Add Figures in Specific Location of Scene

I'm noticing that buildings etc. from the Daz store load figures in a specific area of the scene. That makes sense, but generally it's not where I'm composing my scene. If I'm looking at the scene through the default camera, for example, and add a new figure, that figure is loaded by the front door, which may not be where my scene takes place.

Ok, so I move the figure where I want it, say inside a room, and add a new pose. The figure then relocates to the front door with the new pose.

I bought this awesome arena where my scene is taking place in the center of the caged area. However, when I add items to the scene, or update them with a new pose or wardrobe, they appear on the other side of a wall.

Is there a setting in DS that can override the default "create/modify figure here" location so that items are added in the field of view where I'm looking?

Comments

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

The easiest option is to relocate your scene, rather than your figures. This way your figures are loaded where you want them.

Also to prevent a pose from moving your figure, hold down the control key as you double click on the pose, then you will have the option to uncheck transpose across the x,y,z axis and the figure will stay in place.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

The easiest option is to relocate your scene, rather than your figures. This way your figures are loaded where you want them.

Thanks for your help. I don't understand though, if my scene takes place in the center of an arena, why would I want to move it elsewhere?

Also to prevent a pose from moving your figure, hold down the control key as you double click on the pose, then you will have the option to uncheck transpose across the x,y,z axis and the figure will stay in place.

Thanks for this tip! I've used control click before but didn't know it could be used to keep the existing figure in place.

edited July 2016

By default your figures and any props you load will be loaded at 0,0,0.

So I'm saying that its easier to move or rotate your battle arena, so that the main action you want to frame is at 0,0,0 rather than relocating your figures, especially if you have a lot of figures or props to load into the scene.

Post edited by FrankTheTank on

So I'm saying that its easier to move or rotate your battle arena, so that the main action you want to frame is at 0,0,0 rather than relocating your figures, especially if you have a lot of figures or props to load into the scene.

Oh! Now I see what you mean. enlightened That is an awesome tip, thank you so much!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189

Press and hold [Alt] whilst dragging-n-dropping the icon for an asset in one of the asset views onto the viewport. The center of the target will be interpreted as the world origin for the loading of that asset.

frank0314 said:

Press and hold [Alt] whilst dragging-n-dropping the icon for an asset in one of the asset views onto the viewport. The center of the target will be interpreted as the world origin for the loading of that asset.

Thank you @frank0314!

Thanks Frank0314, I didn't know about that one

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    frank0314 said:

Cool!

So many hidden goodies in Daz Studio!

Thanks for the tips!

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606

Some may also find Mcasual's snap loaded scene items to "hello you come over here" to current camera position script useful...

mcJcomehere script

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjcome

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    frank0314 said:

I find going in to Top Camera View to be the easiest when using this 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

THANK YOU for this.  its been driving me nuts.  I do usually move the scene instead but if I have a large overview scene and then want to just focus in on one part of it, Moving things around can get very...interesting.. and a lot of the time I need the large scene structure to stay the same so its not always practical or easy to just move the main scene.

Mythmaker said:

Some may also find Mcasual's snap loaded scene items to "hello you come over here" to current camera position script useful...

mcJcomehere script

Thank you @Mythmaker!

Szark said:
    frank0314 said:

I find going in to Top Camera View to be the easiest when using this 

Thanks @Szark! I'll keep this in mind when I try it out. The problem with Top for me is that--depending on the architecture/building etc.--it puts me a million miles away or stuck in part of the ceiling, so I never see my figures on the ground with Top view.

edited July 2016

For that scenario I use LT Wireframe draw style and use the Orthographic cams to position roughly. Then I use the Perspective Cam to Frame the Object and therefore zooming in on it. Change the draw style back to either Texture and Smooth Shading and fine tune the positioning. 

Post edited by Szark on
    Szark said:

For that scenario I use LT Wireframe draw style and use the Orthographic cams to position roughly. Then I use the Perspective Cam to Frame the Object and therefore zooming in on it. Change the draw style back to either Texture and Smooth Shading and fine tune the positioning. 

Thanks for this, @Szark!

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

Have you tried creating a new group, put your figure into the group, move the group to where you want the figure, and then apply your pose?

Jimbow said:

Have you tried creating a new group, put your figure into the group, move the group to where you want the figure, and then apply your pose?

No, can't say that I tried that! Thanks @Jimbow!

Jimbow said:

This works nicely, @Jimbow. Thank you!

Szark said:

Wow! Lit Wireframe shows exactly where my figures are. This is going to be so helpful. Thanks @Szark!

frank0314 said:

This tip is so cool, @frank0314. Nice to add a figure exactly where I want it. Thank you!

This worked really well with the battle arena, @DominicTesla. By adding an initial figure and using Lit Wireframe it's easy to see where the default loading takes place. I then moved the entire cave until the figure was in the center of the arena. New figures, poses etc. now load right there as well. Thank you!

That's all I have had time to test so far. Will try the script that @Mythmaker recommended soon. Thanks everyone!

I will add this page to my list of usefull links. Nice a short and to the point.  

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    frank0314 said:

thank you.

edited August 2016
    Mythmaker said:

mcJcomehere script

Sorry for the delay. I just tested this, and while it does move the figure, it also makes it enormous. That's V7's boot in the lower left corner! The scale is still set to zero however, so not sure how much it scaled it to.

Also, no matter what distance I set it at in the pop-up, it places it in the same location.

Capture.JPG
    768 x 723 - 105K
    Post edited by dawnblade on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    dawnblade said:
    frank0314 said:

Thanks!

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited June 2018

I just downloaded it and test the script.  The problem is that the default setting puts the objects right-smack-in-front-of-the-camera. It's not scaling it.  I went into the IDE and made 2 changes that make it more usable - change the value of default_wDistanceValue to 100 instead of 10.  At least that will put the object far enough out in front of the camera so you can see it.  The other change was to set wDistance.max to 10000.  In a world with scenes like Terradome 3, a max setting of 1000 really doesn't get you very far away.  Also, the object is going to be up in the air.  The script sets the Y value to the same as the camera.  I thought about fixing it but if you are trying to place the object on a hill, then it would end inside, so I figured it was better to leave it where you can see it.

OK - 10,000 isn't going to do it either.  I'm working on a full sized castle scene and moving the horse the entire 10000 units only put him half-way across the courtyard.  The other oddity is that it doesn't seem to be able repeat the action e.g. move horse 10000 units, move horse again 10000 units.  It just keeps putting it in the same place.  I'll keeping playing with it.  In the meantime ctrl-Z, change distance seems to work.

Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • LoonyLoony Posts: 1,798

frank0314 said:

I know this is from 2016, but THANKS! this is great and just what I wanted :D I hate to move back and search the item :D I want it there where I look^^

• EManglEMangl Posts: 30

frank0314 said:

most excellent tip, thanks soo much :-) 

• MediacMediac Posts: 18

frank0314 said:

Try as I may, this does not work on mac (like other things - filament would be nice).  Does anyone know the mac version of this shortcut?  Tried command, option and control to no avail.