DSON, Genesis content, and Poser

ObscuroArcanumObscuroArcanum Posts: 131
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm not finding anything on the forum specific to my queries.

I have managed to install the DSON into Poser, and Genesis loads up in my Poser scene without any hassles.

I found a thread on the forum that was somewhat helpful, stating that any Genesis products that were bought previously, if they have been updated to work for the DSON, the downloads can be reset and you just get the new product downloads.

I have done that for:

Genesis Creature Creator Bundle
Genesis Evolution: Morph Bundle
Genesis Evolution: Muscularity

But there are only trx files, and nothing associated with the DSON as was mentioned in previous threads I read, to tell the products apart.
And these products are listed on the DSON compatible page.

Any help to clear up this confusion would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited October 2012

Those packs have been updated and those are the right type files. They were updated before they started putting DSON on in the file names.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • ObscuroArcanumObscuroArcanum Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

So, the products that are listed on the DSON category, even though no new files are displayed when I reset the downloads, the files with trx are safe to install?

With all the problems people seem to be having with making this DSON work, I don't want to push my luck and install something that is going to break the whole thing.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Morph packs like those, the Iconic shapes, and the Ethnicity morphs don't have presets -- the dials are there when you load Genesis. Therefore they don't need Poser Companion Files. They work in Poser as is, no update needed.

edited December 1969

Thankyou very much for clarifying that.

And just one more thing; for other products, such as hair, for example, when I reset the downloads, can someone explain to me what the different files are. I read something in a previous thread, but I can't find it now:

DSON Core
    Poser Companion
    Legacy

The DSON Core is pretty clear- they are the ones I have to install in the DSON, but what about the Poser Companion?
    And Legacy, am I right in amusing they are the downloads required for DS4 installations?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, DSON Core for DS 4.5 or Poser
    Poser Companion Files for Poser
    Legacy for DS 4.0

edited December 1969

Thanks very much for clarifying that for me!

• EventMobilEventMobil Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot for clarifying the different file types, man, I was also scared to mess all my Poser folders up somehow. Why don't DAZ people explain this a little in detail somewhere, how can a normal human being guess what is behind those file types??? Up to now I have started all the "Legacy" files as well, and only god knows where these installers have put all the files which obviously I don't need at all... Very annoying. Thanks a million for replacing DAZ3D in helping us...

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited December 1969

Just to clarify this one more time for me with little brain:))

Do I need to install both of these for Genesis products to work in PoserY

DSON Core for DS 4.5 or Poser
    Poser Companion Files for Poser

Or is the Poser Companion the only file that is needed?
    Until now I used both the DSON Core and the Poser Companion to install into my Poser Genesis folder.

And now, that I know that I need the DSON Core files to work in DS 4.5 my DS might even find files lol.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes in Poser you need both the DSON Core file and the Poser Companion file.

edited December 1969

Oh thank God, I thought I done something stupid again:))

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

I would not be hard on yourself-although I think you are kidding here. It IS confusing-and took me awhile to figure out as well.
    A nice diagram showing what goes where would be nice.

PetraR123 said:
    Oh thank God, I thought I done something stupid again:))
  • HarbadixHarbadix Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

I am sure I am doing something wrong also...I have anstalled all the files (and to be honest I think its just pure luck cos I really dont understand fully which files go where) and I got Genesis to load up from my Poser library but OK all the base parameters are there but none of the morph packs and various creatures or M5/V5 etc are showing, I am sure I missed (or messed up) a major step, can anyone point me to a good guide on how to set this thing up properly please?

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

The morphs are ALL located under Body/Actor/ not on the body part- except expressions-which may be found under Head/Actor/

Darkmagi said:
    I am sure I am doing something wrong also...I have anstalled all the files (and to be honest I think its just pure luck cos I really dont understand fully which files go where) and I got Genesis to load up from my Poser library but OK all the base parameters are there but none of the morph packs and various creatures or M5/V5 etc are showing, I am sure I missed (or messed up) a major step, can anyone point me to a good guide on how to set this thing up properly please?
  • mitchmanmitchman Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Yeah... I'm confused too. I thought I had installed everything correctly for Poser Pro 2012 on an iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB running OSX 10.8.2 but all I get when trying to load anything Genisis is:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Users/Shared/Poser Pro 2012 Content/Runtime/libraries/character/DAZ People/Genesis.py", line 1, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter"

What I got was "DSON Importer for Poser - Mac64" and "Genesis Starter Essentials - Poser Companion - Mac" and "DSON Importer for Poser - Genesis Starter Essentials - DSON Core - Mac." I have installed these into both places possible (PP12 has split the Runtime into one for Python in the main Poser app folder and one for Content in a user shared folder).

So, as far as I can tell, none of it works in Poser Pro 2012 on a Mac.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

mitchman said:
    Yeah... I'm confused too. I thought I had installed everything correctly for Poser Pro 2012 on an iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB running OSX 10.8.2 but all I get when trying to load anything Genisis is:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Users/Shared/Poser Pro 2012 Content/Runtime/libraries/character/DAZ People/Genesis.py", line 1, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter"

What I got was "DSON Importer for Poser - Mac64" and "Genesis Starter Essentials - Poser Companion - Mac" and "DSON Importer for Poser - Genesis Starter Essentials - DSON Core - Mac." I have installed these into both places possible (PP12 has split the Runtime into one for Python in the main Poser app folder and one for Content in a user shared folder).

So, as far as I can tell, none of it works in Poser Pro 2012 on a Mac.

Did you update Poser to SR3? It works on my mac. I think that error message says you didn't.

• cntl-shiftcntl-shift Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It sounds to me like you don't have the DSON importer installed in the right place. A year later and I'm still confused on Poser's directories... but I've installed the DSON Importer into /Applications/Poser Pro 2012. I assume this is to enable the plug-ins correctly. All my Genesis content I've loaded into a separate Runtime. It appears the way this works is that the DSON Importer Plugin is called from the Poser Helper file. It then loads the Genesis content dynamically. This is why the morphs don't need a companion file, the plug-in finds them and loads them automatically.

• mitchmanmitchman Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

sschneew said:
    It sounds to me like you don't have the DSON importer installed in the right place. A year later and I'm still confused on Poser's directories... but I've installed the DSON Importer into /Applications/Poser Pro 2012. I assume this is to enable the plug-ins correctly. All my Genesis content I've loaded into a separate Runtime. It appears the way this works is that the DSON Importer Plugin is called from the Poser Helper file. It then loads the Genesis content dynamically. This is why the morphs don't need a companion file, the plug-in finds them and loads them automatically.

I went back and re-installed all 3 updates: SR2, SR3 & SR3.1 - then re-installed the DSON and made a new Runtime for Genesis stuff only. It now seems to work, though slowly. It took me 6 hours of searching, installations and so on to get this done. That is wasted production time. This is becoming quite typical of DAZ and I remain skeptical at best. Now I have to determine if all this was worth it and if the expense of a new category of specialized content is in my budget. We’ll see.

edited December 1969

I agree, Genesis is ok but in my opinion, when I am very honest, I prefer the V4.2 and the separate G4.
    I have such a lot of CDI Morphs to make the cutest characters or the scariest, Morphia is one great example for fab. use of V4.2 and and and...

Yes, it is easier in a way to have Genesis and have all the dials there but it does not take long to Inject , for example , all Morphss of V4.2 , A4, G4,S4,Creature Morphs in to Morphia and save that to your Character Folder.

As long as Genesis slows down my iMac 64 bit that much and all takes so long I do prefer to work with my lovely G4.
    And Kids 4 of course, with the cute CDI Moprhs applied. HEAVEN

• loveitloveit Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

so when install poser companion i need both "DSON Core file and the Poser Companion file"
    and they'll go in to my runtime

edited December 1969

loveit said:
    so when install poser companion i need both "DSON Core file and the Poser Companion file"
    and they'll go in to my runtime

That is how I do it and yes, you need the DSON Core and the Poser Companion file.
    I have an extra * Genesis * Runtime.
    The DSON Importer I installed where my Poser Pro 2012 holds its python scripts, on my Mac it is in my Applications folder.

• loveitloveit Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

id like to do that but how?i have a pc,and where do i find the files to go where thanks

edited December 1969

loveit said:
    id like to do that but how?i have a pc,and where do i find the files to go where thanks

On a PC you run the DSON Importer to where you have your Poser installed * where the phyton scripts are and such *

Then you can make a new Runtime, call it Genesis for example , and install the other files in there and all the DSON products you might purchase for Poser + Genesis in the Future.

You need to download the PC files of Poser Companion PC and DSON Core PC .

Hope that helps.

• NetherworksNetherworks Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

I write Python Scripts for Poser and frankly I cannot get this to work consistently.

I had it working at one point after some fighting but I had to reinstall Windows 7.

I have Poser Pro 2012 installed on a different drive than C:
    All my content is outside of C:\

I installed the DSON importer to my main Poser directory. That seams logical and straight forward to me.

I created a new content directory (Genesis) and pointed to that in Poser. I installed the other two exes to this directory (D:\Content\Genesis)

It all should work, right?

Well, no. The Sub D Dragon loads fine. Genesis loads but has no geometry (in other works is not visible but in the scene).

So I'm baffled as to what kind of witchcraft I must perform to get this to work. I mean it all "seems" simple but obviously it isn't. And yes, I downloaded the correct bits and version of the DSON importer (and well, the dragon is loading).

Any thoughts? Do I need to invest in chicken bones that I need to shake over the computer? :)

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

It looks like you have installed everything correctly.
    There is one thing which you should check: In Scripts!DSON Support!Import Preferences there is a link to a "writable runtime folder" This needs to be a folder to which Poser can write - in other words not in program files. Check if this is correct and pointing to your genesis runtime or another "safe" one. The default should be the default Poser one (users/public/documents/Poser Pro 2012 Content)

In that same tool there is also a log tool. See if that gives any hint of why genesis does not load

edited November 2012

I don't have anything in Program Files, pretty much ever (if I can help it).

Nothing on my D: drive is write protected.

The log seems to show that Genesis is loading. I've tried to different installs but it basically looks like the text below. But, you know, blank Genesis. I'm probably just going to give up because this is already eating up much of my (limited) free time but I DO appreciate the help. I just thought it would be nice to get the DSON content compatible with my scripts and such. Oh well.

deleting objects
    DSON Importer
    Setup
    DSON Write Path: D:/Poser Pro 2012/Runtime/DSON/auto_adapted
    Parsing DSON File...
    File Path: D:/Content/DAZ Studio/Runtime/libraries/Character/DAZ People/Genesis.duf
    Scanning for dynamic assets...
    Writing character file...
    Loading CR2 File
    Applying settings to actors...
    Loaded file: Genesis.duf
    Importer Setup in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    DSON File Read in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    DSON Dynamic Read in 0 min 0.4 sec.
    Poser Native File Created in 0 min 0.9 sec.
    Poser Native File Loaded in 0 min 2.1 sec.
    Applied Settings in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    Total File Load in 0 min 3.7 sec.
    Done
    Post edited by Netherworks on
    edited November 2012

Yes, everything seems absolutely normal - except that it does not find anything of the support files (dynamic assets as DAZ calls it) because it seems to write an empty CR2 file - which is of course invisible.

You could probably trace the route via the duf file (if it is not compressed), but if you installed it correctly these should all be there

But there is something bothering me here: DS uses the "Content" folder as its own main folder - is it possible that the installer for the essentials got confused?

But this will take time to figure out.

Post edited by wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 on
    edited November 2012

It's very weird because it IS dynamically generating an .obj file (which it should be)

geometry followed by numbers and dashes in parenthesis, looks like a registry string then .obj

The .obj IS genesis when it's loaded into UVMapper Pro.

Opened up the generated cr2 and it points to the .obj correctly to.

I do have two genesis.cr2's though. Hrm.

Post edited by Netherworks on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,203
    edited December 1969

It may be from different attempts, but in your description you save you have the content in

D:\Content\Genesis

but the log file reads

File Path: D:/Content/DAZ Studio/Runtime/libraries/Character/DAZ People/Genesis.duf

edited December 1969

Yeah, but I've tried different locations by uninstalling, reinstalling.

edited December 1969

What does the cr2 file say in the main poser runtime:DSON:autoadapted:content files - it is in one of its subfolders (randomly generated, so I can't give you the name)

I missed that different content folder - the way it is now, it won't work