imort dwg dxf nothing happens

JimiaJimia Posts: 10
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I am trying import dwg or dxf files from autcad and no matter version i save in nothing appears when opened or imported into hexagon 2.5 ?

Comments

• edited October 2012

Look in your hexagon installed directory and see if you have a file called "adinit.dat".

I don't know if this affects DWG files or not, but it's absolutely necessary to open DXF files.

This file was included in all former versions of hexagon, but is mysteriously missing in 2.5.1.79.

ADD:

I just tried sending you the file by PM. Daz seems to have sent the file okay, but it won't let me open it from my "sent" folder. Tells me I'm not "authorized".

DAZ, QUIT BEING SO GODDAMNED ANAL!!!!

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • JimiaJimia Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Hi, yes the file in the hexagon directory

edited December 1969

Ive seen the pmyou sent i cant open it either

• edited December 1969

JimiA said:
    Hi, yes the file in the hexagon directory

It is? What version of hexagon are you using?

The reason I ask is that if you're running 2.5.1.79, then the only way adinit.dat could be in your directory is if you put it there from a different source - and the only reason you would put it there is if you've had this problem before and someone told you about it.

I hope you follow my reasoning there... :)

Ive seen the pmyou sent i cant open it either

No problem. It's a moot point if you already have it anyway. No harm, no foul. :)

Anyway, since you already have it we have to look deeper into what the problem is or how to work around it.

What version of autocad do you have? I have V11 and have few problems with DXF files from it.

Also, is there a reason you can't save your autocad file as an OBJ file?

edited October 2012

I am running Autocad 2012 and Hexagon 2.5.0.5 and this is the first time ive tried to use dwg or dxf, mabye the file got left behind from a previous hexagon installation. autocad dosent save as obj

Post edited by Jimia on
  • edited October 2012

JimiA said:
    I am running...Hexagon 2.5.0.5...mabye the file got left behind from a previous hexagon installation

No, all prior versions had the file so running 2.5.0.5 explains why you have it. It's only missing in 2.5.1.79

It's possible that 2.5.0.5 itself has a problem with DXF/DWG files independently of the adinit file. Maybe other users of that version can chime in here on that.

Also, you might want to think about downloading 2.5.1.79 and installing it. I *KNOW* that version has very few problems with DXF/DWG files.

If you do that, then SAVE YOUR COPY OF ADINIT.DAT before uninstalling 2.5.0.5, so you can put it back into 2.5.1.79's installed directory afterwards.

autocad dosent save as obj

My bad, you're right. Mine doesn't either.

However, you can export as 3DS, and hexagon can import that format (although I've never tried that).

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I've just checked - my 2.5.1.79 doesn't have the ADINIT.DAT file and I can't open a DXF that I do remember having imported before - don't remember which version.

Any idea where I can get one from?

I do have old versions saved on CD, but that would mean having to install to extract it, not so?

• edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Any idea where I can get one from?

Yup.

I do have old versions saved on CD, but that would mean having to install to extract it, not so?

Nope. :)

I sent you a PM - or at least I *THINK* I did...it's not showing up in my "sent" box.

edited December 1969

Thanks - got both and replied - cheers:)

• edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Thanks - got both and replied - cheers:)

Just sent it, Roy!!

Just drop it in the same directory as "hexagon.exe" and you'll be good to go!

• edited December 1969

Sheese! This website is getting on my nerves!

It keeps logging me out every few hours, and my PMs to you are STILL not showing up in my "sent" box.

Anyhow, I sent you the file using the "telkomda" address you gave me, but it bounced.

I looked up "telkomda" on the net and it asked if I meant "telkomSa"

Assuming a misprint, I re-sent the file via telkomsa. So far it hasn't bounced, so I hope you've received it.

edited December 1969

Yep, got it thanks - works just great.

Looking forward to hearing from you safe and sound after the passing of Sandy:)

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited December 1969

JimiA said:
    I am trying import dwg or dxf files from autcad and no matter version i save in nothing appears when opened or imported into hexagon 2.5 ?

Hexagon only reads the very basic of information from a DXF/DWG file. Other (possible) info within those files can cause issue.

It as been quite a long time since I used autocad, so my memory is not good for that. Can you check what the scheme/profile is for the DXF/DWG export? It should be exporting lines and polygons. If the export is set to output, for example "Surfaces and curves" then hexagon will not read the file.

You could have a look at the "open design alliance" file converter, to see if that may help. http://www.opendesign.com/guestfiles/TeighaFileConverter

• edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Looking forward to hearing from you safe and sound after the passing of Sandy:)

Hi Roy!! Well, I seem to have survived Frankenstorm!! :)

Thank you so much for your thoughts of me during this period!

Sandy tracked almost perfectly according to the major models. She accelerated prior to landfall and hit almost 4 hours ahead of predictions just before 6:00PM slightly south of Atlantic City. Coincidentally, I lost power only a few minutes after that. I thought I'd be down and out for days at that point, but bless Atlantic City Electric, they got it back on at 9:50PM.

While coastal areas up and down the eastern seaboard got HAMMERED, once she made landfall she seems to have lost a lot of power. There was no discernable "eye", and they tracked it by what they called the "center of rotation" along with barometric readings.

The data at this point seem almost obscure, but as near as I can figure this "center" passed within 5-15 miles south of my house sometime between 11:00PM and midnight - and for me, the storm was effectively over. Winds, which had for hours gusted often to roughly 50 mph or so, suddenly dropped off to little more than a stiff breeze, and this morning there's no wind at all. It's just wet and dank outside. :)

Even the rain never reached what I would call "torrential", although it was constant and heavy. I estimate 6" of rain fell at best over the 24 hr period. So for my immediate area, Sandy turned out to be more of a frankfurter - a little weenie - than a frankenstorm! :)

But lest I sound smug, I know I got lucky. Areas within a hundred mile radius of me were recording "record" wind gusts in excess of 80mph, and localized inland damage seems fairly extensive over a wide swath around me.

I'm gonna go make some breakfast now and watch TV to see how the assessment unfolds.

Thanks again for your thoughts, Roy! I'm safe and sound! :)

edited December 1969

So glad to hear that - from what I've seen on CNN, it was really horrendous. I'm very impressed with how well your emergency services are organized. There are some real nutters out there - saw one guy scuba diving in the street outside his house on Long Island, absolutely refusing to be evacuated.!

I live on a peninsular with the relatively warm Indian Ocean on one side and the cold Atlantic on the other, so we are used to some pretty severe gale-force storms, but nothing even close to Sandy.

Cheers

• edited December 1969

After watching the news for awhile, I now realize just how lucky I was.

As I mentioned in my previous note, I knew the coastal areas had been battered, but jersey's shoreline has been DEMOLISHED!

Even with news videos I'm having a hard time comprehending the devastation down there.

Jersey storms are notorious for moving sand around, but one town in north jersey is completely blanketed in 3-4 feet of sand!!! I mean - how the hell can you FIX something like that?!?!? Imagine your own house suddenly packed and surrounded by 3 ft of sand, and your entire property, and your neighbor's, and the streets, EVERYTHING as far as you can see - How do you REMOVE IT??? Where would you PUT IT???

A huge pier in Seaside Heights was washed away, leaving the wreckage of an entire roller coaster sitting in the ocean. Famous swimming beaches have been washed away, coastal homes are wrecked or gone by the thousands, the bays and canals are littered with flotsam that used to be buildings...and on and on...as governor Christie put it, the damage is "unthinkable".

I wasn't just lucky, I was DAMNED LUCKY almost beyond imagination that Sandy largely exhausted herself making landfall. As is said "There, but for the grace of god..."

• edited December 1969

Does anyone know how to get this working on a Mac?

I have a lot of old files in the dxf format from when I used to work in Bryce which is now unavailable to me as it doesn't work on new Macs.

I'd like to be able to open them in Hexagon but I get an error message and they refuse to import or open.

The folders mentioned in this thread don't seem to exist on my Mac installation.

• edited November 2012

Jon-3D said:
    I have a lot of old files in the dxf format from when I used to work in Bryce which is now unavailable to me as it doesn't work on new Macs

By "new macs", do you mean the intel macs? If so, you could load a windows VM on it and install the PC version of hexagon. If you have 2.5.1.79 you'd still need adinit though.

Another option may be going online and finding a DXF to convertor.

• jodajoda Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi !

It seems that i've got the same problem ... someone can send me the file adinit.dat please ?

thanks a lot