Post your best 3d "cheat" render...we've all done it.

posecastposecast Posts: 386
edited September 2016 in Art Studio

So I was working on a render where I had cut up some street scenes to build facades to render as backgrounds in DS and it occurred to me that so much of 3d rendering is cheating. Whether we are cutting up still images, breaking models apart, hiding parts of models and showing others, there is a tremendous amount of ingenuity involved in making things work for things they weren't designed for. I am still working on my render, but it made me wonder what examples of this other people had to show.

Anyone?

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Moving this thread to the Art Studio,  the home of render threads.

• So I was working on a render where I had cut up some street scenes to build facades to render as backgrounds in DS and it occurred to me that so much of 3d rendering is cheating. Whether we are cutting up still images, breaking models apart, hiding parts of models and showing others, there is a tremendous amount of ingenuity involved in making things work for things they weren't designed for. I am still working on my render, but it made me wonder what examples of this other people had to show.

Anyone?

It's not cheating, it's another widely used method render. Is it cheating to use a house brush to paint a sky on a canvas?  If you modeled everything in polys for involved scenes your render times would skyrocket. 3D image composition is by nature mixed media.

If you need to make a crowd does it make sense to model figures well in the background or use a flat plane with a picture and transparency of someone? Your one 3d figure with 2,200 faces could become 2,2000 figures (factor in 4,400 images and transmaps but you get the idea) 

• I only used the word cheat as a convenience...not in a negative way. In fact, I see the "cheat" as a hugely positive technique. I only meant to start a thread where we could see people's examples so that we could learn from them.

My apologies.

• There shouldn't be any offense to the word cheat,.  the film industry uses it all the time,  "we'll cheat the shot,  cheat the angle,  cheat the prespective, cheat the sightlines"  it's just something that gets done to get the shot, whatever it may be.  The end product of the footage needs to sell the continuity to story  and that's all.  How you get there,  its the talent and creativity to production and editing.  

3D image composition is by nature mixed media.

That pretty well sums it up.  Movies are like that too. 

• I only used the word cheat as a convenience...not in a negative way. In fact, I see the "cheat" as a hugely positive technique. I only meant to start a thread where we could see people's examples so that we could learn from them.

My apologies.

no need to apologize. If I play a descending chromatic pattern from Paganinni's Caprice #5 flawlessly at a gig it gets the same response as me doing a one finger hammer pull-off of the 2nd fret. The first takes years to master, the 2nd I could teach to my cat in 4 seconds but both examples are ends to a means. When I first started getting more involved with rendering I saw pre-made scenes using cut outs and I was like WTF, this is totally cheating! Now I understand, this is how Bob Ross painted a landscape in 20 minutes while having a conversation about a squirrel he found living in his hair or a designer using stock art for a client with a multimillion dollar ad campaign. 

• posecastposecast Posts: 386
    edited September 2016

I actually prefer the "cheats"...love watching hollywood set extension videos. And as a former owner of a made-in-mexico Prodigy from 23 years ago, I can say that it was the best guitar I have ever had at $200. I have bought several sub-500$ guitars in the last 5 years and none of them felt right, and none of them compared to that first one I owned. I would buy a strat...but 3d costs too much lol! I would love to find one of those Fernandes Nomad guitars though! And now, back to 3d!

Post edited by posecast on
  • I think everything I do is 'cheating'? I keep thinking of it from a filming angle (not that I've ever made a real film)-- if the camera can't see it, it doesn't matter. Poke-through I can't resolve? Play with camera angles until it can't be seen (or seems intentional). Can't find the model I want? Improvise by merging two. This room is nice but too small (and I can't render big stuff anyhow)? Just suggest size while showing a corner (but knock down all the off-camera walls because they just get in the way). I'm planning a render involving a lot of figures... or at least their hands, emerging from doorways and I'm probably going to whack those hands off of figures because that's overhead I don't need.

• Yes dreamfarmer, that is what I am talking about!

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Gallery link in my sig (the lovely elf girl) if you want to see all my cheats...

• That's some great work, Mattymanx. Ever thought of doing a graphic novel based on the school image on your deviant art page?

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

It's all pixels anyway, its not like we really build anything, we build illusions. So I don't care to make complete scenery (except if I want to make several shot from one scene). In the end I'm interested in having the right pixel at the right place looking good, how it happened there does not matter.

This girl got no fishtail http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/86466

and these buildings are nothing but roofs http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/206301

I could go on or just look at my galleries

• The first rule of rendering:  If it looks right, it is right :D

(Quote from Brad Peebler, or maybe Andy Brown, over at The Foundry.  Probably not original with them either.)

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited September 2016

"3d rendering is cheating. "

Are you kidding me....seriously???

How do I cheat thee??... let me count the waysdevil

CLIP ONE:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2TYEp536iB8aVBBdHJWRE9jODg

1):Cool "computery stuff" happening on all those screens
    are animated textures made from a 24 minute youtube video of the actualfake computer interface footage used the syfy series"Stargate SG1 ""

2) WOW!! over 40  "animated characters" in one shot watching the carousel screen !!!...umm ..wrong two animated characters( tall alien female and ONE of the guys in red) and over 40 clones of a low res obj file crunched down to about 700 polys with the "decimator "plugin before export from Daz studio to Maxon C4D ( notice how only two people actually move but you are distracted by the spinning carousel and closing bulkhead door in the background)

3) yeah ok.. but cool interface design on the transmission screen of the alien bad guy right??..Well..No.. just some bits and parts from that stargate footage cropped off  &Cobbled together in Adobe after effects and used as animated texture on a simple floating plane,

4) How many "Voice actors" are you using for this project probably "friends & family right"
    uhh..one voice actor...Me!! using Morphvox pro voice morphing software
    and BTW I am a 52 year old black guy from Northern Virginia USA
    ...  im not British/Welsh,
    ( faking that too for Character variety)angel

p.s. JJ Abrahms style lens flares obviously added in post
    using Adobe  After Effects CS3.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

CLIP NUMBER TWO:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2TYEp536iB8WHBPVUZKSG9qWGs/view

1) Every character rendered in his own separate pass to be composited together in Adobe after effects for obvious reasons ( teleportation effects)

2) Generic outside pan shot of Galactus's dreadnaught FAKED with one still image panned across in after effects

3) animated rotating power nodule thingies on Galacuts's bridge walls
       is ONE basic low poly isocahedron cloned and set to "infinate rotation with script in C4D, rendered on it own background layer

4) Generic  outside pan shot of "Utopia Station" Faked with Still render panned across in after effects.

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

It's all smoke and mirrors. There's a reason ILM's logo is a magician.

That's some great work, Mattymanx. Ever thought of doing a graphic novel based on the school image on your deviant art page?

Strangely enough, yes but getting the idea from brain to paper is not a strong point for me.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447

There shouldn't be any offense to the word cheat,.  the film industry uses it all the time,  "we'll cheat the shot,  cheat the angle,  cheat the prespective, cheat the sightlines"  it's just something that gets done to get the shot, whatever it may be.  The end product of the footage needs to sell the continuity to story  and that's all.  How you get there,  its the talent and creativity to production and editing.  

Although they really don't use the word 'cheat' all that much.  The typical line is, "We'll fix it in post!"

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

There shouldn't be any offense to the word cheat,.  the film industry uses it all the time,  "we'll cheat the shot,  cheat the angle,  cheat the prespective, cheat the sightlines"  it's just something that gets done to get the shot, whatever it may be.  The end product of the footage needs to sell the continuity to story  and that's all.  How you get there,  its the talent and creativity to production and editing.  

Although they really don't use the word 'cheat' all that much.  The typical line is, "We'll fix it in post!"

Although that can also mean "Oops and it's too late to re-shoot."

mjc1016 said:

Yes especially when the render is running for 18 h and now at 95% you find something..

Linwelly said:
    mjc1016 said:

Yes especially when the render is running for 18 h and now at 95% you find something..

Floating props come to mind.....

mjc1016 said:
    Linwelly said:

or people...

Mattymanx said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Linwelly said:

or people...

Or in the case of what I'm currently working on...tractors...

mjc1016 said:
    Mattymanx said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Linwelly said:

or people...

Or in the case of what I'm currently working on...tractors...

Tractors sounds good, in my last one it was hair, but it bugged me so much I let the render run again.

My apologies.

no need to apologize. If I play a descending chromatic pattern from Paganinni's Caprice #5 flawlessly at a gig it gets the same response as me doing a one finger hammer pull-off of the 2nd fret. The first takes years to master, the 2nd I could teach to my cat in 4 seconds but both examples are ends to a means. When I first started getting more involved with rendering I saw pre-made scenes using cut outs and I was like WTF, this is totally cheating! Now I understand, this is how Bob Ross painted a landscape in 20 minutes while having a conversation about a squirrel he found living in his hair or a designer using stock art for a client with a multimillion dollar ad campaign. 

J.j. Abrams was nominated for best new score for the theme to lost, which was one note with a bunch of effects. Yes, the entire score to lost was just effects dials off the same note by a very talented director farting around in his basement with frutyloops dials. Cheetah away.