Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Oh you're gonna love this- not. The girl who caused the accident didn't stop, she made her "get-away" as fast as she could. She KNEW she caused the accident, it was quite a ruckus when she cantered up behind them. 

Over in Commons, in the "jerky posing thread" we are discussing the Active Pose tool. I've never used it before, so if you're interested in learning about it, hop on over. I'm trying it with Star but I don't know what I'm supposed to do. (Post any info on thread please. What is happening is a Y translation is built into the hip and another one gets added when you pose- at least that is what we think is happening. A bug report has been filed.) 

• Unfortunately, I didn't pick up Star.  But, I might be able to help with some Active Pose questions if you get stuck.  I've been using it for the last few figures I've where I've done my own poses from scratch.  I like how the pinning works.  Not sure why the pinning doesn't seem to work quite as well in the other posing methods.  Since I've been doing so much posing, I've been trying to learn all of the methods of posing in DS because there times when one method seems to work well for some situations, but a different method works well for others.  

• Oh, as for that girl! Yeah, I can totally believe she tried that!  I'll bet this isn't the first time she has caused trouble either.  If not at the stables, then elsewhere!

• A kid that irresponsible should not be riding alone. When I was a child we were never allowed to ride without an instuctor in a designated area. 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Wow! so sorry to her about that little girl and her injuries. I can't imagine how the parents must feel. The girl who caused the accident should be banned from horse riding anywhere until she's 18.

edited September 2016

Ah, Hermine is predicted to go to a hurricane now. Pensacola isn't in any of this and Florida is well prepared for the storm surge and rain. Thank goodness Hawaii dodged two hurricanes, talk about a season exploding!  The wave off the African coast is embedded in dry air and the five day has been reduced to 40%. Hope it stays that way!

Merrick is easy to pose and a nice rugged man, don't let the stitches and other makeup options detract you from seeing his "regular" appearance. However, need some expertise on fixing fingernails. I strongly dislike these, they are almost to the point of grungy. I tried changing the translucency color, transmission color, the emission color, but really haven't a clue on how to change these. Can fingernails from one Genesis 3 character be substituted for another? The shirtless one has the lighter translucency, emission, transmission.

This Merrick has slight alterations. I enlarged his eyes 13%, sharpened the jawline and raised it slightly. This image is 1300 pixels high, click to enlarge and look at the arm texturing. You may like it, or may not. It's unusual.

merrick.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 706K
    merrick2.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 625K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Your version of Merrick looks totally different than mine since I went with a buzz cut!  :)  I have to agree on the nails and I'll be doing something about that before my next render with him.  For my current render, I left the nails as is because of the environment I have him rendering in, but those nails are bit more than I usually like.  If I figure out an easy fix, I'll let you know.  As for putting nails from one figure over onto another, I've done that with the girls.  I don't see why it wouldn't work with the guys unless the vendors have done something strange just because they are guys.  If I remember correctly, the nails are a separate material zone, so it should work as long as the UVs are the same.

This may have slipped past you- the candles come with a table. In one of the PA stores that are featured. The title even says table, but I didn't notice. 

• Novica said:

This may have slipped past you- the candles come with a table. In one of the PA stores that are featured. The title even says table, but I didn't notice. 

I actually bought that when it came out because of the table and the mason jars.  I have such a weakness for that type of style and I hadn't seen anything like it in the stores.  It's a beautiful set.

edited September 2016

You can use the suit on the Sky Gods Anubis and Horus without the helmet,  I used Gray for Gianni 7 as my model.  Here's two facts for you:

1. there are no expressions for the helmet (not surprised.) BUT...

2. this outfit is one of those annoying ones that deletes the character's body. So if you have a figure you like, SAVE IT before you add the outfit because if you change your mind on the clothes, your figure has gone Invisible Man except for the head and hands.  HATE THAT. 

3. the morphs are simply to move the helmet such as bend, twist, etc.

Kameron Hair  sections seem to be separated-  the upper back connecting to the sides. The upper back definitely looks segmented to me (meaning separated, doesn't seem like the hair is one piece.)  Looks like a wayward "ribbon."  To get the sides and top less fluffy, I had to turn off the parameters, something that I think should have been part of the range. The hair does have a nice tousled look, but watch your camera angle or that top section can really stand out (which may be what you want.)   You can see the "ribbon" look in back, very top, in the thumbnail promos. On the positive side, it has a lot of opportunities to flatten or poof the sections, and has windy options. 

anubisGrayKameronHair.jpg
    467 x 700 - 283K
    anubisGrayKameronHair2.jpg
    367 x 700 - 197K
    anubisGrayKameronHair4.jpg
    367 x 700 - 172K
    anubisGrayKameronHair5.jpg
    366 x 669 - 212K
    anubisHORUSGrayKameronHair.jpg
    367 x 625 - 220K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2016

You're going to love the Wings of Horus!  There's a slider for the size (I reduced it slightly) and sliders for movement such as up and down, or front and back. There's sliders to adjust the location (up and down the back, etc.) And I like the variety of material options. 

anubisHORUSwings.jpg
    484 x 600 - 221K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited September 2016

I like your men. I do admit I haven't much use for Egyptian content but those renders look good.

Midnight Stories makes great textures. They really show a lot of attention to detail.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited September 2016

I like your men. I do admit I haven't much use for Egyptian content but those renders look good.

I'm kinda the same way, I can probably write it in one of the books in the series- but what I was thinking was using different shaders and seeing how the suit looks. One thing I just tested- there aren't separate material zones on the suit, you can't change things in sections, nor remove the Egyptian symbols. So any shaders you use would be applied to the entire suit.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2016

I thought Dahlia would make a dignified deity (not Egyptian, but the eye makeup is pronounced.) She's very pale, I had to up the Saturation in postwork. What hair works really good with that helmet?  One that you can hide the tails and the wisps, aka the Geneva Hair. So your figure can have hair under her massive head ornamentation! 

dahliaEgyptian.jpg
    484 x 600 - 208K
    dahliaEgyptian2.jpg
    384 x 900 - 247K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited September 2016
    Novica said:

You can use the suit on the Sky Gods Anubis and Horus without the helmet,  I used Gray for Gianni 7 as my model.  Here's two facts for you:

1. there are no expressions for the helmet (not surprised.) BUT...

2. this outfit is one of those annoying ones that deletes the character's body. So if you have a figure you like, SAVE IT before you add the outfit because if you change your mind on the clothes, your figure has gone Invisible Man except for the head and hands.  HATE THAT. 

3. the morphs are simply to move the helmet such as bend, twist, etc.

Kameron Hair  sections seem to be separated-  the upper back connecting to the sides. The upper back definitely looks segmented to me (meaning separated, doesn't seem like the hair is one piece.)  Looks like a wayward "ribbon."  To get the sides and top less fluffy, I had to turn off the parameters, something that I think should have been part of the range. The hair does have a nice tousled look, but watch your camera angle or that top section can really stand out (which may be what you want.)   You can see the "ribbon" look in back, very top, in the thumbnail promos. On the positive side, it has a lot of opportunities to flatten or poof the sections, and has windy options. 

Do you understand why we do it that way! it's to stop poke through, it's more practical to do it this way, than do hundreds of JCMs to fix it given the amount of shape morphs it would be a tower of morphs to do.

When the suit conforms it hides the body parts underneath not delete them as soon as you take the suit off, all the body parts come back you don't need to reload the character again. So I just wanted to clear that up. Excellent renders BTW !

Post edited by Midnight_stories on

That's good to know about the poke through, thanks for addressing that!  

So when I closed the eye to "hide" the outfit the body disappeared- but (of course!) you are right- the body IS there when the suit is deleted. My bad! (Happy to be wrong, I must say. Sure makes it easier if deciding to switch to another outfit, no re-loading required.) 

The outfit is stunning!  

Right now I am switching mats on different characters (keeping Dahlia's morphs) and will be posting those. 

Oh, also, in case folks haven't seen it- there are two threads in Commons about the wings, Midnight_stories responded to a request and is doing a fold pose for the wings. Very nice!

edited September 2016

The character listed under the image is the materials. Dahlia was the character used for all of these. Click to enlarge. I like Amandla and Briley (although I think I would add some ruddiness to Briley's skin.) 

dahliaGroup1.jpg
    852 x 1000 - 651K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2016

Here's another group. Vincenzina looks totally in charge, Selena is elegant, and I like Dayanara's skin tone. Very rich.

dahliagroup2.jpg
    852 x 1000 - 672K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited September 2016

I actually like that hit hides the body. Many suits have pokethrough, leaving me to have to hide all the parts on my own. What I do is have a custom folder with the bodypart hider scripts inside. The folder is called "Hide" And some pa's include the scripts with their clothing. I collect those, and dump them in the folder.

When I get a bodysuit I inevitably have to go there, to hide hands, gloves or pecs. Usually pa's also make a reveal script.

So that is how I handle that. In case you are interested. =-) This is a common issue for sci-fi content so I made it easier for myself.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited September 2016

I actually like that hit hides the body. Many suits have pokethrough, leaving me to have to hide all the parts on my own. What I do is have a custom folder with the bodypart hider scripts inside. The folder is called "Hide" And some pa's include the scripts with their clothing. I collect those, and dump them in the folder.

When I get a bodysuit I inevitably have to go there, to hide hands, gloves or pecs. Usually pa's also make a reveal script.

So that is how I handle that. In case you are interested. =-) This is a common issue for sci-fi content so I made it easier for myself.

Another advantage that new shapes won't have problems with poke through so it future proofs it.

The snake has a morph to size up and down to. Here an early concept where I was playing with the idea of gold skin, but I thought it was a bit over the top.

Now got to get to bed !

Nef-Black.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 500K
    Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • Ooh, gold skin looks nice. Your textures continue to amaze me Midnight Stories. You know what would've been cool with the gold skin? The stylized eyeliner like on the mask of King tut. I bet that would've really looked boss. Good work! =-)

Well I made off like a bandit on Aiko 7 and two of her characters. I scooped up Faveral's town Perouges and Fun Saturday Outfit to use as a beach coverup, so as I got two new things, that was 50%,  and then Labor Day Weekend extra 10% if I got three things total from any of the sections (doesn't have to be a new item, hope you caught that.) So I got Aiko 7 and Natsuko and Sakura (love that skin tone and eyebrows), both for Aiko 7.  Got Biker Bandit (visor opens and closes)   All of this for only $39.94  (Interesting- my cart said 39.98. But in Orders and Paypal, it dropped 4 cents.)

I used my Daz Originals PC code, so my costs ended up being:  Aiko 7 only $4.67,  Natsuko $2.90,  Sakura $6.82,  Biker Bandit $3.53,  Perouges $13.47, Fun Saturday Outift $8.53.  

edited September 2016

And here's Sakura in the Fun Saturday Outfit. See previous links.

Love her!  On the Fun Saturday Outfit, you may have to go to the Parameters (click the cog) on the collars slider and uncheck the limits. Then you can lower the straps.

We've showcased Lani Hair before. It's fun! This is out of the box. The last two are Betty Hair.

Sakura.jpg
    613 x 700 - 340K
    Sakura2.jpg
    275 x 586 - 109K
    Sakura3BettyHair.jpg
    275 x 586 - 116K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2016

And here's Sakura with Octavia Hair (previously showcased) as a youngster with Growing Up.

Sakura4 Child.jpg
    575 x 586 - 279K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

And here's Sakura with Octavia Hair (previously showcased) as a youngster with Growing Up.

Ver nice have bought her at release but did not played around with her so far...

Also did my first big purchase of  the PA Festival Today. Got tons of stuff with 64% overall Discount

• Novica said:

Well I made off like a bandit on Aiko 7 and two of her characters. I scooped up Faveral's town Perouges and Fun Saturday Outfit to use as a beach coverup, so as I got two new things, that was 50%,  and then Labor Day Weekend extra 10% if I got three things total from any of the sections (doesn't have to be a new item, hope you caught that.) So I got Aiko 7 and Natsuko and Sakura (love that skin tone and eyebrows), both for Aiko 7.  Got Biker Bandit (visor opens and closes)   All of this for only $39.94  (Interesting- my cart said 39.98. But in Orders and Paypal, it dropped 4 cents.)

I used my Daz Originals PC code, so my costs ended up being:  Aiko 7 only $4.67,  Natsuko $2.90,  Sakura $6.82,  Biker Bandit $3.53,  Perouges $13.47, Fun Saturday Outift $8.53.  

No, I hadn't caught that!  Thanks for the heads up!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133
    edited September 2016

I so nearly picked up Aiko 7 - but then I remembered I'm not supposed to be spending on any more female characters/figures!

Today was my first PA Festival splurge though - I hadn't bought since August 24th apart from one PC+ release. I got 10 items (including Perouges) for a total of $47 plus my PC/PA Coupon - total cart value $181.50, so that's over 70% off on average. (Most of the items were from the Mega FastGrab)

Oops, I got over-excited and hit the "Save" button before saying: Sakura makes a really sweet child, doesn't she?

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • I picked up mostly crypt and Orestes stuff this go around. I suspect I will have to have Sarge explore a tomb to justify the expense! 

I did break my vow of no more females by buying MRL Isabis since she is lovely with dark skin- AND includes a cybernetic implant. I will buy cybernetic implants most of the time. I always use and need them.

I have been messing around with the IDG Iray FX ribbons. I think they are great! 

Yesteray was a big day for me, since they released a ton of nice sci-fi environments.

• I got Isabis, Josina Hair and of course Perouges from the new stuff.

Cleared a lot of stuff from my wishlist Including Urban Sprawl 3, Lagoon Living, Lots of i13 stuff and a few P3D and Lyoness Chars.

This discussion has been closed.