Pose and animation conversion for multiple generations of DAZ figures

zaz777zaz777 Posts: 115
edited September 2016 in Freebies

In the attached ZIP file, I've included a script called SG Copy Pose Animated.dsa that uses rsg's "Updated: Daz Studio Posing Scripts (now for G3F)" available on sharecg.com.

rsg's "Fix Pose" scripts support the copying of poses as follows:

• A3 to V6 and V7
  • M4 to M5, M6 and M7
  • V4 to V5, V6 and V7
  • V6 to V7

It also includes a FixPoseGenerator.dsa script to provide support for more pairs.

My script automatically determines the name of the script, given rsg's naming convention, and then either runs that script on the two selected figures for the current frame or the entire animation range.

The attached ZIP file includes a README, the script and its icon.

The basic instructions for using my script are:

1. Load an older figure, if necessary.
  2. Animate the older figure in some fashion (poses, animated poses, aniblocks, etc.).
  3. Load a newer figure, if necessary.
  4. Click on the older figure, the animation/pose source.
  5. CONTROL click on the newer figure, the animation/pose target.
  6. Launch the SG Copy Pose Animated.dsa script.

You may also be able to take animations/poses from newer figures to older figures, but rsg didn't provide scripts and I had no need so didn't try to generate the scripts for testing.

Post edited by zaz777 on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Wow, thanks!

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921
    edited August 2016
    zaz777 said:

In the attached ZIP file, I've included a script called SG Copy Pose Animated.dsa that uses rsg's "Updated: Daz Studio Posing Scripts (now for G3F)" available on sharecg.com.

• A3 to V6 and V6
    • M4 to M5, M6 and M7
    • V4 to V5, V6 and V7
    • V6 to V7

It also includes a FixPoseGenerator.dsa script to provide support for more pairs.

My script automatically determines the name of the script, given rsg's naming convention, and then either runs that script on the two selected figures for the current frame or the entire animation range.

2. Animate the older figure in some fashion (poses, animated poses, aniblocks, etc.).

You may also be able to take animations/poses from newer figures to older figures, but rsg didn't provide scripts and I had no need so didn't try to generate the scripts for testing.

Well, this is cool! Very generous of you!

Holy crap, I love the care given to the documentation, this takes this freebie to a higher quality than most!

Thanks for sharing!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762
    edited August 2016
    Am I to understand that this will retarget animation from earlier figures to Genesis 3 as well??.. even the Genesis 3 male??
    Post edited by wolf359 on
  • zaz777zaz777 Posts: 115

Thanks guys.  rsg did the heavy lifting, I just made it a bit easier to use and extended the functionality to animation, but I could only do so as easily as I did because the rsg's original design was decent.

@wolf359 Yes, you understand correctly.  I've used my script, along with the rsg scripts, to convert pz2 animated poses from Victoria 3 to both Genesis 2 Female and Genesis 3 Female.  I've also converted aniblocks, like some of the Catwalk Construciton Kit from Victoria 4 to Genesis 3 Female.  I converted some male poses as well, I think they were some Michael 4 poses and Michael 3, poses and animated poses put on Michael 4, to Genesis 2 Male.

I think rsg released his/her scripts prior to Genesis 3 Male's release, so there aren't any "Fix Pose" scripts for Genesis 3 Male in the zip file available on sharecg.com.  I used the rsg's FixPoseGenerator.dsa script to make some "Fix Pose" scripts targetting Genesis 3 Male, but not very good ones.  They work, but some obvious problems with them, so I didn't include them in my zip file.

• unLight865unLight865 Posts: 95
    edited September 2016

Nice, thanks smiley .

But something seems a litle off in the description:

zaz777 said:

• A3 to V6 and V6

... should one of those "V" 's eventually be an "A" or "M" ??

Post edited by unLight865 on

Nice, thanks smiley .

You're welcome.

But something seems a litle off in the description:

zaz777 said:

• A3 to V6 and V6

... should one of those "V" 's eventually be an "A" or "M" ??

Maybe, smiley.

I stuck with rsg's naming convention.  I assume that A3 stands for Aiko (the original I believe) from the 3rd generation.  Aiko/A3 was quite popular with many people, although I wasn't messing around with DAZ models at that time.

For generation 4 or later, rsg named everything based on the generation of Victoria and Michael.  That's why there aren't any G3F, G2F or G2M scripts as they are named V7, V6 and M6.  I'm not sure why rsg used what appears to be the Aiko label for generation 3 and just assume that rsg is either a fan of Aiko, thought that Aiko was more popular than Victoria 3 or only had Aiko available for the 3rd generation.

I did a quick stab at using the FixPoseGenerator.dsa script to create Victoria3 (V3) to G2F and G3F scripts and found them to be a little off because I didn't spend enough time matching up the bone orientations for the script to work as well as it can.

I then tried using the A3 scripts provided by rsg and they worked better than my one poor attempt at making V3 Fix Pose scripts.  In fact, in the few number of cases I tried, I felt the A3 to G2F and G3F scripts were close enough to work with for converting both poses and animations for the few Victoria 3 samples I have, so I stopped working on making V3 specific scripts.

If one needed more precise pose and animation conversion from V3 to G2F and G3F, one could use the FixPoseGenerator.dsa script to make V3 scripts.  I'm not sure it is worth it as pose and animation conversion is very rarely 100%.  I was pretty happy with the V3 converted poses and animations as the results were very useable with a few quick fixes, so I didn't put any more time into making "better" V3 Fix Pose scripts for my own use.

• ...?

I just wanted to point out a duplicate that didn't seem to make sense ( why mention the same thing twice? ) - The naming-convention wasn't the problem there, or so I think... *?*

•  

zaz777 said:

• A3 to V6 and V6
    • M4 to M5, M6 and M7
    • V4 to V5, V6 and V7
    • V6 to V7

Just gave this a quick G2 to G3. Worked beautifully and intuitively. 

Thank you so much for sharing!

A note for other users, on the SCApps install folder (I realize now people install scripts to different script folders)

First I installed SGApps to my usual DazStudio4/Scripts/ , in the same script directory with zaz777's script folder

That didn't work. 

Then I copied the SGApps to My Daz 3D Library/scripts/ , works!

Cheers...

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited September 2016

G2 purple, G3 orange red

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762
    edited September 2016

This gives me better results than the Commercial script  in the store that offers this conversion.cool

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited September 2016

G3's infamous skating feet seem to travel less post conversion indeed

And amazingly non-fiddly workflow too!

Post edited by Mythmaker on

...?

I just wanted to point out a duplicate that didn't seem to make sense ( why mention the same thing twice? ) - The naming-convention wasn't the problem there, or so I think... *?*

Sorry, I misread your post.  You are correct.  that line should have read "A3 to V6 and V7."

wolf359 said:

This gives me better results the the Commercial script  in the store that offers this conversion.cool

Yeah, rsg did a good job of making the scripts my script uses.

I get very good results if I convert a pose with my script, or directly with rsg's scripts, via the copy method (having both the source and target figures loaded and selected).  I get OK results if I just run rsg's scripts on a character that an older generation pose have been applied to.

One tip for everyone, in case it was missed.  There are some shortcuts for use of my script.  If you hold CONTROL when you launch the script, it bypasses the script window and converts the pose for the current frame.  If you hold SHIFT when you launch the script, it bypasses the script window and converts an animation for the entire animation range.

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

This is just awesome!  Thanks so much for this!

• fleetppfleetpp Posts: 199

Please accept my apologies if I'm asking a stupid noob question. 

I downloaded the sgapps-posing-scripts.zip and installed it, and downloaded and installed 4f2081e11d6376813a93c388e7bb1c.zip

I tried to copy a pose from DAZ The Girl (not Girl 4 but to earlier version) to Victoria 4.2. 

I keep getting an error message that says 

Copy Pose Script ''Scripts/SGApps/Posing/Fix Pose UNSET-V4'.{dsa,dsb,dse} was not found. 

I did a search of my computer and did not find any files named UNSET-V4

Is that something I have to make myself? 

I'm using DAZ 4.9 (64 bit)

edited September 2016

I think "The Girl" is a generation 3 figure, but I could be wrong.  As delivered, neither my script, nor rsg's scripts, specifically support The Girl.

If you have the pose(s) or animation(s) and Aiko or Victoria 3, you could try applying them to one of those models and then try copying.  That would be your simplest option.

If that doesn't work for you, you could make a small change to my script to force it to use the A3 scripts provided by rsg.  To do this, you need to add an element to the figToName array.  How well it works would depend on how close the skeleton of The Girl is to the skeleton of the original Aiko.

In my SG Copy Pose Animated.dsa script, starting at line 58, you'll see the figToName array:

var figToName = [  [ "blAiko3_72712", "A3", 3 ],
                       [ "blMilWom_v3_72712", "A3", 3],    // Not a perfect match, but seems to work.
                       [ "blMilMan_m3_72712", "M3", 3],
                       [ "blMilWom_v4b_68498", "V4", 4 ],
                       [ "blMilMan_m4b_68498", "M4", 4 ],

If you add a line below the first line, that should provide support for The Girl using the A3 scripts:

[ "blGirl_57720", "A3", 3],    // Treat The Girl the same as Victoria 3

You would be adding the line containing blGirl_57720 as shown above.

I don't have any poses or animations that I'm aware of that are specifically made for The Girl, so I can't really test how well this will convert the poses/animations.  If you correctly make the change I describe above, it should function, but the results may or may not be satisfactory.

Post edited by zaz777 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

It was contemporaneous with the 3rd generation figures, but wasn't derived from the same mesh.

• fleetppfleetpp Posts: 199
    edited September 2016
    zaz777 said:

I think "The Girl" is a generation 3 figure, but I could be wrong.  As delivered, neither my script, nor rsg's scripts, specifically support The Girl.

If you have the pose(s) or animation(s) and Aiko or Victoria 3, you could try applying them to one of those models and then try copying.  That would be your simplest option.

If that doesn't work for you, you could make a small change to my script to force it to use the A3 scripts provided by rsg.  To do this, you need to add an element to the figToName array.  How well it works would depend on how close the skeleton of The Girl is to the skeleton of the original Aiko.

In my SG Copy Pose Animated.dsa script, starting at line 58, you'll see the figToName array:

If you add a line below the first line, that should provide support for The Girl using the A3 scripts:

[ "blGirl_57720", "A3", 3],    // Treat The Girl the same as Victoria 3

You would be adding the line containing blGirl_57720 as shown above.

I don't have any poses or animations that I'm aware of that are specifically made for The Girl, so I can't really test how well this will convert the poses/animations.  If you correctly make the change I describe above, it should function, but the results may or may not be satisfactory.

Thank you for responding. I'll try the first solution first.

EDIT: When I tried the first method (applying the Girl pose to Aiko3, and then using the script to copy it to V4, I received this error message.

Copy Pose Script ''Scripts/SGApps/Posing/Fix Pose A3-V4'.{dsa,dsb,dse} was not found.

I did a search of my hard drive and I do not have that file. sad

I'll try applying the pose to V3, then copy to V4 later today.

EDIT 2:  When I applied the pose to Victoria 3 and then tried to copy to Victoria 4 I received this error

Copy Pose Script ''Scripts/SGApps/Posing/Fix Pose UNSET-V4'.{dsa,dsb,dse} was not found.

I'll try editing the script later. sad

EDIT 3: I edited the script, applied the pose to The Girl, loaded Victoria 4.2, then ran the script.  

I received this error message.

Copy Pose Script ''Scripts/SGApps/Posing/Fix Pose A3-V4'.{dsa,dsb,dse} was not found.

EDIT 4: I feel so dumb. I just directly applied the pose to Victoria 4 (without using the script). The figure accepted the pose, but it required adjusting the arms and legs.

Never mind.  

Post edited by fleetpp on
  • zaz777 said:

Maybe, smiley.

I stuck with rsg's naming convention.  I assume that A3 stands for Aiko (the original I believe) from the 3rd generation.  Aiko/A3 was quite popular with many people, although I wasn't messing around with DAZ models at that time.

For generation 4 or later, rsg named everything based on the generation of Victoria and Michael.  That's why there aren't any G3F, G2F or G2M scripts as they are named V7, V6 and M6.  I'm not sure why rsg used what appears to be the Aiko label for generation 3 and just assume that rsg is either a fan of Aiko, thought that Aiko was more popular than Victoria 3 or only had Aiko available for the 3rd generation.

I did a quick stab at using the FixPoseGenerator.dsa script to create Victoria3 (V3) to G2F and G3F scripts and found them to be a little off because I didn't spend enough time matching up the bone orientations for the script to work as well as it can.

I then tried using the A3 scripts provided by rsg and they worked better than my one poor attempt at making V3 Fix Pose scripts.  In fact, in the few number of cases I tried, I felt the A3 to G2F and G3F scripts were close enough to work with for converting both poses and animations for the few Victoria 3 samples I have, so I stopped working on making V3 specific scripts.

If one needed more precise pose and animation conversion from V3 to G2F and G3F, one could use the FixPoseGenerator.dsa script to make V3 scripts.  I'm not sure it is worth it as pose and animation conversion is very rarely 100%.  I was pretty happy with the V3 converted poses and animations as the results were very useable with a few quick fixes, so I didn't put any more time into making "better" V3 Fix Pose scripts for my own use.

Thanks so much for offering these pose conversion scripts for free! I have many beautiful poses for V3 by schlabber and cascarda that your A3 > V7/G3F script converted very well. I only had to tweak hands where they were touching the body and toe bends. Anyone who is trying to convert V3 poses can use the A3 > G3F script with minor post-scripting adjustments.

--MW

fleetpp said:
    Thank you for responding. I'll try the first solution first.

EDIT: When I tried the first method (applying the Girl pose to Aiko3, and then using the script to copy it to V4, I received this error message.

I did a search of my hard drive and I do not have that file. sad

Unfortunately, rsg didn't include that script, i.e. Fix Pose A3-V4.dsa, in the zip file.  You could make one using the FixPoseGenerator.dsa script by following the instructions in the PDF file included in rsg's zip.

As you appear to have found out though, the differences between the generation 3 and generation 4 skeletons are small enough that you can get good results just applying the poses or animations directly on them.

fleetpp said:

I'll try applying the pose to V3, then copy to V4 later today.

EDIT 2:  When I applied the pose to Victoria 3 and then tried to copy to Victoria 4 I received this error

It is strange that you're getting an UNSET when using Victoria 3.

fleetpp said:

I'll try editing the script later. sad

EDIT 3: I edited the script, applied the pose to The Girl, loaded Victoria 4.2, then ran the script.  

I received this error message.

If you're seeing that message, then it is likely that you didn't install the SGApps/rsg scripts to the default location.  When installing the rsg scripts from the sgapps-posing-scripts.zip file (downloaded from sharecg), you need to unzip the Scripts directory into your My Library directory.  If you want to install them to a different place, you should edit my script and change the value of the copyScriptName variable on line 30.

fleetpp said:

EDIT 4: I feel so dumb. I just directly applied the pose to Victoria 4 (without using the script). The figure accepted the pose, but it required adjusting the arms and legs.

Been there, done that, smiley.    Glad to see you've found a solution.

It was contemporaneous with the 3rd generation figures, but wasn't derived from the same mesh.

Thanks for the clarification.  I was too lazy to try to find that history of DAZ figures posted to the forum awhile back, smiley.

Thanks so much for offering these pose conversion scripts for free! I have many beautiful poses for V3 by schlabber and cascarda that your A3 > V7/G3F script converted very well. I only had to tweak hands where they were touching the body and toe bends. Anyone who is trying to convert V3 poses can use the A3 > G3F script with minor post-scripting adjustments.

--MW

You're welcome.  I'm happy people are finding this useful.

BTW, is it possible to rename the ZIP file I attached ?  The original name of the file was SG Copy Pose Animated 0.0.1.zip, but it got converted to a hash or UUID on upload.

• thanks allot this will vastly improve daz that is where I think they really dropped the ball in limiting what you can do with animation I mean there is way tow few aniblocks for all of the genesis figures if there no support then they need to focus development that way instead of coming out with 100 new character figures which could be done with morphs like the v4 figure did they nee to focus on coming out with ways to us these figures

• Does this script work with single poses or just animated blocks?

Does this script work with single poses or just animated blocks?

Both single frame poses and multiple frame poses/animations are supported.  When you run the script, by default, a dialog box is shown allowing you to choose converting the pose for the current frame or for the entire animation range.

You can also use the SHIFT (entire animation range) or CONTROL (current frame only) shortcuts when launching the script to cause the script to do the conversion without showing the dialog box.

• I'm sure this is the perfect solution and like to say thanks in advance!

But this path issue with SGApps really drives me crazy. I can't get this to work. So if anybody could tell me the correct notation for the SGApps pathstring for the ZAZ script line 30 for the following path:

Macintosh HD / Users / User / DAZ3D / Scripts

(I know it reads quiet dumb and in fact I'm a former Pascal, Flash and JS programmer, but I'm currently lost....sad

Thanks for help!

• edited February 2017

Ok, problem solved. It was not a path issue. I simply did not realize there is no M4 - M7 script at the moment.

Works amazing cool with V4 - V7

Thanks to anybody who made and still makes this effort! yes

Post edited by thanhart_a1b5f80b9b on
  • TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Ok, problem solved. It was not a path issue. I simply did not realize there is no M4 - M7 script at the moment.

Works amazing cool with V4 - V7

Thanks to anybody who made and still makes this effort! yes

I think Zazz's script supports m4-m7. If it isn't provided in the dependency (SGApps), you could probably just copy V4-V7 and rename it to M4-M7. I think I had to do it for one set of conversions and it worked pretty good.

• FossilFossil Posts: 166

This is brilliant zaz, thank you.

Your documentation demonstrates (again) that free is more often than not, significantly better than the purchased stuff.  People working for purely altruistic reasons have their heart in it.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

what a nice and helpful script

thank you

• BopperthijsBopperthijs Posts: 14
    edited February 2017

This is really a great script, like said before even better than the commercial products. I spent the whole weekend to convert my homemade V4-poses to V7 (over 200) and besides from some small adjustements, they look fantastic.I have also begun to convert some old V3-poses to V7 and that also looks very promising.

There are some issues; sometimes I get a very distorted V7 with holes in the geometry, but I found out that the script doesn't like very big negative numbers (mostly in the hip rotation settings) by changing those settings to positive and some tweeking I can avoid that problem.

I spent hours and hours on my old V4 poses, so I am very happy with this. Great job! When I'm finished I will post a nice set of V7 poses on ShareGC.

Post edited by Bopperthijs on