Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited September 2016

Well, howdy doody. I kept the plane small (matched the inches of the original render, which was only 5") then scaled. No distortion. Move your primitive plane back far enough so it's easy to use DOF, and there ya go. Renders SO fast. Of course, she's not throwing her shadow as that railing isn't there, so this method will need some postwork or also- is it called shadow catcher technique?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2016

Here it is, a quickie. (Lighting needs work, too dark.) Thanks Melanie!  So 3DL background, Iray figure and render. (Oops, you can see the plane edge on the left!) 

melanietest.jpg
    400 x 600 - 185K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,135

Neat!

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    edited September 2016

You all got me curious about Streets of Asia 2 last night, so I wound up buying and just started experimenting with it. But I'm really liking it a lot. I think it just needs a few textures changed and brightening up here and there, the cherry tree really looked bad to me at first, so I brightened it up a lot, maybe too much to be realistic, and I changed the bridge and a few other things, not all of them for the best, but I'm just playing around with it.

Streets of Asian 2.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by FrankTheTank on
    edited September 2016

Here's another one, and one thing I noticed is that some of the textures are not the easiest to deal with. For instance, the hanging lanterns, I wanted to make them emissives, unfortunately they're all one material zone including the string that hangs them. So as you can see the string is glowing red. I also noticed some of the window screens are the same way. Not a deal breaker, it just takes a little more work if you want to do a night scene, maing the lanterns translucent and putting point lights inside them.

Streets of Asian 2 2.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • My project for the day ended up being the transfer of those 200 Plus Morphs for Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 3 Male using the GenX2 for Genesis 3 Addon.  I transferred all of the morphs yesterday and then spent last night and today playing around with them.  For all of the side by side comparison images that I did and more details go to my laboratory thread here.  I thought I would post the side by side comparison I did of G3M and G3F with the exact same morphs dialed in on top of their respective base figures.  I found that with the transfer the morphs acted in totally unexpected ways.  The morphs are still a great addition to the G3M gene pool, but don't expect them to act exactly like they do on their G3F counterpart.

Here's another one, and one thing I noticed is that some of the textures are not the easiest to deal with. For instance, the hanging lanterns, I wanted to make them emissives, unfortunately they're all one material zone including the string that hangs them. So as you can see the string is glowing red. I also noticed some of the window screens are the same way. Not a deal breaker, it just takes a little more work if you want to do a night scene, maing the lanterns translucent and putting point lights inside them.

Good to know!  I do like it when there are separate material zones so I can use shaders- good to know about this one with the lanterns not being separated. Thanks for posting and sharing! 

Knittingmommy- they certainly did get a different result, didn't they? I read over on your thread that you tried out all the morphs- all 200 of them. Wow! Take a break gal! 

We had the neatest sunset/thunderstorm roll in, at the same time. I'll see if I can transfer a photo off my iphone and show you. 

• @Novica like your DOF Render over china town. You might add some fog with a brush right behind her to give the illusion that it is just a nice hazy day.

@DvoraszeniaStudios  Nicely done render. Particularly like the water and the lanterns.

@Knittingmommy thanks for showing those morphs. Interesting.

edited September 2016

Here's one shot. Then I was running to get my car in the garage. Didn't have any reports of hail but with this rolling in, I wasn't taking any chances. If you look close at the bottom, right corner,  you'll see gray thunderstorms coming in behind this mega one. Those were showing red  and maroon on the radar and worse than this cloud. NO enhancements on color. It was awesome! 

stormSept18.2016.jpg
    800 x 800 - 345K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • I actually miss those late summer east coast thunderstorms. I always found them very exciting. I can't say I miss the power outages though.

@Serene Night, thanks, I actually cheated the water a little. Used a Mec4D murky sapphire shader, and also used a blue spotlight to give it a little extra glow.

• Here's another one, and one thing I noticed is that some of the textures are not the easiest to deal with. For instance, the hanging lanterns, I wanted to make them emissives, unfortunately they're all one material zone including the string that hangs them. So as you can see the string is glowing red. I also noticed some of the window screens are the same way. Not a deal breaker, it just takes a little more work if you want to do a night scene, maing the lanterns translucent and putting point lights inside them.

The Geometry Editor can help with that - allowing you to break out faces into new surfaces.

• Here's another one, and one thing I noticed is that some of the textures are not the easiest to deal with. For instance, the hanging lanterns, I wanted to make them emissives, unfortunately they're all one material zone including the string that hangs them. So as you can see the string is glowing red. I also noticed some of the window screens are the same way. Not a deal breaker, it just takes a little more work if you want to do a night scene, maing the lanterns translucent and putting point lights inside them.

The Geometry Editor can help with that - allowing you to break out faces into new surfaces.

True, I use Geometry Editor all the time these days, can't really live without it.

edited September 2016

Okay, missed this the first time around (and second, third...)  

This isn't just fabrics- there is a dirt and grime option too. That got buried in the description as the description is lengthy because it's precise. (KUDOS!)  Buy it with two of the Catchup items and it's only $6.78.   See last thumbnail. (Takes a real genius to miss it in the description AND thumbs!) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Those look great. I will certainly pick those up. I find I use iray fabric shaders a lot. I'm also getting several light sets I missed the first go-round.

I also missed this one, (Lush Patterns.)  Khory does a nice job!  For you folks using 3DL who are new, Khory also has this tutorial. (Surface Settings.) Thought I'd mention it while the stores are on sale.

SereneNight- I know you like the flares/special effects- did you see/get the Easy Flare/Bokeh?  Looks cool!

@Wonderland- have you looked at this one for city street scenes?  I like the big courthouse, rather unique. I don't think other city scenes have it, and it may come in handy.

• Wow, you sure are locating some interesting products. I picked up about 100 dollars of shaders and lights I hadn't picked up before. There were still quite a few things I wanted but they will have to wait until another big sale.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited September 2016

I don't do many portraits but I was messing with skin settings and lights and did this one. She is Lillith for V4.

lillith-v4-001.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 555K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

Nice warm skin tones! I don't use V4 much to showcase things, but there are some beautiful models. Nicely done smiley

edited September 2016

Oh, I'm so ticked. A Windows update shut down my render that had been going for a couple hours overnight. Back to the drawing board. 

Oriental Breeze Pool  has delightful group setups for props, making it easy to remove things not in the viewport scene (shut the eye. Or take them completely out.)  I tested, and to reach 18% with the set fully loaded was 46 minutes vs 9 minutes 46 seconds.  If you don't have a fast computer, you simply must take things out of your scene, my computer is fast and this set is very intensive with the props. Just delightful!  (now at 31 percent at 15 minutes with props removed)  End result- about 30 minutes.

There are cameras and a day render setting and a night render setting. I really love Polish products, they give you more than your money's worth. If you get a chance to shop that store during the sale, I'd take a look. The Western town has already been showcased and is another one I really like. (And I just showed you the Millionaire Private Office.)  I bought the Mini Car Nino but haven't rendered it yet- it's so cute!

I changed the night render setting to Exposure Value 13.46, Shutter Speed 130.48, F Stop 8 and ISO 135.  Burn Highlights .36 and Crush Blacks .13  In postwork, to get the water details by that floating candle (the water was almost black there) I took out a bit of contrast and increased the shadows, that kept it dark but let some details show. 

I did test the day render settings for a minute, and don't know what I was expecting, but it does not turn off the emissive lights. 

So keep this one in mind- lovely pavilion, great water, loads of props! You can take props out easily-for instance, all the lily pads, flowers, etc- and have a regular pool. Hide the structures, hide bamboo, you name it, it's a separate prop. Groups have each item listed! (KUDOS.) 

orientalbreeze1.jpg
    800 x 635 - 523K
    orientalbreeze2.jpg
    900 x 835 - 776K
    orientalbreeze3.jpg
    800 x 573 - 440K
    Post edited by Novica on

Next up, the Mini Car Nino in Mountain Valley. It is taking awhile for the set to load. (But it just did, and wow! Neat town!!!!)  So will be back later with Nino. It's adorable!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited September 2016

Thought you might like to see a closeup. Still some work needed on the skin though.

lillith-v4M-002.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 629K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited September 2016
    Novica said:

Thanks for posting that review, definitely added to my wishlist. I have a couple Polish items and I like them a lot, the subway train and the heavy motorcyle road cruiser. One question, are there any morphs for the rolling blinds?

I'll have to check that in a little while, I'm doing a town render at the moment. But I'll definitely check! 

Fishtales said:

Thought you might like to see a closeup. Still some work needed on the skin though.

She's very pretty and the hair detail is quite lovely. I also like the glow of the eyeshadow, it's perfectly stated and not overdone.

• That pool is quite lovely. I don't know how I missed seeing that in the store as it is exactly the type of thing I love to get.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention!  :)

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Same here! I thought it was brand new, cos I've never noticed it before!  

That pool is quite lovely. I don't know how I missed seeing that in the store as it is exactly the type of thing I love to get.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention!  :)

• jakiblue said:

Same here! I thought it was brand new, cos I've never noticed it before!  

That pool is quite lovely. I don't know how I missed seeing that in the store as it is exactly the type of thing I love to get.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention!  :)

I remember seeing it when it came out, but the promo pics didn't catch my eye at the time, but Novica's renders really sold it for me.

This discussion has been closed.