Looking for beta testers for lineart / toon product

Comments

• BeaBea Posts: 743

There are some lovely images here :)

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited September 2016

Holy cow.  This is definitely going on the shopping list.

As another dabbler in toon art, I have to ask:  have you tried it with my own Mephistopolis Noir or Skunkville Noir shaders yet?  If so, how'd they work together (or against one another)?

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • Those are amazing images, KA1!  I can't wait to try this out when it hits the store.  I'd also be interested in how well it works with other shaders like Eustace's Mephistopolis Noir or Skunkville Noir shaders.  I would love to see examples of how well they mix.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited September 2016

So, here are some images from me to illustrate how versatile LineRender9000 is.  It allows you to explore your own artistic individuality and create a variety of different techniques while also allowing you to save settings to duplicate work you like on a regular basis.

I don't have any special shader sets to work with, but it works with shader cameras, so it allows you to work with additional cameras such as Sketch Cam to mix into your work.

It is an incredible product.  You guys are going to love it.

001.jpg
    797 x 1024 - 214K
    ToonCam_IV_Composite_render02a.jpg
    484 x 620 - 125K
    003.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 76K
    007.jpg
    797 x 1024 - 184K
    005.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 59K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited September 2016

And some more...

A couple have bad forum compression syndrome, and though some may appear the same, they are all quite different from their look-alikes...

TwoToneComposite_render03a.jpg
    484 x 620 - 66K
    jpg
    jpg
    004.jpg
    004.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 75K
    002.jpg
    797 x 1024 - 112K
    r01.jpg
    484 x 620 - 57K
    006.jpg
    797 x 1024 - 101K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Almost too many choices here!

hurry Daz QA! (thanks to the beta-testers for the test renders and looking forward to this and future products, @digneo)

--ms

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

As another dabbler in toon art, I have to ask:  have you tried it with my own Mephistopolis Noir or Skunkville Noir shaders yet?  If so, how'd they work together (or against one another)?

OMG!! I totally forgot I even had the Skunkville Noir shaders!! (I purchased them in my early Daz days and couldn't figure out how to use them as I was THAT new to it all, pretty sure thats a non issue now!) I'll get some work in with those ASAP.

• Very interesting mid tone grain effect! Looking forward to the iray equivalent.

Do provide some render speed (for performance-nut animators like myself lol)

I'm thinking of using this kind of cam for iray interactive workflow, as a fast one click viewport display options...

• djigneodjigneo Posts: 283

Mythmaker said:

Very interesting mid tone grain effect! Looking forward to the iray equivalent.

Do provide some render speed (for performance-nut animators like myself lol)

I'm thinking of using this kind of cam for iray interactive workflow, as a fast one click viewport display options...

Well, to be clear, the line output files only get generated from 3Delight, because it uses the 3Delight outliner feature. Any renderer is supported as an automated render pass and part of the composite image. I haven't tried any of the shader cameras in conjunction with IRay.

The 3Delight renders I've done have all been fairly fast (1-2 minutes), depending on the scene setup & image size. Having complicated lighting, high pixel samples, low shading rate, ambient occlusion, etc will make the render times longer. The LineRender9000 script has options to disable lights and shadows, so it's possible to have a complex scene that takes a long time to render for the main image alongside a bunch of line art (LineRender) passes that should go rapidly under those circumstances. In addition, several of the included cameras ignore material shaders altogether, just displaying the scene based on geometry, so when using those cameras surfaces shouldn't increase render times.

I haven't used this in conjunction with your shaders (yet). Based on what I'm seeing in your product descriptions, one could easily use shaders such as yours as the "main color" of the image, and use LineRender9000's features to get constant-width line art to be composited on top. It sounds like @KA1 is going to experiment a little, so there may be some examples on the way.

• This is going to be a great addition to DS.

Hey DAZ, please put this in the store soon, thanks!

• djigneo said:

I haven't tried any of the shader cameras in conjunction with IRay.

Iray uses a different shading language, so they most likely won't work. 

I'm not half as much an artist as the other beta-testers are, so my tests are artistically laughable. What I'd like to point out, though, is that you can do anything your image editor (for static images) or compositing software (for image sequences) lets you to individual passes, so you can recolour them etc. For instance, here I used Paint.NET "monochrome ink on paper" plugin to get the shadow camera output to be dark blue. And then you can use all sorts of blending modes, transparency brushes etc.

And it's LAMH hair in this render, BTW.

a5_lr9k_compPdN.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

@KA1

This is great.

edited September 2016

Okay, I'm not a dab hand with your shaders yet Eustuce but just with a basic test with Skunkville Noir Style 1.1 I can see that, depending on style required, LR9k plays quite nicely with your shaders:

SkunkvilleLR9Kstyle.png
    2000 x 1300 - 933K
    Post edited by KA1 on

A couple more LR9k examples from testing - 

First up playing around with outlines and shadow opacity cam for a sketch/drawing effect - rendered and composited in Daz Studio - no post work:

And trying some ideas out with the Toon 2 Tone cam -

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    KA1 said:
    3dOutlaw said:

Do you (or any beta testers) have any samples of using this for building scenes, versus nature.  I am curious how it may handle all of various colors of a street with shops or something like that? 

Okay, here are a couple of street samples (same scene using different cams and composite blends) - One major thing to note with these is I was using the standard 3Delight textures as opposed to any preparation with say Visual Style Shaders or anything that I usually set my scenes up with. Although I do like the results with a sets standard textures for a lot of the toon renders I personally do I find the standard textures can be too detailed. 

All of these have no postwork - all rendered and composited within Daz Studio using LR9k

Ugh, I got unsubscribed! I like the bottom right one, thanks. I will play with it and post back. ☺
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Not bad at all!  ;-)  Thanks for the render samples!

• I definetly like the look from that Toon 2 Tone cam.  Any word on release date yet?  Hopefully soon!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Well some of those toon renders have the beginnings of a watercolor look and even without I'm interested in this product.

• KA1 said:

Okay, I'm not a dab hand with your shaders yet Eustuce but just with a basic test with Skunkville Noir Style 1.1 I can see that, depending on style required, LR9k plays quite nicely with your shaders:

I like it-- a LOT!  How much of a sales cut are you getting from each sale, because you just cinched another one!

A concept page for a comic/grapic novel testing LR9k - 

And in two tone/Black&White -

The latter would probably need some thought on the style for the narration boxes, but I think you can see the potential :)

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    KA1 said:

A concept page for a comic/grapic novel testing LR9k - 

And in two tone/Black&White -

The latter would probably need some thought on the style for the narration boxes, but I think you can see the potential :)

Damn, I new I should have volunteered to test the product; although I haven't the time, and likely lack the skills.

• This looks like a great addtion to the Daz Studio toolset.   Any idea when it will be available?

This looks like a great addtion to the Daz Studio toolset.   Any idea when it will be available?

Recent correspondence seems to suggest testing was successful (because my beta team already caught everything). You'd probably know more than me how these things go, time-wise. =)

I'm hoping this week, but have no baseline for my guess.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Wow. This will be a must-buy. I could use it right this minute on my current project, I think!

• Must buy for me too! 

Don't forget to post to the Daz PA Commercial Products forum to let folks know about this exciting new product!

• There is a gazillion ways to use LR9K, and what I like to do is add some layers/postprocessing. Paint.NET again. The background is a paper texture from an old freebie by Atenais (Rendo), and there is an outline layer from LR9K on top. It's duplicated, and one copy has a little motion blur effect at an angle, to add a bit of "calligraphy". Both outline layers are set to multiply.

Vicky_Dancer_lr9k_atenais.jpg
    1088 x 1280 - 676K
    edited September 2016

Here's something from some recent experimentation. This one uses a custom shader I've been working on to support my graphic novel endeavors. 

Post edited by Chohole on
  • I have been looking for something just like this for ages! This will be a must purchase for me, tell Daz to hurry up and put it up for sale already, lol. 

• djigneo said:

Here's something from some recent experimentation. This one uses a custom shader I've been working on to support my graphic novel endeavors. 

Looks great, djigneo! Congratulations on your first product (seems like it has a bunch of support already), and good luck with your graphic novel project, too.

- Greg

djigneo said:

Looks great, djigneo! Congratulations on your first product (seems like it has a bunch of support already), and good luck with your graphic novel project, too.

- Greg

Thanks, Greg.

Let me know if you ever want to give up the secrets of your mysterious algorithms. This product is pretty much your "step 1".  =)