reshaping a isolated section of a model?

SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi
Is there a way to use tools like soft selection, soften and displacement brush in such a way that they will only effect a particular region of the model, say a nose for example without there being any risk of altering any surrounding geometry you don't want to change?
any help would be appreciated
thanks

Comments

• edited December 1969

Yes. That's what those items are meant for.

Those tools plus brush size and zoom factor gives you complete comtrol.

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited November 2012

I don't think you understood my question
    What I'm wondering is if there is a way to make broad changes using those tools while masking out the rest of the model from them

Post edited by Sonofbelmont on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Hi
    Is there a way to use tools like soft selection, soften and displacement brush in such a way that they will only effect a particular region of the model, say a nose for example without there being any risk of altering any surrounding geometry you don't want to change?
    any help would be appreciated
    thanks
    not sure if you can but I was wondering if you could create the section into a material domain and hidethebits you don't want to change...not sure if this would work or not. The only other thing I know is the padlock which is for a complete object...
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Soft selection indicates its area of coverage by highligting the vert's with what ever colour you have set up in your preference editor. In my case bright red. You then control the area of selection by adjusting the settings found in the tool panel on the right, whilst looking at the screen at the highlighted vert's. This thus gives you local control within which to do your worse. But I would suggest you make a copy of the object; save it as a new file and then practice on that first. :)

edited December 1969

RedSquare said:
    Soft selection indicates its area of coverage by highligting the vert's with what ever colour you have set up in your preference editor. In my case bright red. You then control the area of selection by adjusting the settings found in the tool panel on the right, whilst looking at the screen at the highlighted vert's. This thus gives you local control within which to do your worse. But I would suggest you make a copy of the object; save it as a new file and then practice on that first. :)
    true, this does work but I thought he'd already tried it and it didn't suit his purpose? I may have misunderstood though as I'm home sick and on antibiotics....
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Making an area invisible does mask it from the effect of soft select - but you may not like the abrupt transition when it is made visible again:)

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Making an area invisible does mask it from the effect of soft select - but you may not like the abrupt transition when it is made visible again:)

It doesn't do it for me
    how are you making the area invisible? I have just been selecting the faces and clicking the icon for hide selected faces

edited December 1969

It doesn't do it for me
    how are you making the area invisible? I have just been selecting the faces and clicking the icon for hide selected faces
    if it was me I would create a new material domain and hide it through that menu. You can remove the material domain once you've finished needing it.

Roygee is correct that you would need to be careful with the edges make sure the soft select is away from the edge and unlikely to impact on the transition between the two bits.

Also make sure you save frequently so if you stuff up you can go backwards.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Not sure if this is 100% repeatable all the time, but I've noticed sometimes when I've selected a group of faces or vertex - and then picked one of the brushes [inflate or soften], it was affecting only the area I had selected before choosing the brush.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Like Pendtraia says...

Of course, to be 100% certain that only the area of interest would be effected, you can extract that area to make a separate mesh and re-attach afterwards. You would lose any UV mapping and textures, though.

Always experiment on a copy:)