UltraScatter - v1.5.0 released [Commercial]

Comments

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309
    Nath said:
    mcorr said:

This thread reinforces my conviction that many here at DAZ would profit from having an "area" or place where people could upload tutorials in .pdf form, vids or whatever (according to subject) so that those who are so inclined can provide us (the less knowledgeable like myself) with (in one, centrally located place) clear, step-by-step, graphic instructions of how to work through a problem.

More precisely: most of the things explained above are hazy (like where in the menu things are located, the buttons you need to click to do what you are supposed to do, etc.) without having a visual idea of what things look like throughout the process. Unless somebody asks explicitly what is meant, things are usually explained merely by way of "insider", short-hand explanations that can't be replicated (not at all, or only with additional help) by the uninitiated.

What makes sense to me is that the creator of a (cool, but steep learning curve) product like this one sits down and makes several Youtube vids so that the subject matter becomes more accessible and understandable. To release something like this with only a minimalistic .pdf doesn't do the product justice. Step by step explanations would not only help those learning (and swing those on the fence about buying a technically demanding product add-on, etc.), but would also boost sales for the creator. A win/win for all. Empowering people to use this product is what is needed, not frustrating them with "instructions" that are merely indicative of what this product can do, or how to accomplish those things. /rant

I agree with you in principle - that something more tutorial-like would be welcome, especially for more complicated products (though it would take a lot of time to make for product creators). However, not everybody likes video instruction; I for one find it a very frustrating format. I learn better from a document with text and screenshots, and I'm sure others have still other learning styles.

Like you, I prefer a document or book I can flick back and forth through.  I am currently learning Blender. I found the book Blender for Dummies far more useful than the videos that are available.  I have two problems with videos, they are generally 720P rather than true high definintion 1080P and they are often done in the Darkside style, which I find very difficult to read.  My eyesight was never good to start with and it hasn't improved with age. 1080P and the Highway style are your friends when you have poor eyesight.

Cheers,

Alex.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 582
    edited August 2016
    mcorr said:

Most of us don't get paid for anything we do here. We do it for fun.

Documentation isn't very fun.

It's particularly not fun when many folks aren't very grateful for the time people take to help them.

I, for one, greatly (do) appreciate all the help given by those more knowledgeable. Without people like you, we'd be lost. So, thank you, thank you, thank you!! =)

That having been said, it's the creator of (learning-curves-involved) products that should be the one who documents basic (and not just rudimentary, but at least rudimentary) things more explicitly. That shouldn't fall on the shoulders of users. Why, for example, weren't the explanations in this thread proactively included in the documentation? They don't involve frivolous questions, but things that go to the core of how to do some relatively basic things that one must understand in order to make use of this cool product. For example, upload a zip file with a few distribution maps and make a .duf scene with pertinent resources available.

Cases in point:

(1) For a computationally intense product like this, an explanation regarding "Iray section planes" should have been mentioned by the creator--it should have been mentioned, the word and concept explained, and step-by-step pictures included so that those without behemoth machines can make use of this product.

(2) Ms. Conway had to expend hours of her life figuring out what a "rotation map" is and how to create one. Why?

(3) TangoAlpha, JPiat, William and others (like Ms. Conway) have graciously explained many things that should have been in the documentation.

Of course, people putting out add-ons can't document every possible thing that can be done with their product, but that's not my beef. I am saying that giving sufficient examples and resources so that others can pick up the ball and run with it is what is critical. I continue to maintain that this didn't happen here.

Thank you for your feedback on the documentation. UltraScatter is an evolving product - there are bug fixes and enhancements in the pipeline already - and the pdf will of course be updated.

I obviously can not anticipate how every user of the product will interact with the software and therefore can not pre-emptively answer all possible questions - but I do have some solid ideas how to improve the written pdf.

I would also like to thank fastbike1 and Richard Haseltine for bringing to our attention the existence of Iray section planes. I was unaware of that functionality until their posts and may include it in future documentation once I've had a chance to play with them.

Post edited by HowieFarkes on
  • Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837

I have found this script easy to use and can see it being an invaluable tool in nearly all future renders. I will be surprised if it is not encorportated into DAZ functionality in any version 5+.

I downloaded it with the DIM. I use an older Mac, with a relatively small HD so everything is on an external drive. Sometimes that causes problems but not in this case. It went right were it was supposed to go.

I find the interface to be pretty straight forward. Select the item you want to duplicate. Open the script. That part took a couple of beats to get - I wanted to open the script first. So, open the script, select what you want the duplicated items to "grow out of" - like a plane but I guess you can use a ball, or whatever shape. I find the other controls pretty easy to understand, like slope, scatter, attraction, rotation, etc. I'm no programmer but I'm a little familiar with script so that might help me out. Slope and stuff is the same as anything you see in Bryce texturing, for example.

I think the mapping is the best at controlling where you want things to go. I put out a hilly ground plane (from the New Colony set), and just added one each of the elements from Archaic Ruins set. I moved the camera so I couldn't see the Ruins elements. I created (in a graphics program) a simple, 500 pixle square map in black and white. The black is where I didn't want items, the white is where I wanted them. I know that within the white area placement is still random, so its not going to be marching ranks of items. In the script I loaded that map. It took a couple of tries to understand how the map was being applied - to make it easy on myself I created a geoshell of the ground, applied the B&W map to that to see where it was - I ended up flipping the map in the graphics program to get more items where I wanted the camera to point.

One downside that I saw: the boxes that indicate where the instances where going to go are appearing on the underside of the plane Im attaching them to, with just a little peaking out. I had to turn off the ground plane to get an idea of where things were.

I found the documentation a little sparse, but simple and clear.

I really recommend anyone who is tired of placing a million instances of clumps of grass, or trees, or ruins, or birds or whatever, to get this item. I don't know HowieFarkes or anyone that produced this product and I don't want to know - people that smart and creative scare me. wink

So take this review for what its worth. I think just fiddling with the controls a little will get you going.

Below are a couple of grabs of a work in progress. The ruins are sparse because I was too hesitant. I did less than 80 on each element. It took about a minute per item to generate, problably less than ten minutes total. Most of them are far back in the hills, but at least I didn't have to hand place them. In the future I'll make the numbers higher. The B&W is the map I used to place the ruins on the plane.

SUN.jpg
    1385 x 855 - 111K
    half ring 2.jpg
    500 x 500 - 67K
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,018

Thank you for your feedback on the documentation. UltraScatter is an evolving product - there are bug fixes and enhancements in the pipeline already - and the pdf will of course be updated.

I obviously can not anticipate how every user of the product will interact with the software and therefore can not pre-emptively answer all possible questions - but I do have some solid ideas how to improve the written pdf.

I would also like to thank fastbike1 and Richard Haseltine for bringing to our attention the existence of Iray section planes. I was unaware of that functionality until their posts and may include it in future documentation once I've had a chance to play with them.

And thank you for this thoroughly (as everybody has already said) awesome product, as well as your beautiful and affordable creations for Carrara and now also Daz3D.

I am heartened that the documentation will get a redo and that there will be an enhanced (even better), bug-fixed update (I hope for free for the early buyers).

More power to you!

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,018
    Joe Webb said:

I have found this script easy to use and can see it being an invaluable tool in nearly all future renders. I will be surprised if it is not encorportated into DAZ functionality in any version 5+.

I downloaded it with the DIM. I use an older Mac, with a relatively small HD so everything is on an external drive. Sometimes that causes problems but not in this case. It went right were it was supposed to go.

I find the interface to be pretty straight forward. Select the item you want to duplicate. Open the script. That part took a couple of beats to get - I wanted to open the script first. So, open the script, select what you want the duplicated items to "grow out of" - like a plane but I guess you can use a ball, or whatever shape. I find the other controls pretty easy to understand, like slope, scatter, attraction, rotation, etc. I'm no programmer but I'm a little familiar with script so that might help me out. Slope and stuff is the same as anything you see in Bryce texturing, for example.

I think the mapping is the best at controlling where you want things to go. I put out a hilly ground plane (from the New Colony set), and just added one each of the elements from Archaic Ruins set. I moved the camera so I couldn't see the Ruins elements. I created (in a graphics program) a simple, 500 pixle square map in black and white. The black is where I didn't want items, the white is where I wanted them. I know that within the white area placement is still random, so its not going to be marching ranks of items. In the script I loaded that map. It took a couple of tries to understand how the map was being applied - to make it easy on myself I created a geoshell of the ground, applied the B&W map to that to see where it was - I ended up flipping the map in the graphics program to get more items where I wanted the camera to point.

One downside that I saw: the boxes that indicate where the instances where going to go are appearing on the underside of the plane Im attaching them to, with just a little peaking out. I had to turn off the ground plane to get an idea of where things were.

I found the documentation a little sparse, but simple and clear.

I really recommend anyone who is tired of placing a million instances of clumps of grass, or trees, or ruins, or birds or whatever, to get this item. I don't know HowieFarkes or anyone that produced this product and I don't want to know - people that smart and creative scare me. wink

So take this review for what its worth. I think just fiddling with the controls a little will get you going.

Below are a couple of grabs of a work in progress. The ruins are sparse because I was too hesitant. I did less than 80 on each element. It took about a minute per item to generate, problably less than ten minutes total. Most of them are far back in the hills, but at least I didn't have to hand place them. In the future I'll make the numbers higher. The B&W is the map I used to place the ruins on the plane.

Thanks for the tips .... very useful!

• Jerife said:

Those at the right are the distribution maps for that terrain at left, ScotsPrincess

Thank you. This is helpful.

• PhilW said:

In the settings it mentions maps. Can you explain exactly what maps I'm supposed to use? Are they terrain maps? Bump maps? And where would I find them?

You need to create your own maps for your particular requirements, they can control where instances are placed, and optionally their scale and rotation.

I understand the purpose of a map...I just don't have a clue what you mean by "create your own maps". Are we referring to terrain bump maps or what?

Distribution maps. Take a top-down view of the surface you want to populate. Paint white where you want things to go; black where you don't. Shades of grey will be proportional - lighter means more things; darker, fewer. Also scale maps and rotation maps work on the same principle.

Do you mean a screenshot or render?

I'd probably just use a screenshot - so long as there's enough detail to see the features you want to cover or avoid. Crop it to the right aspect ratio and paint your map in a new layer over the top.

I tried this as a top view and it seemed to keep all the instances on the ground (for a change, lol). Thank you very much!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited August 2016
    JPiat said:
    JPiat said:

Hello,

First test with ultra scatter.

My remarks :

1) If the pivot point of the geometrie is not a the bottom, you will have problem : floating instances.

2) Impossible to use the limit by surface tools, the script failed. I must test on more simpler geometry, but I use the greometry editor tools to create my surface inside DazStudio.

Awesome image!

re. 1: If you set the rotation point to "bottom" the instances should no longer float - but generally best to use objects with the pivot point in a suitable location

re. 2: How are you creating the selections? What should be working is to select some polygons with the geometry editor tool, then right-click and select Geometry Assignment -> Create Selection Set from Selected...  Give the selection set a name and then it should turn up in the "Limit Scatter to:" list.

Thank for the reply.

For the second point : I'm still unable to make it work.

1) I create a plane and a surface call "Path" in the Geometry Editor.

2) I create a group of two simple primitive

3) I launch the script, select the "path" surface in the advanced tab

4) It fails : Empty group are created, that's all.

I join the scene just in case.

Feature request for the 1.1 version : A full 0°->360° range for rotation on the Y axis and an increment : Buildings prefer 90° for rotation.

Are you not creating a "Selection Set"? It must be a selection set - not a surface - for it to work.

I've just been trying UltraScatter for the first time today and I ran into exactly the same problem. The manual says "Limit Scatter to ... allows the selection of a material zone or selection set to constrain where instances are scattered" - are you saying it MUST be a selection set and NOT a mat zone? If so, perhaps you could add a clarification of this in the manual.

I found a couple of posts on Page 5 that give a work-round (using Geometry editor to create a selection set) which I successfully did for a primitive plane. But how does that work for an environment prop from another product - would I have to (a) repeat this bit every time I wanted to use that prop, or (b) save a copy of it with modifications (not ideal in case the base product is updated one day)?

ETA: I must add that I'm really enjoying using the script in every other respect. I can see it will get a lot of use from me - thank you for creating it smiley

Post edited by MelanieL on

Well, I played a little more and came up with this as a "first" attempt - grass and weeds restricted to the path area (creating the selection set as advised) and trees restricted just by max slope.

UltraScatter-Mountain-Trail-A.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 387K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    MelanieL said:
    JPiat said:
    JPiat said:

Hello,

My remarks :

1) If the pivot point of the geometrie is not a the bottom, you will have problem : floating instances.

2) Impossible to use the limit by surface tools, the script failed. I must test on more simpler geometry, but I use the greometry editor tools to create my surface inside DazStudio.

Awesome image!

re. 1: If you set the rotation point to "bottom" the instances should no longer float - but generally best to use objects with the pivot point in a suitable location

re. 2: How are you creating the selections? What should be working is to select some polygons with the geometry editor tool, then right-click and select Geometry Assignment -> Create Selection Set from Selected...  Give the selection set a name and then it should turn up in the "Limit Scatter to:" list.

Thank for the reply.

Feature request for the 1.1 version : A full 0°->360° range for rotation on the Y axis and an increment : Buildings prefer 90° for rotation.

Are you not creating a "Selection Set"? It must be a selection set - not a surface - for it to work.

I've just been trying UltraScatter for the first time today and I ran into exactly the same problem. The manual says "Limit Scatter to ... allows the selection of a material zone or selection set to constrain where instances are scattered" - are you saying it MUST be a selection set and NOT a mat zone? If so, perhaps you could add a clarification of this in the manual.

I found a couple of posts on Page 5 that give a work-round (using Geometry editor to create a selection set) which I successfully did for a primitive plane. But how does that work for an environment prop from another product - would I have to (a) repeat this bit every time I wanted to use that prop, or (b) save a copy of it with modifications (not ideal in case the base product is updated one day)?

ETA: I must add that I'm really enjoying using the script in every other respect. I can see it will get a lot of use from me - thank you for creating it smiley

MelanieL, I'm very confused by this, too. I wanted to scatter something on Genesis 3 Female's face. When I go to the Advanced tab the "Limit scatter to" drop down box shows the surfaces of G3F. It does not show the G3F Surface Selection Sets, like Skin, Nails, Skin-Lips-Nails. If I select the Face, nothing happens and I get errors in the log file.

2016-12-12 19:12:41.681 Loading script: D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/ultrascatter/ultrascatter.dse
    2016-12-12 19:12:55.296 WARNING: Script Error: Line 1233
    2016-12-12 19:12:55.296 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oSelectionGroup' [null] is not an object.
    2016-12-12 19:12:55.296 WARNING: Stack Trace:
        <anonymous>()@D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/ultrascatter/ultrascatter.dse:1233
    2016-12-12 19:12:55.343 Error in script execution: D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/ultrascatter/ultrascatter.dse

barbult said:
    MelanieL said:
    JPiat said:
    JPiat said:

Hello,

My remarks :

Awesome image!

Thank for the reply.

MelanieL, I'm very confused by this, too. I wanted to scatter something on Genesis 3 Female's face. When I go to the Advanced tab the "Limit scatter to" drop down box shows the surfaces of G3F. It does not show the G3F Surface Selection Sets, like Skin, Nails, Skin-Lips-Nails. If I select the Face, nothing happens and I get errors in the log file.

2016-12-12 19:12:41.681 Loading script: D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/ultrascatter/ultrascatter.dse
    2016-12-12 19:12:55.296 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oSelectionGroup' [null] is not an object.
        <anonymous>()@D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/ultrascatter/ultrascatter.dse:1233
    2016-12-12 19:12:55.343 Error in script execution: D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/ultrascatter/ultrascatter.dse

Yep, that's exactly the error message I got with my primitive-plane-with-added-mat-zone and using the Mountain Trail prop and selecting the path mat zone.

I just loaded up a G3F and used the Geometry editor to select the "face"  polys and create a selection set which I called "G3F-Face" - then I scattered some tufts of grass on this selection and here's what I got - grassy hands!  I must admit I'm mystified!

G3F-Face.jpg
    1334 x 724 - 105K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I wonder if you could somehow do 'snowy peaks' using ultrascatter. Hrrm.

• MelanieL said:
    barbult said:
    MelanieL said:
    JPiat said:
    JPiat said:

Hello,

My remarks :

Awesome image!

Thank for the reply.

Yep, that's exactly the error message I got with my primitive-plane-with-added-mat-zone and using the Mountain Trail prop and selecting the path mat zone.

I just loaded up a G3F and used the Geometry editor to select the "face"  polys and create a selection set which I called "G3F-Face" - then I scattered some tufts of grass on this selection and here's what I got - grassy hands!  I must admit I'm mystified!

You are right to be mystified - it is not working as expected and I'm working on a fix for it.

edited August 2016
    MelanieL said:
    barbult said:
    MelanieL said:
    JPiat said:
    JPiat said:

Hello,

My remarks :

Awesome image!

Thank for the reply.

You are right to be mystified - it is not working as expected and I'm working on a fix for it.

Thank you for letting us know. We can stop pulling our hair out now and wait for the fix.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited August 2016

Here's another problem I'm having. I created a cone and scaled it in the Y direction. I set up the UltraScatter to Inherit Object Scale. I thought that would use the 50% Y scaling of the cone on the instances, but it didn't. Am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug? My scene file is attached.

Scaled Cones UltraScatter on Sphere.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 906K
    duf
    duf
    Scaled Cones UltraScatter on Sphere.duf
  • barbult said:

Here's another problem I'm having. I created a cone and scaled it in the Y direction. I set up the UltraScatter to Inherit Object Scale. I thought that would use the 50% Y scaling of the cone on the instances, but it didn't. Am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug? My scene file is attached.

The script will only use the "global" scale of the object - not individual x,y, or z scaling.

barbult said:

The script will only use the "global" scale of the object - not individual x,y, or z scaling.

Thank you for the clarification. I really appreciate you participating in the forum and answering questions.

edited August 2016

Here is something interesting I made while playing around.

Spheres UltraScatter on Sphere red yellow raspberry Gelatin.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I like it!

edited August 2016

I like it!

Thanks, Will! Here's another weird one for you.

And here is his weird cousin, which I think I like even better.

Spheres UltraScatter on Sphere Ceramic.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Spheres UltraScatter on Sphere Ceramic 2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Hhmm, looks tasty! But I think you have posted the same image twice. Having a replicator in the armoury opens up a lot of things, not just trees and grass on terrains, as you guys are finding out.

edited August 2016

OMG!
    Will,  look at this! I used your WTP shaders. It makes me drool - blueberries, chocolate fudge ripple ice cream, and whipped cream. laugh

Spheres UltraScatter on Sphere WTP.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    PhilW said:

Hhmm, looks tasty! But I think you have posted the same image twice. Having a replicator in the armoury opens up a lot of things, not just trees and grass on terrains, as you guys are finding out.

No, they are subtly different. If you look at the enlarged images, you can see the difference. The first one shows a large brown grooved sphere on which the other spheres are resting. The second one has that large sphere hidden, and you can see some of the small brown spheres that had been rotated inside of the big sphere. They are very similar. That is why I called the second one "his weird cousin". laugh

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

NOM!

Those are utterly cool:-)

edited August 2016

I felt compelled to put it in a bowl.

Spheres UltraScatter on Sphere WTP in bowl_002.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Now I definitely want some of that! 

Those are amazing, barbult!

And thanks for taking a look, Howie - I'll look out for that fix. Meanwhile I plan to spend my afternoon creating a few (more ambitious) landscape renders - this is such fun! smiley

• MelanieL said:
    barbult said:
    MelanieL said:
    JPiat said:
    JPiat said:

Hello,

My remarks :

Awesome image!

Thank for the reply.

Are these Selection Sets (a kind of polygon group, created by the Geoemtry Editor tool) or Surface Selection Sets (a collection of surface groups that are used for mutli-selection of surfaces and properties in the Surfaces pane)?

• MelanieL said:
    barbult said:
    MelanieL said:
    JPiat said:
    JPiat said:

Hello,

My remarks :

Awesome image!

Thank for the reply.

Are these Selection Sets (a kind of polygon group, created by the Geoemtry Editor tool) or Surface Selection Sets (a collection of surface groups that are used for mutli-selection of surfaces and properties in the Surfaces pane)?

Both actually, selection sets on simple primitives seems to work but on a Genesis figure with lots of surfaces and facet groups are doing strange things. User created surface selections cause the script to error. Trying to fix both problems 'cause they're kinda related.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    MelanieL said:

Those are amazing, barbult!

And thanks for taking a look, Howie - I'll look out for that fix. Meanwhile I plan to spend my afternoon creating a few (more ambitious) landscape renders - this is such fun! smiley

I agree! Barbult is making yummy looking desserts