Special Character search/request

2»

Comments

• Dani Foster HerringDani Foster Herring Posts: 275
    edited December 1969

I am so happy you are doing this!!! Thank you. I've tried so many times to make one myself but have failed miserably. If you need any reference photos...I have tons of my youngest son that you can use. *smile*

quinn.jpg
    800 x 600 - 306K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

I have a 48 yo friend who is Downs. Jerry is functionally blind now, but instantly recognizes me and everyone else he knows as soon as we say "Hi." He is lovingly cared for by his brother and sister-in-law. They do not talk to him any differently than they do to me.
    Jerry has taught me a lot about myself. About other people, too.
    Sadly, for most people, people like Jerry are invisible.
    I'm glad I can see him.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Trust me, I know disability. I'm medically disabled with Autism and went to school with kids of many different kinds of disabilities.

Autists unite! ;)

Seriously, though, I've wondered myself how one could (not PC-ism "how could you!") do justice to Autism in a character depiction without condescending or artificially glamorizing it. Of course, it'd be a narrative depiction more than straight visuals, as there are few enough anatomical/physionomic symptoms. (I count myself autist too, though not disablingly so: so far I have gotten along with the neurotypical populace enough not to require an actual, clinical evaluation, but my Aspergers' is plain enough to those who know what they're looking at. And my son is officially "somewhere on the 'spectrum'" as it's called.) But for a character to be believably autist, the creator needs to portray it from the inside. Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) is recognizably caricatured as an Aspie, but he seems more a caricature of the type by outward observers than a depiction from experience. The protagonist in "Dog in the Night-Time" is in some ways worse.

ETA: not meaning to highjack the thread, but it is a relevant sort of question: how can we rightly depict characters with various disabilities (amputees are comparatively easy next to CP, Downs, et cet.) without caricaturing them into their ¿dis?ability instead of celebrating their humanity?
    Exactly my point. It's close to impossible. So, unless people are many more open-minded and understanding like the great people here, again, creating an open market for tender demographics will at some point end in the company getting a few phone calls from disability services and their lawyers.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

I think when someone wants to make renders which show handicaped people in a negative way or make fun of them, then this person surely finds a way to do so. It should not be an excuse for refusing to create such morphs. Without the morphs it is more difficult to create a render featuring someone with Down syndrome, but what about paraplegic, deaf or blind people? Their handicaps are not that hard to portray, a render with them would be fairly easy to do. So it sounds a bit strange to me that people whose handicaps are more visible should be protected, but those with non-visible or easily portrayed handicaps not. Is it worse to humiliate a blind person, or to humiliate someone with Dow Syndrome? I think it is equally wrong. And of course the person who does the render is resposible, not the one who made the morph.

Exactly! I think it's time to add real people to renders, not just the super-models. I have a couple of morphs/textures of older people, but I lack morphs/textures of ordinary non-super models to the downright non-beautiful people. Morphs should be fairly easy to do, but I lack textures of people with moles, varicosities, warts and so on. It's not about humiliating, but of portraying real scenes that everyone would recognize. It's one of my quirks, to try to make pictures as real as possible. So an authentic morph is worth it's weight in gold.

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited December 1969

Years ago I received a special request from a parent of a child with trisomy 21 (down syndrome) and I created a free morphs that you can find here: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=59302

It was originally created for a Victoria 4.

Edit to add: I didn't read the whole thread for that reason I didn't see your post bad4u. Sorry for the double post.

Nice morph!! But I read it was for non-commercial renders only... :down:

• Virtual_WorldVirtual_World Posts: 1,078
    edited December 1969

This is what I have so far; but I am sleepy so I go to bed now and finish it tomorrow. Good night everybody.

BoyTrisomi21.jpg
    1200 x 1358 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Oh, thank you...I think it looks great. I have wanted for so very long to be able to create images my son can relate to (and of him) but have never been able to get the eyes right...this looks perfect. {{{hugs}}}

edited December 1969

From Melissa's readme:
    " You can use this product freely in commercial or non commercial renders."

I can't use it because I do not have the Elite Ethnic Faces for V4.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

DWG said:

The other way of looking at it is that a blanket exclusion of disability themes says we aren't fit to appear in art, which is even more of a problem. Ultimately being 'politically correct' just means not being rude to people, and ignoring an entire demographic group would count, OTOH if you don't know whether it would be rude or not, that's probably a sign you need to know more about disabled people, both in general and with regard to disability-themed art.

That's not completely fair to the individual artist that you're asking to take the risk.

I was speaking more to the group than the individual; I subscribe to the social model of disability, one aspect of which is that ultimately we're aiming for a society in which being disabled is no more significant an aspect of a person than being green-eyed, dark-haired or whatever. Spinning off from that, disability should be incidental to composition rather than fundamental.

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited December 1969

This is what I have so far; but I am sleepy so I go to bed now and finish it tomorrow. Good night everybody.

He looks so cute! Your a genius! Many thanks for creating him..he is perfect! :)
    edited December 1969

I am so happy you are doing this!!! Thank you. I've tried so many times to make one myself but have failed miserably. If you need any reference photos...I have tons of my youngest son that you can use. *smile*

Her is really cute Dani! :) Thanks for sharing this picture..its a really nice photo! Nice wooded area too.
    edited December 1969

From Melissa's readme:
    " You can use this product freely in commercial or non commercial renders."

I can't use it because I do not have the Elite Ethnic Faces for V4.

Ohhh!! I just read the description at the page. :red:

Thanks!!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

bad4u said:
    Virtual_World did a character morph with down syndrom once, Melissa, you can find her at Renderosity free stuff: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=59302 . Skin texture used on her render was Ivory by Virtual_World if I remember correct ( http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ivory ).

I had to find my search fu first, but I knew there was a thread about characters with trisomy21 and here it is: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=132033 . Unfortunately it doesn't show images correctly anymore.

ps1borg did another morph (male) there which is available from Renderosity free stuff too: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=59369

Unfortunately no morphs for Kids4, but maybe these help some people, especially if you transfer their morphs to Genesis using GenX so you could blend with child morphs too.

to get pics to display...

take the 'postimages/origimage_somenumber.jpg' and tack it on to the end of 'forumarchive.daz3d.com/'....

like this

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/postimages/origimage_1_2187479.jpg
    edited December 1969

digitell said:
    Her is really cute Dani! :) Thanks for sharing this picture..its a really nice photo! Nice wooded area too.

Yes, he is. LOL Thank you!!

edited December 1969

digitell said:

Yes, he is. LOL Thank you!!
    And..your avatar is so cute!! What did you use if you dont mind me asking..

edited December 1969

That's Nursoda's Kena wearing, I think, a texture made by Sarsa, but I can't find it in the store, so I'm not sure. I like her because she's chubby...like me. *smile*

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/kena/72294

edited December 1969

Oh yeah..that character is too cute! I just love Nursoda's stuff and that is one that I dont have...yet :) Thanks for the info..you did a great job on that avatar..so cute! :)

edited December 1969
    BoyTrisomi21c.jpg
    650 x 736 - 308K
    BoyTrisomi21b.jpg
    650 x 736 - 278K
    BoyTrisomi21a.jpg
    650 x 736 - 302K
    edited December 1969

Dani, thank you for posting the photo of your son. He is very handsome and I am sure he is very sweet.

Norse Graphics, I fixed Melissa's description to allow Commercial renders.

edited December 1969

Thank you! {{hugs}}

edited December 1969

Dani, thank you for posting the photo of your son. He is very handsome and I am sure he is very sweet.

Norse Graphics, I fixed Melissa's description to allow Commercial renders.

Thanks!

:)

edited December 1969

Thank you. Don't let that adorable little smile fool you, he's actually a little stink-pot... but we love him and will keep him anyway. *smile*

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited December 1969

It really is heart warming to read a thread like this in between all the others. Thank you all so much for posting and thank you Virtual_World for the morphs you made and shared. :)

Love, Jeanne

edited December 1969

Thank you so very much for creating these characters! They are beautiful! So generous of you. Many thanks! :)

edited December 1969

Thank you, again.

lovinlife.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 361K