Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Well I'm glad I didn't bet against you!

I had two banners stacking and didn't see the mega flash, but I'm sitting out on buying things the rest of this month. Why? Because I'm hopefully adopting a purebred animal rescue dog next Monday, it's not cheap by any means. The breed I'm going for, combined with  the age/size, was rather hard to find as this dog is large for it's breed. He's a perfect pal for my Pekingese as he's only a year older, and same size exactly!   If the adoption goes through I'll post a picture, but it's a week away at the soonest. Many possible adopters too. Staying at home as a writer is a good thing so far as the dog having company all day. We'll see if I get him.

So I'm at zero budget for Daz now this month. I'll render things I already have for you, I could go forever with what I've already got. I really do NOT care for Julie's eyebrows at all, they look like chunks are missing out of them. Ugh. And I mentioned over in the other thread, if you shop at Rendo,you may already have P3D's Maria. The product here adds the Julie 7 option, but I don't know how all these morphs work when you're loading a character on a character. 

If anyone gets any of the Julie items, would love to see them. I'm working on some Donnie renders for you, I am changing the skin and a few morphs. His eyes are too small to suit my tastes, so enlarging those and I think his upper lit a bit. Will have those soon. The skin, I am darkening, and changing the lip color a bit darker. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

P3D Maria is for Teen Josie 7, not Julie. Product requirements are for the G3f body morphs, G3F head morphs, and Teen Josie 7

I had to look twice too, but yeah, she's not for Julie. 

Novica said:

Well I'm glad I didn't bet against you!

I had two banners stacking and didn't see the mega flash, but I'm sitting out on buying things the rest of this month. Why? Because I'm hopefully adopting a purebred animal rescue dog next Monday, it's not cheap by any means. The breed I'm going for, combined with  the age/size, was rather hard to find as this dog is large for it's breed. He's a perfect pal for my Pekingese as he's only a year older, and same size exactly!   If the adoption goes through I'll post a picture, but it's a week away at the soonest. Many possible adopters too. Staying at home as a writer is a good thing so far as the dog having company all day. We'll see if I get him.

So I'm at zero budget for Daz now this month. I'll render things I already have for you, I could go forever with what I've already got. I really do NOT care for Julie's eyebrows at all, they look like chunks are missing out of them. Ugh. And I mentioned over in the other thread, if you shop at Rendo,you may already have P3D's Maria. The product here adds the Julie 7 option, but I don't know how all these morphs work when you're loading a character on a character. 

If anyone gets any of the Julie items, would love to see them. I'm working on some Donnie renders for you, I am changing the skin and a few morphs. His eyes are too small to suit my tastes, so enlarging those and I think his upper lit a bit. Will have those soon. The skin, I am darkening, and changing the lip color a bit darker. 

Yep, you're right!  The Rendo Maria is for G3F only, this one is G3F and Josie 7.  Dang these names! Not too smart to release a product for a Josie when you are releasing a Julie. 

I'm already getting confused between Josie and Julie...the names are too similar for me.  

Novica said:

Yep, you're right!  The Rendo Maria is for G3F only, this one is G3F and Josie 7.  Dang these names! Not too smart to release a product for a Josie when you are releasing a Julie. 

No wait, it's the same product. The Rendo one required Teen Josie 7, you can see it in the required part on the link....which I don't think we can post here as it's another store? But if you google the rendo url with P3D Maria next to it, you'll find the page. I think P3Designs may just have brought it over here to DAZ.  

Novica said:

edited August 2016

I was just looking at it in my products list, should have looked at the page instead. Yep, it's the same one.  (I am painting the kitchen nook at the same time I was doing this, so rather scatterbrained. Just now going to bed at 7:30am!) Thanks for keeping it all straight. I've posted Maria before but here it is again. Her skin tone is due to the colored lights if I recall correctly, I think she has more red than is shown here.

MariaChampionSideTailsHair.jpg
    435 x 575 - 122K
    MariaChampionSideTailsHair3.jpg
    650 x 975 - 168K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2016

Well, with the default lights she IS that color. (And wow, renders fast. This was one minute 52 seconds on my computer. NOW I'm going to sleep.)  I didn't spend a lot of time tweaking lights, I was primarily looking at skin tone. 

MariaFLashyHair.jpg
    457 x 600 - 243K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,040
    edited August 2016

Harpsburg

I couple of renders I did using the above set.

Street Cafe.

Click on image for full size.

Night Scene.

Click on image for full size.

street-cafe-004.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 1M
    street-cafe-003.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 1M
    Post edited by Fishtales on

Very nice! Harpsburg is a lovely town with nice props. You can get lost in it. Thanks for sharing! yes

• I really like the night image..

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Fisthales. That is great image that second one. Very romantic!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Beautiful scenes Fishtales!  Makes me glad I bought it.  Now I have to actually use it lol.

edited August 2016

You only have about 13  minutes left, but do note you can use that 11% off when you spend $11 on GIFT CARDS.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2016

Donny and a few other men coming soon. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991

And now it's 12%. smiley

I bought a gift card yesterday and today in anticipation of next month's sales. If I can keep my grubby paws off it for that long lol.

I did a render with SAV's Zero Gravity hair last night if anyone is interested. Its an amazing piece of work and I have a feeling that I will be using it a LOT.  I don't know if anyone's shown it yet and don't want to cover ground that's already been gone over.

I bought a gift card yesterday and today in anticipation of next month's sales. If I can keep my grubby paws off it for that long lol.

I did a render with SAV's Zero Gravity hair last night if anyone is interested. Its an amazing piece of work and I have a feeling that I will be using it a LOT.  I don't know if anyone's shown it yet and don't want to cover ground that's already been gone over.

Oh, it doesn't matter if it's been shown before or not. It's nice to see different artists renders, even if it's the same thing, as it shows a different aspect of it. I don't recall that hair being done anyway!  Love to see it. I'll check in tonight, I'm actually off schedule as I was painting (walls, not art) all night so I could get furniture moved around. I did get the lilies and two things from that store, it came to over $12, so I had multiple discounts. (if bought more than two, if more than $12....) Lilies look great! 

Great!  I am already in love with this hair.  There is something like 62 poses for it?  Plus handles you can use.  This would be absolutely perfect for mermaid renders and upside down stuff too. 

I am trying to hold off on buying too much yet this month in anticipation of the next two months sales lol.  I am hoping to clear up some of my wishlist in the next couple of months.

My husband paints for a living (houses not art lol)  I don't envy you doing that but a fresh coat of paint can do wonders for a house. Of course, getting mine painted is a whole nother story lol.

I've attached 3 PDF's with some images (I hope that is all right as it is easier than attaching a load of images to the post) I have been working on using the Mil Cat and adding fur.

The environment is Window Seat with Cyclorama Forest outside the window. Iray set to Sun and Sky. The fur is from Leather and Fur Iray Shaders. Some work, some don't and some looked too weired to include :)

There are also a couple of images testing out seeing light from a torch beam. I loaded a torch prop, set the bulb to Emissive and first parented a cone and then a stretched sphere both with Volume and Scattering added.

pdf
    pdf
    mil-cat-fur.pdf
    1M
    pdf
    pdf
    mil-cat-fur1.pdf
    1M
    pdf
    pdf
    mil-cat-fur2.pdf

Now I want to see the ones that are too wierd.....

laughlaugh Sorry I didn't keep them.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991

You can add back the cat's skin color maps if you have them and there is a higher resolution normal map for the fur in the textures folder.

Did you folks see in the dog/cat thread that there will be a dog added probably end of August (IIRC) and I think I read something about the big cats too? Those cats are delightful Fishtales. Look like they should be in a museum of Modern Art!

They were just fun experiments to see how they looked. I also used the UHT Hair salon on them and tried to work out how to implement some of the parameters in this .pdf to the best of my limited abilities :)

https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~ravir/paper_fur.pdf

edited August 2016

I'm not doing much with lighting (I have a lot of the Iray lighting sets) I am just perusing what the men look like that I own. (You know what I mean.)  When the internet was down five days, I did a small bit of rendering but used the same lights (default) to also compare what the skin color tendencies were. First, Donnie (G3M)  I had him in a black outfit  that I found rendered very dark, to the extent it will wash out the character when I tried to get details on the outfit to show up. Have you rendered the Dragoh Outfit?

So, I changed Donnie's skin materials, darkened them with a bit of ruddy added, so this is NOT the default Donnie. I also enlarged his eyes as I thought them a bit squinty to suit my tastes, and I do like the character.  I loaded Whiskers (G3M) on top of the stubbled materials just to see what it does. You'll find Donnie under JM in the Content Library Gen3 Characters in case you're looking for his materials (he shows up as an image icon when you click Characters too, but to get to the stubble you have to go to his options.) 

So keep in mind he's got more color and is darker than the default skin. My characters are going to be in a tropical setting and he was too light colored for an outside dude. (If I use him. These are my experiments.)  Look at how that black takes out the details.  I even took out some shadows and midtones, reduced the contrast. It will probably do much better with other lighting, this is really bad.  It's a neat outfit!

DonnieMySkin.jpg
    496 x 600 - 232K
    DonnieMySkin2.jpg
    500 x 1050 - 450K
    DonnieMySkin3.jpg
    800 x 1050 - 706K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2016

Still with the default lights, wearing H&C Coat Outfit (lovely details!) is Gray for Gianni 7. Anything Gianni is droolworth IMO. Want more Gianni characters!!!!  So had fun with his hair.  First is with Armani Hair.  I don't like that hairstyle but since it's in style, I got it for variety and there it is.  BTW, a search for Armani or Armani Hair gives me "Ariana" with no search results for Armani. Then I found Barbult's post  about it being the Starter Essentials. 

Second is JayBird Hair with smoothing increased from 2 to 9. It shrunk it, didn't see much smoothing so to speak. 

Then with Ancient Combat Hair. Yep, a Genesis 2 hair on a Genesis 3 male. Works nicely!

So, I'm not sure which hair I like, you know which one I don't lol. I think Ancient Combat gets my vote.

This first one, I left it as is so you can see what to watch for- look at the hair coming from the forehead! 

GrayGen3ArmaniHair.jpg
    800 x 1050 - 812K
    GrayGen3JayBirdiHairSmoo9.jpg
    800 x 1050 - 708K
    GrayGen3wGen2AncientCombat Hair.jpg
    800 x 1050 - 830K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

That coat looks a lot better than I would have guessed from the promo pics. And also I'm curious what hair are you using on Donnie?

But the big question on my mind is how high will this percentage off thing go, 14%,15% maybe? Or could they be really generous and keep going to the end of the month? How sweet would that be.

edited August 2016

It's Colin Hair.  It's rather handy for warriors,  tough guys,  modern guys- very versatile. 

I know what you mean about the discounts. It may have the reverse effect though- you don't buy, hoping the next day will be more of a discount. And when there isn't any, it will just be lost sales for the vendors as people then don't buy what they would have from the previous day because there's no discount. 

I do like the coat. And it has a slit in the back which helps with backward striding leg movement.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

I really like the neckline of H&C coat ouffit. That looks great for portraits. I'm not fond of the waist area. 

This discussion has been closed.