Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Billboards are planes with a .png on them where the background is invisible and only the image shows. They only show up properly if the angle to the camera and light isn't too big. turn them side on and they will disappear. Try them yourself, the individual images I posted should work if you download them as .png images. Use the surfaces tab to add them to a 20" x 1 division. Change it to Iray using the Iray Uber Base. One image in the Diffuse Color and the same one in the Cutout Opacity, change this one in the LIE to use the Grey Scale From Alpha Channel. Turn off any Glossy slider that show. You may have to rotate it to get it in position.

I also did a quick close-up of Ronan.

Not my forte and only tweaked the skin a little, Colin Hair.

First one is Dome with default HDRI. Second is Sun and Sky.

ronan-001.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 465K
    ronan-002.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 475K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    Fishtales said:

Billboards are planes with a .png on them where the background is invisible and only the image shows. They only show up properly if the angle to the camera and light isn't too big. turn them side on and they will disappear. Try them yourself, the individual images I posted should work if you download them as .png images. Use the surfaces tab to add them to a 20" x 1 division. Change it to Iray using the Iray Uber Base. One image in the Diffuse Color and the same one in the Cutout Opacity, change this one in the LIE to use the Grey Scale From Alpha Channel. Turn off any Glossy slider that show. You may have to rotate it to get it in position.

What are instances, I'm getting these two confused. Billboards are planes, are instances low poly models of one thing, repeated? 

Instances are place settings for the geometry that has been used to create them. They don't actually exist as such, not like a clone or duplicate which reuses the geometry so doubles, trebles or multiplies the geometry by the number of clones/duplicates created. Instances are like ghost images of the original. Instances can't be changed individually, clones and duplicates can. Instances also keeps memory usage down as there is actually only one real instance.

I'm going to be online a bit less this week, lightning struck close to our neighborhood, and some of us lost internet connection (my neighbor has it, I don't. Using my hotspot from my phone but not going to run up my data usage with that.)  Can't get an appt before Friday, how pathetic is that? So, will pop in and out. 

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited July 2016

Instances are a bit like the shortcuts on your desktop: they look like the real thing, but really they are just a pointer to it, or a redirect. They tell the rendererer "Put an 'Oak tree 45ft' here" or "Put a 'Genesis 2 Male', rotated y:90 and scaled 120% here" without having to keep repeating the geometry, shaders etc. That does mean you can't change individual instances (beyond rotation, scaling and position), and any changes to the "master" object will be reflected in all its instances. You can have hundreds or even thousands of instances in a scene with very little impact on memory usage (I was going to say or render times, but that really depends on what you've instanced). Instances don't necessarily show in the viewport, even though they appear in the render.

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
    edited July 2016

Instances are a bit like the shortcuts on your desktop: ..... Instances don't necessarily show in the viewport, even though they appear in the render.

Ah, that makes sense. Stonemason's large lake has instances IIRC.  I found Instances Plus+  when I typed Instances in store search. (I don't have time to get sidetracked at the moment and explore this, but while we're on the subject, thought I'd mention the products.)  They really need to fix search, a boxing ring and boxing poses etc etc have nothing to do with instances. So tired of it! 

If there's any other Instancing products, anyone feel free to mention. wink  

Post edited by Novica on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,003
    Novica said:

Instances are a bit like the shortcuts on your desktop: ..... Instances don't necessarily show in the viewport, even though they appear in the render.

Ah, that makes sense. Stonemason's large lake has instances IIRC.  I found Instances Plus+  when I typed Instances in store search. (I don't have time to get sidetracked at the moment and explore this, but while we're on the subject, thought I'd mention the products.)  They really need to fix search, a boxing ring and boxing poses etc etc have nothing to do with instances. So tired of it! 

Seach is flagging the word "instance" in the decription of those products. That's the way search works.

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited July 2016

Is is ok to mention freebies here?  For a stripped down script to play around with just to get the hang of working with instances, there's this one:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/77603/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Replicator-for-DAZ-Studio

It has just the basics like randomizing the location, scale and a few other parameters.  I wanted to find out if my system would bog down or crash if I made too many instances. I made 1000 instances of a tufts of grass prop to populate a field, and didn't notice a difference.  But when I made 100 instances of a tree, it was a different story.  Even moving around the viewport was bogged down!  The nice thing is that you can click off the eyeball and make them all invisible at once, and there's no impact on your system resources.

I definitely want to look into one of these commercial products with lots of features.

Like this one that is currently under development, and in the Commercial Products forum.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/101156/ultrascatter-advanced-instancing-for-daz-studio#latest

I hope you get a chance to review this one when it comes out, Novica.

Post edited by dHandle on
    edited July 2016

Wow, an extra 40% off the Kenji 7 base or bundles when one of those items are purchased brings the pro bundle down to $39.68!  I'm getting the male clothing by Kang- his items are always well made. (Won't be featuring anything as I won't download using my cellphone hotspot, still without internet. So will be after Friday.) Anyone who wants to feature Kenji or other items, please do so! 

Post edited by Novica on
    Tjohn said:
    Novica said:

Seach is flagging the word "instance" in the decription of those products. That's the way search works.

Poses don't have instances do they?

edited July 2016

Sure, we all love freebies!

That upcoming product looks great!!!!!!

Post edited by Novica on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    Novica said:

Not out yet, but HowieFarkes has announced UltraScatter, which brings the power of Carrara's replicators to DS, and even has one or two tricks that Carrara can't do. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/101156/ultrascatter-advanced-instancing-for-daz-studio I was a beta tester, and so I've had several weeks to get to grips with it. I used Instances Plus+ on my Medieval Hall & Garden set (mentioned a few pages back), and I personally think UltraScatter knocks it into a cocked hat. Been updating my old Hemlock Folly set to use it. It needed updating anyway, since the instances were all saved visible, and that slows the viewport somewhat (understatement!). There are some WIP renders here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1383181/#Comment_1383181

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Not out yet, but HowieFarkes has announced UltraScatter, which brings the power of Carrara's replicators to DS, and even has one or two tricks that Carrara can't do .... Been updating my old Hemlock Folly set to use it. 

I saw you mention that yesterday. Glad to see an update for Hemlock Folly and looking forward to trying Ultrascatter when it's available.

edited July 2016
    Novica said:

I'm going to be online a bit less this week, lightning struck close to our neighborhood, and some of us lost internet connection (my neighbor has it, I don't. Using my hotspot from my phone but not going to run up my data usage with that.)  Can't get an appt before Friday, how pathetic is that? So, will pop in and out. 

It is pathetic. But in the meantime, you need a couple hundred feet of ethernet cable to tap your neighbor's system. 

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,003
    edited July 2016

I don't mean to belabor the point. Sorry. blush

From

http://www.daz3d.com/boxing-gym-male-fight-poses

I think the author meant "for instance".

Capture.JPG
    1328 x 342 - 150K
    Post edited by TJohn on
    Tjohn said:

I don't mean to belabor the point. Sorry. blush

From

http://www.daz3d.com/boxing-gym-male-fight-poses

I think the author meant "for instance".

LOL!  

I can just see a boxer in the ring, and suddenly there's twenty of his opponent, all exactly the same, filling the ring behind the opponent!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,130

Oh, bad luck Novica - glad you weren't directly struck of course, but losing your connection is pretty annoying. Hope it gets restored by the weekend.

edited July 2016
    MelanieL said:

Oh, bad luck Novica - glad you weren't directly struck of course, but losing your connection is pretty annoying. Hope it gets restored by the weekend.

Thanks- fortunately I have one of the high volume family plans for the phone to connect through, so I have rollover every month and can use it up in this emergency. The South has been having a lot of big storms the past week, quite a bit of lightening. But no tornado activity!

Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2016

So how hot was it for you with the Real Feel heat index? 113 in Pensacola. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse across the United States. We had zero breeze indecision  Thunderstorming right now at 6:40pm, wish it were earlier!  (It did NOT rain at 12pm.) 

weatherJuly20.2016.jpg
    605 x 482 - 796K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

94 tomorrow and 95 on Saturday. 
    Don't know what the heat index will be though.  Sounds awful.

That's too dang hot! Our temps were just a few degrees lower than yours but the humidity was 10% lower, so the heat index was only 95-100F (only he says!). I don't think I could take Florida weather, I already consider July and August the two worse months in the midwest.

Well, you can trigger that extra 10% off with a PC new release (as long as it's over $1, and I don't recall anything in the store that is under a buck?)  so that was a no brainer. 

I picked up Tender Moments and it took a couple dollars off Notilize's Classroom. It's got Iray AND 3DL.It has a wood teacher's desk, which I prefer. Drawers open and close. The desks also have a bigger surface area. I like the fire extinguisher, chalk, erasers- still prefer having some old fashioned props instead of white board only. (You can always add it.) Also comes with bookcases.

If you're shopping for school related items, I also noticed Skool Daze has locker props, haven't tried them though. For easily recognizable notebooks, Back To Class has those composition notebooks.  

And don't forget your younger school kids- Play School Props is adorable, complete with a Teddy Bear!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I just picked up Harpsberg for $9.99.  I don't usually buy the new releases unless they are in the $12 range or under but the theives alley looks like a great prop and will fit in very well with a world I am building.  And with just one new item in the cart all the genesis 2 items that are on the special sale get the stacking discount as well so I picked up a bunch of stuff I needed (okay, wanted) that has been on my wishlist for ages.

edited July 2016

I just picked up Harpsberg for $9.99. 

I got it too, picked up the new male to trigger it IIRC. I did it in the wee hours of the morning (over 12 hours ago.)

GOT INTERNET! Apparently it was a lightening strike a mile or so away, and there are over 380 more homes waiting to be connected back. Every day, we've had storms for the past week. And a heads up, there is a "filter" that goes between your cables that connects your home cables to the ones that run to the street, and some are ultra sensitive/not able to handle much surge.(He said think of it as a power surge protector.)   Before this happens to you, you might call and ask if you have the most up to date filter so lightening nearby doesn't knock you offline. (Ask them what to look for.) We did NOT have a direct strike. We've had this filter for two years and techs haven't told us that could be the reason why we've lost internet a few times. (Some techs don't carry this newer one on their trucks, so instead of telling us, they just got us reconnected and that was that IMO.) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2016

Have been comparing pigtails. First two are Jerry Hair on P3D Angel (love those eyebrows!)  using the teen setting from Growing Up. For Octavia Hair, compare the third and fourth renders. It looks better IMO if you click the cog and go to Parameter Settings, then undo the limits so you can thicken the tails. (Look at the tail on your right in the third render, then compare it to the thicker one in the last render.)

BTW, Octavia Hair is for Genesis 2 and 3.

angelTeenOrigHead.jpg
    577 x 787 - 368K
    angelTeen100.jpg
    577 x 787 - 419K
    angelTeenOctavia Hair.jpg
    577 x 787 - 430K
    angelTeenOctavia HairParmaOff.jpg
    577 x 787 - 434K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2016

We just lost power, I was doing 50's Diner. Lost all my info I typed, so starting over. Basically, the ceiling can be Surfaced out, but the walls can't. There is an Upper Wall and Lower Wall but they are all connected. This is a poor setup. You can't opague out (Cutout Opacity in Surfaces) a wall which isn't in the camera view, which would help reduce render times, and it also could let in additional light. (The latter is probably more important, don't know how much time you'll shave off taking out a wall.) 

So will be awhile. We're on generator power. It says it is equipment protection, going to be out for the next hour. 

This is a small render of about 600 wide by 400 tall.    10 minutes: 64%   Done around 14 minutes.

ISO 181.62   Exposure Value 13.27    Shutter Speed 84.71      Burn Highlights .19   Crush Blacks .31

EDIT: Sorry took so long. My neighbor's not home, her alarms were going off and hurting the dogs' ears, so I had to get ahold of her then go in and get the alarm turned off.

50s Diner.jpg
    557 x 487 - 291K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Thanks for that Novica, re the Diner set. I'll take it off the wishlist - I NEED walls adn ceilings that can be either made invisible or deleted. I won't buy a set, no matter how gorgeous it is, if the room is all one piece. 

Novica said:

We just lost power

Oh no, not again! Good thing you have a generator in your neck of the woods. 

Yep, totally get that. Unfortunately, I am usually WAAAAAAY past thee return period before I try most of the things I buy. Well, that is, until a few weeks ago (and sadly that's after three years of NOT testing them in time.)  Nikisatez's have separate walls I believe. I know Penthouse Living does, and I think Bachelor Bedroom does too. 

This discussion has been closed.