WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, November, 2012

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited November 2012

HI Bluemoon :)

that's looking nice.

If you're using Carrara 8, there should be some example shaders included in the "Native content" installer, which are good examples of shader settings.
    You can start with one of those and adjust it to whatever you need, and then save it back into your own shader library.

For the Metal shaders, there's a special "lighting model" in the Top level of the shader,. called "Anisotropic" which is for metals, and gives it that streaked highlight. (see pic)

For Chrome,. set the diffuse colour to black, or none,.. and set the reflection to a "value (0-100)" and set that to 100.

For reflections,. you can use a Map (any image), or an HDRI (High Dynamic Range Image) in the " Scene / Background " to provide either just a reflection, or scene lighting and reflections.
    In the Renderer options, if you enable Skylight, then the HDRI can be used to illuminate your scene, and provide a source for reflections on objects.

If you don't want the BackGround to show in your final render, and you only want the reflections,. you can use an image in the Scene / BackDrop, which will fit into the camera view, and render out in your image, but won't provide any reflections or shadows.
    or you can render to an image format which supports Alpha channel, like PSD or PNG.

If you need more info, advice or answers, jump into the carrara forum,
    ....I don't want to clutter this thread with examples of shader settings :)

chrome_metal.jpg
    514 x 382 - 48K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited November 2012

bluemoon said:
    Having a bit of trouble getting the metal and glass looking how I want but overall happy with the progress.

Nice job blue. The background is beautiful.

Changes made( don't know if they are visible ) Played with the lights and the surface tab mostly reflection and ambient for starters.

New version below the previous.

pozadina_nova.png
    800 x 450 - 433K
    valjda_valja.png
    800 x 450 - 435K
    Post edited by Ilena on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    bluemoon said:
    Having a bit of trouble getting the metal and glass looking how I want but overall happy with the progress.

Changes made( don't know if they are visible ) Played with the lights and the surface tab mostly reflection and ambient for starters.

That is much better. I like the horse being added. Kind of sets the tone of a more rural nature.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Ilena52, i think you still need a tad more light on the dancer, looking good though

• edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    bluemoon said:

Thanks Ilena, I am having troubles with my character now and will take 3DAGEs advice and ask about them in the Carrara Forum.

Doc1.png
    495 x 496 - 311K
  • GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

Taking a break in the park to enjoy the changing colors of autumn leaves. Thinking about the days when Santas weren’t in the stores before Halloween day. Back when the whole month of November meant Thanksgiving. The days when we made pictures of turkeys by tracing our hands.

This is the idea I’m working on. The woman on the park bench is reminiscing about the happiest memories related to Thanksgiving. The girl drawing behind the coffee table is what’s on her mind, her childhood. The picture in her mind will be lightened to become a faint image in post work. It’ll also be enlarged so you will be able to see her as a child drawing turkeys.

z04.jpg
    767 x 620 - 455K
  • edited December 1969

Have made lots of changes and with the help of 3DAGE have learned a lot about Carrara. Still lots of things to fix, hope I finish it in time.

Would love to hear your thoughts on my progress and and things you feel need a bit of a fix.

Doc1.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 320K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I am totally impressed.

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I am totally impressed.

Thank you chohole
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Love the old dirty look...so much more real than a shiney new car.

My only suggestion is to do with the composition. Moving the camera toward the right more so that the wheel is not cut short will put the main subject in the right place but I am being picky. :)

Doc1.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 319K
  • edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Love the old dirty look...so much more real than a shiney new car.

My only suggestion is to do with the composition. Moving the camera toward the right more so that the wheel is not cut short will put the main subject in the right place but I am being picky. :)

No, you're not being picky. I forget exactly why I put the camera there for this render, think it was to hide something that needs fixing.:red:

Will have another look tomorrow, need some sleep now and thanks for the feedback.

• WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

llena52 - Progressing nicely.

Bluemoon - Love the camera angle and background.

Mr Leong - Your render of a kid drawing reminded me that kids usually draw people either in a full front view or in a full side view. But seeing both the front and side view at the same time adds dimension. This is accomplished when people are viewed diagonally.

If you’re trying to accomplish what I think you are based on your description, then a good way to show people thinking and what they are thinking about is with a low camera pointing upward (worm view) at the face.

Focusing on the face will also be consistent with what LycanthropeX wrote in post #29 about the tendency of incorrectly doing very wide shots for images.

4_Faces.JPG
    717 x 299 - 81K
  • edited December 1969

I think this might be finished and I am really happy how it has turned out. Thanks to everyone for the advice and a big thanks to 3DAGE 'cause halfway through I was ready to hide it at the bottom of my too hard basket.

I did some postwork in Photoshop so here are the before and after versions.

AutumnScene2.jpg
    800 x 520 - 257K
    AutumnScene1.jpg
    800 x 520 - 272K
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Stunning!

edited December 1969

bluemoon amazing.... Yes you did all the work but you listened to the advice given by 3Dage etc and you used that info extrememly well, you should be very proud of this image...I would be if it was mine. I really like the postworked version better.

edited November 2012

Ilena52 said:

New version below the previous.

Much better IMHO.

Look out for next months comp on some composition tips. I am slaving away getting things ready now. :)

Putting the main subject matter dead centre can work if you have a portrait aspect ratio but for wide-screen I would be using the rule of thirds meaning moving the dancer over to the right or left third of the image. For this image I would personally chose placing her in the right side third (our right). If that doesn't make sense then Google Rule of Thirds and all will become clearer.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Mr Leong said:

This is the idea I’m working on. The woman on the park bench is reminiscing about the happiest memories related to Thanksgiving.

Good start keep at it and post an update so we can where you are headed. Hopefully LycanthropeX will give some tips on postwork for this image.
    edited December 1969

Denny L said:
    llena52 - Progressing nicely.

Bluemoon - Love the camera angle and background.

Mr Leong - Your render of a kid drawing reminded me that kids usually draw people either in a full front view or in a full side view. But seeing both the front and side view at the same time adds dimension. This is accomplished when people are viewed diagonally.

If you’re trying to accomplish what I think you are based on your description, then a good way to show people thinking and what they are thinking about is with a low camera pointing upward (worm view) at the face.

Focusing on the face will also be consistent with what LycanthropeX wrote in post #29 about the tendency of incorrectly doing very wide shots for images.

Nice info Denny
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited November 2012

bluemoon said:
    I think this might be finished and I am really happy how it has turned out. Thanks to everyone for the advice and a big thanks to 3DAGE 'cause halfway through I was ready to hide it at the bottom of my too hard basket.

I did some postwork in Photoshop so here are the before and after versions.

Sweet mother of God! Second Szark opinion here. Stunning!

Now, I understand everyone is busy but is there some slight chance to see some tips about postwork techniques by the end of the competition or is that prolonged for the next competition? As for rule of third read of it on wiki and it'll sure to come in handy. Thank you Szark for diverting the attention to it. I'd try the process now but had to reinstall the system and it's going to take a while to restore whole runtime.:(

Post edited by Ilena on
  • edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    Stunning!
    Thank-you BWSman

Szark said:
    bluemoon amazing.... Yes you did all the work but you listened to the advice given by 3Dage etc and you used that info extrememly well, you should be very proud of this image...I would be if it was mine. I really like the postworked version better.

Thank-you Szark, I love how the postworked one turned out and will use it for my entry. I keep looking at it with a big smile on my face.

Sweet mother of God! Second Szark opinion here. Stunning!
    Thank-you Ilena52, sorry to hear about your computer problems.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Heh...well...this is not at all what I had planned for this contest, but once it started evolving in this direction, I decided to go with it. :) And then decided it might be a better fit for the contest than one of my other WIPs.

I'm thankful for all the forum admins, moderators, and community volunteers, and other helpful people. I assume it's clear who the character represents (although it's not intended as an exact likeness).

Known issues: face needs more illumination, some pokethrough on dress, better render settings needed for un-grainy depth of field. Feel free to point out any others.

chohole1b.jpg
    618 x 800 - 337K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Heh...well...this is not at all what I had planned for this contest, but once it started evolving in this direction, I decided to go with it. :) And then decided it might be a better fit for the contest than one of my other WIPs.

I'm thankful for all the forum admins, moderators, and community volunteers, and other helpful people. I assume it's clear who the character represents (although it's not intended as an exact likeness).

Known issues: face needs more illumination, some pokethrough on dress, better render settings needed for un-grainy depth of field. Feel free to point out any others.

Hand Pose for holding the Club.
    edited December 1969

Hope you don't me butchering your image in Photoshop Scott but IMHO moving the tree right so cho stands out more looks better. What do you think?

chohole1b.jpg
    618 x 800 - 104K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Thanks to both of you! I'll fix the hand pose and play around with the position of the tree.

• gbilliaugbilliau Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

It's a good thing the theme for this contest is so loose, I started this image about two months ago. It's finally good enough that I'm prepared to post it.

Modeled in Blender 2.64, rendered using blender internal, postwork using gimp.
    Postwork solely consists of fixing the eyes.

lynx_v1.0_.jpg
    566 x 800 - 302K
    edited December 1969

Denny L said:
    a good way to show people thinking and what they are thinking about is with a low camera pointing upward (worm view) at the face.

Reworked the angle so this is how it looks now. Again, the girl in the back is going to be worked on in post work. I'll probably be doing one render of the woman, then zoom in on the girl for a second render, then put them together in post work.

z02.jpg
    539 x 620 - 197K
    edited December 1969

I assume it's clear who the character represents (although it's not intended as an exact likeness).

LOL. Maybe not an exact likeness, but you definitely captured the essences.

edited December 1969

gbilliau said:
    It's a good thing the theme for this contest is so loose, I started this image about two months ago. It's finally good enough that I'm prepared to post it.

Modeled in Blender 2.64, rendered using blender internal, postwork using gimp.
    Postwork solely consists of fixing the eyes.

Nice use of Blender there.
    Personally I would have made the light stronger to have more contrast with the shadows. Also I would bend her head back a little more titled to one side with a litte added twist.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Great job everyone keeps it up. Scott I really like yours. The only thing i really see it the hand pose. The fingers need to wrap around it a bit better. Other than that i think its funny.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I am not certain if I should comment on Scott's image