Poser 10 Library pane error

Hello everyone,

So, my copy of (32 bit) Poser 10 is installed on a Win10 (64bit) machine, and for the last few months it's been throwing this error which basically makes the program barely usable because the library pane doesn't load afterwards.

I did a google search and found lots of different advice. So I tried reinstalling, turning off Windows Firewall, running as admin (and combinations thereof), but can't seem to get rid of the error.

It would be awesome if anyone here shared some tips on fighting this.

Thank you!

Comments

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215

Make sure you have all the latest patches for Poser 10 - http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-10-updates.html

Update your Flash install - https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

IIRC, Poser 10 still uses Adobe Air for the Library pane active display. You can download the newest version of Adobe Air, here, just in case there's something missing in your system that Poser needs: https://get.adobe.com/air/ (Note: Some updates to Adobe Air, even those included in "redistributables" like with versions of Internet Explorer "break" Poser 10's Library Pane active display until Air is reinstalled/reinitialized.)

Make sure to give Poser's executable full administrator access. Do not rely on just "Run as Admin." That won't allow all the permissions it needs. Change it to always run in Admin mode under the "Compatibility" tab. (Right-click the .exe, go to Properties, Compatibility tab (May differ slightly in Win10, I wouldn't know.)

If you have Internet Explorer 11 installed (Don't know if you chose "update" or "full install" for Win10) then delete it. You don't need it in Win10 and it may get rid of any weird Adobe Air redistributables it came with/updated.

Make sure your video card drivers are also up to date.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Thank you for the tips! Most of them were already in effect (I'm fairly religious about security updates of stuff like Flash, Java etc), but just in case, I did try the standalone installers - before and after disabling IE11. But even disabling that IE11 (which must have enabled itself back after the 1607 upgrade, hmm) didn't help. Poser doesn't load the library pane.

So I did some more googling which told me which SWF file is responsible for the library: ..\Smith Micro\Poser 10\Runtime\ui\Flex\LSMGUI\bin-release\LSMGUI.swf

I opened it in Firefox, and it shows the Poser library! All the commands are operational, even saving. So it's a bit cumbersome to deal with, but at least it works.

edited August 2016

So I did some more googling which told me which SWF file is responsible for the library: ..\Smith Micro\Poser 10\Runtime\ui\Flex\LSMGUI\bin-release\LSMGUI.swf

I opened it in Firefox, and it shows the Poser library! All the commands are operational, even saving. So it's a bit cumbersome to deal with, but at least it works.

Ah, thanks for that file location! I didn't know that.

On Firefox behavior - It's designed to do that for anything that can use it, so it should certainly work like that in any app that could use Shockwave Flash objects and allows input and has the appropriate permissions.

I'm thinking your issue is related to Windows 10 and the way it handles permissions/security. Something is not allowing Poser to activate/use the flash app to display the library pane. A few things to consider: (In the order that you should try them)

1) Try re-associating/re-adding the specific Runtime Directory to your Library pane, again. Sometimes this helps refresh things.

2) (You should make sure this is done, anyway) When you "Run as Administrator" are you running Poser by right-clicking on it and choosing "Run as Administrator" or have you changed its properties under the Compatibility tab (or whatever Win10 uses) to Always Run as Administrator? They're two different things, really. Right-click running as Administrator only gets as far as the main application. After that if, for instance, it uses other apps to access things outside of its directory structure, those will not have the necessary "Administrator" privileges. This is why, for instance, if you download a program installer and it can't install the program, it's because it can't run the other executables to create directories/move-replace files/etc. But, changing it from the Compatibiltiy tab to Run as Administrator will give a persistent Administrator permission. Make sure Poser is configured this way. This will also prevent problems with Python scripts and such that engage in indepent activities or run external Python scripts.

3) I would also suggest you delete your Poser preference files so that Poser will reconstitute the factory-default files upon the next restart. That way, you're sure that there isn't some weird configuration issue that Poser has picked up which is causing the problem. (Those files are safe to delete, but you'll lose your custom settings. Default files will be generated the next time Poser starts and you can just set everything back up the way you want it, from scratch.) See here for instructions: https://support.smithmicro.com/customer/portal/articles/1982174-solving-weird-issues-with-poser-by-removing-the-preferences

4) (Make take a long time to move, but is worth it if the runtime you're using is in a difficult-to-deal-with directory) Where you actually have placed your runtime library in your system directory structure matters a great deal in some versions of Windows. Certain directories are more protected than others. For instance, Poser 11 installs its content folders in the "Public" directory for Win7 and up in order to avoid issues with appropriate permissions being granted by the OS. So, where have you installed your version of Poser and what directory is/are the runtime library you're trying to access? Try moving your runtime directory to a different location, preferably NOT in any of the "Program" or "System" folders. Most people would recommend having your runtime directory either coming off the main root directory or in a user-designated folder, which you can customize permissions for in an easier manner.

5) (Should be fine to do. If you use IE11 a lot, or Shockwave Flash enabled apps/browsers) make sure that you check for Adobe Air updates. Firefox practically boycotts Shockwave, for good reason, so not much to worry about, there.) Back when Microsoft forced an IE 11 install on me when I wasn't looking, after uninstalling it, my Poser library pane still wouldn't display. (2012 maybe?) I installed the Adobe Air app and that fixed the issue.

Good job on finding a "kludge" to get access to your Library pane! (Show initiative and stick-to-it-tiveness!) I'm sorry you're still having issues accessing it from Poser, though. That you can run that swf does, at least, show that not everything is broken. :)

Edit - Put the suggestions in the best order for you to try.

Post edited by Morkonan on

Thanks =)

1) You mean re-adding from "Firefox" library?

2) Yup, it's been fully configured like that for a while.

3) Did it again. Didn't help =(

4) Nope, don't worry, no libraries in protected folders =) 

5) Adobe Air installer says I have the latest version.

edited August 2016

Thanks =)

1) You mean re-adding from "Firefox" library?

2) Yup, it's been fully configured like that for a while.

3) Did it again. Didn't help =(

4) Nope, don't worry, no libraries in protected folders =) 

5) Adobe Air installer says I have the latest version.

1) From within Poser, itself. Start Poser, wait for everything to load up, on the top-right of your Library Pane, you'll see two buttons. Click the one with the "+" sign and has the mouse-hover note "Add Library." It may take a second or three if Poser was still trying to index, but after that you should get a dialogue box where you can navigate to the runtime Library you want to add. Also, just in case the Library is already added, but isn't being displayed, click the dropdown box above the library index. It may currently have a runtime Library listed or may say "All." There, choose your library. ("ALL" should display a list of libraries with the current "open" one showing its details.

5) Do you have Google Chrome installed? Just wondering. I'm not sure if Poser 10 uses the Chromium Embedded app, which basically acts as a browser inside a client application. Poser 11 seems to use it. It could be possible, I suppose, for a conflict to be had there, somewhere. It shouldn't be, but I'm no programmer, so wouldn't know.

Came across this thread, in case I hadn't linked it before: http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?102144-Let-s-Talk-Library/page5

See "Karibu" post.(#87) There's a detailed "How To" that might work for you. It's for Poser 11, but you may be able to get your problem fixed by following it if it appears to use the same architecture. (Backup whatever files you'll need to change, etc, you're the one responsible for exploading your system, etc.. :) )

1)  Well this will have to be from Firefox because I don't get anything in Poser where the library pane should be, just an empty rectangle. After I click the message in the screenshot attached to the first post, the message goes away and nothing else is there.

2) Thanks! I checked it out, but Poser 10 seems to have no matching .exe (and no AIR folder like that), only that SWF file.

I'll try to re-add libraries from Firefox and see if it somehow resets the interface. But I guess I can live with the "browser-based" pane - if anything, all the icons look larger and text more legible in Firefox because it has my whole screen rather than a portion of Poser window.

Thank you for all the advice and tips!

• Poser uses Internet Explorer, regardless of the system default browser.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Poser 10 only has the internal library, which uses Flash - the version that is installed with Internet Explorer (no matter which browser you use, no matter if you installed Flash in your prefered browser).

Windows 10? Do you still have a version of IE?

Did you try running IE and updating Flash Player there?

https://get.adobe.com/de/flashplayer/

Only PoserPro2014 has the additional external library which uses Adobe Air ...

I tried activating and reactivating "Internet Explorer" via the Windows Components tab, but it doesn't seem to have an effect, and Flash installers all tell me I have the latest versions. I have both "NPAPI" and "PPAPI" installs.

I'm wondering after it all if the problem is that my Windows language is Russian.

Did you activate IE, start it and download/install Flash with IE?

I'm wondering after it all if the problem is that my Windows language is Russian.

Hmm... I don't know if localization is an issue with that. Do you have any directory structrues which use Cyrillic letters? If so, that could possibly be an issue if Poser can not interpret those correctly.

• Kerya said:

If you think it may change something, I'll try this weekend.

Morkonan said:

Hmm... I don't know if localization is an issue with that. Do you have any directory structrues which use Cyrillic letters? If so, that could possibly be an issue if Poser can not interpret those correctly.

Not in the known Poser paths, but who knows what exactly Poser is checking its calls against.

Kerya said:

I do - because Poser works only with the Flash version installed with IE.

You can have more than one Flash version on your computer - each is individual for a browser. And SM went with IE, unfortunately.

edited September 2016
    Kerya said:

Morkonan said:

Not in the known Poser paths, but who knows what exactly Poser is checking its calls against.

I just downloaded the latest patch. I read through the varioius patches, looking for hints, and noticed that SR4 has fixes for certain non-Western characters and accent marks that could be in a critical path. The thing with stuff like that is sometimes just one, somewhere that Poser happens to glance at, could cause a halt to a necessary process. Just make sure you're updated all the way to SR5, the latest patch.

PS _ I never used IE 11. Though, I have kept Flash up-to-date, independently, even though I don't make much use of it. (Firefox user, mostly.) IE 11 is set to autoupdate, for me, though. IE 11 sucks... It should be taken out behind a barn and put out of our misery. (And, it was, with Win10.) Oh.. .and Flash sucks, too. :)

• Morkonan, yes I do have this service pack.

Kerya, when I go to the Flash download link in IE, it says the following: "Flash Player is integrated with Internet Explorer in Windows 10. You do not need to install Flash Player." It also shows a test animation that means Flash works in IE. Avast says all my Flash versions are up-to-date (it keeps track of certain Windows components, too).

So I guess we're stuck.

But as I said, I can live with that.

Thanks everyone!

...I thought IE was bad fifteen years ago, but it only gets worse!! Incredibly slow.

• . Avast says all my Flash versions are up-to-date (it keeps track of certain Windows components, too).

Avast isn't mucking about with things, is it? I can't recall the ports, at the moment, but Poser used to require, and likely still does, a number of Firewall ports in order to handle computation processes. This is entirely normal and Poser calls/communicates with a lot of things/processes.

Check Avast for Firewall blocks and make sure it's not preventing Poser from doing what it needs to do. Also, check Windows Firewall, if you're somehow using that, instead, and make sure it has given Poser the clearance it needs to those ports!

On "First Run" of Poser, you should have been notified that it requires port accesses. In fact, the more I think of it, the more that this very well might be your problem! Srsly... This could be it!

I found this, for example, for Poser 9 listing as the issue that the Library Pane has dissappeared! https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2837364 Check your manual for Poser 10 (I don't have it any more.) Or, check Smith Micro's help/site for Port listings if you don't see specific entries/requests in either Avast or Windows Firewall or your Network connections/port lists.

/fingers crossed for you

:)

• I run the basic Avast that doesn't include firewall functions. As for Windows firewall, I have added Poser and that SWF file to exclusions, but it doesn't seem to change anything. Next weekend I may try turning firewall off again and see...

• I run the basic Avast that doesn't include firewall functions. As for Windows firewall, I have added Poser and that SWF file to exclusions, but it doesn't seem to change anything. Next weekend I may try turning firewall off again and see...

Good luck, man! If you're still having issues, you can always try the official SM forum - https://forum.smithmicro.com/category/9/poser

edited September 2016

A quick update:

After the latest patch, I was having some weird issues with scripts not finding the information they needed and crashing Poser unless I did a little workaround trick. Investigating further, I found that deleting several "generated" files besides the ones normally recommended cleared up my issues. It also reset my Library pane and cleared up a small problem I had with it.

So, basically, besides deleting the Poser.ini, Libraryprefs.xml and the PoserUI Prefmap.xml (Which I think are the ones normally recommended), you can delete the PoserUI *x*.xml (custom resolution UI settings), LibraryState.xml (contains your library display prefs) and the RenderFirefly.cfg (or any other Render*.cfg currently generated) and the preferredstate.pz3 file, which is the customized prefered pz file scene loaded when you start Poser, if you've made one besides the default "Andy" scene.

The reason I offer these up is because some of them "could" contain references that might be returning your Poser install to a state that's causing you issues no matter what you do to try to solve the problem. So, for instance, let's say you try some workarounds outside of Poser. Normally, those might work. However, because one of the Library configs references the library a certain way, Poser doesn't care what you just did. And, let's say you start Poser and make some changes, hoping to fix something. Well, if one of those configs is borked up/corrupted/has had issues with a recent patch, the changes you made may not matter the next time Poser starts, since it'll load up the bad info once again.

Once I removed (cut/pasted them to another directory, for safekeeping) these files, Poser was able to fully restore itself to a factory-default state. After that, I had none of the issues I had before the latest patch. <shrug> So, for what its worth, it may help you, too. :)

PS - All these files are in the default "AppData\Roaming\Poser" directory where the Poser.ini file is. (I think it's the same for 10 as 11.)

• I'll try, thanks!!