The older generation: Victoria 2/3, Michael 2/3 and their children renders

Comments

• Here's my render with the Gen 3 figures

http://caesar99.deviantart.com/art/Rat-problem-609530356

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

There is a story there!

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775

Can somebody tell me why Mike 2 seems to be missing half his eye lashes? I thought it was the morph but turning it off has no effect on them. The skin I'm using is from a character named Jeff that I bought when I first got Poser, back in 2004. Unfortunately, that is the only eyelash transmap I have for M2 and many of the free textures I've found don't include them. Heck, I'm lucky if any of them have MAT poses, let alone transmaps.Those must really have been exotic way back then.

Render 2.jpg
    716 x 623 - 74K
  • Byrdie said:

Can somebody tell me why Mike 2 seems to be missing half his eye lashes? I thought it was the morph but turning it off has no effect on them. The skin I'm using is from a character named Jeff that I bought when I first got Poser, back in 2004. Unfortunately, that is the only eyelash transmap I have for M2 and many of the free textures I've found don't include them. Heck, I'm lucky if any of them have MAT poses, let alone transmaps.Those must really have been exotic way back then.

Did you try adjusting the lash lengh and/or thickness morphs dials? The parameters should show up when you select his head. If you make the lashes longer and/or thicker and still can't see them then it might be a transmap issue.

All the freebies I have for M2 come with lash transmaps, but they do seem a little thin in the inner corners. If it helps any, I did a quick test with RDNA's free Zane texture (I'm not sure if it's still available post-DAZ merger.)

michael-2.png
    600 x 800 - 578K
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775

Adjusting the lash morphs only gets me this far. It's as if his lashes don't reach all the way across his eyes. Did he have an accident or something? 

Render_M2.jpg
    757 x 659 - 38K
  • Hmmm, that does look strange. The Zane lashes go almost to the inner eye but your example cuts off well before that. It's like the lashes shrunk or something.

The eye shape doesn't look much different than the one I posted so I I'm thinking it must be a transmap problem. 

edited September 2016

Freebie textures for M2: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Michael_1-2/Materials_and_Shaders

The original textures by Daz are including a transmap too: M2HeadTr.jpg

This is Marius by Mec4d $0,35 - http://www.mec4d.com/store/index.php?_a=product&product_id=16 - I just plonked it on an unmorphed M2. Yes, the lashes are fading to the inner eye a bit.

M2MariusOlympian.jpg
    738 x 960 - 123K
    Post edited by Kerya on
  • $0.35 is a pretty good deal; I should pick that up.

Back in March I finally bought the original Aiko Toon and Hiro Toon, along with the CDI face morphs and an expression package. This weekend I sat down to play with them -- and love them! Between these two toon characters and Melody and Micah, I'm going to be using A3 and H3 a lot

The better lighting in DS these days helps too. No more nostril glow.

test-a3h3-toon.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 423K
    a3 toon cdi.jpg
    700 x 1400 - 256K
    hiro3 toon cdi.jpg
    700 x 1400 - 266K
    halloween-black-cats-text.png
    1100 x 1100 - 2M
    MMPW02SMTXT.png
    800 x 900 - 805K
  • @Kerya  It looks pretty good.  If I had M1 or M2, I'd definitely get it.  Sadly, when I first started, I got the Michael 2 bundle, but then didn't figure out until after the 30 day return time that it did NOT, in fact, include Michael and he was nowhere in the store to be found.  It would be really nice is DAZ decided to have a special of some sort where the older characters come out of the vault so that those of us who want them, because we've picked up things to use on them whether by accident or by design, can get them.  I wouldn't even care if it was just a limited time as long as there was a chance to pick them up.  Preferably cheaply or as freebies.  However, I don't really see that happening because most like to focus on all of the newer figures.

@mmalbert I like those - especially the Melody and Micah picture - so heartwarming funny!

@Knittingmommy You could try to contact Daz ... sometimes they are nice and unearth older products on a request ...

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,761

Daz Mike 2..

980 x 855 - 463K

Daz vicky 2

vestige3.jpg
    691 x 864 - 63K
  • mmalbert said:

Back in March I finally bought the original Aiko Toon and Hiro Toon, along with the CDI face morphs and an expression package. This weekend I sat down to play with them -- and love them!

Awesome =) But why only one witch? =)

wolf359 said:

Daz vicky 2

wolf359 said:

Daz Mike 2..

They both look great! What did you render in and what resources did you use? And is Vicky wearing dynamics?

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited September 2016

...a test close-up (one of many) for the scene I'm working on. Should partially explain why I'm always so slow with renders - even outside the whole real life thing and the fact that it often takes me years to develop scenes and/or characters.

This is V2 default morph (which I think is the cutest of all the seven Vickies), and one of Anton's textures I got here from the store, cheap when the big vaulting took place years ago. It's a good one. But a) it has no bump maps; b) can you see the weird discolouration around the wings of her nose? There is a dark line drawn on the texture there. Maybe it was a great idea for the time, but now it just looks off. So for the final materials, I have cloned it out. And of course I made bump maps. Their first version is in this render.

But I'm also looking for the perfect hair. It's Lady Littlefox Trixie hair for V4 ( http://www.daz3d.com/trixie-hair ) with the textures from OOT's Rendo "IrayPair" material pack. // I don't use Iray but those textures are the best //

With the best material settings (proper anisotropic glossy reflection) it looks quite nice as you can see, but it takes over half an hour to render. I don't like this =) I want to reuse the character eventually, so the settings should give manageable render times.

LAMH hair would have been faster to render, but hard to style into an updo. I'm waiting for LAMH2, with gravity etc.

So this weekend, I will be testing specular combinations to approximate this look but make the render faster...

vicky_perfecrhair_38m34s.png
    380 x 600 - 397K
    Post edited by Mustakettu85 on

@wolf359

Cool renders - I like both!

@Mustakettu85

I think I should load default V2 - one day ... I know about the time getting renders done, it's the same for me.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
    edited September 2016

Here are some stylized V3s I did a looong time ago!

image.jpeg
    365 x 360 - 144K
    image.jpeg
    352 x 360 - 147K
    image.jpeg
    473 x 360 - 105K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
    edited September 2016

More old V3s, but I think the orange one is Stephanie 3... It's scary how long I've been doing this. But that was all Poser. Still a newbie in DS!

image.jpeg
    622 x 832 - 140K
    image.jpeg
    535 x 648 - 50K
    image.jpeg
    864 x 881 - 999K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • Enjoying looking at what folks are doing with these old models. Seems they benefit a bit from some of the newer technology too.

I like looking at these pictures - nice!

edited September 2016

"They both look great! What did you render in and what resources did you use? And is Vicky wearing dynamics?"

Sorry ive not been recieving forum notifications lately.
    The Mike 2 is rendered in Maxon Cinema4D Studio wearing the "Grim" Armor from former Daz PA "Sanctumart"
    And yes the Vicky 2 is wearing a Dynamic Dress for V4. She is rendered in Blender cycles using the free teleblender script by "Mcasual"

Post edited by Chohole on
  • More old V3s, but I think the orange one is Stephanie 3... It's scary how long I've been doing this. But that was all Poser. Still a newbie in DS!

Stylish portraits, especially the b/w ones =)

• wolf359 said:

Sorry ive not been recieving forum notifications lately.
    The Mike 2 is rendered in Maxon Cinema4D Studio wearing the "Grim" Armor from former Daz PA "Sanctumart"
    And yes the Vicky 2 is wearing a Dynamic Dress for V4. She is rendered in Blender cycles using the free teleblender script by "Mcasual"

Thanks for explaining! Did you drape the dress in Blender as well?

Hi the cloth sim was done in Daz Studio.
  • Oh, so it's one of the Optitext dresses? I didn't recognise it =)

Here's a "sketch" I did a couple of weeks ago. It only uses a single HDRI for lighting.

It's Stephanie 1 - she has Vicky's rig but Michael's UV and mesh. I added Arki's EyeDeas instead of Steph's original eyes, though, because the Gen2 eyes (like G2 and G3, lol) have no iris morphs and so don't look that good with realistically refractive corneas. Also there are too few textures. For EyeDeas, I used one of Surreality's Gen4 textures.

The character is 3Dream's Gabriela freebie (you can find the link here https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Stephanie_1 ) + Quim Abella's bumpmap from an M2 character with Gabriela's brows added. Unfortunately there seem to be no surviving links to Quim's character.
    One of RQ free hairstyles for V4 (link: http://qraffx.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=121&zenid=sut3kc6jac3lsjnajjdmal0tb7 ) - this model only four layers including scalp, so glossy reflection is feasible and makes the model look its best. I edited the top layer transmap slightly for a less ordered appearance; used OOT's IrayPair textures for diffuse, bump, spec
    The dress and bag are Optitex dynamic freebies (for V4) with Michele's fabric textures.

Rendered to EXR, then applied the NIK Analog plugin in Partha's GIMP 2.9.5 build (get this special build at partha.com).

As I said, the scene is lit with one of the OpenFootage.NET free (small) HDRIs, and it's also the background (this is why it's so blurry and jagged).

I actually think that in a way, Gen2 figures have an edge over Gen3 - mostly when it comes to bends, however strange it may sound. I always subdivide pre-V4 figures (it isn't hard on resources), and sometimes I add a tiny bit of smoothing modifier - both these things improve the look of joints, but Gen3 figures have those bulgey shoulders that need magnets. Gen2 don't have that many cool "realistic" skins, unfortunately. But since they have a load of built-in "creature" morphs, I think I'll try experimenting in that direction (either using tile-based materials for creature skins, or painting some new ones).

GabSteph_NIKAnalog.png
    803 x 1300 - 6M
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2016
    Kerya said:

I decided to start a new thread for older generation figures, as the idea comes up now and then ...

If you are interested in getting these figures (apart from Victoria 2 and Michael 2 - those are vaulted by Daz): Knittingmommy has accumulated links to the store pages: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1501496/#Comment_1501496 and there is GiGi_7's thread here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/925540/#Comment_925540

Freebies for V2/M2: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22725/links-victoria2-michael2-v2-m2-freebie-list/p1

Adventuress

Victoria 3 (in letters THREE - yes, really ...), rendered in DazStudio 3Delight.
    I wouldn't call her old if I were you, she has a big sword and knows how to use it!

Credits:
    Victoria 3 - Daz
    Daniela - IllusionsDesigns
    Subsurface Skin Shader - Tofusan (a bit modified)
    Veronica Year Three - Uzilite
    PD Dirty Pretty - Parrotdolphin
    Adventure Hair - 3Dream
    UberHair Shader Upgrade for UberSurface - Omnifreaker
    The Ruins of Angkor Wat - Merlin Studios
    Nature Shaders - JGreenlees (Water and Grass, a bit modified)
    Songbird ReMix Jacanas - Ken Gilliland
    Songbird ReMix Pet Shop - Ken Gilliland

Yeah, never commented on this one...but, she's wearing too much clothing to know 'really how to use' that sword...laugh

Post edited by mjc1016 on

Here's a "sketch" I did a couple of weeks ago. It only uses a single HDRI for lighting.

It's Stephanie 1 - she has Vicky's rig but Michael's UV and mesh. I added Arki's EyeDeas instead of Steph's original eyes, though, because the Gen2 eyes (like G2 and G3, lol) have no iris morphs and so don't look that good with realistically refractive corneas. Also there are too few textures. For EyeDeas, I used one of Surreality's Gen4 textures.

I like her face!

mjc1016 said:

Yeah, never commented on this one...but, she's wearing too much clothing to know 'really how to use' that sword...laugh

You think? Maybe she knows how to use that sword AND the clothing?

wink

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2016
    Kerya said:
    mjc1016 said:

You think? Maybe she knows how to use that sword AND the clothing?

wink

Atypical then...

Anyway, here's one of the Millenium Girl PS in Iray...

TamiL's Sweet Dress, Koz's Long Hair Evo, RDNA Christmas Child Skin, green irises from AllMyEyes, everything is linked to here...

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Millennium_Girls

Lighting is a single HDRI and the brick wall is just a texture on a plane (a PBR texture from http://freepbr.com/materials/worn-out-old-brick-wall-pbr-material/)

psgirl.png
    640 x 640 - 810K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
    mjc1016 said:

Anyway, here's one of the Millenium Girl PS in Iray...

TamiL's Sweet Dress, Koz's Long Hair Evo, RDNA Christmas Child Skin, green irises from AllMyEyes, everything is linked to here...

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Millennium_Girls

Lighting is a single HDRI and the brick wall is just a texture on a plane (a PBR texture from http://freepbr.com/materials/worn-out-old-brick-wall-pbr-material/)

Did you mean for her to look that bratty, or is it an illusion going on because her pupils are transparent?

PS Thanks for the link to the textures, that site is pretty cool!