Question for Dartanbeck

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

If it is not your thing, I won't try again. But you are missing a great opportunity. And the costs are very very low because you are doing everything yourself. You have the skills and you have the basic idea. You only have to think outside the box.

No... please... speak your mind... Always!

...and you're making good sense and I can see your point. What is now rattling around in the ol' brain pan:

Once I'm finished with episode one, episodes two and three will have quite a good start already - so maybe push closer to the time when I'm recording the dialog for episode two before posting Episode One

Upon posting the first episode, create a new YouTube channel under the name of the show (?) what do you think? Then post each episode using the Show Name, Episode Name, Episode #

In my current YouTube channel, post behind-the-scenes fun regarding the episode(s) already out, and ones that are soon to come - more as tutorial how-to's rather that an Ad

In my current YouTube channel, include the playlist of episodes from the other channel once more than one are up

In my current YouTube channel as well as the new, upload ads for the show

This just sprung into thought after reading your post, so I value your honest criticism/opinion on these ideas. I'm just a stone-chiseler/drummer/artist... I'm not really all that savvy on all of this "delivery" side of things. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Hope you are feeling well. 

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
    edited September 2016

If it is not your thing, I won't try again. But you are missing a great opportunity. And the costs are very very low because you are doing everything yourself. You have the skills and you have the basic idea. You only have to think outside the box.

No... please... speak your mind... Always!

...and you're making good sense and I can see your point. What is now rattling around in the ol' brain pan:

Once I'm finished with episode one, episodes two and three will have quite a good start already - so maybe push closer to the time when I'm recording the dialog for episode two before posting Episode One

Upon posting the first episode, create a new YouTube channel under the name of the show (?) what do you think? Then post each episode using the Show Name, Episode Name, Episode #

In my current YouTube channel, post behind-the-scenes fun regarding the episode(s) already out, and ones that are soon to come - more as tutorial how-to's rather that an Ad

In my current YouTube channel, include the playlist of episodes from the other channel once more than one are up

In my current YouTube channel as well as the new, upload ads for the show

This just sprung into thought after reading your post, so I value your honest criticism/opinion on these ideas. I'm just a stone-chiseler/drummer/artist... I'm not really all that savvy on all of this "delivery" side of things. 

Yes, give the channel the name of your show. Is more clearer. Suppose some non animator find one of your videos. He sees the link to the channel and thinks "Oh there is more." Stick to the Minions. If he watched a Minions video he will probably want to watch the Minions channel. Otherwise he could think it is a one time video.

In your current channel make something like "The making of ........." And explain for instance what and how you did ........... With a link to the finished video.

Naming the videos depends. If they are not related, I don't think you need numbering. Take the TV series According to Jim. Each episode is independent. Only if you have a longer episode, you could split with part one, part two. Don't post them at the same time. Let you viewers wait for tension. Look for the term "Cliffhanger" if you do not know what it is. Lets say one day you have 20 videos. They don't have to watch them in a specific order. Each video is independent with a start and an end.

If they are related, like this thing continues in other episodes, you could add dates, like March 3015. In TV series, children get older, but you could avoid that in animation. But I think non related is the best.

Give the videos a name with tension, like "John should have gone to town."

You can add playlists on both channels. It is common these days.

Try to find a time and place where it happens. Different planet named .... In the past. In the future "after the world was destroyed."

You can add ads on both. It is not very disturbing, because most videos have them.

Also think about adding your music to the videos. There are also some books for that, search for creating soundtracks or something like that.

Also have a look at the book: Shoot video that doesn't suck. Very good.

The name of your show / group should be in the video title: "The Minion are having fun." Or "The Minions: Going into town with a gun."

Post edited by Pjotter on

In my recent studying, analytics have shown that many viewers who find our videos via a search will look upon episode numbers at the end of the title as a good reason to pick that one, as it advertises that there is more to watch of this if we like it - that's where I got that from.

Yes... I'm quite familiar with cliff hangers and many of those wonderful techniques. But please don't stop recemmending them!

When I mentioned "Ads", I was actually talking about one-minute (roughly) short ads that I make myself to help sell the episode, another to help sell the Behind the Scenes of it, etc., that I can place at the end of other videos, in forums, use as examples, etc.,

And, yes. I would have a playlist of the episodes played in order on the show's channel, and another which is just the opposite, playing the most recent first and working backwards. I guess some viewers like them arranged "Newest First", whereas I like to put them in order - so I'll just make both. Also, in that channel (new one for the actual show) I'll put in some playlists of videos from my animators channel. Provide some good ol' cross-talk, so that both channels can work together.

When I was thinking of just putting the show on my current channel, it would have its own section, making the show in its own list of videos, as well as having its own custom playlists - but I like this new idea better.

It's hard to explain exactly how this show looks... I'll just have to show you when the first episode is released - because I'm doing something a bit different and, I think will be, highly entertaining. But it actually (at least as far as the plan goes) advertises Carrara and Howler within the actual show, and Daz3d and its Artists as well. It's impossible to explain (without giving too much away) how this is done. While it sounds awkward and boring in this text, it isn't... it really isn't.

Music - Yes! I have quite a few good themes written in a way that I can alter how I play them once the show is 'cut' (edited together for proper timing, interest capturing quality, story continuity, etc.,) so that the actual show drives the pacing and changes of the music. This is REALLY fun for me - I Love writing music!!!

Gonna go do some book shopping according to your suggestions... brb

diomede said:

Hope you are feeling well. 

Thanks diomede! Still kinda out of it today. Rosie really spoiled my last night and this morning. She's such a real Super Hero! And she's hot... so... win WIN!

I just bought The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script, 4th Ed., which looks like a perfect one for me after reading many of the reviews for several others.

This one seems like it's a style I'd like. Besides, it's been updated so I got a previously-owned-by-a-library copy for a penny! ;)

Here's a nice example of what I mean byadvertising Carrara, Howler, Daz3d, etc.,

Even if you don't watch the playlist, it demonstrates a style in using a single playlist to combine many elements

Portal Combat (by Film Riot/VFX by HitFilm, advertising HitFilm, while also advertising Film Riot themselves!) - Really fun to watch, if you have the time - and the short tutorial-esque commercials that follow are very short - also worth seeing at least once ;)

I just bought The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script, 4th Ed., which looks like a perfect one for me after reading many of the reviews for several others.

This one seems like it's a style I'd like. Besides, it's been updated so I got a previously-owned-by-a-library copy for a penny! ;)

This was recommended by one of the reviewers of "Save the Cat", stating that all of the good points of that one are better said in this one.

Eventually I'll have a fairly complete library of these books - this is my start. I have an online course on this topic coming up fairly soon - following the one that starts next week about writing stories through characters.

I love books and have a pretty nice library already. Collecting new ones is always fun! Really looking forward to this one coming ;)

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Awesome! Thanks Desert Dude! Yeah... it's amazing how all of this works, right?

Excellent Paintings, my friend!!! Superb!

Thanks Dartanbeck! Yes, it is amazing how all this works. Watching this thread for yet more inspiration from the Carrara community. smiley

You have the skills. You have the motivation. You have a basic idea. And you are open minded to studying. In other words, you have your foundation. Now you can start building. These 4 points will influence each other for going upwards. As said before somewhere: The sky is the limit.

Maybe you should start a thread here once you project has lifted off. Ask for opinions, suggestions and new ideas. If you are stuck with an idea, ask. If you need inspiration for a new story, ask. Use the good ideas that fit into your setup.

edited September 2016

You have the skills. You have the motivation. You have a basic idea. And you are open minded to studying. In other words, you have your foundation. Now you can start building. These 4 points will influence each other for going upwards. As said before somewhere: The sky is the limit.

Maybe you should start a thread here once you project has lifted off. Ask for opinions, suggestions and new ideas. If you are stuck with an idea, ask. If you need inspiration for a new story, ask. Use the good ideas that fit into your setup.

Great idea, and thanks for the kind words!

Not sure exactly how (except that I've been really busy with RL these days.. well... always) but I had the date screwed up on my up-coming online course: "Start Writing Fiction" through the Online University. Turns out it starts October 3, not next week! This turns out to be some pretty good timing in my opinion. This way I'll get that book about two weeks prior to the class.

I just got a letter from my lead educator for that class, which included this nice little brief:

This course is suitable for anyone with an interest in creative writing. Even if you have already studied this topic, there will be much that is fresh in it. The eight-week course will run online and consists of a variety of audio and video clips, articles, discussion and assignments.

In the first week, you will start keeping a writer’s notebook to help you capture and develop your ideas.

You will explore the difference between fact and fiction and take a look at some characters from George Orwell and Zoë Heller novels. You will hear from writers including Alex Garland, Monique Roffey, Louis de Bernières and Michèle Roberts talking about how they started to write. And you’ll start to write your own characters and stories.

Sounds like it's going to teach me a lot of the stuff you've been advising me to focus on.

In the meantime I'm going to continue to write (and tweak) my story.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night with a change to the opening sequence that I really like. It just adds a lot to the drive - kinda putting the audience on the edge of their seats just a few minutes into the show. We'll see if it stays in the episode when I'm cutting it all together in the end. But at least it's a positive direction for getting these scenes developed and rendered. 

I'll also go ahead and apply post work and visual effects to everything as well - unless I already know for sure that I don't want it. Still learning a LOT about that stuff too, and just got another expansion for HitFilm - so now I have three of them: Starter Pack (adds a lot of great time-savers and beneficial tools), Destruction Pack (Adds a lot of excellent particle-based and 2d procedural effects) and now I just added the Atmospheric Lighting Pack (adds auto-volumetric lighting and a bunch of other wonderful lighting effects like the awesome Anamorphic Lens Flares! Yeah!) 

I still want to add a few more of these - but I'm hoping to be able to just buy the Pro edition, which already includes all of this stuff - and a LOT more. It's Pro, what can I say?!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I must say, I'm pretty excited about this whole thing. There's a lot I've been doing in Carrara that nobody's seen yet. I really want to show it off. 

I have posted some stills of the animations, like in my gallery for example, but those don't do the animations any justice - not in the slightest, in my opinion. To me, the animations look so much more impressive! 

Awesome! Thanks Desert Dude! Yeah... it's amazing how all of this works, right?

Excellent Paintings, my friend!!! Superb!

Thanks Dartanbeck! Yes, it is amazing how all this works. Watching this thread for yet more inspiration from the Carrara community. smiley

Thanks Man! I agree. Info2 did a wonderful thing here - starting this thread. Just that bit of a push and... bam. It's really neat getting this type of inspiration - for me at least. I think that, especially after the show starts to run live, that this thread may be very useful for other animation fans to see the rest of the story behing putting it all together.

If I do as info2 suggests and start another thread about the making of the show, it will certainly contain links to this thread, which will also have links back to it - so they should work together nicely! ;)

Dartanbeck.

It looks like you do not need motivation speak anymore. I am not going anywhere, but you have the motivation, you are going to study and you have a basic setup. Your ball is roling. It only needed a little push. Probably I cannot stop you anymore. It woke you up twice and I am hoping I have not giving you a sleeping problem. :)

One thing to end this, because you got it now, is something that works very good for me. If you are sitting behind your computer, you get new ideas, solutions and improvements, like how to place a hand or which light to use. But these are little ones. For the big ideas and changes you have to walk away from your computer! My favorite place, is sitting on the couch, with nobody around me and paper off course. Then I start thinking how can I solve this or what can I add and write everything down. The bigger ideas will come up if you do not have the scene in front of you. Or pop up when you do not expect them,like in the middle of the night.

Other viewers.

Thanks for keeping this thread on track, otherwise we wouldn't have got here. If you want to start something yourself, do it. There is no reason why you can't. You only need a basic idea and be open minded to study things. Because you can create with Carrara, it doesn't mean you can create something good. You need at least the basics about script writing and maybe the use of camera's. We as animators could be impressed if someone created a perfect walk up the stairs. But non animators wil think something like "he is walking up the stairs, so what." Believe me you need info about scriptwriting to impress a non animator. Search YouTube for instance for scriptwriting. There is not much for animation specific. But the rules are about the same for animation, other movies and novels.

The basic idea can be character (a troll, a robot with feelings), a scene (Western, space) or time area (caveman). From here you build. Or browse the Daz shop. A certain creature or building could be a starting point. You will never get the idea of a complete story in one moment. It comes in small steps. That is why you need a basic idea. Otherwise you have nothing to develop. Compare it to putting the seed for a tree in the ground. It can become a huge tree. If you put nothing in the ground, nothing will grow.

And read this thread. It has a lot of info. Post it here if you want. I think Dartanbeck and I have said the things needed, so this thread will go down slowly to lower regions. If you do not have direction with something on your own, you are limiting yourself. And it is a good learning tool. I know for sure Dartanbeck will meet new things he has to figure out and solve. Maybe a scene in the dark, or animate a chopped off arm.

You're right.. we've pounded this stake home, haven't we?

Yet... unless you're new to this forum, you already know that I do like to babble and share my thoughts... so I'll likely be adding to this as I learn from the courses and books.

I'll probably also add some notes regarding how I end up resolving problems that I come across in the writing, in this thread.

info2, I cannot thank you enough. As Rosie knows, I've been wanting to get this screenplay written for a  l o n g  time! I've written some here, some there....

Although you didn't actually give me a story (nobody could do that - because I have something very specific in mind about the heart of the story) you did show me how I am the one who holds the key - and that I'll likely need help - so I should go and get that help (books). I've already downloaded some free information and watched some excellent videos.

On top of all of that, besides watching PhilW's tutorials, I have another favorite show: Star Wars The Clone Wars, as many here already know.

Well, liking that show gives me the added benefit of having many really good 'behind-the-scenes' featurettes available to watch for free on YouTube. So I've consolidated them together into this playlist : Clone Wars Inspiration

There are more helpful (and fun!) features to watch along this path for other shows in this one: VFX Inspiration

Regardless of the title of the playlist, I think that VFX Inspiration has a lot more to offer than just studying Visual Effects. It has a bunch of behind-the-scenes features that apply to all sorts of subjects. I'll likely add to this one as I find more things to add.

The Clone Wars one has some really good tips and tricks hidden within it. That's why I feel lucky - I just enjoy watching them. So as I watch, I get to pick up on some really good professional hints from Joel Aaron, who does the visual effects. In my opinion, visual effects work goes hand-in-hand with turning animated renders into something worth watching.

Also in those, we see editing advice from some real masters - talk about story creation and how the art department takes the story and turns in into the right look for the show - which is meant to look as if it was painted.

Throughout this thread, I have gone slightly off track for this and that... I have this way of connecting this to that as I think my way through things. Be sure to heed the words of info2, for he has really set me on track!

Thanks info2!

Like he says above, It tsakes a lot more than movements and clever animation. But animation takes a lot of practice if we want to pull it off without looking cheesy.

But I love what he was saying - we need a lot more than that. We are artists, not garbage collectors! We need to read books to understand the pacing of stories that helps to captivate the audience - because we need to convince the audience to watch the whole thing through to the end!

Watching movies and TV shows is one thing. Studying them is another. Over the years I've been paying attention to where the camera is - for how long - and why. Same with lighting and other effects that help to shape our moods as we watch. Go ahead and let the show shape your mood... watch it as it was intended. And if you come across something that you really, really like, watch it again. Own it so that you can take your time and study it. How did the editor cut the film to set the pace properly.

We cannot hold too long on a shot without boring the audience. But sometimes that's a very necessary thing. Sometimes if we don't hold long enough... we don't actually allow the watchers mind to consider... or to catch the joke... or to morn the loss. Timing is everything. And music and sound help to deliver this into the appropriate state of mind.

So if you don't like the Clone Wars, I feel for you. Take something you DO like and see if there's some good behind-the-scenes stuff for it. Maybe not. Behind-the-scenes has been a favorite thing among Star Wars fans over the decades, so there's a lot available. But just like the rest of the film making industry, George Lucas has also helped us by having other filmmakers follow in his footsteps with all of this sort of extra footage ;)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Strange that you mention Star Wars... I was thinking about all of them as well as others and even Stephen King books. Each had varying amounts of a comedic value also... I suppose to either lighten the film's more serious mood and also to appeal to a wider audience. Another example would be any action packed movie that Bruce Willis does or many action, drama etc, films/tv shows. You are the storyteller and occasional Babble-On man. :) ...so it's totally up to you. Don't let what I say affect the story you want told... I've see all your current YouTube videos which are quite good if not excellent. Oh I find that it is easier to read a manual or tutorial when the writer lightens the mood with a touch of comedy... keeps me from losing interest and keeps me reading onwards. But then I like comedies over dramas.

As far as writing down you ideas... I agree it's a must. What happens if you are out somewhere... perhaps a restaurant and Bam! ...an idea occurs and you have nothing to write on... Got a cell phone? just send a text message to yourself or voice message... Don't have the cell phone with you???? is there a napkin you can write on. I try to always carry a pen... but of course you usually can ask for one when needed.

Regarding complete episode... those with a beginning, middle and end.. I prefer these over a must watch continuing story.  There is absolutely, IMO, no problem with many episodes that introduce pieces of a continuing story that do carry over to the next or later episodes... gives me another reason for watching. Much the same was done by Asimov's "I Robot" and Heinlien's books.

As far as characters not aging one only needs to watch The Simpson's... look at how successful that is.

There is also no harm in an episode that enters a different timeline, flash forward or flashback... even an alternative universe. Perhaps your characters enter a cave or room and end up in outer space... "Where are we Rosie asks"... the possibilities are endless.

Hopefully anything above helps your creative mind.

edited September 2016

Yes, you do not need motivation speak anymore. You are also convinced you need books / course for scriptwriting. But I can assure you, you also need more background info for camera use. By figuring things out yourself you are limiting yourself if you do not use the info from experts. You really should have a look at the book "How to shoot video that doesn't suck." It will be an eye opener for you. Read the comments at Amazon.

I have been around, but Daz changed my username (Pjotter). Meanwhile I have been doing things which were one step more important (music). Now I have to make music video clips with animation.

Wgdjohn. Ever thought of starting your own project? You have no idea how much fun it is to develop something yourself. Once you get over the threshold (wanting to do it and finding a starting idea), you will be lifted off like Dartanbeck. And with Carrara it is super fun, because it makes things so easy. And you have plenty content.

I hope this thread is also motivational for the ones who play with Carrara but stay on that level. If you start to produce finished animations for the rest of the world, you uplift your animation level. Instead of creating a bit of this and then a bit of that, you can develop in one direction. Don't think you cannot do it, because you can. You only have to think you can. If you can create a scene or image, you can also create a project. Build on what you got. Or what you like.

There are many Carrara experts here and those could do very nice things if they would also start a project for themselves. It is much better then creating bits and pieces. After a while animation could become boring. "What should I create now." If you have your own original project on YouTube, you will never be bored. There will always be something to add, improve or change. Once you get started, ideas will pop up. Besides books and content, everything is free.

Post it here if you feel challenged.

Post edited by Pjotter on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I have been around, but Daz changed my username (Pjotter).

You can change your user name yourself  here.   

There was something of a hiccup on the previous forum software when a whole load of forum names got changed to the email addy name (ie store sign in name) and random number got added in the new software to make each person who used (info) as an email to be made individual.

Well, Pjotter is back. Thanks Chohole.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Funny you should mention this book. My Daughter just picked it up for $2 and a bunch of other animation books each for $2 at a book sale for the local youth center.

Funny you should mention this book. My Daughter just picked it up for $2 and a bunch of other animation books each for $2 at a book sale for the local youth center.

Your daughter must be a really cool person! She's always impressing me via your posts! 

Yeah... my book has shipped... anxiously awaiting it's arrival!

Man... she's into Carrara, vfx, animation... Bravo!

As her Concept Art foundations course doesn't start unti Jan she is laying out her own work somester until then and the script writing was part of what she wants to do so it fit nicely for the English assignment part. She is also setting up times for layout of scene's caracter creation, life drawing, she found a book about digital lighting in 3d Apps so is using that as well looking at Blender. But we will see what she actually gets done.

As her Concept Art foundations course doesn't start unti Jan she is laying out her own work somester until then and the script writing was part of what she wants to do so it fit nicely for the English assignment part. She is also setting up times for layout of scene's caracter creation, life drawing, she found a book about digital lighting in 3d Apps so is using that as well looking at Blender. But we will see what she actually gets done.

Fantastic! I'm really glad, too, how I can tell that you are very proud of her... I am too! That's a really good way to learn on your own. Set up ones own semester of study, and stick to it - doing homework all along the way.

Like in the VFX course that she's in (I already took)... the homework isn't manditory to pass. But if we don't do the homework, most (if not all) of the value of the course will truly be lost - even if it feels otherwise. Thinking that we understand is vastly different than doing it to make sure we have it down! 

I could tell in the classroom conversations that those whom did the homework were the only people who had difficulties with it. Because it all takes practice. Those difficulties happen to everybody - whether it's admitted or not. Just that sometimes, when we practice a LOT and really understand the software, we might not notice the difficulties as much because we can quickly come back with an answer to what's not quite right. Practice. Homework is valuable practice!

Did you take that vfx course with her? It's an amazing ride through the history of filmmaking - since vfx have been necessary ever since people started making movies!

She took it and took about 8 hrs a week and whe downloaded it all so I am going to get to it sometime.

When we talked about it she thought it would give her a better idea of what could be done post and what can't.

This is to give her a better idea of what is possible to help her get a leg up when she graduates, The Same reason she is taking concept art is it gives her a extra skill set and will make her animation course easier as some of the classes will have already been taken once. 

edited September 2016

Absolutely it will. Understanding this stuff is HUGE! Yeah... that's cool how: Once we download the whole course (Which is offered throughout the course... we're not talking piracy here) it's incredible how we can completely take the whole course over again if we want to! 

When I sterted saving the course, I used numeric prefixes starting with "001 - " and included all images and videos, extra files, etc., using that same prefix... so that whole part is in the same part of the folder. So now I can see the whole course and access it all with a click. And that's huge value right there.

Having it is something. The real magic comes when we set aside the time to follow that all the way through and DO ALL OF THE HOMEWORK! It's just awesome!

Future Learn has a lot of excellent Free courses, with excellent instructors (so far in my experience) It's a great way to enhance our skills and learn whole new ones! In the Future Learn method... some of the best learning comes from doing the suggested homework and getting into that classroom discussion and talk about (and show off) your results. It reminded me of being part of the family of this forum. 

FutureLearnVfx4Simon.jpg
    673 x 496 - 183K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    Chohole said:

I have been around, but Daz changed my username (Pjotter).

You can change your user name yourself  here.   

There was something of a hiccup on the previous forum software when a whole load of forum names got changed to the email addy name (ie store sign in name) and random number got added in the new software to make each person who used (info) as an email to be made individual.

Chohole, you totally Rock! Can I say that out loud? 

Pjotter said:

Well, Pjotter is back. Thanks Chohole.

Wow! All this time, info2 is my pal... Pjotter!!! I think we've been chatting back and forth since I first found this forum back in... what... 2009?

Absolutely it will. Understanding this stuff is HUGE! Yeah... that's cool how: Once we download the whole course (Which is offered throughout the course... we're not talking piracy here) it's incredible how we can completely take the whole course over again if we want to! 

When I sterted saving the course, I used numeric prefixes starting with "001 - " and included all images and videos, extra files, etc., using that same prefix... so that whole part is in the same part of the folder. So now I can see the whole course and access it all with a click. And that's huge value right there.

Having it is something. The real magic comes when we set aside the time to follow that all the way through and DO ALL OF THE HOMEWORK! It's just awesome!

Future Learn has a lot of excellent Free courses, with excellent instructors (so far in my experience) It's a great way to enhance our skills and learn whole new ones! In the Future Learn method... some of the best learning comes from doing the suggested homework and getting into that classroom discussion and talk about (and show off) your results. It reminded me of being part of the family of this forum. 

yes it is good way to learn if they are done properly and these do seem to hit that mark.

I see they have a beginning screen writing starting on the 12th of September.

yes it is good way to learn if they are done properly and these do seem to hit that mark.

I see they have a beginning screen writing starting on the 12th of September.

Wow. I knew there was a September Class... thanks for pointing that out.... this is one of those I was talking about earlier in the thread. I must have accidentally NOT registered... but I've just remedied that, thnks to you! ;)

Here we go! With my new ideas formed to an almost complete screenplay, this is really good timing to take this and use what I learn to work with what I've been building! Work Work Work is so much better than Think Think Think. I've been stuck in the latter for quite some time. Then Pjotter comes back home to the forum and lit a fire under me arse!!! ;)

Thanks you all!!!

An Introduction to Screenwriting

ABOUT THE COURSE

Screenplays form the starting point for most dramatic films, the essential work from which all other filmmaking flows. All of the tender romance, terrifying action and memorable lines begin at the screenwriter’s desk. This free online course will introduce you to the basic elements and key concepts behind a professional screenplay.

The University of East Anglia’s School of Literature, Drama and Creative Writing have built this course with instructors and recent alumni from their famed course in Creative Writing.

Where could this course take me?

The course is a must for anyone new to scriptwriting and for more experienced writers who wish to raise their scriptwriting to a professional level. It will establish a common vocabulary for approaching the screenplay and form the basis for upcoming courses in dramatic adaptation, the crime screenplay, and other genres and skills.

What and how will I learn?

You’ll learn from a mixture of basic theory, script analysis and practical exercises. We will explore key principles as they’re expressed in great films, then immediately apply these concepts. Videos, articles and discussion steps will offer you the opportunity to learn and engage with other learners on key concepts and ideas.

By the end of the course, you will understand the key concepts necessary to write an effective screenplay and be fluent in the language used to discuss the form.

Meet the educator

Michael  Lengsfield

Michael Lengsfield

Screenwriter Michael Lengsfield teaches scriptwriting at the University of East Anglia, where he specializes in the theory and practice of dramatic adaptation. @Film_Adaptation

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited September 2016
    Pjotter said:
    Wgdjohn. Ever thought of starting your own project? You have no idea how much fun it is to develop something yourself. Once you get over the threshold (wanting to do it and finding a starting idea), you will be lifted off like Dartanbeck. And with Carrara it is super fun, because it makes things so easy. And you have plenty content.

Of course... however Dart has been putting his "ducks in a row" for quite awhile... looks like he finally has them all together now. While I have had Carrara for quite some time, version 4 Pro, I've only recently, 8.5 Pro, finally taken the time to start diving deeper into it's many features. My main objectives from the start of my 3D endeavors started back in the 90s have been modeling and animation. Just this year I've been entering the Carrara Challenges which force me to learn Carrara better by create finally rendering my rather simple objects at the present and use them in a scene... often some of the vast array of content I have. Along with each scene I do make up a short one paragraph, or even a single line for the description/story-snippet for the scene.

From my past learning on creating a story is that a main concept or idea would start a project. Then comes A) the beginning-introduction of your main characters and setup to the story, perhaps it is a puzzle to solve... then C) the end-where and or how your characters end up... all good stories have some kind of twist at the end, some more twisted, very unsuspected/surprise ending, than others. OK now for the meat of the story B) how we get from A to C... into of other characters at various points which come and go or only last a short time perhaps even one who only appears near the beginning and near at the end or even pops up every so often/seldom during the story. While we do get through the entire story perhaps a question or another happening to the main characters is introduced... whalla... we have the lead in/a hint to the next episode as well as the whole story/adventure of these characters isn't over quite yet.

Oops.. didn't mention that IMO an episode=a chapter... each with it's ABC/BME. They are part of a much longer story with it's own BME. At anytime the storyteller/videomaker has the option to end a story, wrap it up, and tell an entirely different/unrelated one or even no other stories/videos at all.

Gotta go... dinner nearly burnt. :(

Post edited by wgdjohn on