Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    jakiblue said:

I agree wiht Novica. Don't not buy somethign cos you're pissed at that - DAZ always fixes their stuff ups. It probably won't show till the morning (my morning) when they get to the office, which is why i'm waiting before pulling the trigger on teh PC stuff today till I get up in the morning. 

I want to, but I need to have everything in the cart at once. I really hope they straighten this out soon - I don't want to miss the fast grab items I want on top of missing the free bundle. lol Seams like a mean joke. This is the first time in weeks that they have something in fast grab that I want. Ah well, I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I was finally able to put in a bug report on the missing fantasy hovel items.  Will let you know what happens.

They are usually really good about fixing stuff and making it right like everyone has said.  I totally forgot to put one of the free dragons in my cart - I submitted a ticke and it was in my runtime in less than 24 hours.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited October 2016
    Novica said:

So anyone who buys it and wants to share their renders, feel free- and you can give it the review it deserves.

I just did my first test with LineRender9000 using an existing scene I already had. I followed the Quick Start part of the User Guide:

1. Open or create a scene.
    2. Load one of the LR9k Settings presets from My Library\Scripts\LineRender9000\Settings presets.
    3. Select a camera of your choice in the Viewport and orient the camera so it’s pointing at your scene.
    4. Launch LR9K AUTORENDER render script from My Library\Scripts\LineRender9000\LR9k AutoRender.
    5. Click 'Render!"

For step 2,  I chose the LR9K Color toon preset.

For step 3, I already had a default camera positioned. I selected the default camera in the scene tab, typed ctrl+c, then selected each of the LR9K cameras and typed ctrl+v. Not sure you have to reposition all the cameras or just the composite camera.

For step 4, I made no changes. Simply started the script, then clicked the render button at the bottom of the script window.

While the script is running, you will not see a render window pop up. If you go to the folder where your renders are saved, you will see intermediate renders appear as they are made. The script saved 6 intermediate renders to my render folder. At the end, a render window did pop up with the final composite image. You then have to save that to your render folder (as you would normally do for any render).

Here is the original scene as an Iray render: 

Here is the LR9K composite scene. If I'm reading the script window correctly, I think this was all 3DL. You can do the color portion in Iray - I'll have to see what's needed to do that. (Note: LR9K outputs .tif files; Daz Forum will not upload those, so you'll have to convert to a .jpg to post.)

The User Guide is 26 pages long, so this is just the tip of the iceberg. 

Ivan 7 with sun glasses.jpg
    732 x 791 - 293K
    test composite.jpg
    805 x 756 - 102K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

And Rich-  try piddling with the line width over in the Render Settings- you can get more "dainty" details if you want, by using thinner lines. There's also the Threshold setting which tells the program when to realize there's a difference in the areas. Those settings are next to each other. 

edited October 2016

My next test of LineRender 9000.

I tried the LR9K Black & White preset and got a colored composite identical to what the Color toon preset produced. Not sure why that happened, as it shouldn't, but I haven't tracked down the problem.

In the meantime, I tried just using the Toon 2-tone camera. This makes a black & white render. To use:

1. Load the 2-tone camera from smart content or the content library
    2. Position the camera to give the view you want
    3. Select the camera for the render
    4. In Render Settings, select Scripted 3Delight
    5. If not already chosen, choose LineRender9000 as Render Script
    6. Render

The 2-tone camera has a Grayscale Threshold setting. Default is 104. For the scene I used, that worked well. I could go as high as 169; after that,the render was almost all black. I could go as low as 91; after that, the render was almost all white. There were small differences between 91-104-and 169 but did not change my perception of the output much.

You can also change the output colors, either to gray values or colors. This image used a yellow for light and a blue for dark.

test two bw 104.jpg
    661 x 826 - 92K
    test two tone yb.jpg
    661 x 826 - 162K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    Novica said:

And Rich-  try piddling with the line width over in the Render Settings- you can get more "dainty" details if you want, by using thinner lines. There's also the Threshold setting which tells the program when to realize there's a difference in the areas. Those settings are next to each other. 

I'll give that a try next

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562
    Novica said:

Chiyo For Victoria 7   Going to do the adult as more close-up.

Wearing Anjou Hair.  Is the child adorable!

This has got to be one of the best child renders I've seen from DS. Looks very natural to me - outstanding!

- Greg

edited October 2016

Thank you Greg! It's all Growing Up, no tweaking on the morphs, then Apocalyptic light set with several point lights.

I have a question- there's a V4 character over at Rendo that has great brows- SO natural. But it says for Poser 7+, Poser Pro, Game Development. Can I use her in Daz Studio? I'm wonderfing if I can even transfer the V4 to Gen 2 (the materials) then apply an Iray converter, etc. These brows are so awesome- and would be stunning for kids. But Poser- I haven't a clue if I can use them. Help! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

Yes you can use most V4/M4 skins for poser in DAZ. The materials will require tweaking usually.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Novica said:

Thank you Greg! It's all Growing Up, no tweaking on the morphs, then Apocalyptic light set with several point lights.

I have a question- there's a V4 character over at Rendo that has great brows- SO natural. But it says for Poser 7+, Poser Pro, Game Development. Can I use her in Daz Studio? I'm wonderfing if I can even transfer the V4 to Gen 2 (the materials) then apply an Iray converter, etc. These brows are so awesome- and would be stunning for kids. But Poser- I haven't a clue if I can use them. Help! 

http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    Kerya said:
    Novica said:

http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female

That is a FANTASTIC product! :D I really love being able to use V4 textures on G2F. That product also lets you use V4 clothing and shoes on G2F. I can't recommend it enough! :)

Sorry Kerya, I wasn't quite clear. I have done the V4>Genesis 2 (and showcased it) but was wondering if I could do a POSER skin with that. Thanks for the help though!!

I do have another question- I am using a Genesis 2 character, and there's Beautiful Skin Iray. My character is using the Base Female UV, so I selected that in the list, so far so good. The two choices I don't understand the difference for are:  1. Base Female Beautiful Skin Base.duf   OR  2. Base Female Beautiful Skin Normals.duf

Am I supposed to use 1. then 2. or just select one of them? I did #1 and the skin is fine, just wondering what the heck is the normals?

This product is found in Content Library>Daz Studio Formats>Daz>People>Genesis 2 Female>Materials>Beautiful Skin Iray    if that will help you find it faster to check out what I'm referring to.

edited October 2016

Well, here's the 1. and then the 2.  applied separately (#1 by itself, then removed, then #2 which is the normals.)  The normals has the sparkle in the eye, lighter skin, different lips.  This is P3D Sandra sold over at Rendo. Love the eyebrows! I'm doing a Growing Up on her, will show you.

SandraRendo.jpg
    612 x 817 - 201K
    SandraRendoNormals.jpg
    609 x 816 - 206K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Alrighty then! Everyone go buy the new Lilith 7 and then start rendering and reviewing her here so I can decide if I want to buy her *grin*

J/k of course - i have to say tho, I base a LOT Of my purchasing decisions on what i see here. 

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

I have no interest in Lilith, but there's a cat in the picture of the maxi dress, is that the millenium cat or something else?

http://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/0/00-daz3d_the-maxi-dress-for-genesis-3-female_s_.jpg

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

I'm probably going to skip the pro bundle. Only the Hair in It is a must have. The Pro Character (Agnes) is not very appealing to me (still technical pretty good) and the addional clothing sets are nice but nothing I really need to buy.

So iw ill probably Buy the Starter Bundle + Bonny Hair.

The Shilon Character is great and the Clothing Sets in the Starter Bundle have mor unviversal use (at leat for me...)

edited November 2016

Oh my. I did the aging product on P3D Sandra, (RENDO)  there's different face weights and it was...interesting. Poor Sandra!  This is using the Normals from the Iray product. But wait until you see Sandra as a sad little girl. Rendering now.

One question- how do we address the long fingernails? Kids don't have manicured, long fingernails. I don't recall a product that can cut fingernails. I know I can do geometry and then opague them out, or possibly a D-former, just wondering if there's a handy product. If not, a vendor should make one! 

SandraRendoNormalsAGED.jpg
    900 x 900 - 252K
    SandraRendoNormalsAGED2.jpg
    900 x 900 - 250K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I have no interest in Lilith, but there's a cat in the picture of the maxi dress, is that the millenium cat or something else?

http://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/0/00-daz3d_the-maxi-dress-for-genesis-3-female_s_.jpg

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/millennium-cat-bundle

If you have a character with long fingernails, if you highlight the "currently used" in the parameters/shaping tab, you may be able to find the fingernail morph that is being used and turn it down perhaps? 

Novica said:

Oh my. I did the aging product on Sandra,  there's different face weights and it was...interesting. Poor Sandra!  This is using the Normals from the Iray product. But wait until you see Sandra as a sad little girl. Rendering now.

One question- how do we address the long fingernails? Kids don't have manicured, long fingernails. I don't recall a product that can cut fingernails. I know I can do geometry and then opague them out, or possibly a D-former, just wondering if there's a handy product. If not, a vendor should make one! 

edited October 2016

Below, P3D Sandra as a 5-6 year old (with Birthday Girl Hair.) 

Sitting out on Lilith as I don't need any more females. Most of the Genesis 2 hair works fine on Genesis 3 and I have hair from here and Rendo, so more than I can use. The outfits in the bundles I don't need at all. And my rule of thumb starting a couple months ago has been if the promos of females don't show a good smile, where the lips pull naturally against the skin of the face, I won't even consider the character.  Shiloh doesn't have any good smiling promos- and the edges of the lips may really pull when she does. Anyone who gets her, please put her in a big smile so we can see. My test is to use Expressions (in Parameters, under the Posing) and the Smile Full Face is .60, and the next one down is Smile Open Full Face and that's .90  I will do a few "test smiles" Genesis 2 characters and possibly Genesis 3, and that will help you see the flexibility or lack thereof with some randomly selected gals.

So anyone who grabs Lilith and the hair / outfits, please post so others can see. I'd like to see Shiloh with a big smile, to see how the lips do. (I'm not buying any more females regardless, I got the ones I wanted in the sale, and showed them to you.) 

I  made the decision to pick up sets as I did have the orange banner with that additional discount on the artists' stores,  so won't be doing much shopping the rest of the month. Also, it's hurricane month for Florida (ironic, I know, that I'm saying that with the Category 3/4 hurricane barreling in on the other coast.)  so I want to have emergency money (if I have to move the horse.)  It's interesting that October is that month for Florida, although the season peaks Sept 11th it's not the peak for us. We're October.

SandraRendoNormalsKID.jpg
    900 x 900 - 586K
    SandraRendoNormalsKID2.jpg
    900 x 900 - 586K
    Post edited by Novica on
    jakiblue said:

Alrighty then! Everyone go buy the new Lilith 7 and then start rendering and reviewing her here so I can decide if I want to buy her *grin*

J/k of course - i have to say tho, I base a LOT Of my purchasing decisions on what i see here. 

Um, well, considering you are a BIG HELP..... wink  I've got to say you've made me spend money too lol! 

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

Anyone bought "ElastiFace Expressions for Star2" and can test how they work on G3F or other figures.

I like the expressions but dont use Star2

Sorry, I don't have that one. 

Wow, Hurricane Matthew did indeed go back up to a Category 4. Winds 140 mph right now, sliding by Miami (thank goodness they aren't getting another Andrew-type direct hit.) My sister is in Jacksonville (and nieces, nephes, great-nephews.)  Going to be catastrophic from mid-Florida up. Any Daz folks on the East Coast?

• I'm down here in hurricane alley sort of.  Miami seems to be getting the worst of it right now.  It hasn't been that bad where I am yet.  The time between rain and sun as everything swirls around the center is getting shorter now, though.  They are predicting the worst around 8 pm for my area at the moment, but, of course, that could change.

edited October 2016

Ever thought of contacting support and asking them if they will give you the deals you're gonna miss the next few days when/if the storm knocks you out of power? That gives me an idea- there should be a thread with screenshots showing the Fast Grab, new releases, and deals. (not the Mega Fast Grab, too much stuff.)  That way the folks in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina can be taken care of. People may be out of power for WEEKS. We were 15 days with Ivan, and 12 with Dennis, IIRC. That's a lot of days to be out of the store (I know there's other priorities, been there, done that with two Category 3's in 9 months!) but it's nice to keep some sense of normalcy. Edit: I just asked Support if Admin would consider letting me do screenshots/a separate thread of the new releases, deals associated with those, and Fast Grab so people from the affected areas could shop and get those deals. 

Post edited by Novica on

I've always wished that we were able to "gift" products to other members, like you can do on rendo, where you can actually purchase a specific product for someone, instead of just sending a gift certificate. I've had a couple of friends where, when we knew we were going to be offline for a certain reason, it would have been great to say "hey if [insert product] goes on sale can you purchase it for me and i'll send you a gift cert for the price when i am back" - or something like that.  

Novica said:

Ever thought of contacting support and asking them if they will give you the deals you're gonna miss the next few days when/if the storm knocks you out of power? That gives me an idea- there should be a thread with screenshots showing the Fast Grab, new releases, and deals. (not the Mega Fast Grab, too much stuff.)  That way the folks in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina can be taken care of. People may be out of power for WEEKS. We were 15 days with Ivan, and 12 with Dennis, IIRC. That's a lot of days to be out of the store (I know there's other priorities, been there, done that with two Category 3's in 9 months!) but it's nice to keep some sense of normalcy. Edit: I just asked Support if Admin would consider letting me do screenshots/a separate thread of the new releases, deals associated with those, and Fast Grab so people from the affected areas could shop and get those deals. 

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

It's the middle of the night here, and I've just woken after the strangest dream. It was about these artists who had been sort of blocking square tunnels with '3D works' of some kind, about an inch thick and the width and depth of the tunnel, placing them at intervals along the tunnel length (I can't properly explain or describe this, but it made perfect sense in the dream!). It was working well for everyone except one artist, who had disappeared and had much of her work destroyed because she'd chosen an out-of-the-way tunnel that was being used for other reasons by a Bad Guy. She didn't know this, but as a 'viewer' watching all this like a movie, I did. Hence the warning yells when 'Novica' came along to 'review' the work, saying 'It's very quiet here. I wonder what's further down this tunnel...'. And hence the panicked 'WTF' yells from husband as dream life and real life intruded on each other. I think my subconscious may be trying to tell me that I'm spending far too much time in this place :)

edited November 2016

As long as in the dream I'm a drop-dead gorgeous, voluptuous 36-25-26 (edit 36 on that last one!) with a flawless complexion, big blue eyes rimmed with natural ultra-long eyelashes, adorable dimples,  and sun-bathed blonde hair,  I can review from tunnels anytime! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    Novica said:

As long as in the dream I'm a drop-dead gorgeous, voluptuous 36-25-26 with a flawless complexion, big blue eyes rimmed with natural ultra-long eyelashes, adorable dimples,  and sun-bathed blonde hair,  I can review from tunnels anytime! 

I'm assuming that last dimension is a typo. devil

LOL. Yeah, that's a bit skinny. Size -20 jeans. (Actually, I'll just say I did it on purpose to see if anyone was really reading the thread. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) 

DId anyone buy Lilith? How are you liking / not liking her?  I don't need more females unless they have brows that are thicker, natural. I have more than enough women with thinner/ brow liner. My Genesis 2 gals have the variety I need in body types, along with the Genesis 3. Uma comes to mind for a muscular type. (Connect only.)

This discussion has been closed.