Carrara Challenge #27 -Voting open! Come and see the amazing work!

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
edited September 2016 in The Commons

Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign”

voting thread is here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/110486/carrara-challenge-27-carrara-9-give-us-a-sign-entry-thread

Greetings fellow artists.

Feel like guaranteed fun combined with education and the chance of winning prizes that will have you jumping out of your second skin?

Then please feel free to join us at our latest Carrara Challenge at  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/106046/carrara-challenge-27-carrara-9-give-us-a-sign-wip-thread/p1

This month's Carrara challenge is based around Carrara herself.

And is proudly supported by our sponsors Fenric and Daz.

http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fenric

The challenge rules are slightly different this time. You can have up to three entries and the winner NO LONGER has to host the next challenge.

Please see the first page of the thread for more details.

Its been three years and three months since we started these challenges and everytime we hold a challenge we all learn something.

So, regardless of your ability, we'd love you to particpate. We have a special Honorary Mention Prize for artists who have just started Carrara.

regards

headwax :)

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited August 2016

As an example of the brilliant artists who use Carrara, here's a WIP example of what you'll find in that thread

The  artist is Dartanbeck.

You'll also find a detailed description of how he made it.

Post edited by Headwax on

Raiders of the Salient Software (4000 pixels wide - feel free to click!)

another beauty by famous Carrara Artist Stezza

Stezza said:

I've been working on a scene that seems impossible to get in Carrara and involves the letters F  M and C, some fins

and some springs.... with the use of modifiers and the help of LoRez items and some nurbs.

The Impossibles in Carrara?.................... hell yeah!......

The render shows the two spots that needed some postwork for blending..
    The Impossi-Mobile created with modifiers in Carrara and the Impossibles were created from LoRez Superhero all with modified textures and added bits like the M & shield for Multi-Man and the springs for Coil Man  .. Fluid Man's water is from JoLabs splashes.
    Text was using Carrara's text.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited August 2016

you're to kind blush

just picked up 3DU dragon ... quick render with badlands yes

Dragon Fire.jpg
    800 x 450 - 407K
    Post edited by Stezza on

wow, 3du should employ you as their salesperson - nice render :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

Having fun using filmmaker-style compositing to imagine a new feature of the mythical Carrara 9

The idea is that, one of the new features is a new working view panel, allowing us to set specific render modes to different elements within the scene - even adjust how these individual elements get rendered in the final output... again... just having fun fantasizing! :)

Another classic fantasty, inspired by artists who have really inspired my art over the years... artists like Larry Elmore, Frank Frazetta, Clyde Caldwell, etc., This style will always have a special place in my heart

• Does anyone know when Carrara 9 is coming out?? 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

"Jon isn't in a position to make "promises" on behalf of the Software Dev team. Jon [and "Rawb"—also known as "other Rob"] are Web Dev guys. The technical side of Daz Connect (i.e. figuring out how it will work, and then making it work) is a joint effort between the Web Dev and Software Dev teams, at the behest of executive management. The policy side of Daz Connect (i.e. deciding whether it exists at all, and when/what it is applied to) is up to Marketing and executive management.

Is Genesis 3 support being worked on for Carrara? Yes, it is. Will I give you a date on when a build that has Genesis 3 support is going to be publicly available? Sorry, I will not—not yet anyway.

I will say that support for dual quaternion skinning (a prerequisite for Genesis 3 support, and quite useful in its own right) has been implemented and has been with the Private Build testers for several weeks now. Feedback on the feature(s) thus far has been positive. I will also say that earlier this month the Private Build testers were asked what they thought about releasing a build with the dual quaternion skinning support. The responses we got basically boiled down to it not being enough to make much of a difference in the current climate. We [reluctantly] agree, and so decided to hold the feature until Genesis 3 support could be implemented.

And on that note, recently the Private Build testers were given a build that provides their first look at Genesis 3 support. Initial reactions have been positive, however there are a few things that we knew were not working correctly before we gave them the build. We are looking for [and getting] feedback from that team to help us suss out where the other problems are.

As for the question of Daz Connect support in Carrara... It is still a bit too early to commit. I know that is probably not what you want to read/hear, but that is all I can really say about it right now. There are still some things to be ironed out, and dealing with those things in two very complex applications at the same time—particularly with a team that runs on the lean side anyway—would be very unwise. Daz Studio is the proving grounds for Daz Connect integration.

-Rob"

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/944221/#Comment_944221

there's some terrific work in the Challenge thread, well worth a look see. The entry thread will be open soon too ;)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

Carrara9 DeepSpace Explorer - In search of..................

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1527131/#Comment_1527131

Really Nice Stezza and Dart, thank you for sharing! 

Entry thread opens tomorrow :) Keep them coming!

one more , 

There's some wonderful work so far in the entry thread.

Have a gander if you want to see what Carrara is capable of

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/110486/carrara-challenge-27-carrara-9-give-us-a-sign-entry-thread

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

deadline coming, was it tonight?

yes indeed!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited September 2016

...saw this thread too late, gave it a go but just ran out of time looking for a good street surface and getting lights set up.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

bummer, well there is one every six weeks roughly, so the next one will start soon ;)

Voting time has come!

Come on into this wonderful thread and check out the cool entries!!!

Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” Voting thread.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    head wax said:

bummer, well there is one every six weeks roughly, so the next one will start soon ;)

...yeah but this one didn't require any modelling or rigging, and I have already worked with 3D text.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    kyoto kid said:
    head wax said:

...yeah but this one didn't require any modelling or rigging, and I have already worked with 3D text.

usually there is an option to retexture something, in leiu of modelling.  retexture is soo much fun, enabling blurred reflections is a checkbox heart

i think i'se squeaking passed the newbie stage.  

could make screencaps of how to use the shader wizard if anyone interested?
    my current project is putting steampunkish shaders on some props and environs, trying to balance render speed with quality
    only haz 4 cores to render animation

that's very kind Misty!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Yes, often the requirement is to "customize" something, not necessarily to model something.  It does vary a little.

The important thing is that if anyone is interested to participate and has any questions on how to do something or achieve some effect, other people will generously explain how they would try to do it in Carrara - usually with screenshots of the UI.

Customizing could be changing the textures.  Customize could be using the 3D paint tool to stamp a tattoo on figure.  It could be growing Carrara hair for a mustache.  If you grow Carrara hair on a plane and color it green you could have a grassy field.  Customize could be inserting a terrain object and playing with the various filters until you get a valley or plateau you like.  Customize could be inserting a plant and playing with the branch and shape modifiers to get a custom plant.  Customize could be inserting a volumetric cloud and applying a replicator to create a storm front.  There are a lot of ways to customize something, not necessarily modeling from scratch.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited September 2016
    kyoto kid said:
    head wax said:

...yeah but this one didn't require any modeling or rigging, and I have already worked with 3D text.

Sorry you missed out... 3D text is cool.. and one of the first things I checked out to compare with my older 3D program.

The first challenge I tripped on early this year, January, was too far along for me to participate so I just followed it along adding suggestions and asking questions. I've not missed one since yet. My first entry I created my 1st Terrain for.. I've since learned a lot more about creating Terrains better... thanks to Dartanbeck's Building Carrara Terrains Intro.

What's so great about these Carrara Challenges?

• I consider each Challenge to help anyone regardless of their experience level and to learn Carrara's many features and too often overlooked tools.
    • When I get stuck or want an opinion Carrara Folks are always so friendly and helpful. They often go out of their way to help... so much so that I now do also.
    • By participating in a WIP or even just watching one can see projects come together and learn even more. I mentioned just a few examples when I voted.
    • It all seems to come together for the final entries. Carrara Challenge #27 shows a wide variety of techniques and what Carrara is capable of not to mention what Carrara is capable of.
    • Finally comes Voting for the entrants excellent work.
    • To vote go to the Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” Voting thread.  Note that not all work is shown... go to  Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread to see even more Carrara Artist's cool artwork. Peer around to see what the WIP looks like... how the amazing scenes came together.
    • If you are wanting to see even more other great Carrara Artwork check out Learning tips and tricks from prior Carrara Challenge WIP threads.  There are also many other sources in the Carrara Discussion or just ask... I and others will point to to them.
    • Myself being interested in 3D modeling and putting my objects to use these Challenges have been great. So much so that I created a thread just for modeling  Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All  for myself and others to learn Carrara's 2 modelers. Note that Hexagon, Blender etc. modelers are welcome there. Folks who help to answer questions range from PAs to well known and expirienced modelers, much better than myself. I appreciate all of their help very much.

Voting Ends at : 12.00 Midnight Saturday 17th September
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/salt-lake-city

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

If you are a non-Carrara user who happens to see this, you SHOULD follow the link and have a look:

- there are some wonderful pieces of artwork on display, a feast for your eyes;

- you get to see the many and varied ways that Carrara is being used, it might give you inspiration for your own artwork;

- we need your votes, there are so many great entries that it is difficult to decide!

PhilW said:

If you are a non-Carrara user who happens to see this, you SHOULD follow the link and have a look:

- there are some wonderful pieces of artwork on display, a feast for your eyes;

- you get to see the many and varied ways that Carrara is being used, it might give you inspiration for your own artwork;

- we need your votes, there are so many great entries that it is difficult to decide!

the diversity and the quality of entries astounded me

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Voting closes tonight - Get your votes in before the clock strikes midnight

Else your carriage will turn into a pumpkin. :)

VOTE HERE: Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” Voting thread