Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Yes, I'm using 4.9 because of the Iray difference, and for $2.80, I can Connect.  I usually don't buy sets or props that are Connect only, I can wait a year.  

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited July 2016

Picked up the Infamous/Scandalous bundle a while back when it was on sale.  Aside from having to figure out that I needed to import the cr2 files to get it to load, it seems to work fine with the V4 to Genesis2 autofit package.   Updated for iray with a combination of MEC4D, jgreenless, and parrotdolphin's shaders.

DS 4.9, Iray, Photoshop

Infamous2PS.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by TabascoJack on

That looks really good with those shaders, and love the DOF in the foreground!

edited July 2016

I have always disliked this character, and this didn't win me over either.  I don't particularly care for the excessive  eye glare and to me, the mouth is distorted and puckered- Is she supposed to be in pain? And that's a serious question. Is she shattering glass, or what's going on there? I know some of you may like her, we'll just have to disagree. Second, do you like or dislike what's going on with the hair at the back of her head, at the nape of the neck? I don't. (Edit- but Octavia Hair has it too. I'm going to render that and see what it looks like.) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    Novica said:

That looks really good with those shaders, and love the DOF in the foreground!

Thanks!  When I went back and looked at it again in Daz earlier today, I saw the proper DS files for loading up the clothes....I'm not sure why I didn't see them originally.  Regardless, it worked doing imports, so I won't complain.  I've updated it with the walking stick and sunglasses.  Will post that to my Art Studio thread.

edited July 2016
    Novica said:

I have always disliked this character, and this didn't win me over either.  I don't particularly care for the excessive  eye glare and to me, the mouth is distorted and puckered- Is she supposed to be in pain? And that's a serious question. Is she shattering glass, or what's going on there? I know some of you may like her, we'll just have to disagree. Second, do you like or dislike what's going on with the hair at the back of her head, at the nape of the neck? I don't. (Edit- but Octavia Hair has it too. I'm going to render that and see what it looks like.) 

Edit: Octavia Hair Below.

octaviaBACK.jpg
    491 x 600 - 190K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,135

Hmm, I didn't like those loose strands of hair at the nape either. I'm often irritated by the short loose strands on lots of hairstyles - to me, if you have long hair it should all be long (except a fringe - or should I say "bangs"?) and any short bits look to me as if someone has sneaked up on the character with a pair of scissors and stolen some! I'm a great one for neatness blush

edited July 2016

So it appears the hairs at the base of the neck are common with these pigtail products. Frankly, I never had that much straggly hair when I had pigtails- and even now, pulling my hair into those, I don't even have them NOW.  So not a fan of the excessive nape hair on either product. It's too thick for new hair growth IMO, and uneven. 

I do like the hair in hair part in the Twintails. In the promos, it looks very realistic to me. It also provides curly pigtails, which is different from the straight ones we already have.  Don't miss all the morphs!   Octavia Hair (G2 / G3) also has a ton of them.  The Twintails is for Genesis 3. I know Gen2 can go Gen3, is the reverse true?  (Octavia is for both generations.) 

I was piddling with Octavia Hair and decided to show you Hye for Mei Lin 7. OziChick does great eyes!  And one of Hye I did previously with Maia Hair because she looks SO different!  I darkened Hye's teeth- a mild white-gray for the diffuse with a light blue gray for the translucency. Otherwise, they're too bright white.

hyeOctaviaHair.jpg
    400 x 575 - 205K
    HyeMaiaHair2SIG.jpg
    533 x 800 - 262K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2016

MelanieL said:

Hmm, I didn't like those loose strands of hair at the nape either. I'm often irritated by the short loose strands on lots of hairstyles - to me, if you have long hair it should all be long (except a fringe - or should I say "bangs"?) and any short bits look to me as if someone has sneaked up on the character with a pair of scissors and stolen some! I'm a great one for neatness blush

LOL, it reminds me of when I was five years old, and my sister decided I would be the "King" because she was the Queen. You can guess what she did to me. When my horrified mom asked if she'd cut my hair, my (7 year old) sister matter-of-factly told her that a King didn't have long hair!

EDIT: And in this case, it isn't just neatness, IMO it's realism. When you pull your hair into pigtails, it's long enough to get it those. You'd HAVE to take scissors to it to get these looks- clunky and uneven and thick. 

Post edited by Novica on

Okay, I did Jerry Hair in this post. Let me go check out the back on that one. 

edited July 2016

Edit: I've checked and this part is about right. 

jerryhairback.jpg
    491 x 600 - 280K
    pigtailsback1.JPG
    356 x 375 - 55K
    pigtailsback2.jpg
    359 x 412 - 21K
    pigtailsback3.jpg
    236 x 314 - 13K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

As someone who shaves their head, just looking at those pics makes me feel itchy.

Novica said:

Uh oh. Not liking the back part, and so I thought maybe I needed to scale it. No scale option. No increase the poofiness of the back of the head options. Adjustments are ear, cheek, neck. NO top of the head/back of the head (which isn't unusual.) So the vendor got the scraggly right, but I sure don't like that hair part. As usual, anyone who has this hair that wants to double check it, perhaps I missed something. I went through the morphs and adjustment. If you use Scene>Head of the hair, it scales the entire thing- and there is a big bald area which is what shows the skin. (And the Head of the hair only has left ear, right ear, and the tails.) So I think I've been very thorough.

Yeah, I had that one too and returned it, it really needs to be fixed.

edited July 2016

I'm kinda torn- I edited my post (which you quoted, and that's okay, people can see both my views) because the part looks a bit off to me- some of the hair goes into the part so there's not a clean line coming down the middle and that is good. But if you look at the parts of the real hair, where it strands do go into the part, it is not symmetrical- doesn't go all the way across- or is pulled only from one side. That's where I think the part could be improved. But the vendor definitely got the scraggly's right for the base of the neck.

Post edited by Novica on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

I like that vendor and have a lot of their hair products, but I just couldn't get that one to look right for my needs, especially with a bright outdoor HDRI, for me it was more than just the part. But in their defense they tried to work with me and even made a custom transparency map for me, but in the end I still returned it. A week later though I spent that money on other hair they sold, so it still worked out for both them and me.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

the back of the hair doesn't bother me as much as the top parting does. I do like their hair, but I always feel there is something wrong with the top parting in them all....it looks too 'bald' to me .... like there is a strip of bald skin and the hair is growing out of either side. 

Novica said:

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

The hairstyle isn't worn by anyone not even children where I live. As a young person it was used by very small children. Now the only character I see wearing ponytails like those is Harley Quinn. I'm not a fan.

I don't like the promo girl at all. She looks deformed and gives me the heebie jeebies. 

The hairstyle isn't worn by anyone not even children where I live. As a young person it was used by very small children. Now the only character I see wearing ponytails like those is Harley Quinn. I'm not a fan.

I don't like the promo girl at all. She looks deformed and gives me the heebie jeebies. 

LOL, love that term (heebie jeebies) and agree. Wonder where that expression came from? Will have to do some research.

From Wikipedia:

The term is sometimes attributed to Billy DeBeck, citing a 1923 cartoon of his in the October 26 edition of the New York American:

You dumb ox – why don't you get that stupid look offa your pan – you gimme the heeby jeebys!

Heebie jeebies caught on quickly and very soon began appearing in many newspapers and works of literature in the United States and, from 1927 onward, the UK. For example, here's an entry from the Van Nuys News on November 6, 1923, just a few days after DeBeck's cartoon was published:

Bill Alton showed up poorly in center field. The boys seemed to have the heebie jeebies.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Uhm ... Alice in her many forms is mostly a fantasy character ... and I even met a real person that looked like her. Just saying ...

As for the twin tail hair style - I see grown up women (30ish) with this hair style quite often. Looks like it is a European thing (and Ariel Shanim and Siliphiel are Italian).

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

And of course...

edited August 2016

Kerya said:

Uhm ... Alice in her many forms is mostly a fantasy character ... and I even met a real person that looked like her. Just saying ...

As for the twin tail hair style - I see grown up women (30ish) with this hair style quite often. Looks like it is a European thing (and Ariel Shanim and Siliphiel are Italian).

Umm. While it is conceivable that any genetic combination is possible, I'm skeptical that this particular combination, in conjunction with those pencilled on eyebrows is an entirely natural occurence. 

Perhaps the hairstyle is popular in Europe. It certainly is not where I live. I do see it a lot though in 3d, and in comics in combination with the schoolgirl fantasy outfits which is partly why I have a strong aversion.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

We mostly see the pig tails in small children and younger teens.  Not in grown ups very often. Ponytails are far more common - for all ages in this area.

Oh, I love that Tjohn!! Particularly the posing of her fingers. The sheet music has scribbles on it or something, rather interesting. (I had 9 years piano.)

It's a hand-written music notation I found in my Runtime (might have been Poser). The pose is part of the Sultry Bundle, with a few tweaks. Thank you.. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I had no idea the comfort living room could look that good.  Off to peruse it a bit closer...Looks awesome all around!

The walls and ceiling are individually selectable. I deleted some of the furniture and one wall..

I had no idea the comfort living room could look that good.  Off to peruse it a bit closer...Looks awesome all around!

Yeah, we featured it when it first came out (wasn't me) and it's a very elegant but practical set. I think I mentioned it in my list of individual wall sets. 

edited November 2016

Fayette Hair doesn't appeal to me at all, looks like a tangled mess IMO. The lighter shades look the worst.  On the flip side, Rochelle Ponytail looks awesome. If a hair is for Genesis 3, can it work on Genesis 2? I don't remember if I've tried that. I know I can do Gen 2 onto 3, does it work the other way around? 

And that woman who I thought had the puckered/pulled face looks painful to me by her eyes, somewhat bloated- in the Amazing Fantasy scrolling promo. 

Post edited by Novica on

Yes I agree about Fayetteville hair. Too crinkly for me and in the image where her hairline is showing with the red hair the scalp looks off. I like Rochelle hair especially the movement but it is outside of my price range.

Poor Alice. No comment

This discussion has been closed.