Is Hexagon a good 3d Modeler To Create 3d Objects For Daz Studio Pro?

Michael L RogersMichael L Rogers Posts: 141
edited July 2016 in Hexagon Discussion

Is Hexagon a really good program to be creating 3d objects the would perfectly work in Daz Studio Pro, that I could sell in the Daz Store? So if I wanted to build, castles, or medieval towns all the way to futuristic buildings, would Hexagon be a great program to do this in, which would work smoothly in Daz Studio Pro?

Mike

Post edited by Michael L Rogers on

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Some of the PAs use Hexagon in part or full-time.  There is no real reason you can't produce top-notch models with Hexagon.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    edited July 2016

Dreamlight has a set of videos about this. According to Val, Hexagon is more than enough. Personally I think it's a long learning curve and some of the videos could use updating IMO.

Many people suggest Blender. Lots of tutorials for Blender on Youtube.

Post edited by Roman_K2 on
  • DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited July 2016

Everything (minus the dog) was modeled and mapped in Hex. ;)

Post edited by Chohole on
  • MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215
    edited July 2016

Is Hexagon a really good program to be creating 3d objects the would perfectly work in Daz Studio Pro, that I could sell in the Daz Store? So if I wanted to build, castles, or medieval towns all the way to futuristic buildings, would Hexagon be a great program to do this in, which would work smoothly in Daz Studio Pro?

Mike

Hexagon was used to create many, many, many DAZ models, "back in the day." Many PAs still use it. I'm just guessing, due to some things I've seen, that some PAs noted for their environment models have moved on and are using things like Silo, C4D, 3DS, Modo and, of course, Blender. BUT, you don't need any of those to make excellent-quality models. Hexagon has everything you need for creating the geometry.

However, I'd strongly suggest you rely on Hexagon only for basic UV Mapping and then tweak the UV map in another program. You can use the free UVMapper or even Blender for that. I'd also recommend you produce your textures outside of Hexagon and not rely on trying to use its "paint" features for much more than just getting a basic visualization. Use GIMP, if you're looking for a free program, or Photoshop/similar. (Note: Other free dedicated UV mappers exist, like Roadkill, Lithunwrap, etc.)

PS - Hexagon is infinitely easier to use than Blender as well as any of the more expensive 3D modeling apps. You will not be able to learn 3D modeling or produce complex objects as quickly, as early, as you would be able to do with Hexagon vs any other 3D app that's out there. That's just my opinion, but I'll stand by it against any argument to the contrary. :D (For its capabilities, Hexagon is cheap in the realm of "pay software.")

Post edited by Morkonan on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Carrara can also do Modeling and hs some good tools as well as doing the Texturing in the same tool.

• spaltozspaltoz Posts: 24

Mike

Hexagon is a very good program and it would be perfect if they'll update the software with all its bugs.  I do have the Hexagon and have gotten it when it was on sale.  It is great for beginner and this is how I learn on how to model in the first place.  You could make a descent model once you implemented a good material and texture on it with proper UV maps.  My only tip when using Hexagon is to save your work frequently before it acts on you.  Otherwise you'll be pulling your hair because you have lost your precious work or model.  This is a great program together with Val Cameron's and Jason Whites' Tutorial "Hexagon Revisited" which I've also purchased.