Question for any Poser animators here

edited December 1969 in Art Studio

I'm asking here because it seems to be one of the more active animation forums.

I've had requests for poser versions of my horse aniBlocks, so I've been exporting them after learning how to get around the sometimes buggy exporter script (wasted many hours getting that to work). Anyway, the question I have is whether there is any way to loop a walk cycle for a four-legged animal. I know you can move to the end of the walk cycle and load the pz2 again, but that sets the hip translate back to the start. Am I better off just creating ten second or so cycle and let the end user worry about lengthening or shortening the walk?

Sigh, makes me like aniMate even more. ;-P

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

well most Poser animations walk on the spot, it is up to the user to add translations and walk paths, one reason I often do not use aniblocks or like with yours, use Carrara's aniblock importer with translation disabled and Fenrics pz2 exporter to save out a motion for Poser for use there.

• edited December 1969

It is easier with a human figure to use a walk path. With a four legged animal the slip and slide is really bad, and I worked hard to get the horse's forward motion as real as possible. The forward motion is not linear and looks really off with a linear hip translation.

I do offer all gaits with no forward motion for those who have their own methods.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

yes, I do recall now, I use those gaits

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited November 2012

fivecat said:
    I'm asking here because it seems to be one of the more active animation forums.

I've had requests for poser versions of my horse aniBlocks, so I've been exporting them after learning how to get around the sometimes buggy exporter script (wasted many hours getting that to work). Anyway, the question I have is whether there is any way to loop a walk cycle for a four-legged animal. I know you can move to the end of the walk cycle and load the pz2 again, but that sets the hip translate back to the start. Am I better off just creating ten second or so cycle and let the end user worry about lengthening or shortening the walk?

Sigh, makes me like aniMate even more. ;-P

Did your Horse aniblocks come with BVH files .. you should be able to use the bvh into the timeline. I know if you buy the poser mocap aniblocks they come with the BVH files for poser , But if you don;t have the BVH , you can try exporting the aniblocks as FXB files from Daz studi . that is how i transfer mine aniblocks over to poser sometimes
    Importing centers around creating your own aniBlocks from DS then expoting. If you can get key frames into the DS, you can create an aniBlock from it. DS can import bvh files and poser animation files. Keeping the target character simple usually yields the best results. All aniBlocks from GoFigure are currently based on the Victoria 4 character. Be warned, complex animation and some of the bvh animation files simply cannot be adapted to your target character in poser and need to hand key-framed.
    there is how too's on the gofigure web site
    http://www.gofigure3d.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=75

I hope that helps

Post edited by Ivy on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks, Ivy, but I already have the aniBlocks I made in Poser (pz2) format and they work fine. What I don't have is a way, in Poser, to loop the walk blocks as you would do in aniMate. I have one walk cycle (39 frames) and that is all I need in aniMate as it loops there nicely.

I've been reading the manual and I don't see any way other than a poser script, and I'm not that dedicated, lol.

edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    Thanks, Ivy, but I already have the aniBlocks I made in Poser (pz2) format and they work fine. What I don't have is a way, in Poser, to loop the walk blocks as you would do in aniMate. I have one walk cycle (39 frames) and that is all I need in aniMate as it loops there nicely.

I've been reading the manual and I don't see any way other than a poser script, and I'm not that dedicated, lol.

lol
    I understand. I tried But I couldn't find any scripts that could help you with looping., But Mcasual has some scripts for poser that may help you with looping animation, I've always been able to drop bvh files behind one another .. Maybe you could try to add another aniblock behind the another to give you the desired animation time frame your looking for.

Would you mind sharing where you got your horse aniblocks from? I have been really thinking i'll be needing some myself for a project.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    fivecat said:

lol
    I understand. I tried But I couldn't find any scripts that could help you with looping., But Mcasual has some scripts for poser that may help you with looping animation, I've always been able to drop bvh files behind one another .. Maybe you could try to add another aniblock behind the another to give you the desired animation time frame your looking for.

Would you mind sharing where you got your horse aniblocks from? I have been really thinking i'll be needing some myself for a project.

she made them and they are very nice to work with .

• edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Ivy said:
    fivecat said:

lol

Thanks bigh. I've been exporting blocks and didn't check for replies.

Ivy, You can check my website (byfivecat.com) and on the front page is info and a link to youtube videos.

edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    bigh said:
    Ivy said:
    fivecat said:

lol

Ivy, You can check my website (byfivecat.com) and on the front page is info and a link to youtube videos.

They look great 5cat. i sent you a message on your youtube channel :)

• edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    fivecat said:

They look great 5cat. i sent you a message on your youtube channel :)

Thanks, Ivy!

• edited December 1969

I finally ended up just adding some approximately six second long gait cycles. I hope to not have to do all those messy exports again. The Poser exporter script dumps everything into the pz2.