Restrict lighting to

Marmalade BoyMarmalade Boy Posts: 103
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi there,

Does anyone know if it's possible to do light linking in Daz studio 4.5? I Googled it and could only find something called "Restrict lighting to" but that was in version 3 I believe. I could not find that option in 4.5 nor any mention of it in the document center.

My issue is, I've set up a nice lighting effect that gives the costume a textured look by manipulating the lighting options but I don't want it on the figure.

This is my second attempt at rendering something in DAZ. I've fooled around with it but I have never really produced anything. I would like to finish this off then start working on the background.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I have used DS2, 3A,4 and 4.5 and I have never seen a function for stopping light on different objects. Bryce for example can.

But I am open to be corrected.

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

Your best bet for something like that would be to do 2 separate renders with the lighting set for each piece individually and then blend the 2 in an image editor afterwards.

My personal advice is to beware of blending 2 different lights/shadows in 1 render, you really want to make sure that you don't end up with unrealistic looking shadows. I'm guessing in this case though what you're trying to do is just tone down the shadows on the model himself and that's probably going to be fairly doable without things looking too "off".

• Marmalade BoyMarmalade Boy Posts: 103
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the response Szark.

adacey,

I am not trying to tone down the shadows. I just want the shading rate to be different on the costume than on the skin. Right now, I have it set to 1 but for the skin, I want it set to .010...which will give me a very clean render without the little specks/black dots.

I found a tutorial (From Renders to Layers) in the Documentation Center...I think this will solve my issues.

Thank you both for responding.

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the response Szark.

adacey,

I am not trying to tone down the shadows. I just want the shading rate to be different on the costume than on the skin. Right now, I have it set to 1 but for the skin, I want it set to .010...which will give me a very clean render without the little specks/black dots.

I found a tutorial (From Renders to Layers) in the Documentation Center...I think this will solve my issues.

Thank you both for responding.

Ah, gotcha. So it's more of an issue of trying to save yourself from the render time hit than anything.