Convert MMD PMD Freebie models to OBJ for Daz/Poser

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
edited February 2015 in Freebies

This is more of a "how to" get a freebie, and I use a specific example.

There are a TON of freebies for MMD (MikuMikuDance) on DeviantArt and other sites. So, if you wanted to use one in DS (or Poser), you can download the .PMD files. Then using Blender (this is not hard in blender at all, so you don't need to be scared of it)

So to do this:

- Have Blender (I used version 2.67 for this)
- Install the plugin, meshio (LINK), and then you should see it in the user preferences as seen in the picture
- Open Blender, and delete the cube (right-click to select it, then delete, enter)
- File-Import the .PMD file (for example, the one for this hair -> LINK )
- NEW: Due to me retrying this with Blender 2.71 recently...you need to right-click the mesh (select it) in Blender, and then be sure to check the "Selection Only" option on the Export dialog pane on the left. If not, you get all of the rigging and other objects you probably don't want
- Export to an OBJ, and Close Blender
- Open Daz Studio
- File Import OBJ (I found Silo settings were the closest)

BAM! Hair freebie! (see picture)

Feel free to ask questions, if you get stuck. This is just about models, do a search in the forums (for mmd), and there are some other threads about animations, etc.

NOTE: this OBJ method, you don't get any of the rigging, which can be found in the model, so it is limited, but depending on the model, it still may be valuable! :)

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on

Comments

• DifferentlyAliveDifferentlyAlive Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Cool, thank you! My daughter and I were just talking about this.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Glad it helped! I've been doing more toon renders, and for short hair, this works like a champ. Long hairs, due the lack of rigging, not so much.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If you are comfortable in Blender, you can 'tweak' long hair in it, before you export it as an obj. This would work for fine tuning the fit and keeping it from intersecting the body. Just import a Genesis figure...

Depending on the way it is constructed, a Cloth sim or Soft Body would do a lot of the tweaking.

• edited February 2015

when i download the plug in it does not appear i also have tried copying it to addons folder, i have tried in blender 50 alpha and 66

Post edited by spayetti_642210f923 on
  • DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 508
    edited February 2015

Thanks for the info. Im gonna try this

Edit BTW how to download that hair ? I cant see a link (not very good on DA)

Post edited by DigiDotz on
  • ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Oh, this is very cool! I should caution people who just want to jump into a whole salon's worth of new free hair OBJs -- I typed in "MMD hair" and "MMD freebies" into Deviant Art's search engine and pulled up many links to downloadable meshes and textures. However, quite a few of these meshes were not created by the posters, but instead taken from 3DCG and converted to MMD.

Regarding 3DCG, it appears to be a character creation/design/posing game [according to http://mikumikudance.wikia.com/wiki/3D_Custom_Girl ], but I have no idea what the use and licensing terms are for meshes taken out of the game. Does anyone know??

--MW

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Good to know! Would free hairstyles used in The Sims 2 work? For instance, PeggyZone has many fine and free sets, but whether they could work in DS... I don't know. They do contain OBJs I think.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited December 1969

Wow this looks good :) thanks for bringing it up.

edited February 2015

Sorry, I don't remember which model that was, it was like a year ago. Since they are not rigged, I don't use the longer hair models. That being said, this one has some cute hair models: http://xoriu.deviantart.com/art/Montecore-Hair-Pack-2-DL-407227341

Regarding the installation of the plugin in Blender, I am not an expert, I just followed a tutorial myself. I would make sure the version of Blender running works for the plugin downloaded, find a good tutorial for installing a Blender add on, and follow it.

A quick search on my system shows in residing here:

C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\#.##\scripts\addons\blender26-meshio\pymeshio\pmd

Sorry I can't be more help!

I added a few notes to the above, due to me retrying this with Blender 2.71...you need to right-click the mesh (select it) in Blender, and then be sure to check the Selection Only option on the Export dialog pane on the left.

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,797
    edited December 1969

Yes MikiMiku content has always presented the same dilema for me
    in some respects their licensing very strict as in included vocaloid figures cannot be used for renders but on the other hand users scrounge mesh from anywhere they can.
    Some indeed do model from scratch mostly in Blender and those are good items and figures to use but finding them the challenge with all the other crap around.

• daemonzaindaemonzain Posts: 0

I know this post has been long dead but I wanna ask this just in case someone stumbles around to see it.

Is there any possible way to do this without blender? Blender doesn't work for me and I have ALL the required things : an extremely good spec, something about python and openGL. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to answer this. :3

• I'm having a problem installing this program in Blender. Trying to use it in version 2.76, and while it says it's installed it, it doesn't seem to show up in the user prefferences window.

You can try this one instead...there are more than a few plugins for importing MMD models:  https://github.com/sugiany/blender_mmd_tools

Just Google "mmd import blender"

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785

Is there any way to bring one rigged via .fbx  or collada these days?

Doesn't seem so, but this was new to me on a search: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67464/getting-objects-from-blender-to-ds

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited July 2016

I happened across this, which allegedly imports the MMD files with the rig into Blender, but I'm on the road so I can't try it...
    https://github.com/sugiany/blender_mmd_tools

Post edited by WandW on
  • CriosCrios Posts: 2,670

Isn't possible load MMD .PMD files, directly in DAZ?

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Apples and oranges, Crios. DAZ Studio (purportedly) can use .pmd files, yes, but those are Poser morph files. Although they have the same extension as the MMD .pmd files, they are a completely different format, the latter being MMD model files. In fact, the .pmd extension was also used by Adobe Pagemaker, that being yet another format having nothing to do with the other two. This is the sort of confusing nonsense that occurs when an industry lacks consistent standardization, unfortunately.

SixDs said:

Apples and oranges, Crios. DAZ Studio (purportedly) can use .pmd files, yes, but those are Poser morph files. Although they have the same extension as the MMD .pmd files, they are a completely different format, the latter being MMD model files. In fact, the .pmd extension was also used by Adobe Pagemaker, that being yet another format having nothing to do with the other two. This is the sort of confusing nonsense that occurs when an industry lacks consistent standardization, unfortunately.

I know that are different type of files, just asking if isn't possible import them directly in DAZ, without passing from Blender.

• someone made an importer on a site all in Japanese, I never could figure out how to download it.

http://bouyke.hatenablog.com/entry/2015/06/16/203249

• I see in English now and still cannot download it!!!!

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited November 2016
    Post edited by Ruphuss on

Seeing the file unzipped, part of this file must be put under Content/My Libraries folder, and other part under DAZ directory.

I must try it at home.

The readme says [modified after translation]:  It [works with the] Daz Install Manager (DIM) [].
    Copy [the] zip file to the Download folder of DIM, it will be displayed in DIM Ready to Install, so press the INSTALL button to complete.
    (By default, it will be C: \ Users \ Public \ Documents \ DAZ 3D \ InstallManager \ Downloads)
    After that, you can read files of .pmd, .pmx with the usual import operation (File → Import).

I just tried it, and it installed...I downloaded two hairs from DA = one imported and one crashed.  So it seems your mileage may vary!

Render of one that worked:

3drender.jpg
    768 x 768 - 198K

Who knows how it works with the characters, I do not think we're so lucky that even maintains rigging XD

I tried two rigged hair this time, and one worked and the other crashed.  I tried a rigged base from DA, called, "Yyb Bases +DL" and it did load in as a rigged figure.  That being said, there were gaps in the mesh, and bending was not looking good, even with SubD and smoothing.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,797
    edited November 2016

well this one came in with IK and all

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 216K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

So,in some cases, the rigging is safe.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited November 2016

From a while ago when I played around with it...it seems that it's more of how good the model and the rigging are to begin with than anything else when importing them.  If it's a good conversion with 'standard' rigging it should work fairly well.  If the bones have odd names (not in Japanese odd, but odd-odd, as in not logical) or are not lined up well, then the results will be poor or worse.

Also, version matters...that importer is limited to v2 or something like that...I saw the list on the translated page, and forgot to copy it.

And there some DA downloads I tried from certain posters that everything failed...

mmd.png
    512 x 512 - 106K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

I've installed the plugin, but Daz won't load it at all. I've even downloaded the public build, but there's still nothing...

As far as I'm aware, I've downloaded the right distribution package. I'm running Windows 10, but I'm not sure if that's enough to affect it.

I don't think it's meant for me to work with MMD. I can barely use the original program, so not being able to install the plugin is hardly surprising (to me, that is).