No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• Diomede, thanks so much for these two basic tutorials. I look forward to following along with the first one either tonight or sometime this weekend. And I really like the second because it shows that moving between scene set-up and modeling in Carrara can be a relatively easy process. Maybe that will actually get me learning how to model! :D

--MW

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

diomede,  Great Job... Very cool... I've learned a few thing too... thanks for everything but especially the "keyhole" and other spline modeling tips.  Now.... I have a few questions, when don't I. :)

• How can I, ModernWilzard and others move/import poses saved in Daz Studio to Carrara?  I have a few but others may have many.  I'm not that familiar with DS.
    • Can I pose in Carrara and save/export for use in Daz Studio?
    • I'd never heard the term "Supergroup"... I expect that you were refering to the character and all subgroups... right?

Onto suggestions,  hope you don't mind. Please disregard if you do.

• I noticed a few spelling and word errors but didn't want to point them out as you were adding to the list.
    • Some instructions were a bit unclear even to me, hard to believe... I know:) ... when mentioning what you did a menu item or a feature it would help if you made a screen shot highlighting the menu item or feature. Perhaps even use a pointer to show where it is.
    • You refer to menu functions like Duplicate... have you decided not to mention a keyboard short cuts?

Please let me know if I can help out in any small way.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,024
    edited October 2016

Thanks, wgdjohn. I am having continuing problems with my keyboard dropping letters when I type.  I have to go back and edit almost every post.  Aaargh.  I tried to fix some of the typos.  Hope everything is a little easier to follow.  No promises regarding editing more of the screencaps, but I will consider it.

I am about half way done with one more example.  After that, I recommend people get the video tutorials by PhilW and MMoir.  I want to give an example of editing shaders, creating new shading domains, using replicators, using the 3d paint tool, and growing hair. 

EDIT:  I am not going to refer to keyboard shortcts very often, if at all.

Post edited by Diomede on

Aviator Mei, Vampire Hunter

I picked up a couple of items in recent sales so I will use them as an excuse to introduce a few other features.  If you are a beginner, try to ignore my general lack of artistic acumen and instead focus on various tools Carrara has and how to access them.  I acquired a dirt/blood skin shader pack for G2F and some vampire-related props.   I will be adjusting the arms of G2F to integrate some of the blood texture maps that come with the shader pack and I will be using the 3d paint tool to put some blood on some of the vampire hunting props.  In addition, I will be using a conforming clothing outfit that was designed for V4 on G2F.  I will customize the shaders of the outfit and create some fur lining.

Here are some of the products I will be using.

bb01 product ultimate dirt and blood g2f.JPG
    1133 x 888 - 184K
    aviator product.JPG
    1166 x 1030 - 144K
    vampyre kit.JPG
    1069 x 825 - 108K
    saki for 6.JPG
    1105 x 644 - 97K
    5 times a lady.JPG
    1127 x 893 - 115K
    edited October 2016

First, the Aviator Outfit is for V4 but I want to use genesis 2 female.  The following thread includes more detail on the process.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45361/best-practices-using-genesis-and-genesis-2-content-in-carrara/p1

However, one way to do it can be summarized as follows. (this uses the Daz transfer utility).  This assumes that you own any needed "clones" that allow the items to be converted.  http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female

- to convert, open Daz Studio and load a base genesis 2 female

- find the V4 clothing item in your content libraries.  Click and drag to the G2F.  Studio will say it is wrong and prompt you to convert.  Tell Studio the item was created for V4 (or whatever)

- Studio will convert the item for use for G2F.

- Select the G2F in the scene tab and use FILE : SAVE AS : WEARABLE PRESET  and save the file to a location of your choice.  I gather all of my V4 to G2F content in one place.  Some people prefer to save as a support asset rather than a wearable.

- Repeat for each item to be used.

- Close studio.

fit to in studio.JPG
    759 x 666 - 70K
    file save as wearable preset.JPG
    1489 x 678 - 137K
    edited October 2016

I started a new medium sized scene.

I loaded the base genesis 2 female from the people folder of the content browser.

I loaded a global skin shader that I had customized for maps acquired with the Saki or G2F character (see tutorial 1 above).  Just clicked and dragged from my shader browser to the mutlicolored globe found when highlighting the "actor" level of G2F and clicking the shader tab.

​I loaded the aviator clothing items that I had converted to wearables by clicking and dragging to the G2F supergroup level.

I used the "fit to" function to conform each clothing item to G2F.

bb04 load Saki for G2F saved skin shader.JPG
    1876 x 944 - 207K
    bb05 saved v4 to gsf wearable presets.JPG
    1895 x 1010 - 266K
    bb06 load and fit to converted aviator outfit for v4.JPG
    1889 x 996 - 254K
    edited October 2016

Next, I wanted to add dynamic hair.  Following the method shown in the second tutorial, I clicked and dragged the dynamic hair from Naomi called "5 times a lady" to the "head" level of the G2F hierarchy.

bb07 load hair 5 times ladies by naomi.JPG
    1912 x 998 - 232K
    edited October 2016

Purely for visual convenience, I decided to create a backdrop in the assemble room.  I selected the "scene" in the instances tray.  I clicked the backdrop and chose Bi Gradient.  I clicked the two middle boxes and chose white.  I won't be keeping this at render time but it can be convenient when putting the scene together.

Next I wanted to alter the shape. I simply used dial morphs.   I highlighted the "actor level" of the G2F, clicked on the parameters tab, and searched for Mei and then for Lotus.  I dialed to taste.  Note that the Mei morphs changed the G2F height.  No problem, the V4Aviator clothing items morphed and continued to "fit to" the G2F.

I then went to the render room and did a test render.

bb08 convenience backdrop bigradient make both middle white.JPG
    1624 x 983 - 213K
    bb09 actor level paramtrs lotus at 5.JPG
    1750 x 989 - 254K
    bb10 parameter mei in 5 noe change height.JPG
    1759 x 960 - 255K
    bb11 test render render room.JPG
    1574 x 863 - 98K
    edited October 2016

I want to customize the Aviator outfit by changing the texture to a dark green denim, with white trim, and the white trim should have fur. I started with the shorts and used similar methods for the top.  Note that the upper middle/right of the scene has icons for different display modes.  You can set the assemble room display to use the textures of the objects.  I generally don't do that, but here is an example.

I selected the actor level of the shorts and entered the shader room.  Notice that the shorts only have two domains, which are clothing and belt.  But I had reason to want a separate shading domain for the cuffs and the zipper tab.

bb12 focus on shorts change display mode to show current texture.JPG
    1703 x 956 - 193K
    bb13 enter shader room select actor of short.JPG
    1809 x 851 - 164K
    edited October 2016

To create a new shading domain, click on the wrench in the upper right and enter the modeling room (the actor level of the shorts should still be selected).

You will get a warning about protected topology.  For these puroses, I just ignored it.

Using the selection tools, I selected the bottom of the shorts.

Under the model tab on the right, there is a drop down menu for shading domains.  Choose new shading domain and pick a name.  It will be applied to the current selection.  Click off the model to deselect (or use "deselect all" from the top edit menu).

bb18 enter vertex modeler ignore waning.JPG
    1796 x 1034 - 221K
    bb19 use selection tools to select cuffs.JPG
    1913 x 866 - 195K
    bb20 new shading domain cuffs.JPG
    1401 x 890 - 148K
    edited October 2016

Returning to the assemble room (click the hand icon), you will see that the cuffs shading domain has been assigned the default grey.

With actor still selected, click the paintbrush icon in upper right to enter the texture room.  There is a new shading domain for the cuffs but it is empty.  You will see a drop down menu.  Use it and choose create new shading domain.  It will get a default name like shader or shader 1.  Double click the new shader to open its tree, 

bb21 return assemble room note cuffs no longer using clothing map.JPG
    1406 x 948 - 159K
    bb22 texture room use drop down menu cuffs to create new master shader.JPG
    1906 x 921 - 174K
    bb23 double click cuffs shader to bring up its tree.JPG
    1847 x 884 - 172K
    edited October 2016

Notice that the default color channel is a simple grey.  I want an off white.  One way to get a little pleasant variation is to use a gradient.  Click the color channel and choose color gradient.  A horizontal bar appears with varying shades of blue. I clicked on the arrows at the ends to bring up the color wheel.  I set them both to white.  I clicked in the middle of the bar to create a new arrow and bring up the color wheel again.  Here I chose a simple off white grey.  The next thing is to add something to control the gradient.  I used the drop down menu to choose fractal noise.

bb24 cuffs diffuse to color gradient.JPG
    1762 x 906 - 146K
    bb25 click color gradient arrow to bring up wheel and click to set.JPG
    1677 x 860 - 149K
    bb26 click bar to add key and I set to slight grey.JPG
    1646 x 857 - 144K
    bb27 gradiet driver set to noise fractal.JPG
    1654 x 726 - 119K
    edited October 2016

The cuffs will be covered in fur so too much detail is not necessary.  The following is just for illustrative purposes.  I reduced both the highlight and the shininess.  I then set a complex bump.  In the bump channel, I used the drop down menu to choose OPERATORS : MIXER. The result is a source 1, source 2, and a blender.  For source 1, i chose NATURAL FUNCTION : SPOTS.  I reduced the size of the spots and reduced the blend (so more contrast).  In source 2, I used the menu to choose fractal noise.  In the blender, I chose value (1-100).  I chose 50, which results in source 1 and source 2 being used equally.  If the value s 0, the result is to use source 1 entirley.  If the value is 100%  (or 1), the result is to use source 2 entirely.  You can create very complex shaders.

bb29 bump operator mixer.JPG
    1778 x 876 - 151K
    bb30 source 1 natural function spots reduce spot size and reduce blending.JPG
    1714 x 834 - 138K
    bb31 source 2 fractal noise.JPG
    1696 x 842 - 145K
    bb32 bump blender value 50 mkes each source half.JPG
    1906 x 936 - 168K
    bb33 top level shader reduce bump amplitude to 30.JPG
    1838 x 822 - 163K
    edited October 2016

Next I addressed the base fabric of the shorts.  Still with the "actor" level selected, I double clicked the clothing fabric shading domain to bring up its tree.  I clicked on the color channel and chose texture map.  I navigated to a folder in which I keep denim tiles.  I chose a greenish denim.  I chose to tile it 8 times.  Note the check mark by "tile."  Next, holding the control key, I clicked and dragged the color channel to the bump channel so the denim grooves colors would match the bump.  I then went to the top shader level and set the bump to taste. 

bb36 diffuse channel denim map.JPG
    1760 x 933 - 191K
    bb37 tile chose 8 times.JPG
    1848 x 803 - 149K
    bb38 control drag denim to bump.JPG
    1862 x 852 - 158K

I repeated similar steps for the belt.  I double clicked the belt shading domain to bing up its tree.  I loaded a texture map of leather in the color channel and then copied that to the bump map, and adjusted the bump intensity at the top level.

bb41 belt texture tree.JPG
    1846 x 917 - 173K
    bb42 diffuse load map ktnleather.JPG
    1867 x 930 - 193K
    bb43 tile seamlessly.JPG
    1813 x 881 - 161K
    bb44 copy to bump.JPG
    1865 x 814 - 148K

I did a test render.  Aaaargh.  The shorts have a belt buckle with wings.  Unfortunately, it does not have a separate shading domain - yet.

bb46 test render argh notice the buckle.JPG
    1592 x 902 - 119K
    edited October 2016

Using the same method as for the cuffs, I entered the modeling room and selected the polygons for the wings and the circle to create new shading domains.  I then entered the texture room and used the wizard to pick a metalic shader (brass) for the wings/circle buckle.  Another test render.

bb47 return modeling room new shading domain wings.JPG
    1473 x 875 - 171K
    bb50 better wizard pick presetmetal worn brass.JPG
    1818 x 822 - 178K
    bb51 test render brass buckle.JPG
    1510 x 791 - 87K
    edited October 2016

Next I gave the shorts a fur trim by using dynamic hair on the cuffs. 

I returned to the assemble room.

I dragged the hair icon from the upper menu to the actor level of the shorts.

Carrara prompted me with two choices related to how the hair would be used.  I chose "geometry based" and "guide based."

I zoomed in on the shorts model.  Notice the "select by" menu on the right side.  I clicked "selected by" and chose the "cuffs" shading domain that I made earlier.

The cuffs turned green.

bb52 drag hair to actor level of shorts.JPG
    1527 x 916 - 181K
    bb53 hair modeling room.JPG
    1427 x 766 - 87K
    bb54 zoom in on shorts grow region ee select by options.JPG
    1902 x 907 - 185K
    bb55 select by shading domain and pickcuffs.JPG
    1445 x 916 - 165K
    bb56 see cuffs turn green.JPG
    1521 x 955 - 164K
    edited October 2016

The properties tray (right side) has three tabs, labeled "tool," "general," and "Dynamics."

Under the general tab, I reduced the length to 0.05 and set thickness to medium,

Click to check or uncheck "show in 3d view" to see the projected hairs.  However, the blue guide hairs will be shown in this modeling room but not the main room even if the show in 3d view is unchecked.  If you have show in 3d view unchecked, you won't see the hair in the assemble room.  It can be easier to work on other items in the assemble room if this is unchecked. 

I checked the "short hair / fur" option rather than the long hair option.

I increased the number of segments per hair to 10 and the number of guide hairs to 60.

With "show in 3d view" checked I went to the render room by clicking the film icon in upper right and did a test render.  Notice that the hair just sticks out straight, is not dense enough, and the color does not match the cuffs shading domain.

bb57 guide hair tool is near right of top menu general tab for adjustable settings.JPG
    1438 x 941 - 136K
    bb58 settings reduce length check fur increase segments increase number guides uncheck show in 3d view.JPG
    1385 x 961 - 126K
    bb60 test render default fur color higher hair count stick out.JPG
    1491 x 871 - 108K
    edited October 2016

I returned to the hair modeling room by clicking the wrench icon.

I unchecked "show in 3d view" to just show the blue guide hairs.  I could have used the brush tool (upper left menu) and manually brushed the blue guide hairs in the direction that I wanted.

Instead, just for this example, I clicked the dynamics tab.  It has settings to control how gravity, objects, wind, etc., affect the hair.  I kept the default settings and clicked "drape all."  It took a few moments, but the blue guide hairs draped downwards.  I clicked convert to accept.  Clicking any other button causes the most recent drape to be lost and the hair returning to its previous state. 

Under the "general" tab, I increased the hair count.

I rechecked "show in 3d view" so I could work on the hair shader.

I clicked on the paintbrush icon (upper right) with hair still selected to enter the texture room for the hair.

Notice that the hair shader tree is a little different than the standard.  The hair shader tree has separate channels for the root and tip.  It also has channels for friz, waviness, etc. 

To more closely match the underlying cuff shader, I put a white gradient in the chanels for root and tip, but left the ohers at their default.

bb61 dynamic tab drape and convert.JPG
    1485 x 923 - 137K
    bb62 change to medium thickness and increase hair count 25000.JPG
    1479 x 931 - 139K
    bb63 hair shader.JPG
    1796 x 834 - 150K
    bb64 root and tip color gradients white.JPG
    1687 x 752 - 124K
    edited October 2016

I returned to the render room (film icon upper right)

I did a test render and thought the fur was still too long.

I returned to the hair modeling room (wrench icon upper right), and under the general tab reduced the length from 0.05 to 0.03.

I returned to the render room and did a second test render.  I was happier with the result.  If not, I could have returned to the modelng room and used the brush tool, or adjusted length, or the number of hairs. 

Note that you can use texture maps to control the settings in the hair shader channel, including length and thickess.

Relatively happy, I returned to the hair modeler and unchecked "show in 3d view" to continue working on the scene. 

bb65 test render fur on cuffs.JPG
    1525 x 752 - 83K
    bb65 test render fur on cuffs.JPG
    1525 x 752 - 83K
    edited October 2016

In the assemble room, I took a break from the main project and decided to relabel some of the shaders to keep track of them better. 

In the instances tray (lower right) there are tabs for "instances," "objects," "shaders," "sounds," and "clips."

I clicked on the "shaders tab" to bring up the list of shaders currently available in the scene.  Recall that I had created new shader domains for the cuffs and the belt buckle.  Carrara assigned a name to these called "shader" and "shader 1," and... for any that I created.  I then edited these to make them white, or chose the brass shader preset, etc.  However, the name is still "shader" or whatever.

In the box in the lower right, with "shader" tab clicked, I navigated to the "shader" and "shader 1" icons and renamed them cuffs and brass respectively.  To do so, doubleclick on the desired shader in the lower right and the shader tree will open.  You can change the name in the properties tray (upper right).

Return to the assemble room.

Recall that you can click and drag shaders to your shader browser to save them for use in other projects (see first tutorial).

bb68 return assemble room instances tray shader tab.JPG
    1682 x 1023 - 230K
    bb69 double click cuff shader 1 to open tree and change name.JPG
    1870 x 1011 - 190K
    bb70 change name fur liner cuffs.JPG
    1787 x 939 - 171K
    bb71 repeat brass buckle shader.JPG
    1850 x 922 - 175K
    edited October 2016

I then applied the same concepts to the aviator outfit's top.

I returned to the assemble room.  I selected the actor level of the top and entered the modelng room.

I created new shading domains for where I wanted the fur.

I applied the saved green denim shader to the main area of the top and the saved white gradient shader to the collar and trim area of the top.  I used the brass shader for the zipper.

I dragged the hair icon to the actor level of the top.

I adjusted the hair thickness, length, number of hairs, etc. and draped the hair, and converted the drape.

I changed the hair texture.

I did a new test render with both the shorts and the top with their new saders and fur trim.

bb72 apply same concepts to the top include hair and shaders.JPG
    1359 x 769 - 71K
    edited October 2016

I then focused on the skin shader for the G2F.  I want the character to have blood on the forearms and hands.  I recently bought the "Ultimate Dirt and Blood" resource kit for G2F by Tolero. It includes a number of texture maps that can be used on the shading domains for G2F with presets in Daz Studio.  I am going to apply just the limbs blood map to just the forearms and hands in Carrara.

http://www.daz3d.com/ultimate-dirt-n-blood-for-genesis-2-female

In the assemble room, I selected the "actor" level of the genesis 2 female and clicked the paintbrush icon to enter the texture room.  The G2F has very many shading domains. I double clicked the shading domain for the forearm from the list on the right.

The shader tree for the forearm appears.  At the top level, I changed from multichannel to COMPLEX SHADER : MULTICHANNEL MIXER. The tree now has slots for source 1, source 2, and a blender.

Carrara places the pre-existing skin shader in source 1.

I clicked source 2 and chose "multichannel."

bb01 product ultimate dirt and blood g2f.JPG
    1133 x 888 - 184K
    bb73 G2F actor level shader.JPG
    1608 x 908 - 236K
    bb74 g2f forearm shader 16.JPG
    1767 x 813 - 168K
    bb75 top shader complex shader multichannel mixer.JPG
    1620 x 838 - 138K
    bb76 source 2 multichannel.JPG
    1805 x 980 - 215K
    edited October 2016

I opened the shader tree for the multichannel that I created for source 2.

I clicked on the color channel and chose texture map.

(If you don't know where the Tolero dirt/blood product was installed, you can use DIM to find where the maps were installed before continuing).

I navigated to where the maps installed and chose the limbs texture map for blood.

Similarly, I loaded the limbs bump map in the bump channel and the appropriate limbs map in the hgihlight channel.

I clicked the blender and chose value.  The way the blender works, a zero value uses only source 1, a 1 value (or 100%) uses only source 2.  Intermediate values mix the two sources.  I set the value to 100% so that only source 2 would be used.

I did a test render to confirm that the blood was applied to the forearms.

bb77 find tolero limbs blood.JPG
    1565 x 877 - 198K
    bb78 load tolero blood bump.JPG
    1570 x 909 - 208K
    bb79 load highlight and include multiply set to 100.JPG
    1708 x 890 - 220K
    bb80 blender 100 to use second source.JPG
    893 x 604 - 47K
    bb81 test render forearms blood.JPG
    1241 x 859 - 68K
    edited October 2016

I repeated the process to apply the blood maps to the G2F hands.

I did another test render.

Note that you can use the 3d paint tool on the g2f to paint a black/white texture map for the blender to apply the Tolero blood shader only to where you want.  However, I will demostrate that on an easier model, a prop that I recently acquired as part of the vampyre kit.

Here is the test render with both the forearms and the hands covered in Tolero's blood.

bb82 repeat for hands.JPG
    1543 x 880 - 111K

A hammer (mallet) comes with the Vampyre's Bane props kit.  I am going to use the 3d paint tool to paint some blood on the front of the hammer.

I opened my browser tray and navigated to where the props were installed.

I clicked and dragged the hammer to the right hand level of the G2F hierarchy in the instances tray (lower right).  This is called parenting a prop.  This means that the hammer will move when the hand moves.  I used the translate tools (upper left of assemble room) to move, rotate, and scale the hammer to where I wanted it (on the hand of the g2f).  I also loaded a few other vampyre bane props in the scene but did not parent them to anything.

I selected the hammer and clicked the 3d paint tool from the upper left menu.

Carrara opened the 3d paint area and warned me that there are no active paint regions.  I'd have to create them.

vampyre kit.JPG
    1069 x 825 - 108K
    bb83 props vampires bane load to hand.JPG
    1850 x 764 - 218K
    bb84 load more props in scene.JPG
    1886 x 1006 - 265K
    bb85 3d paint tool in assemble room select hammer.JPG
    1893 x 811 - 219K
    bb86 3d paint no active shader warning.JPG
    1846 x 744 - 155K

BE CAREFUL!!!  DON'T OVERWRITE THE TEXTURE MAPS THAT COME WITH YOUR PRODUCTS.

To make sure that I did not overwrite any existing texture maps I chose an empty channel (in this case alpha) and clicked the magic wand looking icon to create a new empty texture map.  Carrara will automatically apply to the correct uvs, so for your own models, it is important to have a good uvmap. 

Carrara offers a new file dialog which includes the default color. In this case, change the default color from white to black.  Increase the size to 1024 by 1024.

Next choose a name and location for the new painted texture file to be saved.

Next, in the channel in which you will paint (in this case Alpha), click the little paintbrush icon in the right side properties tray so that the paintbrush will be activated there.

bb87 click magic wand new texture map dialog.JPG
    828 x 572 - 60K
    bb88 paint in unused channel I use alpha.JPG
    810 x 549 - 66K
    bb89 set default color black and save as tiff file location.JPG
    1324 x 778 - 125K
    bb90 click paintbrush in alpha channel to activate in channel.JPG
    1496 x 827 - 142K

Next I clicked the tool tab to set the paintbrush.  Use shift and drag simultaneously to change the brush size, or use the menu.  I changed the default brush to a more scratchy brush.  I changed the paint color to white.  I then left clicked and dragged to paint directly on the hammer.

bb91 tool panel hold shift and drag to change brush size.JPG
    1238 x 687 - 109K
    bb92 change tool brush mask.JPG
    911 x 784 - 111K
    bb93 change color of tool to white.JPG
    622 x 453 - 41K
    bb94 show paint strokes on hammer.JPG
    1636 x 768 - 160K
    edited October 2016

This is the result I want because I intend to use this black and white map as the blender opacity mask to control where the hammer's own shader is used and where a blood shader will be used.

To get the map, return to the "textures" tab where the list of channels and their maps appears.  Notice how the square next to alpha now has white specs?  That is where the paint strokes appear on the uvmap.  Right click on the map in the alpha channel and export to a desired location as either a tiff or jpg or other desired file format.

I the clicked the hand icon in upper left to return to the assemle room.

bb95 texture tab show map in channel.JPG
    1104 x 740 - 112K
    bb96 save as mask mage.JPG
    965 x 765 - 93K
    bb97 click icon to return to assemble.JPG
    1886 x 791 - 190K