Bryce Bridge DazStudio

KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
edited October 2012 in Bryce Discussion

It doesn't like me!

Bryce_7.1.0.109
DazStudio 4.5.1.6

Whenever I try to send something to Bryce, DazStudio tells me:
the Bryce Bridge requires Bryce 7.1.0.73.

Trying the other way round, opening DS from Bryce:
I get a window to choose my version of DazStudio to run and there is nothing in the dropdown menu. It doesn't react at all.

?????????????????????
Help?

Edited to add: I am using the 64bit version of DazStudio ... do I really have to install the 32bit for the bridge to work?
Another edit: the Bridge to Hexagon doesn't work either ... it tells me I need Hexagon 2.5.1.52 or higher ...
I have 2.5.1.79 ...

Waaaah!

Post edited by Kerya on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2012

You are doing it the wrong way round, you don't send it from Daz Studio to Bryce, you imort it into Bryce from Daz Studio.

Close DS Open up Bryce, and click on the DAZ 3D icon on the top line right hand side.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Chohole, I could be mistaken but it should work just fine the way Kerya is using it. You should be able to start DS4 first, then use the send to bryce tool and a new instance of Bryce should be opened that is linked to the current ds4 instance, your content should then show up in Bryce as expected.

There is indeed something fishy going on with the Bridge. Here's how I understand it so far.

When Bryce 7 was released the only DS version available was DS 3.

When DS4 was released Bryce should have been updated but it wasnt. So that has led to a problem with the registry.

In the registry there are keys that tell Bryce 7 to search only for DS 3 and from there it is redirected to DS4 with proper updating. When DS 4 was first released users had to manually update the registry. Perhaps with DS 4.5 pro this is automatic with installation. Not sure. In your case manual will be best.

Just like you I get a dropdown menu that is blank, because Bryce 7 for me still thinks it is launching DS 3 when really it launches DS4. But the bridge operates fine for me.

In my own case, to get the bridge to DS 4.0 working I had to fiddle with the registry keys. Scary stuff. But doable and seems to still function with DS4.5.

So in case I've been unclear let me state it better.

Bryce 7 is not programmed to look for DS 4 or 4.5. Bryce 7 is hard wired to DS 3.

Because of this the user must manually edit the registry keys so that the link is redirected to launch DS4 or 4.5.

Even if you have never installed DS 3 on your system, the DS4 installer still adds registry keys for DS3 with redirect instructions to DS4. The bridge cannot function otherwise.

The sequence the software is installed matters a lot in some cases but perhaps not all. In my own case I already had Bryce 7 installed, and had originally been using DS 3 when DS 4 came out and had no problems with the bridge to DS4. But then I switched operating systems and had to start over on a new system that had never been exposed to a DS3 install. What I found was that the bridge to DS4 required me to add DS 3 keys even though I did not have need for DS3 on my system. So systems that had previously been exposed to DS3 did fine with Ds4 as well. It was the systems that had never seen Ds3 that had bridge problems to Ds4.

However there are other people who may have installed DS 4 first and then Bryce 7 afterward. I honestly do not know if installing Ds 4 first or Bryce first will bring about the best results. Either way Bryce 7 is still hard wired to seek DS 3 instead of Ds4. As stated above the newest DS4 installers should know how to update the registry to include the necessary keys to create an operation bridge. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Here's what I can do. I will provide you a link to the original thread in the old forum that explains how to do this. To see the images attached you might need to use Grease Monkey's script that displays the old forums properly. The information you need is provided as an image by a user named Steve Athome. See the archive thread below.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=166719&highlight;=

Hope this helps. Im surprised more people dont run into this problem, it was a big one for me. Best of luck.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    It doesn't like me!

Bryce_7.1.0.109
    DazStudio 4.5.1.6

Whenever I try to send something to Bryce, DazStudio tells me:
    the Bryce Bridge requires Bryce 7.1.0.73.

Trying the other way round, opening DS from Bryce:
    I get a window to choose my version of DazStudio to run and there is nothing in the dropdown menu. It doesn't react at all.

?????????????????????
    Help?

Edited to add: I am using the 64bit version of DazStudio ... do I really have to install the 32bit for the bridge to work?
    Another edit: the Bridge to Hexagon doesn't work either ... it tells me I need Hexagon 2.5.1.52 or higher ...
    I have 2.5.1.79 ...

Waaaah!

I have the same set up as you and every thing works fine .
    DS to Bryce and DS to Hex .
    You could try adding DS 32 bit - I do have that installed also . Might help .

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Thank you Rashad!
    I think you are getting near the problem - I looked at the registry and couldn't find a Bryce or a Hexagon folder under DAZ ...
    Something is borked.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Bryce must be installed first, Studio last. If Studio is already installed, install Bryce and re-install Studio over the existing installation. I have never had to fiddle in the registry. The picture shows that I have several installations of Bryce and Studio and all worked from the first moment.

Bryce 5.5 launches Studio 2.3 directly.
    Bryce 6.1 launches Studio 2.3 directly.
    Bryce 6.3 asks which Studio I want to launch, 2.3 or 3.
    Bryce 7.0 asks for Studio 3 either 32 or 64 bit.
    Bryce 7.1 asks for Studio 3 or 4 - with 3 it launches 3, with 4 it launches 4.5.

I don't know why it doesn't work for others the same way.

BryceStudio.jpg
    549 x 611 - 94K
    edited December 1969

Yes, Horo. You wont have a problem with any of it because you already had DS3 installed before you installed Ds4. It is for users who have never installed DS3 that this problem arises.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Ah - didn't know that bit. Thanks Rashad.

edited December 1969

Here is the thread where Steve first solved the mystery of the registry failures. This thread should jog the memories of both Chohole and Horo.
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2978930&highlight;=#2978930

Kerya,
    And just in case you are unable to view the images in the archive I have re-uploaded them with Steve's original instructions. There are two places to make registry edits, both on the DS side and the Bryce side.

Remember that if any of the keys are missing you will need to create them.

It seems that creating our own DS3 keys, while effective for the basic function of the bridge, seems to break the function of the drop down that should list which version of DS are available. For me I get nothing on the drop down but because of the registry edits it still starts DS4.5 for me.

Registry_2.png
    919 x 508 - 41K
    Registry_1.png
    981 x 669 - 77K
    edited December 1969

For me this issue of the registry problems breaking the Bridge to DS4 is just as important as the side by side configuration error. It's probably a good idea to add this information in a sticky.

Its a bit embarrassing that we have to edit the registry this way to use DS4 simply because Bryce hasnt been updated in over 2 years. ARGGGH!

edited October 2012

I poked around a bit more - it seems to have to do with me using a restricted account most of the time.
    I changed to being an administrator and then I DO have those registry keys and all bridges are working.
    Starting regedit as a user, I do get the first picture, as an administrator the second.

How do I create that line with InstallPath as a user?
    If I rightclick and say new I get a difficult choice of things ...

Edited to add: funnily as an administrator there is no key for Dazstudio3 ... but it works ...

registryadministrator.jpg
    771 x 447 - 86K
    registry.jpg
    909 x 396 - 77K
    Post edited by Kerya on
    edited October 2012

OK, it is Stringvalue (Zeichenfolge in German).
    That did it!
    Created install paths for DS3 (just used my path to DS4) and in DS4 and in Bryce7 and - wow ! Working bridge!

That's just leaving me with a nonworking Hexagon bridge ... which works as administrator ...
    But I couldn't find why a registry key like the one for Bryce7 for Hexagon, even as administrator, so I can't simply copy ...

Post edited by Kerya on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Sorry I I got confused here. I was told the bridge was all working right in DS 4.5. I have to go by what I am told, cos I don't use DS. I still bring my figures in Via Poser, which has always been my chosen Add on for Bryce :red:

edited December 1969

Yes, Horo. You wont have a problem with any of it because you already had DS3 installed before you installed Ds4. It is for users who have never installed DS3 that this problem arises.

I don't have DS 3 installed .

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Sorry I I got confused here. I was told the bridge was all working right in DS 4.5. I have to go by what I am told, cos I don't use DS. I still bring my figures in Via Poser, which has always been my chosen Add on for Bryce :red:

you are correct !
    it does work .

edited December 1969

I think my problem is stemming from having two accounts on my PC. Like I said: working as administrator the bridges are there ...
    There is just the small problem that the default registry entries don't work for a second user ...

edited December 1969

bigh said:

I don't have DS 3 installed .

Perhaps you dont have it installed anymore, but you might have had it installed in the past. Even if not the Ds4 installer still creates DS3 keys because the Bryce 7.1 Bridge requires them. If you check your registry you will likely find DS3 keys and if not then that would surprise me. However, I am not an expert on this but if Steve Athome sees this thread he may be able to chime in.

Kerya's permissions issue is a new observation and could well be the root of her problem. But do notice how after she applied the fix it did enable the bridge to operate in both admin and guest user modes, so if anything it has improved the flexibility of her bridge. But now shes got hexagon issues, no idea how to help with that but maybe it is another permissions issue.

Chohole,
    You are not wrong. No need to blush. The Bridge does work fine in DS4.5 for most people, but the issue of DS3 dependence means that every once in a while a user's registry will get a little screwed and they will have to go in and fix it. All this in my relative layman's terms.

edited December 1969

Well - my administrator account doesn't have a DS3 key and the bridge works nonetheless. Don't ask me!
    I am happy enough to have it working.
    :)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Well - my administrator account doesn't have a DS3 key and the bridge works nonetheless. Don't ask me!

have fun :)

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Kerya said:

have fun :)

Ah, but the DS3 key is there when you are logged in as a guest. It's probably there for all of us just not always visible.

Steve Athome is a genius about this stuff, but I haven't seen him around lately but I'm sure he could make sense of it for us. Oh well.

edited December 1969

How to get the Hexagon Bridge:

ReDave said:

@Kerya: can't remember for sure, and it looks like I don't have Hexagon on this computer, but it's either in the dzInstall.ini file (Documents\\Application Data\DAZ 3D) or in the registry.

Thank you!!!!!!
    It's the dzInstall.ini in appdata - I had one as admin, but not as user.
    I just copied it over - and voilà! Working Bridge!

• alxalx Posts: 53
    edited December 1969

I'm running XP 32bit with DAZ pro 4.0.3.47 and Bryce pro 7.1.0.74 and after adding the registry keys I can export from DAZ to Bryce but not vice versa. In fact, I don't even get the dialog box that Horo posted the screenshots of. No matter if I use the pulldown menu or click on the DAZ icon, Bryce just ignores my request...

Any thoughts on this?

edited December 1969

Did you add the InstallPath registry keys in the DS3, DS4 and Bryce folder?
    Because I've got the bridge working both ways since adding them.

edited December 1969

Yes, I added the installpath keys for both DAZ3 and Bryce7 and still can't export from Bryce. But I am running different versions than you are. I'm considering an upgrade as a workaround...

Does anyone know if I can just install the latest versions ontop of the previous ones, or do I need to go for the fresh install?

edited December 1969

Because you say " I added the installpath keys for both DAZ3 and Bryce7" - are you sure you have one in DazStudio4?

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited November 2012

artificer said:
    Yes, I added the installpath keys for both DAZ3 and Bryce7 and still can't export from Bryce. But I am running different versions than you are. I'm considering an upgrade as a workaround...

Does anyone know if I can just install the latest versions ontop of the previous ones, or do I need to go for the fresh install?

I'm not sure about Studio but if you install the latest version of Bryce over an older version it will overwrite your presets folder. So if you have alot of hard to replace custom presets you should save a copy of your presets folder somewhere else.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

@Kerya: I changed the DAZ install path to read DAZ3 instead of DAZ4, as per the instructions. I had to manually add a Bryce key and registry value, as it didn't exist

@LordHardDriven: I was afraid of that. Yeah, gonna have to do some exports and backups...

edited December 1969

artificer said:
    @Kerya: I changed the DAZ install path to read DAZ3 instead of DAZ4, as per the instructions. I had to manually add a Bryce key and registry value, as it didn't exist

@LordHardDriven: I was afraid of that. Yeah, gonna have to do some exports and backups...

Ehm - I didn't understand the instructions to change the install path to read Daz3 instead of Daz4 - I just added it.

So I have keys for
    Bryce7
    Studio3
    Studio4
    in my registry.

All with install paths and I faked the install path for DS3 and wrote the path to Studio4 inside the folder Studio3.

The bridge works for me in both directions.

I hope this helps (English is not my native language, sorry).

edited December 1969

Okay, I was able to get a workaround by installing the latest version of Bryce (7.1.0.109) and now the bridge behaves as expected. Now, this isn't exactly a fix, per se but it does address the issue for me. This is just an FYI for anyone else experencing this issue or those who are simply interested

@Kerya: I altered the keys where I could and created them where they didn't exist. Everything is working now. Your English is much better than my Deutsch and I had no problems understanding what you meant. In fact, if you hadn't said anything you could've passed for a native speaker...

edited December 1969

It's great to hear that it works now! :)
    Thank you for your compliments. :red:

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited November 2012

Hi Rashed,

It seems that creating our own DS3 keys, while effective for the basic function of the bridge, seems to break the function of the drop down that should list which version of DS are available. For me I get nothing on the drop down but because of the registry edits it still starts DS4.5 for me.

That is not something I checked.
    Which versions of DS do you have installed?

It looks like most problems are now solved, apart from the DS <> Hexagon bridge. Is that problem from a limited account / admin account or both? (and which OS?)

I know there can be problems due to the order in which the programmes are installed, maybe there is a specific search function on installation?.
    I will finish off what I am doing, then make a clean installation of the various versions of DS and then Bryce and Hexagon, then clean install them in different orders and monitor what they are doing/looking for to use the bridge.

Post edited by stem_athome on