Questions on posting images

UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
edited October 2016 in Carrara Discussion

OK, I figured out how to attach a file, and when clicked, the pic looks very good.

But a lot of you guys post a much larger pic in the post itself - sometime the text even justifies around the pic - but when I try it, it loses a ton of resolution.  Makes no difference, JPEGS or PNGs.

I did some searches, and found instructions which were confusing to say the least.

I hate cluttering the forum with questions like this, but it's either ask, or clutter up other threads with endless tests until I figure it out.  angry

And BTW - is there any way to completely delete a post?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,193
    edited October 2016

And BTW - is there any way to completely delete a post?

Nope. So when I wish I could, I put a picture there instead! ;)

Okay, when we "attach" a file, that just leaves us with a small thumbnail we can click on to see the full res image. The Image tool inside the posting browser only accepts image addresses.

So some folks like to find a place to 'park' their images, so they can 'attach' them to that, then copy the address, and paste into the image tool.

For wrapping text, use the positioning selection at the bottom of the image tool window.

When using wrap like this, it's also good to put in some value for the HSpace, so the text doesn't become hard to read being too close to the image ;)

Tip: Once an image is attached via "Attach a File", we must actually post the message before we can get the address.

Instead of clicking on it to open it, then right-click... we can instead get the full-res image address by right-clicking the thumbnail and choosing "Copy Link Address" instead of Copy Image Address! ;)

Good luck, my friend!

ForumImageTextWrap.jpg
    443 x 489 - 173K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2016

There is no way to completely delete a post, but you can clear out all the text in it and just add a comment like "deleted by poster" or "sorry - double post."

Incuding images in the post seems to work best (for me at least) is I do it from an image attached to that same post.

1. When creating or editing a post, attach your image.
    2. Post the Comment.
    3. Right click on your attached image thumbnail and open it in a separate tab.
    4. Copy the URL from that tab
    5. Go back to your post and edit it
    6. Click on the image button on the top row of the editor menu
    7. In the Image Properties on tab 1 paste your URL and set the width to 800 (this is kind of an informal forum rule - you don't have to but if you don't a mod will come along and hit you gently with her club) - you can also set the alignment relative to any test here
    8. On tab 2 of the image properties paste thr URL again and set it to open in a new window 

AttachImageI.JPG
    1190 x 421 - 50K
    ImagePropertiesImageInfoTab.JPG
    413 x 435 - 53K
    ImagePropertiesImageLinkTab.JPG
    402 x 430 - 23K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited October 2016

Oops... I posted something here that I changed my mind about... here... have this instead!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2016

I believe that before I posted here, I followed your exact same instructions, but it didn't work.

Bear with me while I try it again, and hopefully let you see my problem.

Edit - OK, I didn't do anything different, but the pic is now clear.  No idea why this didn't work before.

Now, can you please tell me how to place the text at the top of the post, and not down here?

Edit - moving the pic is as screwy as hell.  But it eventually worked.

Test post.png
    1120 x 792 - 138K
    edited October 2016

Now, make sure you copy the actual image address. If you right-click on the thumbnail and copy image address, you're only copying the address of the thumbnail.

That's why I prefer to right-click the thumbnail and choose: "Copy LINK Address"

ForumCopyLink.jpg
    425 x 451 - 108K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

I don't see any difference between the thumbnail and the image in the post.  If I open them each in a separate tab and flip back and forth they look identical.

edited October 2016

Now, make sure you copy the actual image address. If you right-click on the thumbnail and copy image address, you're only copying the address of the thumbnail.

blush blush blush   Darn, that was it. 

That's why I prefer to right-click the thumbnail and choose: "Copy LINK Address"

In my last attempt - the one that worked - I just opened the attachment, and clicked the top window browser link, but I will try your method next time.

Can I delete this thread and post a pic instead? smiley

Now, can you please tell me how to place the text at the top of the post, and not down here?

In the post edit, click and hold the image, and move it.

It only works along the begining of any line of text, so it's a bit fiddly. When you're hovering over a valid drop point, you'll see a little change in the icon of the mouse pointer.

Note that this can be strange if the image is set to be placed on the right, and set to be small. You grab the image on the right, but you have to move it along the left! LOL

But then when we drop it, it's on the right still.

For something as easy as your example though, it's just easier to go to the bottom of your text, even hit enter to go below it, then activate the image tool.

So When I want my text to wrap the image, I go to the Top of where I want that wrapping to begin - where I want the image placed, at the beginning of that line of text. Then I activate the image tool.

edited October 2016

FInal attempt, using "copy link location," and hitting enter at bottom of text prior to adding the pic.

Compared to this, the shader room is easy.smiley

Thanks Dart, and MDO!

Oops... I posted something here that I changed my mind about... here... have this instead!

I forgot to ask - you apparently posted this from your gallery.  How do you get the pic to expand when clicked?  Or, is this an automatic feature when you use gallery links?

In MDO's tutorial above, he shows the Link tab in the Image tool.

When I paste the image address, I next go to the dimensions and scale it down to something under 900 px wide - often much less. Then I set up the rest of that main page and then jump to the Link tab and paste again ;)

For most of my tutorial-type images, I'll just attach those right to the message. Other times I'll actually use my Google+ account, upload there and grab the address, other times I'll use my Gallery, if it's a nice render. There are other ways to get an image fairly permanently attached to the www to grab an address from.

So now, just to experiment, try editing your above post to wrap your text around the image, like this.

If you like, you could simply start a new post instead.

Basically, I'm just writing to fill the side of the image now ;)

Note, however, that if I'd have forgotten to add a number in the HSpace field, my text would be so close to the side of the image, it would be hard to read - especially with its black background.

So I used "10" in this example. But when I put the image on the right, I might just use something like 4 or 6, since it's only dealing with the longest lines of text - and the very ending of those.

edited October 2016

So now, just to experiment, try editing your above post to wrap your text around the image, like this.

If you like, you could simply start a new post instead.

Basically, I'm just writing to fill the side of the image now ;)

Note, however, that if I'd have forgotten to add a number in the HSpace field, my text would be so close to the side of the image, it would be hard to read - especially with its black background.

So I used "10" in this example. But when I put the image on the right, I might just use something like 4 or 6, since it's only dealing with the longest lines of text - and the very ending of those.

Also note that, in the above post, I didn't put the image address in the link, so we don't get a link when we click on it. I've changed that in the quote, and notice that I can edit the size and position in the quote, even if it's somebody else's post! I do that often if I don't want my Quote to fill the page with redundant repeats of the same image (making the image much smaller, like 140 wide or something similar).

Other times I might even backspace the image in a quote to avoid such repetition, and yet other times, I might copy the link address of the image and include something like:

Link to original post image in the quote message. I almost always do this sort of thing with YouTube embeds, so we don't waste a bunch of space. Yet other times, I'll use the Quote function to bring an image or YouTube embed to the next page, or a different page entirely.

edited October 2016

This is a great thread, because there are plenty of other people wondering this same thing. I've asked the same stuff, and our super-wonderful moderator girl, chohole, helped me out! ;)

So I'll link this thread to my Learning thread and in ForumHelp links, but I'll change the name to something with a better description. 

BTW, authors of a thread may change the name of their own thread by editing the first post! ;)

Here's what I've added to those threads:

Need help figuring out how to work with images in your forum posts?

Check this thread - ask in that thread for further assistance! ;)

edited October 2016
    MDO2010 said:

8.  On tab 2 of the image properties paste thr URL again and set it to open in a new window 

OK, I had initially skipped your last step, as I didn't understand it.  Trying again.

edited October 2016

So, giving it another try.  In progress..

Yay, it worked!  Thanks, MDO, and Dart.  Sorry I was so dense.

Test post.png
    1120 x 792 - 138K
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited October 2016

I've tried this time and again and always ended up deleting the image in the post, leaving the thumbnail intact, as it alway sended up looking rubbish.  The simple thing I seem to have missed is the copying of the URL ... I'll have to see if I can now get it to work ...

Wasteland.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 931K
    Post edited by SimonJM on

Awesome!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Congratulations!  Can't wait to see more images.  Let there be renders. yes

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794

Just to add... you can also use % in the image size, that's what I usually do... set it to 80% in both width and height on your renders that are around 1000 to 1200 pixels in size.

just to be different devil

Stezza said:

Just to add... you can also use % in the image size, that's what I usually do... set it to 80% in both width and height on your renders that are around 1000 to 1200 pixels in size.

just to be different devil

What do you mean... just type in a percent? xx%? 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794
    edited October 2016

percents.jpg
    899 x 632 - 65K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Kewl, Thanks Stezza!!!