Expected Release Date & Capabilities of the Install Manager

ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
edited November 2012 in The Commons

I would like to know what the expected release date & capabilities are with the forthcoming Install Manager and the New Zip format for DS 4.5. (Last edited 11/19/12)

Expected Release Date: One day closer than yesterday

1) Will the Install Manager be able to keep track of what is installed?

Yes - per Richard Haseltine 11/16/12

2) Will the Install Manager be able to connect to DAZ and notify you of updates?

3) Will the Install Manager be able to connect to DAZ and not let you repurchase an item?

4) Will the Install Manager be able to see what is already installed in DS or will it need to be reinstalled with the New Zip format?

5) Will the Install Manager be able to manage or categorize the content as installed into DS? (question edited 11/16/12)

6) Will the Install Manager be able to show a list of what has been installed?

7) Will the Install Manager be able to install several New Zips at one time?

8) Will the New Zips have version numbers or will that be in the executable?

9) Will the New Zips have Meta Data for all of them?

but I would expect so - per Richard Haseltine 11/16/12

10) Will the New Zips only work with the Install Manager or can they be a stand alone product?

will be usable stand-alone, the Install Manager will be optional - per Richard Haseltine 11/16/12

If any one else can think of any other pertinent questions, please do so and I will add them to the list. If you feel an existing question in the list needs clarification or something added or something taken away please feel free to express yourself.

I made this list because I am trying to categorize my content, but I installed way too much at one time to be able to do it properly. So now I want to uninstall everything or just about everything and organize it as I reinstall it. But I do not want to waste all of the time it is going to take if the Install Manager is not going to recognize the existing installed content for update purposes or whatever else the capabilities are going to be with it.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,203
    edited December 1969

Several of those questions have not been answered, and it's possible that some of the answers that have been given may have been overtaken by events, but as I recall:

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) -
    4) -
    5) not sure what you mean
    6) -
    7) Yes
    8) -
    9) -, but I would expect so
    10) will be usable stand-alone, the Install manger will be optional

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Several of those questions have not been answered, and it's possible that some of the answers that have been given may have been overtaken by events, but as I recall:

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) -
    4) -
    5) not sure what you mean
    6) -
    7) Yes
    8) -
    9) -, but I would expect so
    10) will be usable stand-alone, the Install manger will be optional

TY for your answers Richard. If you could find out about any others it certainly would be appreciated.

What I mean on question 5 is will we be able to organize the content as installed with the Install Manager or will the content still have to be managed inside DS?

edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    What I mean on question 5 is will we be able to organize the content as installed with the Install Manager or will the content still have to be managed inside DS?

I suspect, from what was said previously, that moving content within the content directory will not be supported (that is, doing so will break the linkages) - but it was said that it would support multiple content directories.

• argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757
    edited December 1969

Hey Richard, any word on a release date?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Are you tempting Richard to post 4 letter words. :cheese:

edited November 2012

Ledhead said:

I suspect, from what was said previously, that moving content within the content directory will not be supported (that is, doing so will break the linkages) - but it was said that it would support multiple content directories.

So if we use the Install Manager, yet organize content inside of DS, DAZ will no longer support what the Install Manager is capable of?
    Not to happy to hear that when there is no organization of content. I am guessing the Install Manager would be worthless to me then because, unlike DAZ, I am all about organization.

Sorry about ranting, but I was certainly hoping for more. If only someone at DAZ would sit down and say "We need some changes as to the way everything is installed", if only.

Edited: I read your post again Richard and come to the realization that maybe I misunderstood what you said.

Will categorizing Smart Content disrupt it's ability or is that included when you say moving things around inside the content directory?

Post edited by ledhead on
    edited December 1969

I wouldn't dare venture the four-letter word - I really don't have any of that kind of information, all my answers above are based on what has been posted publicly. If I did know more I would be under a vow of secrecy, and no number of alluring seductresses sent my way would persuade me to impart my knowledge (not that I wish to discourage alluring seductresses, of course).

edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    Ledhead said:

So if we use the Install Manager, yet organize content inside of DS, DAZ will no longer support what the Install Manager is capable of?
    Not to happy to hear that when there is no organization of content. I am guessing the Install Manager would be worthless to me then because, unlike DAZ, I am all about organization.

Sorry about ranting, but I was certainly hoping for more. If only someone at DAZ would sit down and say "We need some changes as to the way everything is installed", if only.

Edited: I read your post again Richard and come to the realization that maybe I misunderstood what you said.

Will categorizing Smart Content disrupt it's ability or is that included when you say moving things around inside the content directory?

This was discussed, but very early on - my understanding at the tiem was that moving actual files around would break things, but I've no idea if that is going to be true of the released product. It would certainly be useful, to me as a fellow content-organiser, if it would at least alert us to updates still.

edited December 1969

Would this alluring seductress help shake your vow of secrecy?

pic0002.jpg
    495 x 431 - 29K
    edited December 1969

Consider me shaken.

edited December 1969

Consider me shaken.

I knew it would work, now spit it out .... lol.

I understand you can share either all you know or all you are allowed to share.

Would you mind if I just made stuff up and put your name on it? LOL

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

Consider me shaken.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I'm positive it will be released before I become fluent in Russian.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Do you refer to the other word for anon? ;-)
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    chohole said:

Do you refer to the other word for anon? ;-)

yes
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

After dealing with DAZ installers for years, I can't wait to see what this disaster brings.

Seems DAZ is always wanting to do more and more for me when I didn't need the help in the first place. DAZ keeps coming up with these fancy tech ways to do something that is as simple as unzip and drag and drop. It seems to me these DAZ installers are turning in to Rube Goldberg machines.

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited November 2012

ManStan said:
    After dealing with DAZ installers for years, I can't wait to see what this disaster brings.

Seems DAZ is always wanting to do more and more for me when I didn't need the help in the first place. DAZ keeps coming up with these fancy tech ways to do something that is as simple as unzip and drag and drop. It seems to me these DAZ installers are turning in to Rube Goldberg machines.

If it is able to let you know when a product has an update I would think it would be well worth it. I am hoping it doesn't stop there and will include many other things that will make our life easier when it comes to keeping track of and installing content.

Edited to replace are for our. Shouldn't be in the forum when I first wake up.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:

As it is an optional extra the solution is easy for you Stan.
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

chohole said:
    ManStan said:

As it is an optional extra the solution is easy for you Stan.

Agree, like CMS if you don't want it you don't have to run it. Give me the old fashion, I know where my content is because I put it there, zip file.

The DAZ installers are one of my top 5 DAZ gripes. As far as keeping track of updates all DAZ has to do for me is reset them to my available downloads. I check them once a week anyway.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Hey guys,
    Sorry about the issues in this thread. There were some statements that were confusing and inaccurate and others that simply shouldn't have been made about our Installer replacement software. While I won't use the dreaded "Soon" I will say it is being worked on, has some features we are excited about and we believe you will be equally excited about.

May I please suggest we just leave it at that and get back to creating art. :)

Crowd3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Hey guys,
    Sorry about the issues in this thread. There were some statements that were confusing and inaccurate and others that simply shouldn't have been made about our Installer replacement software. While I won't use the dreaded "Soon" I will say it is being worked on, has some features we are excited about and we believe you will be equally excited about.

So, which statements are inaccurate and which should not have been made?

edited November 2012

icprncss said:
    Hey guys,

I will edit the front page now so there is no confusion.

Edited to say: On second thought someone else did it for me.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    icprncss said:
    Hey guys,

I will edit the front page now so there is no confusion.Thanks

edited December 2012

Hey guys,

Well, I am still buying more stuff than I am downloading and installing, so I am really looking forward to this tool. For example, I still have not touched Genesis, though I have been keeping up (I was going to skip S5, but in the recent 70% off sale, I caved and picked her up). As I have mentioned before, back when I was more active in the forums, the current installers punish your biggest spenders the most. My patience is reaching a breaking point -- i.e. why should I continue to spend money on content I am not even downloading? I would rather see a trimmed down download manager now than one with tons of bells and whistles that I have to continue to wait on. Heck, I would be happy if you just Windows users a Zip file download option, including for all the old content. That alone would make downloading and installing the content much, much easier.

Anyway, that's why some of your customers are very, very anxious to see this download manager released!!

Post edited by argel1200 on
    edited December 1969

I guess a question worth asking is if DAZ would be willing to release the Zip files before the download manager is ready (as an alternate option to the installers)? This would be a huge boon to me!!

edited December 1969

argel1200 said:
    I guess a question worth asking is if DAZ would be willing to release the Zip files before the download manager is ready (as an alternate option to the installers)? This would be a huge boon to me!!

I agree with that. It would actually make sense to have the zips available for downloading on the new items when purchased so there is not a mad scramble when the zips become available after the release of the Install Manager.