my WIP's, working on to much at the same time..

VarselVarsel Posts: 574
edited August 2013 in Art Studio

Vietnamese national costume.
This is a long dress, with a pair of wide pants. And a hat.
I am modeling the hat to fit to the "Pure Hair: Retro" : http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pure-hair-retro
According to my consultant (that actually use to wear this dress) this hair is approved to this hat.
-
So I have some questions....
How many bones should there be in the skirt ? I was thinking 6-8. This dress is made of silk, so it should be very movable.
-
The hat. Should it be fitted to Genesis or to the hair.
-
I'm still working on the pants. They are made of silk.. so there are some folds in them.... And they are wide. First time I saw them I thought they were a skirt....:red:

Post edited by Varsel on

Comments

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

Wow, very cool!

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022
    edited December 1969

That looks awesome :)

I'd say the hat should either be a smart prop or fitted to genesis and not the hair.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited December 1969

Leana said:
    I'd say the hat should either be a smart prop or fitted to genesis and not the hair.

Agreed. You might also consider making a nón lá ('leaf hat', the classic Asian conical hat), which would go well with the aoi dai.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I politely disagree. Fitting a hat to the head and not the hair will often cause hair clipping with any FBM. I sell a product to fix that, so I certainly don't mind if people want to do it the other way. ;)

I suggest the skirt is fine with the usual four bones (upper and lower right and left) and that with a few morphs you can make it move like cloth much more easily than with more bones. Are you modeling this against a single female morph or against base Genesis?

It's a great-looking set, either way. I love this look and I will look forward to seeing it finished.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Thank's folks..
    -
    One small thing.. the name of this dress is Ao Dai
    (my Vietnamese isn't strong, so these errors are easy to make, and my consultant love to correct me...)
    -
    I've started to rig it. It's been a while since I tried to rig for Genesis, so I had to read the manual first.
    For the skirt I have used 8 bones. (on each side)
    -
    So I fit the hat to Genesis...
    And I might also try to make a straw hat to her.

edited October 2012

Cross posting with SickleYield.....
    -
    The hat isn't what I would call a hat, but they do. It's more like a head decoration.
    It's used on formal occasions. And it will be decorated in style with the dress.
    So it is modeled against the hair, to get a close fit. There are still a innerband on it, that I haven't made yet.
    So perhaps fitted to the hair...?
    -
    One thing that I love with this dress, is that even if it is a national costume, there are no rules about colour or decorations on the dress.
    Although it is custom that young girls were white, and as they grow older, more colours are used...
    And red with gold decorations for weddings....
    -
    Here is the setup for the bones.. To much ?
    -
    And yes the dress is modeled against the BasicFemaleMorph. It should make better UV-maps this way..

new-5.jpg
    800 x 516 - 118K
    new-4.jpg
    704 x 898 - 189K
    Post edited by Varsel on
    edited December 1969

It's not even touching Genesis - I really would conform it to the hair. That doesn't cause the errors with dufs that it did with cr2s.

And wow. :D It's going to take longer to pose all those, but you can certainly get some beautiful poses with them. Sometimes more is less, like with the Genesis fantasy wrap (it has so many bones it takes forever to use) but I think eight isn't too bad.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

Just curious if you fit it to the hair will it only work with that hair.

I know you said that traditionally that hair fits; but not everyone is necassarily going to use it for a traditional Vietnamese costume.

edited December 1969

Just curious if you fit it to the hair will it only work with that hair.

I know you said that traditionally that hair fits; but not everyone is necassarily going to use it for a traditional Vietnamese costume.

No. You'll be able to fit it to any hair if he does that, or for that matter to Genesis if you wish. It's still a conforming duf (or dsf if he's using DS4.0) and it will have the same bone names as Genesis and any Genesis hair.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

Ok thats good but - only Genesis hair not hair that is rigged for V4 for example.
    Personally I think it would be better if it was just a smart prop, I can't quite see why its needs to fit to?

edited December 1969

The reason (as I understand it) for fitting it, and not smart-propping :

When you are shaping Genesis, the head moves and scale, but the prop isn't.
    This type of hair-do is embedded and pinned into the hair. So the tight fit would be a pain to get with a prop.
    It could be done with morphs... but fitting is easier (I think)
    -
    I am also considering a crown-like tiara, but haven't been able to find a proper design yet.
    She loves gold and diamonds (as all girls do)
    -
    @scorpio64dragon : if there is something special you are looking for, give me a word. I have made some headprops before..

edited October 2012

Varsel said:
    The reason (as I understand it) for fitting it, and not smart-propping :

When you are shaping Genesis, the head moves and scale, but the prop isn't.
    This type of hair-do is embedded and pinned into the hair. So the tight fit would be a pain to get with a prop.
    It could be done with morphs... but fitting is easier (I think)
    -
    I am also considering a crown-like tiara, but haven't been able to find a proper design yet.
    She loves gold and diamonds (as all girls do)
    -
    @scorpio64dragon : if there is something special you are looking for, give me a word. I have made some headprops before..

Exactly. Smartprops require a lot of manual adjustment that conformers don't with Genesis. With V4 the conformer needed just as much adjustment, so it wasn't really better.

(Not necessarily, some of us like platinum and emeralds!)

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

Well, I got the hat from Hexagon and into Studio.

But there where some funny problems....

I had to make a morph in the hair.
    Some of the strands didn't fit properly under the hairband, and when using smoothing it distorted the hat.
    But with the hat fitted to the hair, this morph distorted the hat.

So on the picture the hat is fitted to Genesis.
    But of course, there were some other stupid things, as the UV-map isn't good enough.
    And a funny thing, that when used in Carrara, it looses the UV-map.

hat01.jpg
    982 x 618 - 164K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

WOW, Great work. I will lurk and watch this.

edited December 1969

Its amassing what a good texture does to the mesh...
    This is the first test, with just a tiling texture....

The skirt has six bones on the front and six on the back.
    I can also see that I'll have to make some morphs in the skirt, so it will flow better in the breeze...
    And some morphs on the arm, so it looks more like silk, rather than just two tubes..

And the poor girl need some pants. This is something I never have done before. So there will be some experimenting to get the loose look with folds, and adjustment and movement morphs.... (and not to forget those high heels...)

fullDress.jpg
    983 x 895 - 134K
    edited December 1969

I have hit a problem.

I want to make some morphs to replace the autogenerated morphs.
    For the standard Genesis female and male, that is no problem..

But when doing this for shapes that scale the figure I'm getting problems.
    I shape Genesis to V5.

Then I export the hair and hat to Hexagon bye the bridge.
    Reshape the hat so it fits.
    Export the hat as FBMVictoria5.obj

Using the MorphloaderPro I import the morph
    Setting Overwrite Existing to Deltas Only

It does work for the shape, but it also looks like it pick up the scaling, so the hat disappears into the chest.

So my question is : How do you this... What am I missing ?

morphproblem.jpg
    983 x 895 - 224K
    edited December 1969

When you refit to a morph that uses scaling, you have to eliminate the scaling from your process.

So: Load Genesis only. Dial it to V5. Go to transforms and set scale to 100%.

Now export V5. Import to Hexagon or wherever. She is the correct scale to morph your object to. You will also need to do this with S3, S5, V5Supermodel, Mavka, and A3 if you use those morphs. V3, V4, A4, Hitomi, Voluptuous and the Girl 4 are 100% normally and need no scale correction (but Hitomi has that separate breast morph thing to deal with). All the males are bigger than 100% other than Basic, David 3, Hiro 3 and Hiro 4.

It's good to keep a folder of correctly-scaled versions of these morphs for importing to your modeler, or if the modeler can use layers, a file full of all the female morphs (or all the male morphs, all the Universals,etc.) This is what I do.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

When you refit to a morph that uses scaling, you have to eliminate the scaling from your process.

So: Load Genesis only. Dial it to V5. Go to transforms and set scale to 100%.

Now export V5. Import to Hexagon or wherever. She is the correct scale to morph your object to. You will also need to do this with S3, S5, V5Supermodel, Mavka, and A3 if you use those morphs. V3, V4, A4, Hitomi, Voluptuous and the Girl 4 are 100% normally and need no scale correction (but Hitomi has that separate breast morph thing to deal with). All the males are bigger than 100% other than Basic, David 3, Hiro 3 and Hiro 4.

It's good to keep a folder of correctly-scaled versions of these morphs for importing to your modeler, or if the modeler can use layers, a file full of all the female morphs (or all the male morphs, all the Universals,etc.) This is what I do.

sickle, thank you so much for posting this! I've been struggling to do a morph for the ever after dress and having a problem when I apply the morph. It was for a3 ...I think this may solve it for me.

Varsel, I love what you have done so far....I will be lurking in the corner with Jaderail. : )

edited December 1969

You're welcome! I had to discover it on my own with my first Genesis product and it caused me some frustration at the time. I'm not saying it's not in the docs somewhere, but if so it's sure easy to miss.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

You're welcome! I had to discover it on my own with my first Genesis product and it caused me some frustration at the time. I'm not saying it's not in the docs somewhere, but if so it's sure easy to miss.
    Well I certainly missed it and it does look like its fixed the problem.

Varsel, sorry to take you thread off on a tangent. Back to lurking...

edited December 1969

Thank's... I will try this on monday. Right now I am at work,(with my tab...) Friday-Saturday-Sunday : work-sleep-work-zzzzz

Pendraia , no problem.. The more the merrier..

edited December 1969

Thank you SickleYield.

That did it. If it is in the documentation it is sure easy to miss. I haven't found it yet...

A V5 morph is now in place for both the dress and the hat.

I have also got some references for the pants now, and are going to start creating those.

edited December 1969

So here are some pants.

Not as wide as they can be, and they can really be wide, but acceptable to use with the Ao Dai.

Creating them was interesting and fun.
    I made the base shape, which actually is just two tubes. (No formfitting tailoring here...)
    Imported them into Carrara, and used the Soft Body modifier on them to get the shape.
    Exported back into Hexagon, did some cleanup (cause the Soft Body Modifier triangulate the polygons) and off to Studio.

As I have understood, they are normally white or black. But they can also be made of shiny silk.

pants1.jpg
    983 x 895 - 100K
    edited December 1969

And a question...

Is there a way to split a morph into two morphs as in Right leg and Left leg ?
    I'm going to create some adjustment and movement morphs, and in Hexagon I can use the symmetry function to create identical morphs for both sides.

Or do I have to do it the hard way and create them separatly ?

edited December 1969

And here is the full dress with all parts.

And now to make adjustment, fitting and movement morphs.

Might try some wrinkles.
    Morphs, or in the texture.

fullDress.jpg
    983 x 895 - 127K
    edited December 1969

I haven't had time to do to much on this, but I've picked it up again.
    Created a second version of the pants. But although it looks better when she is just standing there, it create problems when posing. To use the new one I'll have to learn how to create JCM's.

SickleYield made the Japanese School Uniform, so I got sidetracked, and made this hat. It is based on a Japanese field hat, used in WW2.
    (the emblem is not, that is for something else...)

I have also picked up an European Navy Uniform, and something for a Viking. So far this is a "civilian" Viking.
    For him to go on the rampage, just ad a shield and an ax, and if he was a wealthy viking, some armor...

I am also doing something wrong when I am saving the clothing to the SmartContent.
    The clothing shows up when Genesis is selected in the scene tab, together with everything else for Genesis.
    But when the clothing is selected, everything else for Genesis still shows up, instead of just the presets for the clothing...

pants2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 93K
    new-4.jpg
    800 x 713 - 56K
    new-2.jpg
    800 x 639 - 58K
    Doc3.jpg
    800 x 425 - 112K
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    And a question...

Is there a way to split a morph into two morphs as in Right leg and Left leg ?
    I'm going to create some adjustment and movement morphs, and in Hexagon I can use the symmetry function to create identical morphs for both sides.

Or do I have to do it the hard way and create them separatly ?

Sorry for the late response! I don't think there's a way to do that. If there is I'd certainly like to know - I always have to create JCM etc. separately for each leg.

That's a nice sim on the pants!

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

This looks to be interesting. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

edited December 1969

While I was waiting for the update on CorelDraw, I was working on making fbm morphs for the hat when I discovered an interesting challenge.....

Creating fbm's for the different bodyshapes (like M4,M4,Basic female,45,v4 etc....) is no problem.
    But if you apply a different face shape, or adjustment, they will also morph the hat. And taking into account all the current and future variations, I had to have a look into smartpropping...

With the latest Studio you can now create smartprops, something that wasn't possible before..

I did find out that when applying a different bodyshape, (V5) the hat did scale and move down with the head. But since the V5 head also moves to the front, the hat needed a slight morph adjustment to the front....
    And with the Hex-bridge, adjustment morphs are easy to make....
    (the only stupid thing that I have discovered is that those morphs doesn't work in Carrara)

jhat1.jpg
    800 x 460 - 108K
    edited December 1969

Good progress! I really like his face morph too, where's it from?

I've been discovering with my own latest project with Marieah that I seldom want to have a hat conform unless it's a tight brimless style (or has a short brim, like our earlier fedora). Smartpropping still lets you custom morph it if you want to make the brim shape different, the crown higher, etc., but you also don't get brim distortion on scaled FBMs.