Light Master by Dreamlight

IndigoneIndigone Posts: 86
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Is it really supposed to be $1,116? I was sort of interested, and followed the link to his website where it is listed as $47. The product here says you need to buy it at DAZ to get the $270 in bonus items. That doesn't add up at all.

P.S. Negotiating these forums is like swimming underwater with your eyes closed. I doubt I'll ever find my way back here to see the response, but please, do respond :)

Here is a link to the product:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/light-master-3d-lighting-made-easy-for-any-software

(probably not really a link...)

Comments

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It's a complete training session, which is the reason for this high price. Since it's listed under the $1.99 items, it's probably a Platinum Club-priced item, and since the store has revoked all discounts etc. for the time being to fix the store, it'll probably revert to $1.99 when they're done.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Well you could take the $47 dollar training and then put http://www.daz3d.com/shop/its-all-about-light-31-in-1-pack on your wishlist as I think that bundle has most of the lightset products. Of course you need to purchase the products that go with the lights unless you already have them. I joined his email list and you get ALOT of emails.... but there are some great bargains on models training and lights... he is very talented.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I bought the course for $47... I consider it money well spent!

• IndigoneIndigone Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the good input folks!

I believe that if you buy Light Master from Daz, you get the $47 Light Master from Dreamlight along with the bonuses from Daz. So my question still remains.... is $1,116 the correct price?

I'm guessing from responses that it is not, but no one really knows?

I joined Dreamlight for 3 months once, and I must say, I didn't find it terribly helpful. I enjoyed the downloads and all, but the forums were completely abandoned for that period of time. There was one thread that someone got going, but there was hardly any responses and help going on. I do agree he's very talented, though.

Anyway, I'm not going to buy the $47 from Dream Light until I know what the true deal is here. I was hoping for a response from Daz or Dreamlight.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I'd join his mailing list . He recently had the light master for $24. My friend said that there are quite regular sales.

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited June 2012

$1116 sounds like a mistake to me. Even if it is correct, you can wait for the training to go on special at his own Dreamlight site and get it MUCH cheaper than $1116. Sign up for the Dreamlight newsletter to keep up with when sales occur.

https://www.dream-lounge.com/dreamlight/home.htm

It's the blue box at the top of the page.

edit to say I got the training for 20 something dollars. I downloaded all the files for the Light Master training as well as the free training available to members. It was worth the price and more, but still not $1116.

Post edited by booksbydavid on
  • 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited June 2012

[Double post removed]

Post edited by 3DProclivity on
    edited June 2012

$1116 sounds like a mistake to me. Even if it is correct, you can wait for the training to go on special at his own Dreamlight site and get it MUCH cheaper than $1116. Sign up for the Dreamlight newsletter to keep up with when sales occur.

https://www.dream-lounge.com/dreamlight/home.htm

It's the blue box at the top of the page.

edit to say I got the training for 20 something dollars. I downloaded all the files for the Light Master training as well as the free training available to members. It was worth the price and more, but still not $1116.

No offense but I wouldn't pay $1116 for him to deliver the material personally. lol

What can I say? I'm cheap. But I did pay the $47 for the modeling course.

edited December 1969

Out of curiosity... how was that modelling course?

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Out of curiosity... how was that modelling course?

The beginning is a bit too slow and repetitive for me but I am not new to modeling or selling products at DAZ. Nevertheless I am watching every video and it is getting better as he moves into the actual modeling, which does not start until module 4 (of the 9 completed).

When I get a little further along I can give a more detailed assessment and talk about the value I got versus the price I paid. :)

edited December 1969

That would be appreciated. I was thinking about it. What software is he using?

edited June 2012

wancow said:
    That would be appreciated. I was thinking about it. What software is he using?

Lightwave 9.6 (64 bit)...he likes that the GUI is clean, focused on modeling, and has text labels rather than icons.

edited December 1969

Gotcha! It's the same reason I love D|S over Poser. The interface is CLEAN! (Rhino, my favourite modeller is the same way). He doesn't do Hexagon at all then?

edited June 2012

wancow said:
    Gotcha! It's the same reason I love D|S over Poser. The interface is CLEAN! (Rhino, my favourite modeller is the same way). He doesn't do Hexagon at all then?

Actually, he does cover some aspects of hexagon and recommends it to people starting out. Again he likes its clean GUI and the fact it is just a modeling.environment. He also touches on Carrara, Wings 3D and Blender, but the GUI of the latter gives him a headache, all that clutter. (That is not the first time I have heard that about Blender!) To be fair, he does not bash any software or tell people not to use it. He just says why he doesn't like it or why he doesn't recommend it for beginners. That said, he still encourages people to use what works for them. I find that approach reasonable. Can't really expect him to do a tutorial for every modeling program his customers use.

Personally, I wish he were using Modo. ;) Regardless, most of what he talks about can easily be applied to other programs, so I don't think the fact that he uses Lightwave is really a hindrance. If one is not familiar with any of the content modellers though, one would need a software-specific book or video to learn the interface (at the least) to benefit from the DL course.

More later.

edited December 1969

Blender, but the GUI of the latter gives him a headache, all that clutter. (That is not the first time I have heard that about Blender!)

More later.

You might have heard me screaming about that from the mountaintops! :) I can't stand Blender's UI.
    edited June 2012

wancow said:
    Blender, but the GUI of the latter gives him a headache, all that clutter. (That is not the first time I have heard that about Blender!)

More later.

You might have heard me screaming about that from the mountaintops! :) I can't stand Blender's UI.

Yeah, haven't met too many people who say they like the interface, just that they love what they can do with the program once they "get used to the GUI."

edited December 1969

Hey y'all, I'm hoping to hear word on the product Light Master. Could you please start a new thread on your modeling conversation?

Fanks.

edited June 2012

Indigone said:
    Hey y'all, I'm hoping to hear word on the product Light Master. Could you please start a new thread on your modeling conversation?

Fanks.

I don't really have anymore to say atm about the modeling course. As for your question, you have received some pretty good advice but not an exact answer to your inquiry. if you are in the US, just call DAZ's 800 number tomorrow and ask them on the phone if the price is right. Otherwise you could wait in these forums a very long time for accurate feedback. Not sure how hard or easy this thread is to find or if the right person will stumble in here to converse with you. I bumped into the topic by accident.

If you aren't in the US, let me know and I'll call for you.

edited December 1969

Indigone said:

Fanks.

I don't really have anymore to say atm about the modeling course. As for your question, you have received some pretty good advice but not an exact answer to your inquiry. if you are in the US, just call DAZ's 800 number tomorrow and ask them on the phone if the price is right. Otherwise you could wait in these forums a very long time for accurate feedback. Not sure how hard or easy this thread is to find or if the right person will stumble in here to converse with you. I bumped into the topic by accident.

Thanks so much. I know I've received (and used!) all the good feedback. I'll call tomorrow, I am in the U.S.

edited June 2012

Indigone said:
    Indigone said:

Fanks.

Thanks so much. I know I've received (and used!) all the good feedback. I'll call tomorrow, I am in the U.S.

Excellent.
    BTW, for what it is worth, if you want to sample the DL tutorials and get some firsthand information about whether they are right for you or not, DL has a $2 one-week trial on LightMaster at his website right now. (Got an email notice about it today and paid the $2..) You can watch/download the welcome video, the first module videos, and several others (including one of the live training sessions that was recorded). Not the whole course but it will help you make an informed decision together with the pricing info you get tomorrow.

edited July 2012

Yet another new product
    3D Pin-up Master (NSFW image at the top of the screen)
    Link removed by a mod
    $37 for a limited time but this includes the $47 Light Master training. Good deal for anyone wanting to take the $47 course.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

Please remember that a warning isn't enough - links to pages with nudity, that don't have a filter requiring registration to see the image, are not permitted.

• nysalor_7ad75f2450nysalor_7ad75f2450 Posts: 28
    edited July 2012

Quality of product from Dreamaster seemed to crumble around twelve months ago. I was a big fan of the early course products and downloads, but then things went very quiet - as mentioned above. The last lighting course I purchased consisted in the early stages of virtual backboard scrawling - I never completed the 'lectures' and gave up on Dreamlight, especially when the mailing list began to be used for non-3D product spam.

In short, my experience is that the product quality can vary from excellent to abysmal. Caveat Emptor.

Post edited by nysalor_7ad75f2450 on
    edited July 2012

Nysalor said:
    Quality of product from Dreamaster seemed to crumble around twelve months ago. I was a big fan of the early course products and downloads, but then things went very quiet - as mentioned above. The last lighting course I purchased consisted in the early stages of virtual backboard scrawling - I never completed the 'lectures' and gave up on Dreamlight, especially when the mailing list began to be used for non-3D product spam.

In short, my experience is that the product quality can vary from excellent to abysmal. Caveat Emptor.

I got both the modeling and Lighting courses recently. Nearly finished the first but haven't started the second. Both courses were done in video with good resolution. My assessment of the modeling course content is that it had a lot of useful information for me after the first four modules. Before that I thought I had made a mistake purchasing it, even for $47, because it was painfully slow and repetitive (which, to be fair, might be fine for an absolute beginner). Plus, it contained a lot of unsubstantiated claims/assertions. By module 5 though it got much better. One could tell he really enjoyed modeling and was adept at Lightwave. The overview videos, however, don't really add anything to the course and should either be dropped or redone imho. Overall, I got my money's worth out of the modeling course.
    Regardless, I'm not too happy about purchasing the Light Master course since there is now a far better deal that includes more than that course and is $10 cheaper. I'm still within my 30-day refund period but a refund doesn't seem very likely given the plethora of emails on the subject not too long ago.
    Actually, speaking of refunds, I'm not sure why the website touts a 30-day money back guarantee though because when people asked for their money back because of radical differences in prices within a few days of one another, they were told there would be no refunds, that sales happen yadda yadda. (I know this because I got emails explicitly saying that refunds would not be given to those who bought the $97 version of the Modeling course a few days before the cheaper one came out.) Mind you I don't disagree that sales happen, but if one is going to place a no-questions-asked refund policy on the website then there is no basis to deny refunds requested within that time period. DAZ certainly has never done that to me no matter if it was day 30. I don't care if he is going to post special stuff for those who paid more or not. It was their choice according to the guarantee under which they made the purchase. At the least there should have been a credit for the difference.
    FWIW, I wouldn't discourage anyone from getting a course they found interesting or any of the products for sale. Just be sure you can live with what you pay regardless of what it might be offered for later. Personally though I'd rather purchase DL stuff here. It is hard to beat DAZ customer service and return policy that really is no-questions-asked.

edited December 1969

If you paid via paypal, I'd raise a dispute if he wouldn't give you the money back. From what I was reading elsewhere I don't think the Moneyback guarantee applies to the dreamlight training courses but Daz wasn't advertising the fact.

edited July 2012

anikad said:
    If you paid via paypal, I'd raise a dispute if he wouldn't give you the money back. From what I was reading elsewhere I don't think the Moneyback guarantee applies to the dreamlight training courses but Daz wasn't advertising the fact.

The money-back guarantee I was talking about is on DL's website at the end of every course advertisement page I've seen, not here. (See next post for exact wording.) I have never had any problems getting money back for products purchased at DAZ regardless of what it was or what my reason was, even when I was the one at fault (i.e., buying something I already had!). They didn't ask me why but I usually told them anyway.
    Actually, to be clear, I have not asked for a refund yet for any products I purchased at DL so I will not say he won't give me one. But I did receive emails indicating that such requests presumably made by others were denied for the reasons I have already discuss. That said, I may still ask for a refund. Not sure. I am not at all interested in the new pin-up course and find the ads for it somewhat tasteless, but the fact that the two courses cost $10 less than the one I bought isn't sitting well with me. However, that alone is not enough to make me return the course.
    The decline in forum participation and quality of customer service mentioned above might be temporary, might not. We'll have to see.

edited July 2012

BTW, what follows is the text of the refund policy on the DL website (the 3D course name changes but this is the text with regard to every course discussed so far):

30-DAY 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE

I stand for excellence when it comes to 3D training.

Therefore, if you buy 3D Model Master and, for ANY reason feel that it is not for you, you are welcome to take advantage of our 30-day 100% money-back guarantee. No questions asked!

Now, I know this stuff works and changes artists lives. But just in case you don't agree - I'll reimburse your investment fully.

The risk is all on me!

Contrast this policy with the email sent out after the first sale of $97 ended and the lite version was offered (this was not a private email btw; it was an ad. So posting it does not violate DAZ's TOS):
    You can now choose...

A step by step, comprehensive 3D modeling program, that will guide you from
    your very first steps, to the final model and money in your hand - all
    using FREE software.

And the new LITE version of 3D modeling master enables you to get a
    "stripped down" version at half the price.

But you need to get it NOW...

The lite version will be taken down first week of June.

Get it here and choose how you wake up:

[Link Removed]

For those who already have the full version, no refunds are accepted.
    However, an additional module and bonus features will be added to turn the
    already full featured version into something REALLY extra.

Keep tweaking!

- Waldemar Belwon / Dreamlight