GOING INSANE!!! Rigging help??

My work flow is:

Use Goz bridge to send my character (a morphed Genesis 3 Female)

Masking her

Sculpting a dress from the mask

Using Zbrush to create a shoddy UV map

Sending it to Daz

And now... I've tried tutorial after tutorial after tutorial. Even the purchased one from Lady Littlefox. But I can't do it. I cannot, for the life of me, find out how to rig this damn simple shoulderless little dress. I'm so frustrated at this block, after being so thrilled that I was able to model -anything-. I'm at my wit's end with this. Can anyone learn rigging? Does it take a certain set of expertise? Why can't I figure it out for the life of me!? Please help!! >_< 

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

The quick and easy way with clothes would be to use he transfer utility.

load your G3 figure

import your clothing object

select the clothing and go to edit -> object -> rigging -> convert prop to figure and choose triax (I think)

then go to edit -> figure -> transfer utility

In the transfer utility on the left upper drop down box for source, select the g3 figure

in the right dropdown choose your clothing item for target.

clith ok and when it's done, you'll have a rigged clothing item that will "fit to" your g3 figures.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

You probably want "General Weight Mapping" rather than Triax.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417

You probably want "General Weight Mapping" rather than Triax.

The Transfer Utility automatically uses the weight mapping method of the parent figure, so if they follow kotkbliss's advice, they're golden - though they may wish to tweak the weight maps if they get pokethu, or apply a smoothing modifier.

• First of all - you have to make clothes for the BASE Genesis 3 Female model. All morphs dialed to 0. Afterwards the figure itself will auto-generate the morphs on the figure. If you morph the figure, the Transfer Utility tool will add "another morph" on top of that, distorting your clothes.

Here's a step-by-step process for this:

1. Load the Genesis model and clothes made without the morph.
    2. Use Transfer Utility.
    3. As the Source, choose Genesis 3 Female. 
    4. As the Target choose your clothing item.
    5. As the Projection Template, choose what type of item the clothes are (or the closest to its type)
    6. Click Show Options>>
    7. If your clothes are skin-tight or made of soft-cloth, check the "Add Smoothing Modifier" box.
    8. Hit Accept.

Your clothes should now be working.

In case of the clothes you sent WITH the morph active, you can try this adjustment AFTER you have done the above process.

1. If the clothes are distored after Transfer Utility, select your clothes in the Scene Tab and go to  the Parameter tab.
    2. There should be a sectiuon called "Actor" there that was created for the clothes.
    3. Diall all of the morphs in there to 0. For example, if you morphed Genesis3 to Bethany 7, you will have to dial Bethany 7 down to 0 in the Clothes Parameter.
    4. Clothes should now look normal. 

There is a better way of doing this, including setting up a custom morph for the clothes to fit a character. But this should be a band-aid fix.  

• Ashfire45Ashfire45 Posts: 126

Ahhh! Thank you, guys!! My big flaw was sending a MORPHED character to create the clothes around, rather than the base figure! So, with that done, I've managed to successfully use the transfer utility. The clothes now follow my figure. However... 

What are the steps I follow now? I can't just use this on its own, right? While the clothes now follow the figure, surely I need to do things to - ummm, refine it? I wish I could give an example of what I meant!! Maybe skirts/dresses would be a good example, because they'd need some separate movement things, right..? 

• It depends what you wish to do with the item now.

You can extend its rig to add functionality to it. 
    You will probably need to fix the Weight maps so the skirt moves smoother. 
    You might need to add Joint Controlled Morphs (JCMs) to correct issues that are caused by movement.
    You might need to add Rigidity to certain parts to make sure they don't get distorted when you dial different shapes. 
    You also might create Morphs to alter the item further so it changes its appearance or can be customized for different needs.
    You can also create Textures for your item,
    Create Surface regions to apply different shaders to or turn Opacity off to modify the item. 

There's plenty of stuff you can do. 

It depends what you wish to do with the item now.

You can extend its rig to add functionality to it. 
    You will probably need to fix the Weight maps so the skirt moves smoother. 
    You might need to add Joint Controlled Morphs (JCMs) to correct issues that are caused by movement.
    You might need to add Rigidity to certain parts to make sure they don't get distorted when you dial different shapes. 
    You also might create Morphs to alter the item further so it changes its appearance or can be customized for different needs.
    You can also create Textures for your item,
    Create Surface regions to apply different shaders to or turn Opacity off to modify the item. 

There's plenty of stuff you can do. 

Thank you, Thomas...! Obviously, I don't know how to do any of these things, but I'm not going to ask you to explain them - that would take more time and you've already been helpful. Google's my friend, and I do feel better now that I've managed to make SOME very very minor progress in rigging. I'm sure I'll be back to step 1 if I want to rig original figures, but I might just purchase Blondie's tutorial for that. In fact, I think I will...

Alright, good stuff!! Thank you again! =D 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557

Ashfire, I'd like to say how impressed I am at how you jumped in from the other thread and have really embraced learning the creation process. I look forward to seeing your final works.

Ashfire, I'd like to say how impressed I am at how you jumped in from the other thread and have really embraced learning the creation process. I look forward to seeing your final works.

This certainly caught me by surprise. I'm very touched and feel very supported right now! I'm not sure why I'm suddenly so hellbent on doing this, but I really am. I mean, everywhere I look now, I think 'I could model that outfit one day', 'I could sculpt that face', 'I could take a texture from that'... And it thrills me beyond belief that when I learn all this, I'm going to have such creative freedom. I really wish I had started this years ago, because I'd be such a pro by now with all the time I've used Daz...

Erm, ramble aside, I truly appreciate it, FSMC. If it wasn't for the support I got in that thread and the encouragement, I would have abandoned the idea of creating my own content yet again. So, thank you once more, from the bottom of my heart for the time you've taken to help a random internet stranger! <3