General Freebie Requests

Comments

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Install Hexagon (the free thingie that you can get from DAZ).

Open .3ds file (NOT scene file, object file) in Hexagon.

Select object.

Send to DAZ Studio via File menu option.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited November 2012

joea64 said:
    Dollygirl said:
    joea64 said:
    in fact, this thread at Turbosquid, http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Index.cfm/stgAct/PostList/intThreadID/27102, even though it's over 4 years old now and of course refers to older versions of both Poser and Daz, explicitly says that .3ds files can't be used in Daz.)

Directly...no they aren't.

Indirectly...yeah. The Hexagon to DS, by the bridge is one of the easiest.

Another is the free Propviewer. It can export a PP2 or OBJ...from several import formats.
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/47408/View/11/Poser/PropViewer-3.2

Or go the Blender route (Blender can import something like a bazillion formats and export nearly the same...)
    http://www.blender.org

What ARE impossible to transfer, without having the original software are .max and .c4d files (3dsMax and Cinema4D).

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

Select object.

Or download and install Poseray
    https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/

Import the file and save out as an object file.

My favorite way is, however, to use Carrara but it is not free. Hexagon to me is a hurdle that I need more time to learn.

You can also import the .3ds file into Bryce which is free and then send it over to DAZ that way.

I find that some models will not be complete when you use these methods to create objs. Studio Max has a short cut instruction when dealing with symmetry and the instructions don't get initiated because of this. You may have to recreate these parts to put the model back together.
    I guess what I am saying is the methods listed work most of the time but not all of the time. Poser may be more intelligent but I don't know for sure.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Skiriki said:

Select object.

My favorite way is, however, to use Carrara but it is not free. Hexagon to me is a hurdle that I need more time to learn.

You can also import the .3ds file into Bryce which is free and then send it over to DAZ that way.

I find that some models will not be complete when you use these methods to create objs. Studio Max has a short cut instruction when dealing with symmetry and the instructions don't get initiated because of this. You may have to recreate these parts to put the model back together.
    I guess what I am saying is the methods listed work most of the time but not all of the time. Poser may be more intelligent but I don't know for sure.

I've found that often, if the model doesn't appear correctly in one of the above, then trying another one may solve the problem...

• joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
    edited November 2012

mjc1016 said:
    Dollygirl said:
    Skiriki said:

Select object.

I've found that often, if the model doesn't appear correctly in one of the above, then trying another one may solve the problem...

OK, so there are no fewer than four freeware programs, counting Hexagon, that I can experiment with to convert .3ds files to .obj files.

1) Which one should I try first? I believe I already have Hexagon, downloaded last month when I got the Daz package, though I haven't installed it to date, and the other three should be easy to find and install.

2) Once I successfully convert a .3ds file to .obj, which directory in /Daz3D Studio/My Library/Runtime (I'm assuming it should go into the Runtime directory) does it go into? /Geometries, /Libraries/Character, or /Libraries/Props, or some other place? And does a separate folder have to be made for the new files, or for each individual .3ds file converted this way? (I assume that Hexagon will be the easiest in this regard if it puts the .obj file in the correct place automatically upon export.)

Post edited by joea64_bdfaa5ca94 on
    edited December 1969

Save the obj where ever is good for you, and where you find it with ease.

edited December 1969

And how will I tell the difference between the actual object and the scene in a .3ds file? (I think you can see I've never worked with that format before.)

edited December 1969

They will end .max rather than .3ds, as a rule of thumb.

edited December 1969

You mean the scene files are the .max files, and the object files are the .3ds files?

edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    You mean the scene files are the .max files, and the object files are the .3ds files?

Yup, like that.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited November 2012

joea64 said:

1) Which one should I try first? I believe I already have Hexagon, downloaded last month when I got the Daz package, though I haven't installed it to date, and the other three should be easy to find and install.

2) Once I successfully convert a .3ds file to .obj, which directory in /Daz3D Studio/My Library/Runtime (I'm assuming it should go into the Runtime directory) does it go into? /Geometries, /Libraries/Character, or /Libraries/Props, or some other place? And does a separate folder have to be made for the new files, or for each individual .3ds file converted this way? (I assume that Hexagon will be the easiest in this regard if it puts the .obj file in the correct place automatically upon export.)

If you use Hexagon (and sometimes it has trouble with a particular 3ds file and you'll need to try one of the others, as mentioned) you don't need to save an obj and then import the obj into DS.

Because there is the DAZ Studio Hexagon Bridge, after importing the .3ds file into Hexagon you only have to click the 'Send to DAZ Studio' button in the Utilities tab (or click the Send to DAZ Studio in the File Menu), and Hexagon will simply send the object(s) straight to DS, opening DS for you if it's not running. Once the object(s) appear in DS, you can just then save them as props or figures in native DS format in your DS library in the content pane without ever having bothered going through obj/mtl format.

(If you don't know, when saving something out as an obj, there is usually a .mtl file created alongside the .obj file. This is because the .obj file format doesn't contain materials details - that is the colour of surfaces, whether they have textures applied and if so what texture file, transparency, bump maps etc. So when converting a prop or figure to obj, the .obj contains the mesh, mesh groups and surface definitions, but the materials settings go into a .mtl file created with the same name alongside the .obj they apply to. Programs like DS, Poser, Hexagon, Poseray etc will read the accompanying ,mtl file when you import an .obj.)

Post edited by DavidGB on
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited November 2012

I tried Poseray and Hexagon and I found Hexagon working out better for me.
    Only trouble I have with both is that often it doesn't export the texture.
    So when I load a book and export it as an .obj and then open it in Daz, I see just the base and the texture seems to went lost somehow ><<br /> And the bridge doesn't seem to do anything, even when I selected the item.
    Do I need to activate it somehow?
    Oh well, a lot of learning to do still ^^

Post edited by Sylvan on
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    So when I load a book and export it as an .obj and then open it in Daz, I see just the base and the texture seems to went lost somehow ><<br /> And the bridge doesn't seem to do anything, even when I selected the item.

Can you at least edit the colors of the item in the editor pane?

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited November 2012

Estroyer said:

First thing:

If you use Hexagon and just send to DS instaad of exporting as obj, textures etc should still be applied as they were in Hexagon.

If you export as .obj from Hexagon, Poseray etc, though:

2nd thing:

Make sure you. when you export as .obj, to select the export options to export the materials as a .mtl material file (should save alongside the .obj file with the same name but a .mtl file extension). And when you import the obj into DS (or Poser come to that), make sutre you select the obj import option to read the materials .mtl file.

3rd thing:

DS and Poser require any filepaths that conatin spaces to be in inverted commas. Otherwise they won't read the file. The assorted .obj exporters mostly do NOT put inverted commas round the filepaths.

e.g. You export an .obj so it is saved as C:\Users\David\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\Converted 3DS Stuff\something.obj (and will find a something.mtl file alongside it - if you don't, then DS can't read the materials anyway.) And lets say the original.3ds file is also in that directory, with the textures in a folder there just called textures. You then import the .obj into DS and the textures don't apply.

If you load the something.mtl file into a text editor and look for the texture references (obvious even if you don't otherwise understand what's in the file), you will find file references like:

C:\Users\David\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\Converted 3DS Stuff\textures\somethingtex1.jpg

And DS won't find it because there's a space between DAZ 3D, and two spaces between 'Converted 3D Stuff', but the filepath isn't in inverted commas. If you add the inverted commas round any texture paths that contain spaces, THEN DS will find the textures. So in this example you would make that path:

"C:\Users\David\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\Converted 3DS Stuff\textures\somethingtex1.jpg"

THEN DS will find it.

So to recap, use the DS Hexagon bridge from Hexagon without going via .obj, and you don't have to worry about this. Otherwise 1) check the textures were loaded in Hexagon, Poseray or whatever, 2) check there's a .mtl file alongside the exported .obj, if not export again this time checking the export option to produce a .mtl file, 3) if there's a .mtl file, load it into a text editor and see if there are filepaths of textures, if there are and there are spaces in them, add the double quote at the beginning and end of each texture (search and replace in a good text editor is your friend - in a .mtl file with thirty texture references, just doing a search on C:, replace "C: , replace all; and a search on .jpg, replace .jpg", replace all is a lot quicker than ammending each texture reference one at a time0.

Post edited by DavidGB on
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited December 1969

Hmm, not sure if you mean in Daz or Hexa?
    But I can edit the colors in Daz.
    When I try to do that in Hexa, it crashes...

edited December 1969

Just downloaded and installed Hexagon (for anyone else considering, it's a small download, less than 80MB) so I'll give the procedure a whirl once I get some of those free .3ds files.

• Chelle the CatChelle the Cat Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know where I might find a vest/coat that looks similar to the one Rinoa wears in FF8 for V4/A4?
    Aiming for something like this: http://venturecosplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/rinoa_2.jpg

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know where I might find a vest/coat that looks similar to the one Rinoa wears in FF8 for V4/A4?
    Aiming for something like this: http://venturecosplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/rinoa_2.jpg

I looked through my stuff and could not find anything. I did however think that you could use SickleYield's trench coat if you have that. I looked through Rendo and ShareCG but I could not find the model. Anyway if you are in DAZ4.5 then you could remap the coat to look like the vest. Sorry that is not much help.but I just hate when a question does not get some kind of answer.

• fleetppfleetpp Posts: 199
    edited November 2012

Looking for a free or low cost fairy outfit for Victoria 3, something similar to the fairylicious outfit.
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/fairylicious-v4

Post edited by fleetpp on
  • Jade ChengJade Cheng Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

Does anyone know of a free set of "professional" speakers with a bracket for wall mounting? I need it for a theater scene...

Example: http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemImages/Large/74651.jpg

Also, how about a set of adjustable (through morphs) spotlights (actual models that I can place a DAZ light inside), with brackets for a ceiling or wall?

Thx! :lol:

Post edited by Jade Cheng on
    edited November 2012

Anyone know where Chris Cox's Rococo Dress, which used to be available in this forum before the big changeover, might be available? The links I've found in ShareCG and elsewhere to the old Freepozitory thread where it could be had are, of course, no longer working.

EDIT: Disregard, just did another google and found it in the Forum Archive.

Post edited by joea64_bdfaa5ca94 on
  • robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know of a free set of "professional" speakers with a bracket for wall mounting? I need it for a theatre scene...

Also, how about a set of adjustable (through morphs) spotlights (actual models that I can place a DAZ light inside), with brackets for a ceiling or wall?

Can't help with the speakers, but you can get some spotlights here: http://www.mediafire.com/?2g542e8vq1jrua7

edited December 1969

Does anyone know of a free set of "professional" speakers with a bracket for wall mounting? I need it for a theatre scene...

I should have this in a day or so..

speaker.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 70K
    edited December 1969

"robkelk", thx for replying but the file you gave me for the lights only contains a metal stand for ATTACHING lights, not the lights themselves. Download the file and you'll get what I mean...

I'm waiting anxiously for the speakers... you actually don't need textures since I can make my own in Photoshop. Also, is your stuff licensed for commercial use or just for personal use?

Thanks everyone! :D

edited November 2012

"robkelk", thx for replying but the file you gave me for the lights only contains a metal stand for ATTACHING lights, not the lights themselves. Download the file and you'll get what I mean...

I'm waiting anxiously for the speakers... you actually don't need textures since I can make my own in Photoshop. Also, is your stuff licensed for commercial use or just for personal use?

Yes, they are usable for commercial renders...

Basically they are done, I just need to rig the movement on the mounting bracket, which I should be able to get done tonight. The box is UV mapped, but the speaker isn't, (won't take much time to map it...) and the color in the render is the 'base' color. All I was going to do was add a simple noise map to the displacement channel to add a little 'texture' to the box.

Which would you prefer Poser PP2 or DS .duf format?

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Oops... Sorry about that. I'll update my list of freebies.
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Basically they are done, I just need to rig the movement on the mounting bracket, which I should be able to get done tonight. The box is UV mapped, but the speaker isn't, (won't take much time to map it...) and the color in the render is the 'base' color. All I was going to do was add a simple noise map to the displacement channel to add a little 'texture' to the box.

DAZ format please.

Thanks for doing custom work for me... I never expected it! If you don't mind, I'll texture it and post it here for everyone to enjoy and use.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

DAZ format please.

Thanks for doing custom work for me... I never expected it! If you don't mind, I'll texture it and post it here for everyone to enjoy and use.Do both formats, that way, those of us still using Daz 4.0 can use them too.

• Chelle the CatChelle the Cat Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

I looked through my stuff and could not find anything. I did however think that you could use SickleYield's trench coat if you have that. I looked through Rendo and ShareCG but I could not find the model. Anyway if you are in DAZ4.5 then you could remap the coat to look like the vest. Sorry that is not much help.but I just hate when a question does not get some kind of answer.

Thanks for the response. I did give the coat a shot as you suggested, didn't quite have the look I was hoping for.
    Got a PM suggestion to try the MFD which if I can figure out how to get a transmat to work for it, just might do the trick.

This discussion has been closed.