busy person this week! thanks for sharing how things look

edited October 2016

LOL, well, particularly today. Been on the computer doing this since 11am. It's 1:17am the next day. Tomorrow is going to be ZBrush, and time permitting rendering. Although since the Weekend Catchup ends tomorrow I may try to showcase throughout the day.

Post edited by Novica on

For Leila over in the Commercial thread (not available yet, they wanted the vendor to use one piece bathing suits as she's not an adult)  I used the One Piece Bathing Suit, and also the Vintage Bikini. as the question came up about family friendly swimsuits.

For these, I just used the default Iray setting, because I do recognize that not everyone has light products. So she is going to be a tad bit ruddy compared to say, Apocalyptic Lights or Architectural Rig lighting. (two of my favs.)  

I love this one. She's such a cutie!  This is the Vintage Bikini.

edited October 2016

Ah, Lilith 7 is here. Happy October 30th, well played DAZ! Halloween release.

I decided to spend my money on the PA sale while the deals were so outstanding, and as I bought the gift card with 19% off, the deals would have been stupid to pass up. So it didn't take long to deplete the gift card yesterday and that's that, I have enough to render for you explore, really good stuff. If you buy any new items, feel free to post them, particularly Lilith and her releases. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited October 2016
    Novica said:

Ah, Lilith 7 is here. Happy October 30th, well played DAZ! Halloween release.

I decided to spend my money on the PA sale while the deals were so outstanding, and as I bought the gift card with 19% off, the deals would have been stupid to pass up. So it didn't take long to deplete the gift card yesterday and that's that, I have enough to render for you explore, really good stuff. If you buy any new items, feel free to post them, particularly Lilith and her releases.

Erm - what are you seeing? Lilith was release October 6th, wasn't she (so not part of the PC Anniversary)? Or is this one of those little orange bar deals that I've not been given?

PS: I've been enjoying all your recent posts - what a wide range of products you've featured. Thanks!

Post edited by MelanieL on
This discussion has been closed.