DAZ Studio 4 is Horrible

Comments

• edited December 1969

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to re-download DAZ Studio 4.5 and try your suggestions.

• edited December 1969

Darchind said:
    Thanks, everyone. I'm going to re-download DAZ Studio 4.5 and try your suggestions.

Wouldn't bother I tried 3 times same thing.

• edited December 1969

I spoke too quickly about Studio 3 working.
    Since I uninstalled the CMS I get "fatal error" crashes all the time now.

4.5 didn't crash it froze which is why looking at the crash log doesn't do any good. Its was different each time.

Taking out the CMS made it speed up for a while then it crashed again.
    Re instaling the CMS made no difference

It can happen at any time. During loading a prop or switching from "content" to "parameters" or "scene" or when panning around a scene.

The camera motion was jerky and un controllable. It would stop and freeze or just jump to a front perspective view and lock up.

I didn't merge content from C with 4.5. They were in seperate folders. Studio3/content for 3 and Studio/library for 4

Anyway now 3 is screwed up too. I'm going to have to re - install that again if I want to even use my legacy content.

I didn't know you could "return" product.
    I'll have to check that out. I really don't need this Genesis stuff if 4.5 isn't going to work.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

TAW1 said:
    I spoke too quickly about Studio 3 working.
    Since I uninstalled the CMS I get "fatal error" crashes all the time now.

4.5 didn't crash it froze which is why looking at the crash log doesn't do any good. Its was different each time.

Taking out the CMS made it speed up for a while then it crashed again.
    Re instaling the CMS made no difference

It can happen at any time. During loading a prop or switching from "content" to "parameters" or "scene" or when panning around a scene.

The camera motion was jerky and un controllable. It would stop and freeze or just jump to a front perspective view and lock up.

I didn't merge content from C with 4.5. They were in seperate folders. Studio3/content for 3 and Studio/library for 4

Anyway now 3 is screwed up too. I'm going to have to re - install that again if I want to even use my legacy content.

I didn't know you could "return" product.
    I'll have to check that out. I really don't need this Genesis stuff if 4.5 isn't going to work.

Most of that sure sounds like machine/OS/other running application problems to me...and NOT DS.

Most security software is over-zealous and unless configured specifically tends to cause problems for programs that rely on running servers. CMS runs a server. With many security suites at least SOME configuration is necessary to allow it to run completely trouble free.

Also, the CMS cache, by default is set to 10MB...which can be too small if you have a lot of content. That tends to slow things down, a lot. The cache can be changed in the ini file.

Also, several of the 'problems' suggest lack of memory. This can be either system or video card...while rendering relies on the CPU and system RAM, the viewport relies on the video card. The slow response to actions (including the 'freeze') can be because of running out of video memory. They can also be driver related. OpenGL is controlled/installed by video drivers...Nvidia and AMD discreet video cards have the least problems. Intel Graphics, onboard video...the most to nearly unusable. While the specs may say lesser amounts...to get and maintain decent viewport response, especially at higher video resolutions at LEAST 1 GB of video memory is needed.

• edited December 1969

Its an older quad core Athlon
    with 8 gigs of ram
    and a geforce 9600 card,

I installed all the drivers etc just before I started this project because I knew that might be an issue.

There is about 16 gigs of content in in studio 3's content file.

I don't know if that is a lot or not. As I said I've been a "user" since about 04.

4.5 had next to nothing since I'd just installed the brand new stuff I'd bought this last month.

I didn't know I had to reset a cache or turn off part of my anti virus.

I'm just using Avast anti virus that's it.

I guess I'll stop bitching re-install 3 and hope it works.

This is taking too much time and there don't seem to be any answers.

edited December 1969

If you had the CMS looking at the DS3 content, then 16 gigs may have been pushing it for the 10MB default cache.

The quad and 8 gigs SHOULD not be having that many difficulties..

Sorry...but the 9600 may be a lot of the problem. It is limited in a number of the OpenGL features it supports. Especially if its a 512 MB version.

The minimum spec for 4.5 is a OpenGL 1.6 128MB card...yeah, you may get a viewport to show, but it will probably be sometime next week to move around a scene (redraw in the viewport). The 'recommended' card is a OpenGL 2.2, 512 MB card...which in the 'computer speak of 'gamers' means 'that's the minimum card to get you to medium settings'. Your 9600 is an OpenGL 2.1 card...

It was a good card, a few years ago. It may fit the 'supported cards' criteria, but really it just barely does. And some of the problems sound suspiciously like video RAM related. I've seen more than one card from that era start having vram problems, before they completely die and throw a multicolored pixelated mess on the screen instead of a readable GUI. Some of those type of errors are random freezes with NO crash, just stopping of all graphics functions (sometimes if there is audio, it will continue as normal or go into a loop). Also, they are a fairly power hungry card and performance will degrade if the power supply is not up to it...and power supplies degrade over time. A 400W power supply was the minimum recommended supply for that card.

• edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    If you had the CMS looking at the DS3 content, then 16 gigs may have been pushing it for the 10MB default cache.

Sorry...but the 9600 may be a lot of the problem. It is limited in a number of the OpenGL features it supports. Especially if its a 512 MB version.

The minimum spec for 4.5 is a OpenGL 1.6 128MB card...yeah, you may get a viewport to show, but it will probably be sometime next week to move around a scene (redraw in the viewport). The 'recommended' card is a OpenGL 2.2, 512 MB card...which in the 'computer speak of 'gamers' means 'that's the minimum card to get you to medium settings'. Your 9600 is an OpenGL 2.1 card...

It was a good card, a few years ago. It may fit the 'supported cards' criteria, but really it just barely does. And some of the problems sound suspiciously like video RAM related. I've seen more than one card from that era start having vram problems, before they completely die and throw a multicolored pixelated mess on the screen instead of a readable GUI. Some of those type of errors are random freezes with NO crash, just stopping of all graphics functions (sometimes if there is audio, it will continue as normal or go into a loop). Also, they are a fairly power hungry card and performance will degrade if the power supply is not up to it...and power supplies degrade over time. A 400W power supply was the minimum recommended supply for that card.

I never had daz crash on me daz 4.o worked just fine for me until the updates started coming out then things started getting screwed up daz 3 worked fine. So I know its not my machine acting up its mainly daz the duf files need to be takin out and the other format brought back due to lack of compatability. I can do a poll to see how many people are having this problem which im sure a lot are and daz just wants to ignore it.

edited December 1969

If I can get it to run under WINE, in Linux with less problems and fewer crashes/errors than DS3 EVER did/does...I'd say it's not 4.5. I've had about 8 crashes in 4.5...two were out of memory (one of those was accidental, the second was intentional...to see how much it took to bring on the first one), one was CMS related, three were very repeatable and very specific...applying a certain shader preset to a certain surface on a certain product resulted in a crash. Apply a different one or the first one on a different surface...no problem. The other two, I don't know...as they occurred when my kids were using the machine...so they could have been anything. I had initial problems with 4.5...but they were NOT problems with the program, so much as they were configuration/system problems (one of the big ones...I did NOT uninstall the CMS before moving from 4 to 4.5). Once I took care of those DS has been near flawless.

Between 4.0 and 4.5.1.6 there have been somewhere around a dozen updates (maybe more, I lost count and not going to look it up) to the 3Delight core. Many of those were to fix specific problems, some were improvements. The 3Delight change log is a mile and a half long...but all those changes did not come 'free'. Yes, 3Delight may be 'faster' in some areas, but overall, it's more demanding of system resources than the plain vanilla version originally shipped with 4.0.

The same with some of the actual fixes in the DS core app...I can think of at least one, that would cause more intensive use/demand more from the system being fixed than being broken.

The duf file format...what is it supposed to be compatible with? 4.5.1.6...

There is a problem with morph files made using the Blender import/export scripts by millghost. But, that's more of the fact that those scripts are not writing 100% compliant files. Guess what...4.5 is actually pickier about that...it's disallowing certain things based on the fact that they aren't actually following the protocols. You can get the morph to work once, without having to play around with it. When that happens, use the built in tools to save it...that corrects the problems and writes the standards compliant format/file. By actually adhering to the standards, 4.5 may seem less compatible, but it's actually not...it's nipping shoddy work, in the bud, so to speak. For maximum stability and long term 'cleanliness' they could have prevented 4.5 from acknowledging ANY previous format, except raw geometry and texture files...

For kicks and giggles...if you are having major problems with saving things in it...try saving them as uncompressed (most of the various save options have the compressed files option). Because it could very well be, your file compression libraries, system wide, have problems.

Besides...has Puppeteer EVER worked, 100% in ANY version of DS?

• edited December 1969

Um actually puppeteer has run perfectly in all my previous versions leading up to this version its when they changed to duf format is when everything went all screwed eyed. I can't even use it now no point since I can't save my work or anything.

• edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Well That explains everything.
    My pc is a worn out old piece of crap.

It is four years old after all.

The 8 gigs of ram is probably not "gamer" ram since I really just got it to run things like Daz, Carrara and Photoshop back then.
    The Ge 9600 card was almost out of date when I bought it but was best I could afford at the time.

I was wondering if increasing the ram to 16 gigs might help but I'm guessing a new video card would make more of a difference. Assuming I can find one with the required specs that would fit my old motherboard and that i can afford. i suspect even that wouldn't solve all the problems since there is probably something I'm still missing in that suggested upgrade.

The power source is either 750 watts or a 1000 but I don't know for sure w/out taking it apart.

Daz 4.5 just isn't designed to run on a four year old pc with minimum specs.
    I gotcha.

I wish someone would have said that *first* and saved me all this time.

I'm going to return that genesis stuff cancel the platinum account and start saving for a new comp.
    Should take a year or two and I'm sure Daz will be up to 5.5 by then.
    In the meantime I'll just use Daz 3 on this ol' piece of junk.

Thanks for the help. I guess I should have suspected something like that I've gotten complacent about what used to be a decent computer being able to handle anything.

Now I realize its just been my old, out of date hardware causing the problem all along
    Sorry.

edited October 2012

TAW1 said:

The 8 gigs of ram is probably not "gamer" ram since I really just got it to run things like Daz, Carrara and Photoshop back then.
    The Ge 9600 card was almost out of date when I bought it but was best I could afford at the time.

Thanks for the help. I guess I should have suspected something like that I've gotten complacent about what used to be a decent computer being able to handle anything.

Now I realize its just been my old, out of date hardware causing the problem all along
    Sorry.

I'm running on a 5-6 yr old machine with 4 GB...

What I did, a bit over 1 yr ago, is swap out the video card from a 7000 series to a 430 GT for less than $100...and that by itself cured a lot of other, non-DS problems and probably prevented a boatload of DS ones...

This one, to be exact...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130695

It's also less power hungry than the 9600...runs very well with a 550W PSU...

'Gamer' RAM is usually only a little faster and not noticeably any different, except in intense battle sequences...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    TAW1 said:

Sorry.

I'm running on a 5-6 yr old machine with 4 GB...

What I did, a bit over 1 yr ago, is swap out the video card from a 7000 series to a 430 GT for less than $100...and that by itself cured a lot of other, non-DS problems and probably prevented a boatload of DS ones...

This one, to be exact...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130695

It's also less power hungry than the 9600...runs very well with a 550W PSU...

'Gamer' RAM is usually only a little faster and not noticeably any different, except in intense battle sequences...

OK.
    I was looking at two gig cards by Radeon and Nvidia and their prices for the last hour or so and wondering where I could scare up two or three hundred dollars for those. Then another hundred and fifty for four 4 gig strips of DDR3 ram. At least the ram is fairly cheap. Still for such an upgrade i'd have to wait a while to be able to afford it.

Then i wondered if my cpu wasn't fast enough since it's only 2.60 GHz.
    I did get 4;5 to render a couple of times. When i watched the resource monitor it showed the cpu redlined at 100%. I don't know if that is significant.

From what I have been reading about the GeForce 9600 I do need a new video card and if I can solve the problems with something under a hundred dollars that would be great so I'll try that first.

I guess I'll get back to you when i can find one and install it.

Then re-install 4.5 etc etc...That should take a couple of weeks at least.

Thanks for all your help.

• edited December 1969

Its daz period it is broken why can't they just admit it and move on to fix it.

edited December 1969

shadowl said:
    Its daz period it is broken why can't they just admit it and move on to fix it.

IF it was so broken it would not run very well in WINE. WINE tends to be rather brutal with poorly made/broken software. Things that can slip by in Windows don't in WINE. WINE, unlike Windows, tries very hard to stick to the standards/protocols that MS itself has made. There are way too many Windows apps that don't, but they still work in Windows.

I have a 'problem' with DS4.5 taking about 5 minutes to open...but I have pretty much ruled out that it is an actual problem with DS. It looks like it is problem with the specific build of the Qt4gui.dll included and my system. I just haven't felt the need to go set up a build environment needed to do a Windows build of Qt, from source, to test out my current working theory. I have replaced all the Qt components with an earlier version and it starts about normal, except there are required functions that are not present in that version of Qt and the end result is a less than functioning DS (it basically gets to fully loaded, including all the content but crashes at the first dialog box call because the older Qt4gui is missing something needed by the most recent build of DS...and no, I don't really care what it is, so I'm not going to spend any time debugging that one).

I've sifted through enough bug reports on the Qt pages to see that this specific problem has plagued Qt4, on and off, since Qt4 was released. It spans a huge variety of software, is definitely build specific AND almost always limited to a few systems. It is almost always cured by either the next update to Qt with the 'plain vanilla' build or rebuilding Qt on the affected system. Most likely it is more of a configuration problem than anything else.

Is that DAZ's fault? Is it their problem? No and maybe...if it was more common, I'd say more than maybe.

Is it a 'deal breaker'? No.

Is it something I'd like to have fixed, without doing it myself? Hell, yeah.

• edited December 1969

Still. wouldn't it be nice. I mean really really nice. If Daz just continued to support the 3 versions and keep them up to date? I think there would be fewer nasty posts in the forums. People would care less about the flaws in 4 if Daz continued to support 3.
    Maybe Daz should hold a referendum.
    Who has used Daz since 2005 and loved it and still wants them to support and update active versions of 3 in parallel with 4.

Hands up!

Who will ditch Daz completely if they stick with this idiotic "stand by their guns" policy of supporting buggy unworkable software designed by a stubborn board of directors with complete disregard to community input.

Hands up!

• edited December 1969

"designed" was the wrong word..maybe it was designed by the own's kid brother or something.
    I mean "supported" by a stubborn board of directors regardless of community input.

• edited December 1969

But the whole Daz 4 thing especially 4.5 is being revealed more and more to be what it is. A scam to get you to buy seriously overpriced and redundant Genesis crap.
    I've yet to see a render done with a Genesis model that was any more interesting than one done with a V4.
    Especially if that render was done in Poser.
    Daz really doesn't care if Studio 4.5 works or not as long as you spend spend spend on Genesis crap that will - in the end - look no different than your V4s depending on what program you are using to render it in.
    Since you probably postwork a lot like I do that's a non issue anyway.
    The potential for searching that the meta data offered was interesting ..but useless for the massive amount of legacy content I have and which most longtime users have anyway.
    The Content Directory Manager was - and is - invasive.
    Just Daz's way to invade my hard drive in an attempt to protect their content.
    I don't begrudge them that considering the amount of piracy they must have suffered over the years.
    But other companies are invasive without slowing my system to a crawl while they do it.
    For the most part I think Daz are counting on people just not complaining that the emperor has no clothes. Most newbs will just assume they don't have the chops
    to figure out the awesome Daz "Pro" and many others will be justifiably confused by its roccoco interface.
    Daz has thrown us long time users to the wolves.
    I've said it in my blogs...said it in my DA group...said it to my friends.
    Its the truth.
    They don't even have the decency to retain a legacy version of a Daz Studio 3 for download,
    Well of *course* not..
    No one in their right mind would use Daz 4 anything if a current Daz 3 was available.
    That would mean they wouldn't have to buy the snake oil Genesis crap.

• edited December 1969

Oh yeah...and sounding resentful...My version of Daz Studio3 Pro cost me. Not to mention the plugins like "hand grip" which *also* cost me. The shaders which I used a lot which are now useless because the vendors signed off when Daz made the leap from 3 to 4.
    Thanks a lot Daz.
    Yeah...I have axes to grind.

• edited December 1969

Advanced Edition...*not* Pro...hell I was still charged for it...I'll quit ranting.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

Addressing the only factual claim there, the Content Management Service has nothing to do with and would not be suitable for fighting content piracy. It is intended and designed to be useful to users - though I agree that it doesn't suit every user (I don't use it, though I let it run).

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Microsoft should still have 3.1 available for download. It got the job done. Nobody needs the bells and whistles of 95, 98, XP, Vista, Windows7, and most certainly not Windows8. It's just a ploy to force users to spend more money on their programs and new computers.

• edited October 2012

Interesting thread. I've re-lurked here for a while after a couple of years having ditched DazStudio and returned to Poser , then come back to see what the genesis fuss is all about. Oddly enough I always found Poser clunky with its ridiculously over-sized and arcane controls and interface, but actually i get work done more quickly than I probably ever will in Studio. I'm sure there are many who feel the opposite, but both products are in need of some really intelligent thought on the interfaces and processes with a view to making everything work better and more efficiently. If there is one thing that stands in the way of creativity it's computers and software.

That is not a whole lot different from mixing paints but the latter is somehow more satisfying.

But what irks me is that despite the apparent sophistication of progress on the Studio/poser front it is an undeniable observation that 90% of the output as illustrated here and at renderosity is very similar to that from 5 years ago....thousands of doll-like anorexic figures with pursed lips!!! And if you go to youtube looking for a video of a FINISHED piece of animation work from Poser, DaZStudio or iClone you'll be disappointed. The best you'll get is a "test" animation of a gorky figure walking like a drunk for three seconds, or a mocap sample of a five second looped dance move. 3d technology for the masses is very, very primitive and it shows! Still...it can be fun.

Post edited by rob-young_652bf24516 on
  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

leonardis said:
    But what irks me is that despite the apparent sophistication of progress on the Studio/poser front it is an undeniable observation that 90% of the output as illustrated here and at renderosity is very similar to that from 5 years ago....thousands of doll-like anorexic figures with pursed lips!!!n.

I think you're mixing up a things here :D What is technologically possible and what people want to see / create are two very different things :D

As long as people like "doll-like anorexic figures with pursed lips" they'll create them, even when we upload those pictures directly into our brains. Even when DAZ Studio gets a manual.

• edited December 1969

Barubary said:

I think you're mixing up a things here :D What is technologically possible and what people want to see / create are two very different things :D

As long as people like "doll-like anorexic figures with pursed lips" they'll create them, even when we upload those pictures directly into our brains. Even when DAZ Studio gets a manual.

Sure. But that might be at least partly due to 3d consumer software having a sameness look about them which you can spot a mile away.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

leonardis said:
    ...but both products are in need of some really intelligent thought on the interfaces and processes with a view to making everything work better and more efficiently. If there is one thing that stands in the way of creativity it's computers and software...

insert the word "desperate" in between "in" and "need", it appears both of these products could use an overhaul. Posers interface is ancient, and Studio decided it was going to hold your hand; like it or not, when simple documentation could have freed up a lot of screen real estate and clutter and mouse clicks. I still want to use DS4 on my system, I just keep running into deal breaker issues and as it's been stated anything I've seen with Genesis I can get the same results with M4,V4 and the tools at my disposal in DS3.

• edited December 1969

I pretty much agree with TAW 1 i've pretty much stopped using daz all together took everything off my hard drive I've been a user since 2004 they have pretty much made everything that I have bought useless not about to go out and spend hundreds more for stuff that pretty much is the same stuff. My version of daz 3 was pro and I paid for it too. Soo I pretty much got screwed on that deal wish they could refund me for it heck that would be nice, ohh well a lot of my freinds about 30 in all have pretty much stopped using as well. They have pretty much screwed the pooch on this one until a better version comes out one that actually works with the stuff we already have then we are done for the time being shame to.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

They have pretty much screwed the pooch on this one until a better version comes out one that actually works with the stuff we already have then we are done for the time being shame to.

I am sorry that is true for you. Thankfully it is not true for me. I can still load some of my scenes from as far back as version 2 in 4.5 and all the content I use has worked for me. I'm pretty thrilled to use old version clothing on genesis because it means less out of pocket expense. Unlike when V4/M4 came out I've gotten to keep using things even though I switched characters. For me the new version of studio has been a real blessing with all the added abilities and money saving. I couldn't get by without being able to add additional surface areas in studio on the fly or save portions of a scene rather than delete so I only get what I want in the save.

• edited December 1969

Khory said:
    They have pretty much screwed the pooch on this one until a better version comes out one that actually works with the stuff we already have then we are done for the time being shame to.

I am sorry that is true for you. Thankfully it is not true for me. I can still load some of my scenes from as far back as version 2 in 4.5 and all the content I use has worked for me. I'm pretty thrilled to use old version clothing on genesis because it means less out of pocket expense. Unlike when V4/M4 came out I've gotten to keep using things even though I switched characters. For me the new version of studio has been a real blessing with all the added abilities and money saving. I couldn't get by without being able to add additional surface areas in studio on the fly or save portions of a scene rather than delete so I only get what I want in the save. [/quot

You sound a spokesperson for some advertisment company that has to say good things about a product even though a lot of people are having problems with this product. Yes we are well aware of the things this daz version does you don't need to sound like some flower child talking about it and great if its working like magic for ya. But for people who are in the real world it isn't working like it should and daz has addmitted to this. So if you have any solutions please don't talk becuase thats what we are looking for is solutions.

FYI not made at ya just looking to solve some of these issues that daz has seem to ignore.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I don't have to be in advertising or marketing to say stuff works for me. Or are you insinuating something darker about me? I don't have any issues with it so I get called a flower child and and add exec? Should I pretend I have problems or dislike something so a few people won't jump me for it? And trust me I live in a very real world. What I actually sound like is someone who worked their behind off to get studio 4 and loved it because it solved many of my problems and saved me a slew of money because I could use my old stuff still. And I sound like someone who has updated two two different versions of 4.5 on two different computers without issues. That is ALL I sound like so don't try and flame me because mine works.

• edited November 2012

Khory said:
    I don't have to be in advertising or marketing to say stuff works for me. Or are you insinuating something darker about me? I don't have any issues with it so I get called a flower child and and add exec? Should I pretend I have problems or dislike something so a few people won't jump me for it? And trust me I live in a very real world. What I actually sound like is someone who worked their behind off to get studio 4 and loved it because it solved many of my problems and saved me a slew of money because I could use my old stuff still. And I sound like someone who has updated two two different versions of 4.5 on two different computers without issues. That is ALL I sound like so don't try and flame me because mine works.

Like I said we are not looking for people who say theirs works wonderfully we have problems with ours so if you have a solution then speak if not then don't. I know all the features of the program been using since 04 so I don't need a walkthrough of how they work and crap if you have any insightfull solutions then speak if not then don't and go sing koombyaa in another forum right now we are trying to solve some major issues daz has.

By the way I'm hating on ya or anything I'm happy yours works and all.

Post edited by heritage126_cd1f3d64f0 on