Housekeeping and Maintenance for DS4

PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
edited December 2013 in New Users

Recently I had a crash while searching for new products and the cms stopped working. In the process of fixing it I couldn't use Adam's great advice below and lost my category data and had to go back to migrating the old data.

It occured to me that we don't always think to back up our categories like Adam suggested below.

adamr001 said:
I've run into this issue before. Ultimately it boils down to a database corruption but don't get too worried. It's recoverable. :)

Here's what I did.

Process 1: Data Security aka backup the databases.
Close DAZ Studio.
Stop the DAZ Content Management Service
Backup your databases folder. (Just copy the whole folder to a new location).
Restart the DAZ Content Management Service.

Process 2: Exporting User Data
Start DAZ Studio.
On the Content tab go to the context menu at the top corner and select Content DB Maintenance.
Check the next to last checkbox "Export User Data".
Wait patiently. This process can take a LONG time. (it took my system almost 2 hours) and DAZ Studio can appear as if it is "not responding". Just leave it alone until it finishes.
Exit DAZ Studio

Process 3: Scary time!
Make sure DAZ Studio isn't running.
Stop the DAZ Content Management Service
Delete the contents of the databases folder. @_@ Yes, that's right. Nuke it from orbit. kaput! Delete, gone. ^_^
Start the DAZ Content Management Service. (You'll note that it recreates several files in the databases folder).
Start DAZ Studio.
It will prompt you to import metadata and you'll note it will also mention "User Files" in the list. Make sure those are checked.
Let the import process run (it'll run about as long as it took the export to run, maybe a little longer).
Breathe a sigh of relief as you note that almost everything appears normal.
Scan Known Directories for Files.
Breathe a sigh of frustration as you realize that, yes, some stuff didn't make it. This is the stuff where the corruption was (for me it was an entire tree of stuff).
Recategorize and go.

Process 4:
Make regular backups of your DAZ CMS databases. ;)

I thought it might be worthwhile to have a thread in the new users that details all the little things that can be useful to help maintain our database for DS4
The first being to make a regular backup of DAZ CMS databases

Exporting User Data
Start DAZ Studio.
On the Content tab go to the context menu at the top corner and select Content DB Maintenance.
Check the next to last checkbox "Export User Data".
Wait patiently. This process can take a LONG time. (it took my system almost 2 hours) and DAZ Studio can appear as if it is "not responding". Just leave it alone until it finishes.
Exit DAZ Studio
Adamr001
If you think of anything that could be added to this list please post in this thread and I will add it to the original post.

Note: This process of exporting data only took me about 15mins.

Second little gem I found was this one explaining how to get smart content back if you can't see it but can see categories.

There is more useful info to be found in the thread I got it from found here
I was experiencing the same problem on Mac, until I read this thread and started experiencing.

I solved the problem by navigating to /Library/DAZ 3D/Content Management Service/databases and deleting all the folder content (I noticed they were old — since I installed DAZ Studio 3 one year ago, means never been used by the software).

I then opened the Content DB Maintenance as mentioned above on the thread, and checked Re-import Metadata, let it process and everything was solved since. Now I can see Smart Content populated, finally!

I hope this will help you.

I would only add when you delete the files from the folder save them somewhere just in case...

Also don't panic when initially the categories go back to default when you import the metadata make sure to tick user data...you did remember to export your user data on a regular basis didn't you?

Also, thank you to the kind person who stickied this thread!

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

How do you stop/start the DAZ Content Management Service?

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Go to the circular icon on the bottom left hand corner in windows and navigate to the folder containing the CMS. There is a link you can click which starts the CMS and one to stop it as well as the uninstall link.
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Go to the circular icon on the bottom left hand corner in windows and navigate to the folder containing the CMS. There is a link you can click which starts the CMS and one to stop it as well as the uninstall link.

Well I'll be, that was too easy! Thank you :-)

• edited September 2012

mY apologises misread that thread title

Post edited by noshobawolf_f994bf986d on
  • kaalika.ggkaalika.gg Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

There was nothing in the Smart Content tab so i did this and now there's data in the Smart Content tab - but nothing in the Shaping tab. This is in DS4.5. What do I do to get default Genesis morphs back into the Shaper tab?

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

You will probably find them in your Parameters tab. Just one of the changes made in 4.5.

• kaalika.ggkaalika.gg Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Turns out I forgot to run DAZ Studio in Administrator, everything showed up again once I did that.

• TrishaTrisha Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Hmm, what if you have no content management folder? I found it yesterday and uninstalled it because none of my smart content was showing up and I'd tried everything else I could find on the forum about it not working properly (including reinstalling 4.5 uninstalling it, reinstalling it etc). I had aim of uninstalling the content manager and then reinstalling it...but now I haven't been able to find an installer for it. Even reinstalling daz studio (a number of times) hasn't replaced it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Hmm, what if you have no content management folder? I found it yesterday and uninstalled it because none of my smart content was showing up and I'd tried everything else I could find on the forum about it not working properly (including reinstalling 4.5 uninstalling it, reinstalling it etc). I had aim of uninstalling the content manager and then reinstalling it...but now I haven't been able to find an installer for it. Even reinstalling daz studio (a number of times) hasn't replaced it.

Make sure when you reinstall DS, you say "Yes" to customizing the CMS install, then install it to a DIFFERENT location (both the location for the application and the location for the databases). That'll ensure a fresh version gets installed.

• TrishaTrisha Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Thanks heaps! I'll give it a go :D

edited December 1969

Thanks Mike and Anne for helping! Sorry I haven't been around the last few days...Mum has been in hospital since last Friday. She's on the mend though which is good.

edited December 1969

You're welcome. I don't know enough to be much help though. Good to hear that your mum's better.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    You're welcome. I don't know enough to be much help though. Good to hear that your mum's better.
    thanks...we're hoping she will come home tomorrow. Fingers crossed....
  • 3DScreencraft3DScreencraft Posts: 465
    edited December 1969

Okay, I am in despair. NOTHING I try will show me my content!!! It wouldn't in Daz 4.5, and I've just installed 4.6 and followed suggestions to tell it to install content somewhere else, and still nothing. I've been battling with this right through Daz 4 series, have stopped creating stuff because I just CANNOT find out how to make it work! See attachment for what I'm seeing. I have tried all the tips. Somebody shoot me. Or help me. Please?

Thank you guys!

DS-CMS-Capture.PNG
    550 x 734 - 39K
    edited December 1969

Check Task Manager to see if your CMS is running.

Have you pointed it to the location of your Library under Edit-Preferences?

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:

Hi Anne,

Yes, it's running in the Task Manager. And see below - is this what you meant?

DS-CMS-Capture2.PNG
    509 x 645 - 58K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Click Files instead of Products at the top - does that help?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:

Hi Anne,
    It looks as if your running a 64bit OS, if it is Win7 or Vista I see much wrong with your content folders and paths.
    Can I please have your PC type and OS version. Those will help us fix you up in just a bit.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    AtticAnne said:

Hi Anne,
    It looks as if your running a 64bit OS, if it is Win7 or Vista I see much wrong with your content folders and paths.
    Can I please have your PC type and OS version. Those will help us fix you up in just a bit.

Okay, yes, Win7 64-bit .... but as far as I know, it's being put into the default folders ...? Thanks for any help! :)

edited December 1969

Click Files instead of Products at the top - does that help?

No, tried that several times, no change ... thanks though!

edited December 1969

I've been installing using the DAZ Install manager. It doesn't ask for specific paths, just for where the software folder is. But I can't seem to find the content. I have well over 2000 items, all reported installed by the Installer, but ... where? lol!! I've been trying to correct the paths, or at least find SOMEthing to appear in the Smart Content tab ... am giving up for the moment, it's going on midnight here and my brain is frazzled. Hoping I can think more clearly in the morning.

Thanks for all your help! Maybe in the morning I'll wake up and someone will have hit the nail on the head. :D

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

You have to specify a path if you want it install to a certain place. By default it installs to documents/My DAZ 3D Library. You will need to add that folder to DS in the DS and Poser directory

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    You have to specify a path if you want it install to a certain place. By default it installs to documents/My DAZ 3D Library. You will need to add that folder to DS in the DS and Poser directory

Thanks Frank; I was playing with that yesterday and again today ... here is what I now have - still nothing. I've checked the directories listed, esp documents/My DAZ 3D Library - the stuff is definitely there, but the program isn't seeing them for some reason??

DS-CMS-Capture3.PNG
    957 x 744 - 109K
    edited May 2013

First we need to know where the DIM installed the files look here...

Capture1.png
    583 x 784 - 84K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Hi Jade, yes, that's what it says, and I followed through with my file explorer, and it's all installed in there. And this morning I've uninstalled and reinstalled DS 4.6, with complete shut down in between. Still nothing.

So I experimented. I went via the Content Library and found Staci, plonked her into the new scene, put some clothes on her, and then opened the tab for SHAPING .... nothing. I selected various items in the scene, but nothing showed up.

At that point DS crashed (it does that a lot!), so on re-starting, with a new scene, I tried to find my V4 model. Or any model other than Genesis. Nothing. I can find various bits of clothing etc, but not the figures themselves. I tried using the search facility, searched "V4" ... no result! or for any other search either ... Trying to use the Content Library is incredibly time consuming and frustrating. So, back to the option of trying to get the Content Manager to work.

Since DS3, DS4 has been nothing but frustration for me. I've been unable to create anything! I can SEE how great the latest versions are, I just can't utilise the features .... or the program. And DS4.6 seems intent only letting me see Genesis, as a figure.

Getting desperate. May have to give up on DS and learn Poser, ACKKK!!! lol!

edited December 1969

I don't use the install manager ... I've read rumours that it doesn't run the metadata like the .exe files do. That one has to tell the program to process the metadata Q. So I mention this in case it be of any help.

process_metadata.png
    863 x 568 - 94K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I don't use the install manager ... I've read rumours that it doesn't run the metadata like the .exe files do. That one has to tell the program to process the metadata Q. So I mention this in case it be of any help.

Not true, Install Manager does import the metadata. It's only if you manually unzip that you need to Re-Import Metadata.

edited December 1969

Okay.

edited May 2013

Don't, as said before your just not setting the proper Path's in the DS content Prefs. I pointed out the path and you still do not have that path in your DS Content Directory Manager. Below I show my DS pointing to just the DIM install path. All my DIM installed content works 100% set up like this. You would then add any other Content paths below this path/s so it Stays on top and DS4.6 does all it's data saves to this folder. The top floder in your paths will be the default Data Folder in any version of DS.
    So if you have a DS3 content folder it should be listed in the Daz Studio Formats paths and the Poser Formats Path as this one is. For Poser only Content folders you add them to only the Poser formats paths section BELOW the others.
    Keep this in mind: The Paths end at the Folder NAME that holds the Content As in Content: My Library: My DAZ 3D Library:
    Also on a Win7 system NO content should be in the Programs (anything) Folders because Win7 protects that part of the System from any action except a install. DS and Poser both do WRITE's to the content folders and if the content is in a OS proctected folder the saves are written to a folder that DS and Poser will not see, they will expect the saves to be in the Path you installed the content to and listed in the Content Directory Manager.
    Capture1.png
    473 x 299 - 26K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Hi Jade, yes, that's what it says, and I followed through with my file explorer, and it's all installed in there. And this morning I've uninstalled and reinstalled DS 4.6, with complete shut down in between. Still nothing.

So I experimented. I went via the Content Library and found Staci, plonked her into the new scene, put some clothes on her, and then opened the tab for SHAPING .... nothing. I selected various items in the scene, but nothing showed up.

At that point DS crashed (it does that a lot!), so on re-starting, with a new scene, I tried to find my V4 model. Or any model other than Genesis. Nothing. I can find various bits of clothing etc, but not the figures themselves. I tried using the search facility, searched "V4" ... no result! or for any other search either ... Trying to use the Content Library is incredibly time consuming and frustrating. So, back to the option of trying to get the Content Manager to work.

Since DS3, DS4 has been nothing but frustration for me. I've been unable to create anything! I can SEE how great the latest versions are, I just can't utilise the features .... or the program. And DS4.6 seems intent only letting me see Genesis, as a figure.

There's a guide to troubleshooting Smart Content here...you already tried some of the ideas, but maybe something there will help you.

On the Shaping pane...are you looking at Presets or Editor (tabs at the top of the pane)? Presets is dependent on the content database and I wouldn't expect it to work if Smart Content isn't working. Editor is where you will find the morph sliders.