JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]

Comments

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,085
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:
    slowly but surely it comes to the point my canyon turns out finished :) (the main things, just a bit here and there, but the main thing seems to be near to be finished)

Nice :D

• GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Sadly got blown away in the great tornado of '53.. very sad indeed :(

Real answer? We had to keep some stuff behind.. didn't want to put all the eggs in one basket etc... ;)

So it'll show up in an expansion? BTW, is that 50's diner we keep seeing blurry in the background of the PC promo shots yours? Are we gonna get it this month?

And here's a question that might actually get answered: What's the historically accurate screen ratio that's supposed to be projected on that thing? 16:9, or did drive-ins use something else?

The oldest movie screens were 4:3. Televisions (once they got out of the experimental stage) copied it, because someone already saw the profit in broadcasting old movies for them. But the '50s got into Cinemascope and other wider screens to try to bring people into the theaters rather than sit and watch old movies on their televisions at home. Not altogether sure whether the drive-ins opted for the old-style or the new aspect ratio when they were built. It may depend on just when the Drive-in was built. But 4:3 is fairly safe, with a wider screen a posibility.

I would imagine that drive in theatres used to same film format as any enclosed theatre would, it would have been too costly to make different film formats or aspect ratios just for drive in movies, after all, the projections systems were pretty much the same.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

True, but as the decade wore on, the theaters with the older screens couldn't show the new films in their entirety since the screen clipped the edges.

After a bit people shooting films for wider screens tried to compensate by shooting "TV safe" with all the action taking place in the middle of the screen so the film could be broadcast to televisions' 4:3 ratio without losing anything but scenery.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

Kludge said:
    A little texture addon and oh look, we're in Parkside ;)

ROFLMAO! A man who knows! West Park/Parkside is one of my favorite series. No, it is my favorite. So much coolness to play with and mix 'n match and just have a ball with. It's also comparatively easy to customize as needed which just makes it more so coolerer. This is one that has boundless possibilities for any of a number of eras. :-)

Conversely, a new texture addon and Parkside becomes just a regular town.. there's lots in store for that series, as well as the others I have created (and have yet to start)
    ...you're bound and determined to keep me in the PC aren't you...

BTW here's a rework I did of an older scene. Parkside Head also makes a good security Watchtower.

Im_home.jpg
    800 x 800 - 422K
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    JOdel said:
    Sadly got blown away in the great tornado of '53.. very sad indeed :(

Real answer? We had to keep some stuff behind.. didn't want to put all the eggs in one basket etc... ;)
    So it'll show up in an expansion? BTW, is that 50's diner we keep seeing blurry in the background of the PC promo shots yours? Are we gonna get it this month?

And here's a question that might actually get answered: What's the historically accurate screen ratio that's supposed to be projected on that thing? 16:9, or did drive-ins use something else?

The oldest movie screens were 4:3. Televisions (once they got out of the experimental stage) copied it, because someone already saw the profit in broadcasting old movies for them. But the '50s got into Cinemascope and other wider screens to try to bring people into the theaters rather than sit and watch old movies on their televisions at home. Not altogether sure whether the drive-ins opted for the old-style or the new aspect ratio when they were built. It may depend on just when the Drive-in was built. But 4:3 is fairly safe, with a wider screen a posibility.

I would imagine that drive in theatres used to same film format as any enclosed theatre would, it would have been too costly to make different film formats or aspect ratios just for drive in movies, after all, the projections systems were pretty much the same.
    Appreciate the help, and the link Jack posted was useful too. Thanks guys!

I'm really looking forward to that hinted-at diner/kitchen (I'm in two obscure fandoms it'll be handy for, never mind general usability) so I was put a bit off by the drive-in, which I have no use for whatsoever. But that drive-in has a lovely ticket/concession booth, and a snazzy sign I'll bet can be reworked (haven't had time to check, can visibility on the lettering be turned off?), and a couple handy things like fencing and a ground plain. I like it.
    The sign's lettering has its own material zones so setting their opacity to 0% leaves it ready to be turned into a sign for a motel, cafe, or whatever. Have I mentioned recently how much I love versatile PlatClub items?
    screenshot.10-10-2012_23_.26_.33_.png
    623 x 500 - 339K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Playing with it, but I wish the screen had been an own material zone, screens are made for playing.

drive-inWWIIIs.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 431K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kludge said:
    A little texture addon and oh look, we're in Parkside ;)

ROFLMAO! A man who knows! West Park/Parkside is one of my favorite series. No, it is my favorite. So much coolness to play with and mix 'n match and just have a ball with. It's also comparatively easy to customize as needed which just makes it more so coolerer. This is one that has boundless possibilities for any of a number of eras. :-)

Conversely, a new texture addon and Parkside becomes just a regular town.. there's lots in store for that series, as well as the others I have created (and have yet to start)
    ...you're bound and determined to keep me in the PC aren't you...

BTW here's a rework I did of an older scene. Parkside Head also makes a good security Watchtower.

Yup, that's my job :)

Nice work - I see what you mean about Parkside Head... works perfectly.

edited December 1969

Have I mentioned recently how much I love versatile PlatClub items?

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Playing with it, but I wish the screen had been an own material zone, screens are made for playing.

Heh, see.. I don't *always* get it right.. :)

edited December 1969

Totte said:

Most of the time you do :-)
    But I've seen that on several TVs and wall screens too in different sets, they map all in one map. As you might want to boost ambient for the screen, it becomes tricky even if you use an ambient map, you're bound to get some "leakage" if you pass 100%. I made my two videoscreens on Rendo so that the screen is one zone, much easier to play with.

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Totte said:

Most of the time you do :-)
    But I've seen that on several TVs and wall screens too in different sets, they map all in one map. As you might want to boost ambient for the screen, it becomes tricky even if you use an ambient map, you're bound to get some "leakage" if you pass 100%. I made my two videoscreens on Rendo so that the screen is one zone, much easier to play with.

Yea - that's about as good as I can hope for.

I've made a note, if I happen to do any work on that pack I'll get that added in.

edited December 1969

I've made a note, if I happen to do any work on that pack I'll get that added in.

Great!
    I know we are all individuals (like Brian said in the movie about his life), and we all use the lego bricks you make in different ways.
    But keep up that great work, you stuff is always top notch, great detail without being cumbersome to work with. I think that's why Pete started this thread in the first place !
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

In the meantime it should be fairly simple to make a mask for the screen so you can apply a new image over the base texture in LIE (for simple imaeg replacement) or with Shader Mixer (to adjust other settings such as ambience - though you could use LIE-images in the strength channels for those with a regular shader too).

edited December 1969

In the meantime it should be fairly simple to make a mask for the screen so you can apply a new image over the base texture in LIE (for simple imaeg replacement) or with Shader Mixer (to adjust other settings such as ambience - though you could use LIE-images in the strength channels for those with a regular shader too).

Made it using OmniGraffle (my fav program for doing things like that). You could probably create a new material zone in DS too.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited October 2012

Or you could use the Polygon Editor Tool and make that section have its own Mat zone. If I had the item I would see if it was possible to do.
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Or you could use the Polygon Editor Tool and make that section have its own Mat zone. If I had the item I would see if it was possible to do.
    Tonight I'm gonna try a plane primitive a smidge in front of the screen mapped with my desaturated movie still as an opacity strength mask and an ambient strength mask, see how that works. Which isn't to say I wouldn't appreciate an official update giving the screen its own matzone, 'cause I would.
    edited December 1969

are you implying there is more to come in the Drive-In set? add ons? a concession stand? projection booth? make out poses?

Looking at the documentation page I found this:
    Moonshine's Diner Interior I
    Moonshine's Diner Interior II
    Moonshines Diner
    Moonshines Diner Exterior Poses

Looks like we're in for more moonshine ;-)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

It took ruddy ages to complete (and cross-posted elsewhere) due the lighting i used, but Atrophy takes centre stage ...

Haunting.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 604K
    edited October 2012

SimonJM said:
    It took ruddy ages to complete (and cross-posted elsewhere) due the lighting i used, but Atrophy takes centre stage ...
    Nice! I like how the monster's afraid of that angry ghost.

Totte said:
    are you implying there is more to come in the Drive-In set? add ons? a concession stand? projection booth? make out poses?
    Looking at the documentation page I found this:
    Moonshine's Diner Interior I
    Moonshine's Diner Interior II
    Moonshines Diner
    Moonshines Diner Exterior Poses

Looks like we're in for more moonshine ;-)
    Diner, yay!

In the meantime it should be fairly simple to make a mask for the screen so you can apply a new image over the base texture in LIE (for simple imaeg replacement) or with Shader Mixer (to adjust other settings such as ambiance - though you could use LIE-images in the strength channels for those with a regular shader too).

Tonight I'm gonna try a plane primitive a smidge in front of the screen mapped with my desaturated movie still as an opacity strength mask and an ambient strength mask, see how that works. Which isn't to say I wouldn't appreciate an official update giving the screen its own matzone, 'cause I would.
    WiP of my next PCI submission -- the plane primitive is a bit in front of the screen, white diffuse (no map), white ambient at 100% (no map), with a desaturated and contrast-enhanced version of Cradle to Grave as the opacity map. No postwork yet.
    PCI20121011-Scene03-final02-x2000.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 472K
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • KludgeKludge Posts: 354
    edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Kludge said:

Hmmm ... where'd you get the Chevvie Nomad?

That one is made by Nationale7, its available at Rendo.

Cool, thanks. I have a couple of his models, all pre-1940, and like them. I may actually break down and buy a more recent vehicle. :-)
    edited December 1969

My latest PCI submission. Jack's stuff used: Atrophy, Forlorn for Parkside Point Interior (the rubble), Parkside Heath, and Moon Gate (the decorative stonework next to the step) -- that's all on the movie screen, and it's all visible. Then there's Moonshines Drive-In Movie Theatre (with the Moonlit Moonshines Drive-In textures). DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Horror Movie - Double Feature

HorrorShowDoubleFeaturex2000b.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 498K
    edited December 1969

Nice renders SimonJM and KickAir 8P :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

A Bryce render

"but Muuum, you said it was a moon gate"

Moongate_5_copy.jpg
    675 x 900 - 474K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    A Bryce render

"but Muuum, you said it was a moon gate"

Wasn't that close be the victim of "self censorship"? Love it, that's my kind of wicked humor!

edited December 1969

lol - yea.. what Totte said :)

edited December 1969

Parkside Freight! Wooohoooooo!!!

• jaunke_29fff27795jaunke_29fff27795 Posts: 144
    edited December 1969

:cheese: Yep... exactly my thought.

Grtz Jean-Claude

• foxyladyfoxylady Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jack,

Thank you for the train engine. I really like it. It was awesome going into the PC items for the week and seeing it.

• cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well, looks like foxylady and I had the same idea, lol. Thank you very much for the train engine. It looks fantastic. I can die happy ;)

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Very nice job on the locomotive. I live about a hour's drive from where the real ones were built.

This discussion has been closed.