How do I bundle an item of clothing for DS?

tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've asked this question in the Hexagon Forum but not getting very positive answers there.

I've modelled a pair of jeans and UV painted and rigged them in DS 4.5.

Now I want to package these so that they appear in the content Library just as you do when purchasing other people's clothing for a figure.
The think is I do not know which files I need exactly and I do not know what directories they need to be stored in.

It has been suggested I simply save them as a scene and merge whenever I want to use them, but that's not good enough.
When I try other peoples clothing on... (not personally of course ;-) especially the dresses) I do not have to mess about merging the scenes and fitting clothes on. I simply want to select the figure and apply the jeans for them to apply fully rigged (especially for those like me who knew little about rigging before I started this lark!)

I eventually want to make other clothing for Genesis (which may or may not fit Michael etc in future) and I know other people have managed to do this without compromise - so I want to be like those.
I'd like to do more things with the jeans in future like add more definition and colours but planning to walk before I can run.

Comments

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Haven't done it myself yet, but here's an article from Daz on the subject : Saving Your Figure/Prop
    Hope this helps.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I’ve asked this question in the Hexagon Forum but not getting very positive answers there.

That is because you asked about how to "package" and "bundle"the items. By "packaging" and "bundling", we all understand it to mean that you want to bundle it all up and share.

What you are actually wanting to do is find out how to save the files so they'll show up in the content and can be loaded from there?

You were also given a full explanation of that in the Hexagon thread.

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

After I finish building, I select object and go to File-->Save as-->Support Asset-->Figure/Prop Asset
    A save dialog box will pop out. Just browse to location to save new DUF file. You can apply them like any other clothing then

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Medzin said:
    After I finish building, I select object and go to File-->Save as-->Support Asset-->Figure/Prop Asset

I haven't done much in D|S4.5 yet — is this enough to save the D|S-specific data as well? The point is vitally important, because many people trying to distribute D|S stuff in the past have only saved a .daz scene and bundled that up with the textures. This of course never worked, since the /data/ folder files referenced by the .daz scene file were never included.
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Medzin said:
    A save dialog box will pop out. Just browse to location to save new DUF file. You can apply them like any other clothing then

With clothing it's

Select the figure

Go to content library and select folder you want to save to

Click on the plus sign on the folder

Select create wearable preset and follow the prompts.

Make sure you select the type of follower. Jeans would be something like Wardrobe\pants

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Medzin said:

I haven't done much in D|S4.5 yet — is this enough to save the D|S-specific data as well? The point is vitally important, because many people trying to distribute D|S stuff in the past have only saved a .daz scene and bundled that up with the textures. This of course never worked, since the /data/ folder files referenced by the .daz scene file were never included.

For not packaging it up to distribute...probably. To package it up, minimally, you need a geometry file, an 'item' file and your texture files. The geo file can be an obj in a geometry folder or a dsf in a different folder (somewhere in the /data folder). The 'item' is the duf that says what, where and how the 'thing' is. Textures...pretty self explanatory.

If you don't include the dsf/obj you are leaving out the geometry...the duf will tell you where the geo file is, so if you save your stuff 'uncompressed' you'll be able to read it in a text editor and find out, for sure, where the geometry is.

Saving to a folder YOU make...very good idea. Especially if you make the folders BEFORE you load the item in DS. I create the geo and texture folders, drop the item and textures there, then load them and turn them into 'items'...for items imported directly (like by the Hexagon bridge), save it once before doing anything else, again making sure that you are working on the item from a location that is always accessible to the 'standard' DS content setup. Working from another partition/working folder...not a good idea (for modelling and such...yeah working folders are great, but for actually assembling items as props/figures...not so good).

• tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What you are actually wanting to do is find out how to save the files so they'll show up in the content and can be loaded from there?

You were also given a full explanation of that in the Hexagon thread.

I told you I was thick!
    Actually I wanted to do BOTH - save properly and then package it up.
    I've done this now, but have seen a better pair of jeans out there but a bit shallow in the body and flared - I want straight.
    ... oh well - i'll share anyhow and try to improve.

Thank you for being patient and gentle with me.

Terry