Blurred Iray preview.

Hello guys.

Simple matter. Iray preview (Ctrl+0) used to be sharp & crispy & now it’s disgustingly blurry. It’s like resolution suddenly dropped but only in Iray preview. Obviously I pressed on something & I can’t figure out what…

Does anyone know what the hell did I do & how can I undo that?

Thank you in advance =)

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,121

Did you activate Depth of Field on the camera? That could cause blurring if the focal distance and f stop are set to not include the subject matter of your scene.

• ZomZom Posts: 32

I don't have any cameras on the scene. I usually delete them, because the mess with my lights, if I want some specific lightening... Or am I missing something?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Zom said:

I don't have any cameras on the scene. I usually delete them, because the mess with my lights, if I want some specific lightening... Or am I missing something?

Without a camera you are at the mercy of the view...usually perspective and have no controls for what you are seeing (there's more than just DoF that can be done with a camera).  If the camera is 'messing' with your lights...turn off the Headlight.

mjc1016 said:

Without a camera you are at the mercy of the view...usually perspective and have no controls for what you are seeing (there's more than just DoF that can be done with a camera).  If the camera is 'messing' with your lights...turn off the Headlight.

Thank you for your comment, I'll keep what you said in mind, however, there's also Scene Pane. If I understand it correctely, feel free to correct me if I am wrong, cameras just help to jump from one view to another, I don't know another use for them yet. Since I am using a single view right now, I have no use for that & see no point for extra objects. But the point was that it wasn't a camera that blurres the Iray preview.

If you don't use a "real" camera and instead rely on the Perspective View to frame your scene, the changes you make to the view will not be saved with the scene and will be lost when you reopen a saved scene file.

Please show us a screenshot of the problem, so we can debug it better.

barbult said:

If you don't use a "real" camera and instead rely on the Perspective View to frame your scene, the changes you make to the view will not be saved with the scene and will be lost when you reopen a saved scene file.

Yes, I am aware of that & when I start making complicated scenes, where I'll need to "freeze that moment" I'll be sure to use cameras, no doubt. Right now I'm just playing with shapes & light.

The problem was pixelation, or rather low resolution of the preview, just like a low resolution photo begins to blure on zoom. After Clean Startup, the problem seem to go away, I am getting sharp previews again.

Thank you for all your answers =)

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Cameras also have additional functions like frame widt and all the other nifty effects you have in a regular camera...

Without a screenshot to demonstrate the problem, we have to make wild guesses. So, my next wild guess is Draw Settings. The Draw Settings Manipulation Resolution reduces the resolution of the Iray viewport preview while you are adjusting the view by zooming, rotating, etc. It does this to redraw your Iray preview faster to give more real time feedback on the changes you are making. As soon as you stop adjusting the view, your preview resolution will go back to full resolution and clear away the pixelation. How fast all this happens depends on your Nvidia graphics card hardware capabilities. Draw Settings can be changed by opening the Draw Settings pane from Window>Panes (Tabs)>Draw Settings.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Zom said:

The problem was pixelation, or rather low resolution of the preview, just like a low resolution photo begins to blure on zoom. After Clean Startup, the problem seem to go away, I am getting sharp previews again.

Iray preview will use the video card's memory just like a regular Iray render and when the card's memory fills up it will drop to CPU mode.  Iray/Studio/Windows may not always release the video memory, cleanly...but restarting will.  

My guess as to what was happening is that the preview was dropping to CPU rendering and just going very slowly...you could look in th elog file and see if that was the case, as it is recorded there when the GPU drops out.

barbult said:

Without a screenshot to demonstrate the problem, we have to make wild guesses. So, my next wild guess is Draw Settings. The Draw Settings Manipulation Resolution reduces the resolution of the Iray viewport preview while you are adjusting the view by zooming, rotating, etc.

Um, no =) I know that it redraws in Iray preview when you make changes or even movements, but on my screen it never goes through low level of resolution faze, pixelated & noisy - yes, but the pixels are still sharp, low rez - no. I don't have a screenshot to show you because I fixed the problem before you requested it. But if you can imagine low res photo up close - that was it.

mjc1016 said:
    Zom said:

Iray preview will use the video card's memory just like a regular Iray render and when the card's memory fills up it will drop to CPU mode.  Iray/Studio/Windows may not always release the video memory, cleanly...but restarting will.  

My guess as to what was happening is that the preview was dropping to CPU rendering and just going very slowly...you could look in th elog file and see if that was the case, as it is recorded there when the GPU drops out.

You could be right, however, Normal Restart didn't fix the problem, only Clean Startup did, so there could be a conflicting program pounding on my video card or something...

In any case, it's all good now & I know what to do if the problem returns.

Thank you guys =)

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437

I know this is ancient old, but I recently came here while googling for the same issue, so this might be helpful to someone else (not sure if related to OP)

I used to get a pixelated viewport often, in my case turns out it has to do with the mouse scroll wheel. It´s like Iray gets locked at the first step of rendering after zooming with the wheel.

Just zoom again while PRESSING the wheel and Iray will "unlock" and continue preview rendering. Fixed :D

• valzheimervalzheimer Posts: 519
    Hellboy said:

I know this is ancient old, but I recently came here while googling for the same issue, so this might be helpful to someone else (not sure if related to OP)

I used to get a pixelated viewport often, in my case turns out it has to do with the mouse scroll wheel. It´s like Iray gets locked at the first step of rendering after zooming with the wheel.

Just zoom again while PRESSING the wheel and Iray will "unlock" and continue preview rendering. Fixed :D

I just want to say THANK YOU for resurrecting this thread, this definitely did solve my problem and it would've been the last thing I'd think was causing it.

V.

• Since I didn't see the answer I found in any threads, I'm going to add it here, too.  The mouse wheel issue didn't fix it in my case, neither did making sure all my Iray settings were at default, so I started looking for what setting I inadvertently changed.

I thought it might be in "draw" settings somewhere since that governs - at least in part - all preview modes, and that's where I found it.  There's a "Manipulation Resolution" drop down which you can change, pr5obably to make it so your machine doesn't lag too hard on Iray preview on complicated scenes - somehow, mine had been switched to 1/4.  I switched that to "normal" and it went back to a nice, crisp preview.

Blurry_Iray_preview.png
    527 x 455 - 31K
  • Since I didn't see the answer I found in any threads, I'm going to add it here, too.  The mouse wheel issue didn't fix it in my case, neither did making sure all my Iray settings were at default, so I started looking for what setting I inadvertently changed.

I thought it might be in "draw" settings somewhere since that governs - at least in part - all preview modes, and that's where I found it.  There's a "Manipulation Resolution" drop down which you can change, pr5obably to make it so your machine doesn't lag too hard on Iray preview on complicated scenes - somehow, mine had been switched to 1/4.  I switched that to "normal" and it went back to a nice, crisp preview.

Thanks, Digital Steam. Another weird Daz quirk solved. "Why do we even have that lever??!!!!"

Since I didn't see the answer I found in any threads, I'm going to add it here, too.  The mouse wheel issue didn't fix it in my case, neither did making sure all my Iray settings were at default, so I started looking for what setting I inadvertently changed.

That was actually posted in this very thread 3 years ago, just a few messages above yours. wink

• JpegerJpeger Posts: 24

Hellboy said:

You are the real MVP!  This fixed it.  You are right.. can't just roll the wheel, have to press while wheeling it.

• DigitalSteam said:

Since I didn't see the answer I found in any threads, I'm going to add it here, too.  The mouse wheel issue didn't fix it in my case, neither did making sure all my Iray settings were at default, so I started looking for what setting I inadvertently changed.

Even after ALL this time, I also ran into the issue and sir or madame, thank you. To save anyone time for anyone in the future, this fix is under "draw Settings" pane, not render settings. Took me a few minutes to figure it out. Thought I was going crazy for a moment. But yes, normal fixes it. I owe you a drink!

• Hellboy said:

Hi, 2022 here and you just solved a problem i've been getting for months. Thanks!