Directional Force tutorial

Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Anyone know here I can find a tutorial to add directional force to my renders?

Thx

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Akulla3D :)

Depending on what you want to do,. it's as easy as adding the force and adjusting the strength as required to create the effect you need.

For example:
    Create a Particle emitter, add a direction Force, and enable (use forces of the scene) in the particle emitter (advanced tab) settings.

In this mode, the particles will also be effected by the scene Gravity,. so you'll either need to adjust the particle emitter velocity to compensate for that,.. or, switch off the default scene gravity in the Physics panel. and replace it with a more controllable Directional Force, which you can adjust the strength of to suit the effect you want, and you can also key-frame the strength over time.

If you use Physics objects in the scene, you'll need to Run the Physics simulation Before you'll see any effect from Forces.

The Flow force will create turbulent wind like effects, for things like leaves blowing around.
    the strength values of this can also be key-framed and you can use a Noise tweener, or Oscillate tweener to add more randomisation to it.

The Torque force will create a Rotational Spin force, and can work well with Physics objects, like a spinning top (toy)

Physics objects also react to collisions or Forces generated by animated objects, such as a figure kicking a physics ball.

The Point Force can be used to either Attract or Repel physics objects and particles.

It really depends on what you want to create , and then experimenting with the strength values of the forces.

Hope it helps :)

• Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Thanks RAGE for the response. The basic thing I am doing is I have a Sphere (ball) and just want it to drop to the floor. How would I do that? Please, thank you.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI akulla3D :)

Dropping a ball, shouldn't require anything other than changing the Motion type of the Ball, to Physics instead of Keyframe.
    then running a physics simulation.

The default Scene Gravity, will make the ball drop to the floor ( if you have a plane, or some other objects as the floor)

It may also depend on what version of Carrara you're running,. C8 (with Bullet physic s engine),..
    or C6 / C7 (Carrara standard physics engine).

Example:
    Create a new scene,. Insert a Plane,. and Insert a Sphere.
    Select the Spere and go to the Motion tab on the top right, and click where it says "keyframe",. this will bring up a drop down menu, where you can select "physics" as the motion type.

At the start of your animation,. Select the Sphere, and raise it up in the air.

click on the Simulate physics tool on the top left.. and you should see the Sphere dropping, and bouncing slightly on the plane.

example scene :
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7907045/ball_drop.car

:)

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited December 1969

akulla3D,

You might want to select the sphere in the instances tab and then go to the Effects tab to change the material properties of the sphere. This will effect how high the sphere bounces and how many times it will bounce before coming to rest. It helps make things look more realistic.

Screen_Shot_2012-06-06_at_12.58_.25_PM_.png
    254 x 693 - 33K
  • Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Thanks to both of you. that is exactly what I wanted.

• paulg625paulg625 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

I want to thank you guys as well. I haven't had time yet to mess with the physics for Carrara yet! this will make it a bit easier to get my feet wet.