Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited October 2016

Folks, I gotta get some sleep, this is only 23% rendered but I wanted you to see the eyes and brows. I'll do a quickie change in makeup for you.

I personally would morph the mouth to make it wider, this is out of the box. Love the eyes, and the blush is subtle, great job!

I did ensure the camera was properly set up for closeups so there was no distortion (portraits have the Focal Length between 90 and 125- we discussed that because if not, it can distort the face- particularly the nose.)  Mine are set at 115 usually.

MarinaCar2.png
    900 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

Doing a quick natural face render of Marina- she looks TOTALLY different. It is also only 20 percent rendered, but you can see what she looks like!   It's 5:20am so I won't be back on until the afternoon- everyone feel free to post what you're finding and liking, and any renders of things that are on sale.

BTW, these are NOT the default Iray lights. They are an overcast day from Apocalyptic  lights (Dumor) Grab those if you don't have them, the Outdoors set has a sunny day too!

Happy shopping on the last day!

MarinaCar3.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016
    LunaAliciaArmor.png
    600 x 800 - 947K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

Another of  P3D Luna wearing Alicia Armor Outfit. but with makeup. This is a jpg, the other was a png, so this is more color saturated too for the skin. You can de-saturate and get a paler version, I didn't want to tweak it too much as I usually try to show out of the box for you.

LunaAliciaArmor2.jpg
    450 x 600 - 219K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

P3D Luna as a 5-6 year old with Growing Up.  HAD to show you! Coming shortly, check back!

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

P3D Luna as a 5-6 year old with Growing Up.  HAD to show you!

AND CONGRATS TO UNITED STATES ON WINNING THE GOLF RYDER CUP!!!!  (had only won 2/10 times the past  20 years, it's played every other year!!!!!)  And thank you to Europe for being such incredible good sports- love you too!

LunaAliciaArmor3.jpg
    450 x 600 - 226K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

She's adorable! I love most of P3Design's ladies. They are so beautiful, and usually not in a "classic beauty" way. That makes them more valuable in my mind.

Thank you L'Adair, I like those for that same reason. Variety is wonderful!

Hope folks who wanted Silo noted the Silo thread I started awhile back- it was on sale today for around $12 (from $119)   I didn't see the thread as I have been offline most the day, or would have told you.  I haven't done Silo recently but may piddle with it to refresh my memory.  There is a thread here in Art Studio about the Humble Bundle Clickteam Game Developer bundle (about $1100 of stuff for $15) if you want to putz making video games. See the thread that has making video games in the title.

Here's a few from today:

Elven is a DO so you get that extra discount if you have the orange banner. Add it to a New item and your price drops another 10% too. The movement morphs in the lower part look fluid.

Jolina has thicker eyebrows, probably would also be a good one to be a kid.

FWSA Imogen has freckles and a different material look- not a perfect babe. Eyebrows are thicker too, although a bit more penciled than the others mentioned previously. 

FWSA Eliya is a steal as a DO-(with banner, $4.24)  and I think she'd make an awesome bad-girl! 

Jurou for Lee 7- different looks, that's for sure. Note third thumbnail to see him as a regular guy.

Sport Sneakers   and Textures  (but if it's only colors, I wouldn't do the textures.)

Russian Clothing-  for men's clothing. Has a few open/close morphs for the jacket,  wrinkling in the pants and waist, etc.

All of Streetwear's store!  We've showcased that a LOT when it first came out. Well made, and practical.

Lauran Hair- can shrink that hair on top so seems versatile, can remove the bow and keep the band

Sally Hair- a lot of layers and in the side level- meaning, if you don't want to mess with long hair laying on the chest, this hair has a lot of layering in the lengths that are to the shoulders. Face it, sometimes you just don't want to mess with getting hair off the shoulders and chest. This gives you a lot of details above the shoulder level, but with length.

Hanna Hair has nice flow and thickness.

edited October 2016

I have all of Tango Alpha's. On Jackson's Field, I don't care for the cutoff of the grass but if you have a grass plane, it's an easy fix. (And I may have done it wrong, I think I just loaded it and did not rotate it or anything.) Here's a piddling- with- it from a week ago.These were test renders, I took that grass plane that I had done with the mega grass pak (I showed you with that wall) and applied it.

If you want old farm buidlings such as horse run-ins, it's a fun one. (Keep in mind this is a WIP and was just for me, not the thread, but it's timely to show you now while the sale is on. I didn't even have a background for the original, just wanted to test the ground plane. I don't like the square cut-off of the grass, but it's an easy fix to use a grass product (the square planes, just plop one in) You can see the difference in mine. I like the product and would recommend it, there's no other outdoor shed/run-in products for country scenes that I recall in the store. 

Explanation- notice that in mine, there is a pallet (wooden slats) between the building, and over into the horse run-in/outdoor open storage, which is what I was using it for in my scene. That was because I was setting it up to stack hay bales in there. As I said, just fooling around. 

jacksonfieldORIG.jpg
    622 x 630 - 392K
    jacksonfieldGrass.jpg
    617 x 568 - 379K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

I did just load it and looked again, that is how the ground plane comes in, with that squarish section. Just wanted to be sure.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

A few more- and am skipping some stores as I couldn't post the information in time if I visited every single one. 

Apocalypse Service Station for "driving and lost in the desert and not much help" renders. LOL

And a BIGGIE- we've mentioned so many times- the Iray Smart Converter (and Skin Manager) for Genesis 2. This really lets you fine tune your Iray skins on Gen2 and it's EASY. I consider it one of the must haves.

Real Feel Turtleneck Classic-  another men's clothing item that looks like it has nice detail. 

G-Bot 102

The Steam Engine  MATCHES THE PARKSIDE SERIES SCALE IN THE PC+ CLUB!

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

It dawned on me I didn't list the Apocalyptic lights by Dumor (I love that set) because when going through the stores, I don't see what I already own. Definitely want to pick this up, if you don't have it! Nice overcast days, also has full sun. Easy to use, if you're starting with Iray, I'd start with this one.

The Grassy Grounds Mega Pack is another handy one. 

I'm picking up a few of the Tesla rooms, including the Living Room and Dining Room. It's different.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2016

Long ago, I gave up on trying to keep up with the thousands of products we've reviewed,but since the PA sale for this year is winding down, before it ends,  here is one post that shows links to some of the posts that have renders of products, waaaay back in thread 3.  EDIT- I AM SO PISSED- all those links are broken- all that work for nothing, it took two weeks to do those!!! 

Post edited by Novica on

Oh, COME ON. Magento errors AGAIN. I can't go to the products in the cart, they're throwing the error.  11:35pm Central time.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    Novica said:

I have all of Tango Alpha's. On Jackson's Field, I don't care for the cutoff of the grass but if you have a grass plane, it's an easy fix. (And I may have done it wrong, I think I just loaded it and did not rotate it or anything.) Here's a piddling- with- it from a week ago.These were test renders, I took that grass plane that I had done with the mega grass pak (I showed you with that wall) and applied it.

If you want old farm buidlings such as horse run-ins, it's a fun one. (Keep in mind this is a WIP and was just for me, not the thread, but it's timely to show you now while the sale is on. I didn't even have a background for the original, just wanted to test the ground plane. I don't like the square cut-off of the grass, but it's an easy fix to use a grass product (the square planes, just plop one in) You can see the difference in mine. I like the product and would recommend it, there's no other outdoor shed/run-in products for country scenes that I recall in the store. 

Explanation- notice that in mine, there is a pallet (wooden slats) between the building, and over into the horse run-in/outdoor open storage, which is what I was using it for in my scene. That was because I was setting it up to stack hay bales in there. As I said, just fooling around. 

I wasn't aware of that straight edge - it wasn't deliberate. No one else has pointed it out (I guess it's usually covered up by something) but if I do an update I'll be sure to fix it.

It's not likely now that I'll do an UltraScattered version, but if anyone wants to UltraScatter it themselves, the replicator masks in the Carrara download will plug straight in to UltraScatter. You'll just need to use smaller grass props than I included (and Predatron's weed/wild flower sets work a treat)

I wasn't aware of that straight edge - it wasn't deliberate. No one else has pointed it out (I guess it's usually covered up by something) but if I do an update I'll be sure to fix it.

It's not likely now that I'll do an UltraScattered version, but if anyone wants to UltraScatter it themselves, the replicator masks in the Carrara download will plug straight in to UltraScatter. You'll just need to use smaller grass props than I included (and Predatron's weed/wild flower sets work a treat)

In doing reviews for three years, it's rather interesting that some of the products that have been around for quite awhile have interesting aspects to them. I've found signatures in hairlines due to map placement, etc. And no one else had ever commented on them, may not have noticed, I never know which it is. I do wish people would point out (nicely) aspects that they would like to see addressed, otherwise, how would the vendors know?

And like this one, some things may depend on camera angle. Your sets are wonderful and I had no hesitation in recommending the entire store, 'cause I have everything you make! yes

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    Novica said:

P3D Luna is a great pick to make a child! Look at those eyebrows- so natural!  And Marina for natural eyebrows.

Novica said:

You are absolutely right! What is it about the adult character that made you think how it will work well as a child? And would the same apply to a male figure?

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited October 2016

I'm not sure if anyone's ever done the Fantasy Hovel (those of you who know me well, know medieval fantasy is one of my faves lol)  I picked this up the other day.  This is an Iray render but the only thing I converted was the flames to make them emissive.  And I know its a tiny bit blown out but I was really impressed with how well everything rendered in Iray.  And it was quick too.  I did notice that you need something behind the structure by the fireplace because there are spots you can see through.  Which makes it more realistic lol.  Also, if anyone else has this, are there props for this anywhere?  The list is long and all of the materials for the various props are there but the props themselves are absent.  I have looked everything including the product list - the pose, props, figures and materials files in the poser section and can't find them.  Which is odd, why have textures without props?  Oh also, there are two rooms to this you get a small bedroom with two beds as well.  Overall I'm really happy with this particular purchase,  Its very reminiscent of the hobbit

Fantasy Hovel Test.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

You are absolutely right! What is it about the adult character that made you think how it will work well as a child? And would the same apply to a male figure?

What I would look for (and is an immediate "This one!" for kids is:

1. the look of natural eyebrows- in particular, some hair at the beginning of the brow

2. irregularities in the brow (go look at the closeup of the adult and you'll see some hair missing)

3. dainty brows like on Willow (she comes to mind in a heartbeat.)  By dainty I mean less density (not thin as in width, I mean the number of hairs)  

So in other words, absolutely no penciled-look brows.

For eyes: simple- must have a no makeup option, without liner. Lips- can reduce the gloss and change colors in Surfaces, so not too much of a concern. The brows for me are the glaring factor as to what will translate well. And even then, it can be surprising  wink  Hey, we should do a Kid-A-Thon and  show the adults as they were "years ago." 

Interesting.  I never felt the need for the growing up scripts because I rarely do children.  But that almost makes me want to try it lol.

edited October 2016

I'll check on Fantasy Hovel. I do have it, and the ReadMe is useless. Not even a working File List. Back in a bit, doing a render of something I found that surprised me. You can play around with it.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

I was expected an open ended thing, but Tesla gives you the entire building for the Living Room and Dining Room,  just add a brick shader (tiling about 20 x 20) ,  a few plants, a grass ground plane, and you're in business, but really just for the lower walls. Some of the bricks are going funky when you get further up.  You can see how big the windows are, which make indoor lighting a LOT easier.

I'm showing some quickie interior renders, with the sale going on speed of testing things is more important than ultimate renders. What I don't care for- the curtains have a weird bend. I do appreciate the vendor doing something other than straight, boring curtains, but those should give us the option to have straight, boring curtains and there are no morphs. They are in a group and can not be twiddled with at all. The good news- they are a separate material zone so you can Cutout Opacity them from the scene. 

These are just Apocalyptic HDRI lighting and the vendor's lights- so if you do have trouble with indoor Iray lights, this is a good set for you. ISO was 157 with Exposure Value 14 (that can be reduced to get a lighter room) 

Note the curved curtain. 

teslaLivingDining.jpg
    517 x 600 - 243K
    teslaLivingDining2.jpg
    517 x 600 - 263K
    teslaLivingDining3.jpg
    517 x 600 - 264K
    teslaLivingDining4.jpg
    516 x 349 - 107K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

Sonja, how did you get to Fantasy Hovel? I went into Content Library and used Products>F  and there's a Basic and Advanced choice for the entire set. I chose advanced and the entire scene loaded (and rendered in one minute 44 seconds, my goodness!)  I accidentally used 4.8 version, but heh, it worked. I didn't switch any materials or do anything, just click and render. Are you saying you don't have ANY props? Can you see if you can access it the same way I did?

(Again, no light tweaking, just curious to see if the props would even be there. ) 

FantasyHovel.jpg
    517 x 600 - 265K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Novica said:

I'll check on Fantasy Hovel. I do have it, and the ReadMe is useless. Not even a working File List. Back in a bit, doing a render of something I found that surprised me. You can play around with it.

There's a readme for it in the zip.

Sorry I don't think I was totally clear.  It has props that pre load but I can't find any stand alone props.  If I wanted to add more scrolls or another chair or candles or something.  I can move the props that are there but can't seem to find any to add to the scene.

Sorry I don't think I was totally clear.  It has props that pre load but I can't find any stand alone props.  If I wanted to add more scrolls or another chair or candles or something.  I can move the props that are there but can't seem to find any to add to the scene.

The way I got to it, all the props are listed individually, so you can add more.

Novica said:

The way I got to it, all the props are listed individually, so you can add more.

Thats what  I thought.  But I can't find the actual props only the Mats.  Have looked everywhere.  Under products - F - Fantasy Hovel (which has everything but the actual props.) I've looked in Poser - pose & props & figures. 

I'll go back in and double check. I'm doubting my sanity. THANKS. (Lol)

Anytime lol.  I might just uninstall and re install manually tomorrow and see if that does it.  Going to take a look at the file paths in the download folder and see if I can track them down that way.  Maybe it just installed wrong.  I use DIM as well and am usually really good at tracking stuff down now.  But not these.  I tried double clicking, I tried right clicking to add to the scene and I tried dragging and dropping.

edited October 2016

I manually downloaded and got to the zip- Sonja definitely has found a problem- it is only the materials, and in the README it says the props should be here, and THEY ARE NOT.  

• You can find new icons for loading this product in the following Poser Libraries:
      • Props: "SoulessEmpathy\Fantasy Hovel" 

I'm not finding it in Daz Studio folders> Environments>SoulessEmpathy  either.

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.