Bump - load bump map valerie-eyes-b.jpg
    Reflection - None
    Transparency - None
    Refraction - None
    Glow = None

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited October 2016

Next I took care of the eyelash shading domain. 

Color     -  black
    Alpha    -  load texture map valerie-eyelashes.jpg
    Highlight - None
    Shininess - None
    Bump - None
    Reflection - None
    Transparency - None
    Refraction - None
    Glow = None

The teeth, gums, tongue, and inner mouth share a uvmap.

Color     -  Texture Map valerie-teeth.jpg
    Alpha    -  None
    Highlight - 4
    Shininess - value = 5
    Bump - texture map valerie-teeth.jpg  (top level bump intensity 15
    Reflection - None
    Transparency - None
    Refraction - None
    Glow = None
    Subsurface Scattering = None
    Translucency - None

edited October 2016

I left the lips for last in part because a decision has to be made n whether to apply lipstick, makeup, and what color to pick for the irises.  The Valerie character comes with two head (face) shininess maps and two head bump maps in which the primary difference seems to be the lips.  The character also comes with a base skin tne and 12 different maps for different makep styles.  There are 9 different maps for different iris colors.  So, for this I will apply lipstick and makeup and change the default eye color..  That will mean changing some maps that have already been loaded.  I decided on lighter colored eyes, a makeup with blue eeshadow, and reddish lipstick.

The eyes were easy, just a matter of loading another texture map in the color channel of the iris shading domain.  Note, that because we used a multiply, you can adjust the iris color from the map if you want by putting a color in te second multiply channel.  Similarly, changing the makeup was just a matter of going to the face shading domain and changing the texture map in the color channel from the base valerie-head.jpg to one of the makeup maps, which in this case I chose valerie-MU-03.jpg.

For the lips, I also chose the same makeup map, valerie-MU-03.jpb.  In the bump channel, I set a multiply and chose the second bump map, valerie-head-B-02.jpg.  For the highlight channel, I set a multiply and chose the second head S file, valerie-head-S-02.jpg. 

cc31 maps for valerie see two head face wth diff lips.JPG
    675 x 554 - 57K
    cc32 makeup maps.JPG
    763 x 563 - 56K
    cc33 eyes.JPG
    774 x 450 - 59K

Here is a test render.

test render valerie adj.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K

That test render is just a start.  You could go back and tweak the bump intensities, or the multipliers for the shininess maps, or add tiny cellular procedural shaders in the mixers to break up the skin, or adjust the undertone color of the subsurface scattering, or.... 

Whenever you are satisfied with your shader, save it to your shader browser.  Open the browser tray (bottom handle), navigate to the shader tab, pick a folder, and click and drag from the multicolored sphere at the top of the shader doman list to the browser folder.  Pick a name for future use.

cc34 save global shader.JPG
    1896 x 1004 - 246K
    edited October 2016

Now, I can start a fresh empty scene.

Load a new Valerie figure from the content browser.

Highlight the actor level.

Click and drag my saved shader from the shader browser to the multicolored globe at the top of the shader tab.

The optimized shaders for all of the shading domains are applied with one click.

Still with the actor level selected, I can go to the parameters tab, search for "valerie" and then zero out the morphs to return to thebase G2F shape.

I can then dial any shape morphs, such as Victoria 6, and adjust the G2F.

Here is G2F with the Valerie character skin maps and the Victoria 6 morphs.

test render val and v6.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K

I am renaming the thread from

First Steps - Setting up a sample scene in Carrara with plant, terrain, sky and hair

to

First steps - a place for Diomede to post screenshots on whatever

It may seem like I am repeating myself, but I do want to emphasize that people seeking photo-realism will want to adjust these shader settings and scene lighting significantly. To see what Carrara can do in the right hands, check out what Magaremento posts in the general render thread.  And, check out PhilW's tutorial that focuses on realism in Carrara.  

edited October 2016

Speaking of the right hands, here is Dartanbeck on shaders for Genesis and Genesis 2.  Great job, Dart!  One note on persnal preference, I think it is always good practice when saving a preset for future use to always set up a multiply by white or a mixer with the blender turned black for any channel that uses a texture map, even if the texture map is currently going to be used unaltered. The reason is for ease of adjustment when it is loaded in the future.  Again, just personal preference.

Here is Dart with much wisdon, especially using a glass crystal shader preset for the cornea!  Should have thoughtof that.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    diomede said:

Here is Dart with much wisdon, especially using a glass crystal shader preset for the cornea!  Should have thoughtof that.

I actually haven't tried the Crystal Glass shader. I use "Clear" ;)

Thanks for the kind words, my friend!

edited October 2016

And now for something completely different.  Here is my attempt to do post work.  Beware, I don't know what I am doing.  I put together a render for the feebie challenge.  You have to use a least 10 freebies from around the web and you can only use a maximum of 3 purchased items.  Here is my base render.

Witch Brood V4 K4 K4.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 192K

I also used the multipass render option.  It is in the render room under the output tab.

hh01 multipass render option.JPG
    291 x 958 - 55K

So, in addition to the actual render, Carrara spit out some additional passes based on the options I chose.

Witch Brood V4 K4 K4_Depth.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 53K
    Witch Brood V4 K4 K4_Diffuse.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 253K
    Witch Brood V4 K4 K4_ObjectIndex.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 49K
    Witch Brood V4 K4 K4_Position.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 43K
    Witch Brood V4 K4 K4_Shadow.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 211K
    Witch Brood V4 K4 K4_VolumePrimitives0.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 51K
    Witch Brood V4 K4 K4_VolumePrimitives1.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 44K
    edited October 2016

So I used the multipasses to help me select image elements in Photoshop and try to add some motion blur to the flying children and hawk.  I also blurred the background a little.  I really don't know what I am doing, so I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how to make the most of the information that comes from the render passes.

Witch Brood V4 K4 K4 entry.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 529K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Very cool, Sir!

edited October 2016

Here is a little bit of silliness - Vicky in a Temple with a Sword - and Jack Pumpkin is scared as hell.  LOL

vicky in a temple with a sword.jpg
    800 x 600 - 40K
    edited October 2016

Vicky is wearing a combination of the VAL Helen and the Tanya outfits, both for V4 and converted for use with G2F using the Studio transfer utility.  The G2F is 1/3 V4, 1/3 V5 and 1/3 V6.  The set is DM's circle of light, which is washing out the scene as if I had ambient too high.  Suggestions for the lighting most welcome. Vicky's hair is Carrara dynamic and I think it is worth posting the workflow. 

So, I made a custom hair cap for G2F using the vertex modeler.  I have it saved to my browser for generic use.  I loaded it in my scene parented to the G2F head.  Note that the G2F is the Alani character for which I had saved a Carrara-optimized shader.

tt13 load custom hair cap to head.JPG
    1912 x 939 - 206K

Dragging a hair icon from the top menu to the hair cap in the lower right will open the hair modeling room.  For my custom hair cap, I prefer that the hair placement be geometry based (you will see why in a second) and that the hair density be guide based.  Not sure that is best. Invite suggestions.

tt15 hair modeling room opens i like geometry based and guide based.JPG
    1816 x 839 - 114K
    edited October 2016

The hair modelng room opens and you can see my cutom hair cap mesh.  I have the hair cap divided into regions that have separate material zones. The reason is that you can select by material zone, which is very handy. Notice that the mesh allows for a part down the middle, or parts on either side, or isolating the bangs.

tt16 notice some hair room tools and selections and my hair cap.JPG
    1904 x 814 - 142K

Hold the control key and drag to change the size of the selection tool if you want to select by hand.  I selected the middle part and then used inverse to select everything else.  I selected so that the part was only 1 row of polygons wide.  The portions that are selected have turned green.

tt17 hair selection area turn green hold control to adjust tool size.JPG
    1890 x 874 - 155K

Next, I want to add guide hairs close to the part on both the left and the right.  I used the top menu to choose the add guide hair tool.  The default hairs appear before I can do anything else.

tt18 pressed guide hair button and hairs popped up everywhere.JPG
    1829 x 921 - 194K
    edited October 2016

Before continuing, I want to get rid of the generated hairs and leave only the guide hairs.  To do that, I go to the "general" tab on the right.  I uncheck "show in 3D view."  While there, I also prefer to reduce the hair size from large to medium.  The brown hairs disappear, leaving just the blue guide hairs.  I also increase the segment count for the hairs and the guide hairs.  More segments allow for additional points along the hair for the strand to bend.  If there are only the four default segments, then the hair can only bend in 4 places, which will look absurd.

tt19 general tab medium thick uncheckshow 3d increase segmens per hair.JPG
    1471 x 942 - 175K

Using the "add guide hairs tool" from the top menu, I then zoom closer to the hair cap and add guide hairs close to either side of the middle part.

tt20 add guide hairs along part.JPG
    1602 x 916 - 188K

Once I think I have enough guide hairs, I click the "brush" tool from the top menu.

Going to the "tool" tab from the right side menu, there is a place to adjust the "point" along the hair that the brush tool will affect.  Select where you want to brush the hair then use the brush tool to click and drag the available points to brush the guide hairs.  Brush, adjust point selection, brush again, and continue until you get a general style that you like.  I like to start by selecting point close to the head and brushing the hair away from the middle part (or wherever I want to part the hair).  That is probably inefficient so I invite hair experts to chime in.

tt21 click brush tool use tool tab and select point for along guide hair.JPG
    1717 x 917 - 235K
    tt22 use brush tool around the part.JPG
    1616 x 902 - 259K
    tt23 hair brushed away from part and back from face.JPG
    1573 x 945 - 156K
    edited October 2016

Even though this doesn't look promising right now, I want to see my progress thus far.  I go to the "general" tab on the right, and check "show in 3d view" again.  The brown hairs appear.  Now, the default is only 5,000 hairs so I am not expecting it to look too good.  Just want to see.  I return to the asemble room and take a look.  Um, it is a start. surprise​   Some more work to do.

tt24 check show in 3d view.JPG
    1384 x 940 - 156K
    tt25 uncheck visibility of hair cap and see draft hair.JPG
    1419 x 965 - 176K
    edited October 2016

So, I return to the hair room, uncheck "show in 3D view" and continue using the brush tool to get a general shape.  One very important thing to do is to enable interpolated grouping of the hairs.  You do that in the general tab near the bottom of the menu.  The box is unchecked by default.  It really should be checked by default.  Another very important tool is the "push" tool.  On the top menu, the "push" tool allows you to have Carrara push all of the hairs outside the hair cap, or whatever surface you are growing hairs on.

Eventually, I was able to use the brush to make a better hair style.  Still not what I will want as a final, but much better than many prop hairs.

tt27 enable view incease hair count enable auto group under interpolation.JPG
    1506 x 996 - 198K
    tt28 return to assemble room.JPG
    1447 x 1010 - 161K
    tt29 test render hair better.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K

At this point, I usually save the base hair to my browser so I can use it as a start for some future G2F project.

Next, I wanted to change the color of the hair. 

NOTICE - I have unchecked the visibility for the hair cap itself!

I select the hair and go to the texture room to take a look at the shader tree.  There are slots for the hair root and tip.  In this case, I want hair with a red tinge. I happen to have a hair merchant resource that has hair tiles for different colors.  I loaded a red hair tile in the color channel for the root and the tip. 

tt31 hair texture map in root and tip.JPG
    1058 x 937 - 127K
    edited October 2016

After a few other edits, here is a test render of the G2F face and hair.

tt34 test render red hair and green eyes.jpg
    640 x 480 - 26K