UltraScatter - v1.5.0 released [Commercial]

Comments

• I have Photoshop Elements. It does have a radial gradient tool, but not one that applies the gradient around the ring, afaik.

PhilW said:

If you are using Photoshop I'm pretty sure that there is a radial gradient type which will do your gradiant in one step rather than having to do it in segments. Other photo editing programs will probably have something similar.

• I did see the posts from TangoAlpha stating that UtraScatter was used in the creation of a new "Hemlock Folly", so I'm assuming it's okay to use UltraScatter in commercial projects as long as the artist makes or owns rights to the models they use?

It is absolutely OK to use UltraScatter to create commercial projects. The end user will not need the script to render a scene that was created with UltraScatter instances - but they would need it if they wanted to re-scatter the instances into different positions.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932

I have Photoshop Elements. It does have a radial gradient tool, but not one that applies the gradient around the ring, afaik.

PhilW said:

If you are using Photoshop I'm pretty sure that there is a radial gradient type which will do your gradiant in one step rather than having to do it in segments. Other photo editing programs will probably have something similar.

The radial gradient isn't what you want (it applies the gradient along the radius, i.e. from center out). You can use the "angle" gradient (if your version has it, mine is PS CC 2015.5), that does exactly what you want. Choose green as the gradient color, set the angle to where you want to start with the full 255 green and you are done. 

Ciao

TD

• JOdel said:

Related to that question; is this likely to be something that will be ever required of the end user in order to make use of somethig that's been built using it? Or is it only likely to be needed if one is building one's own scene? How about when combining or extending a scene which uses it?

The Harpwood Trail was created with the use of UltraScatter and users of that product are not required to own UltraScatter. The script creates "Instance Groups" which are a built in feature of Daz Studio so you can do to UltraScatter groups whatever it is that can be done to regular instance groups.

If the user wants to re-scatter the groups or change some parameters then they would require UltraScatter.

• Melissa ConwayMelissa Conway Posts: 590
    edited August 2016

Whoa, easy button! Worked like a charm. Thanks!

thd777 said:

The radial gradient isn't what you want (it applies the gradient along the radius, i.e. from center out). You can use the "angle" gradient (if your version has it, mine is PS CC 2015.5), that does exactly what you want. Choose green as the gradient color, set the angle to where you want to start with the full 255 green and you are done. 

Ciao

TD

Post edited by Melissa Conway on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I did see the posts from TangoAlpha stating that UtraScatter was used in the creation of a new "Hemlock Folly", so I'm assuming it's okay to use UltraScatter in commercial projects as long as the artist makes or owns rights to the models they use?

???

So far as I know, the only things that get added to your project by a scatter are the instances, some parameter data (so the script dialog can be repopulated), and the lowres proxies. For most scatters the proxies are just cube primitives. There's one exception (see below). I had specific permission to submit stuff to the store before the script's release, but in general I don't think there's anything that can't be distributed, assuming you own the IP of the objects scattered. The script is not required to open a project containing scattered objects, nor is it required to render. However it is required if you subsequently want to rerun the scatter.

The exception: If you create a scatter of trees, there is an option to use a lowres tree proxy (you can see some examples on my thread). That tree proxy object is located in \data\HowieFarkes\UltraScatter and you would need to include it IF your project uses this proxy. Howie will need to make a statement confirming it's okay to include the proxy, and also regarding general commercial distribution.

Hope that makes sense.

• ChuckdozerChuckdozer Posts: 453

Thanks guys! Just the answers I was looking for smiley

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

How is the documentation?

This is outside my comfort zone, but...only because there was no tool like this to create what I wanted previously so all those renders and ideas went in the trash.

• ChuckdozerChuckdozer Posts: 453

This is outside my comfort zone, but...only because there was no tool like this to create what I wanted previously so all those renders and ideas went in the trash.

Reading the included .pdf was the first thing I did after installing; it is easy enough to understand and is well illustrated. I highly recommend giving it a look before playing around with the script.

yes

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

Reading the included .pdf was the first thing I did after installing; it is easy enough to understand and is well illustrated. I highly recommend giving it a look before playing around with the script.

yes

thanks, Chuck.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Whoa, easy button! Worked like a charm. Thanks!

thd777 said:

Ciao

TD

Sorry I got the terminology wrong but the Angle Gradient is exactly what I had in mind.

• No worries. And thanks! smiley 

PhilW said:

Sorry I got the terminology wrong but the Angle Gradient is exactly what I had in mind.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2016

Very tempted am I to scarf it up this minute. No... will have to wait. Very busy with Carrara 8.5 Pro at the moment and any purchases are made for it. Will get back to DS later this year.

Sorry Howie... I do have all your Bundles for Carrara bookmarked and will have them eventually.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • JPiatJPiat Posts: 68

Hello,

First test with ultra scatter.

My remarks :

1) If the pivot point of the geometrie is not a the bottom, you will have problem : floating instances.

2) Impossible to use the limit by surface tools, the script failed. I must test on more simpler geometry, but I use the greometry editor tools to create my surface inside DazStudio.

RC01_Reduc.jpg
    2835 x 1571 - 846K
  • JerifeJerife Posts: 272

Wow Jpiat, Bravo!

That is an awesome image to get lost in it. Love the mist, the scattered village and all those details of an implausible History

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

That's amazing!

Did you use ultra scatter with houses?

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584
    edited August 2016
    JPiat said:

Hello,

My remarks :

1) If the pivot point of the geometrie is not a the bottom, you will have problem : floating instances.

2) Impossible to use the limit by surface tools, the script failed. I must test on more simpler geometry, but I use the greometry editor tools to create my surface inside DazStudio.

Awesome image!

re. 1: If you set the rotation point to "bottom" the instances should no longer float - but generally best to use objects with the pivot point in a suitable location

re. 2: How are you creating the selections? What should be working is to select some polygons with the geometry editor tool, then right-click and select Geometry Assignment -> Create Selection Set from Selected...  Give the selection set a name and then it should turn up in the "Limit Scatter to:" list.

Post edited by HowieFarkes on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

I can't wait to try this out. Yes I have bought it as I can see me using it alot. 

JPiat said:

Hello,

My remarks :

Awesome image!

re. 1: If you set the rotation point to "bottom" the instances should no longer float - but generally best to use objects with the pivot point in a suitable location

re. 2: How are you creating the selections? What should be working is to select some polygons with the geometry editor tool, then right-click and select Geometry Assignment -> Create Selection Set from Selected...  Give the selection set a name and then it should turn up in the "Limit Scatter to:" list.

Thank for the reply.

For the second point : I'm still unable to make it work.

1) I create a plane and a surface call "Path" in the Geometry Editor.

2) I create a group of two simple primitive

3) I launch the script, select the "path" surface in the advanced tab

4) It fails : Empty group are created, that's all.

I join the scene just in case.

Feature request for the 1.1 version : A full 0°->360° range for rotation on the Y axis and an increment : Buildings prefer 90° for rotation.

duf
    duf
    SimpleTest.duf
  • JPiat said:
    JPiat said:

Hello,

My remarks :

Awesome image!

Thank for the reply.

For the second point : I'm still unable to make it work.

1) I create a plane and a surface call "Path" in the Geometry Editor.

2) I create a group of two simple primitive

3) I launch the script, select the "path" surface in the advanced tab

4) It fails : Empty group are created, that's all.

I join the scene just in case.

Feature request for the 1.1 version : A full 0°->360° range for rotation on the Y axis and an increment : Buildings prefer 90° for rotation.

Are you not creating a "Selection Set"? It must be a selection set - not a surface - for it to work.

That's amazing!

Did you use ultra scatter with houses?

I use approx10 ultra scatter groups for houses and vegetation. The base mesh is the terrain from mars habitat (stonemason)... Thanks to Howie Farkes, we can challenge Vue users...

• peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308

Works for me.

I is for Instancing.jpg
    3000 x 1688 - 1M
  • This product ROCKS in so many ways!

MoravianChurch.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M

Started with http://www.daz3d.com/winter-terrains-for-daz-studio , placed 15,000 DA Festive trees across it. 3DL render, used some postwork in Photoshop to adjust tone and place lens flare.

Running the script took about 45 minutes (yow!), render time was about 1hr 30 mins (I rendered at double size and then shrunk it down).

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

This product ROCKS in so many ways!

oh man that is awesome. Now get better textures on the fence and building (or replace the biulding that has better maps and you will have one hell of an image. 

• Thanks. Yeah, haha, I've been wrestling with the textures on the church all morning. wink 

Szark said:

oh man that is awesome. Now get better textures on the fence and building (or replace the biulding that has better maps and you will have one hell of an image. 

Aaaand it would help if I actually attached the image.

Ultraforest wintery hills.png
    1748 x 1080 - 3M
  • Melissa ConwayMelissa Conway Posts: 590
    edited August 2016

I'd like to see that. Where's the image? 

Edit to say, looks like we cross-posted. Looks great!

Started with http://www.daz3d.com/winter-terrains-for-daz-studio , placed 15,000 DA Festive trees across it. 3DL render, used some postwork in Photoshop to adjust tone and place lens flare.

Running the script took about 45 minutes (yow!), render time was about 1hr 30 mins (I rendered at double size and then shrunk it down).

Post edited by Melissa Conway on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Looks great, Will. yes

I think 4 hours is the longest I've waited for the script to complete. Maxed out sliders, masks, constraints, old i5 . . . then I decided I didn't like the result! Ho hum!

I noticed about 1 hour into the render that one tree was visibly floating. ARGH.

I ended up just fixing it in post rather than render again. Heh.